Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    edited December 2014

Kb33:

My Stage 2 was little different than Sarah's. In August I had a Lat flap completed. At the pre op appointment Dr. D suggested another small flap from my left side. Doing that would have meant more time in the hospital and longer in New Orleans. My husband and I not planned for that so stuck with the original plan of revisions of scars and reducing and lifting left breast. The morning of surgery Dr. D decided the hip flap would have been too firm and suggested using the fat and skin from the lat muscle on my left side. We decided to leave that as an option for the future. But honestly I want this to be the last surgery. Currently the only place really hurting is the revision of my GAP scar. Everything else is mildly sore. We have been out walking but not as much as Sarah and her husband. I too have a compression girdle on. Actually feels really good on. I had 2 drains coming out of surgery, one was removed as I was dressing yesterday. The other on my hip should come out this week end. I don't have bruising just a little tenderness. I am more tired and sore from this surgery than from the flap surgery in Sept.

I was late to the Icee party. Enjoyed my coke one after breakfast.

Jana

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited December 2014

Well girls, my surgery today was cancelled because Dr was sick:( I am now rescheduled for Dec 17. So I may be asking some of you how stage 2 went. I went yesterday for pre-op and had all my markings done but got a call late yesterday afternoon and they cancelled. He also said he would do a stacked flap on my left failed side. So I will wait and now have a few more days to prepare for the holidays!

• julieho
    julieho Member Posts: 164
    edited December 2014

Okay girls, I am packing today and leaving tomorrow for my Stage 1 DIEP at NOLA with Dr. Wise this Wednesday. Finally got really excited thinking that next week at this time I will be 3 days out of surgery and on my way to the Hope Lodge for 6 days to recover before heading back home to Vermont.

Also a gumble of nerves.

Any last minute advise on what to pack. I have LOTS of "get the bowels going" supplements packed for after surgery, three pairs button down pajamas, a robe, slippers some comfy stretch pants and comfy button down shirts, my makeup, hair dryer (hope I can do that soon) and a comfy pair of boots for the trip home.

I am guessing I don't need much else. I am bringing my phone and computer and some zinc and vitamin C for before and after surgery. Supposed to help boost the immune system and healing.

Wow - it has been two and a half years since my breast came off and I woke up with hard plastic expanders that then became infected and one had to be removed. After three more surgeries I ended up with implants May 2013 but have just never felt right with them. I hate having my pectoral muscle on top of my breast and my implants are so hard and uncomfortable. Thank god they aren't for some people.

I know this is the start of a somewhat long journey again but I pray I fly through this and am doing my second stage my late March and then healed and good to go for the summer and early fall. I will likely do nipples and tattooing after my daughters wedding next September because I just want to be able to swim and feel good all summer.

You ladies have so, so helped me and I so hope I will be of help to some of you now.

Sending love and prayers to all those who are having surgery soon, 1st or 2nd stage, those waiting for surgery and all of you beautiful women who have gone before me and are recovering or just living life with their new breast.

Much love and thanks,

Julieho

• DianneNC
    DianneNC Member Posts: 113
    edited December 2014

Very best wishes for you, Julie. It is not the easiest path to take, but the results are very well worth it. Have faith in the doctors and just keep reminding yourself: this too shall pass! You will look and feel great before you know it!!

• MerrellGirl
    MerrellGirl Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2014

Oh Julie how I am so happy for u! I stayed at Hope Lodge earlier this month and I can't say enough good things about it. U probably are bringing too much but it's really hard not to. As others have said, u will need extra space to bring back all the stuff you'll receive from the center, so pack less or pack an extra small duffle. That advice was spot on and I didn't heed it...ended up buying a duffle. Lol

Hugs to you for persevering along this road. Check in with us when you're up to it!

• Seashellie
    Seashellie Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2014

Best wishes Julie! You'll be so glad you're doing this and Dr. Wise is wonderful. I don't think you'll need anything more than is on your list... I packed too much. Will be thinking of you and sending healing vibes :-)

Merrellgirl - It was so wonderful to meet you at the hospital, it made my day!!!

• Kb33
    Kb33 Member Posts: 33
    edited December 2014

julieho

You will need an extension cord for hospital. Power outlets are far enough away that you not have good access to your personal electronics easily without it.

Sneakers! I hope to meet you walking laps on the nursing floor on Thursday evening ;-)

Kb33

• julieho
    edited December 2014

Kb33 are you there this week? It would be so nice to connect with someone from this group in person. So yes we may see one another cruising or "shuffling" the halls on Thursday.

Everyone thank you for all you have taught me and all the support and love. Right back at you.

Take care all,

Julieho

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited December 2014

Gramof2boys

I reflected your surgery reschedule above!

Dec 17 - Gramof2Boys - Stage 2, Dr. T., NOLA.

• Gramof2boys
    edited December 2014

Thanks Springtime! Can't wait for it to be over!!

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2014

I'm glad you are close, Gramof2, so you didn't have to reschedule tickets, hotels, etc. but DANG that must have been frustrating! I hope you are keeping busy with fun holiday activities while you wait.

• julieho
    edited December 2014

Down in NOLA now. Did pre-op today. Loved the hospital. So nice. Met with Dr Wise and he said my CT showed great vessels so surgery looks good for tomorrow. I am actually mostly just so excited.

I am feeling like I am gonna rock this surgery and be feeling good and in no time...well...maybe a little time 😜

But seriously I feel so confident in all the folks I met and really do feel like I am in good hands.

I will post in a few days.

You ladies really got me through all the fear, questions and the rest going into this and I can't thank all of you enough.

I pray anyone with surgery coming up does great and all you healing, I will be with you soon and we will all do great!

Much love

Julieho

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2014

I love how confident you sound, Julieho -- you made the right decision! Beautiful results ahead!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited December 2014

Julieho, that's why we like to say "all you have to do is show up". They do such a great job of taking care of you and making you feel comfortable. Once I arrived, I knew I was in the right place. Loving, healing thoughts coming your way. You are going to be fabulous

• Kb33
    edited December 2014

greetings post stage 2 from NOLA ICEE room.

Stage 2 was not what I expected but I seem to be coming along. Sore... Omg...feel like an elephant is kicking me everywhere. Lol. But finally the drugs from PACU are out of my system and I have a clear head. Got the ok to leave by 8:30 in the am.... Woohoo. Not that it isn't great here... But so ready to recover in my own space.

This corset thing is for the birds!

• Sassy01
    Sassy01 Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2014

kb33,

I had my Stage 2 just last week. I didn't have any pain, but was sore. Totally looked like someone took a baseball bat to my entire body! Take it easy... I pushed myself too much and I think it knocked me back. Rest, relax, and heal!

• julieho
    edited December 2014

Hi everyone

I had my stage 1, 5 days ago. Doing ok but finding the bones in my sternum and chest really sore.

The worst has been the foggy brain. I left hospital Saturday and felt less blurry and yesterday only took one nap and walked about a mile two times but today I was foggy brained and so tired again. Rested and slept most of the day. Got out at dinner for a mile walk and got back exhausted.

Just wish my energy was better and my brain clearer. But managing the pain has been hard. My head feels so much better with less drugs but then my pain overtakes me by surprise and it is awful.

Just want to go home and have my drains out. I see doctor this Wednesday for post op and we fly home Thursday. So hoping drains come out at least a few then.

Been a bit down today. Any of you experience that?

Wishing everyone who is recovering or recovered or getting ready the best.

This too shall pass.

Take care,

Julieho

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited December 2014

good to hear from you Julieho...the foggy feeling is def from the pain meds and perhaps some residual anestaesia (sp) Give yourself time...it was a huge surgery. Do not overdue it in these first few days. Hope your post op goes well too

Mags

• Kb33
    edited December 2014

julieho

Sounds pretty normal. MIPS and down for the first few weeks. Don't push it just do what's comfortable. I switched to muscle relaxers instead of pain meds to control the comfort level and leave my mind feeling a bit normal. Perhaps you can try that. Each day will get a little better ;-)

• caligirl3
    caligirl3 Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2014

Hello Julieho,

Glad to hear you made it through surgery safely. We had our surgeries on the same day. Wow you are already walking that much! That's great. I have not been able to walk long distances due to bad back spasms. Very painful lower back. I also was discharged on Sat. I'm having alot of swelling and pain in my left breast. Are you experiencing anything like that? The flaps look great though. I'm also feeling a bit more blue today. Mostly because I feel so helpless. You will make it through this! We both will. Good luck on your trip home. Hope you feel better soon:)

• julieho
    edited December 2014

caligirl3 - I guess we both had stage one the same day. Were you at St Charles Surgical Hospital?

I was able to do laps in the halls pretty much right after surgery starting Thursday. I was surprised that I was walking more upright then I thought I would be. But my stomach does feel so very tight and I had bilateral DIEP SO THE middle of my chest and the sides are what is SO SO sore and painful.

Walking feels good and loosens up my back some. I was surprised to see Howe much swelling there is everywhere, even in my back and especially my lower back.

I had a down day today. Maybe day 5 is an emotionally tough one.

I send you positive thoughts and pray we heal as quickly as possible but listen to our bodies and take care of ourselves. That gets hard to keep doing after several days. I just want so bad to feel normal.

I can't wait for the swelling and bruising to go down so I can see if I have something that resembles Breast but at least they feel mostly soft and warm unlike the hard implanys I used to have.

Take care all,

Julieho

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited December 2014

The muscle relaxant (Flexerall or something like that) turned me into a zombie who just sat and stared into space sadly. Didn't feel like talking to anyone. Didn't take a lot of those pills. Not sure they're any better for the head than the narcotics.

• MerrellGirl
    MerrellGirl Member Posts: 21
    edited December 2014

julieho & caligirl3,

gentle hugs to both of u. Yes, I recall a down day right about the 5 day mark, and yes the painful swelling too (I had bilat stacked diep/gap on Nov 11). I PROMISE u two that everything u feel is absolutely normal so don't give it too much thought at all. Walk if u can, sleep if u can't. Just make sure you're eating protein and taking something to get ur plumbing back up and running.

I can't believe the difference in just 5 wks. For me the shower at day 2 was torture. My pain meds had wore off and I was freezing. I was so down that day, wondering if I should have done it. But in just a few more days, I knew I was getting better (then had another down day, lol). Stay ahead of the pain. Try not to concern urself with how much ur able or not able to do. Keep ur mind at ease-u r on the other side now! MerrellGirl

• julieho
    edited December 2014

Just back from my one week post op. Felt so good to get four of my five drains out. One left in my left hip.

I fly home tomorrow which is also so exciting. I just know I will do better at home. Be able to play with my dogs and do stuff around the house a bit. Doctor said things look good. He thinks I may want small implant in stage 2 to get more volume. I am small but I honestly don't want implants again. I would rather just be fairly small then have implants. At least they are soft and warm. I should be able to schedule stage 2 for early March. Then I will pretty much be done until I tattoo the aereolas. But right now I just want to feel myself again.

I am a bit scared of doing lipo. I wish we could just leave it the way it is now but I can decide in a few months.

Emotionally feeling much better. Really like Dr Wise at Center for Breast Reconstruction. He seems so confident that it makes me feel better too.

Take care everyone.

Julieho

• caligirl3
    caligirl3 Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2014

So happy for you Julieho! I am having pretty much the same experience you are. Same feelings at least. I have my post op appt. tomorrow. I hope I can get some of these drains out! I'm glad you are feeling better. Hope you have a safe trip home. Thank you Mary625 and MerrellGirl for sharing your experiences. Its reassuring to hear from others who are further along in the stage. Merrellgirl you are so right about the plumbing part. It felt like labor all over again the first time I went! That is with stool softeners and mirilax. I cant (dont want to) imagine without taking those. Thank you for your kind words. This is a major experience we are going through, I sometimes underestimate how huge this surgery really is. We need to give ourselves a break and let others help us as much as possible. We will get through this better than before. We just have to be patient getting there. Good luck at home Juleiho.

• Sassy01
    Sassy01 Member Posts: 29
    edited December 2014

Julieho, the lipo is no big deal! I am two weeks out of Stage 2. The bruising is incredible but I was walking miles without pain meds the day after surgery! Have a safe trip home- you will definitely feel better once you get home and back into routine. I had some pretty emotional days this go around, but once I got back to work and my routine things balanced out! I'm still slow moving but no pain at all..

• julieho
    edited December 2014

Two of the five happy faces that greeted me when I got home today.

I can't say enough about how good it feels to be home again. So good.

Now just a few more weeks of taking it easy, listening to my body and resting when I should and I will be feeling pretty good again.

Last week I really was discouraged, felt like I never should have put myself through another big surgery but even with the post-op pain of surgery my Breast feel like they are me again. The implants always felt awful, I hated having my pectoral muscle pulled over them. Now, even though they are very small they are warm and soft and just feel like a part of me. And the abdomen is stiff but amazing how fast we can heal.

Thanks to all of you - I can't say enough how grateful I am to have found out about DIEP And then making the decision to go to the Center for Breast Reconstruction at NOLA. There are lots of talented, great docs but this place has this down to a science and it really builds confidence in having such a big procedure.

Now, after getting up at 3:30 AM and taking two plane flights home I think I will take a nap.

Take care,

Julieho

First pic is my chemo rescue pup Zola (she was rescued from a crack house while I was in chemo and is just a doll) the second pic is Ziggy a rescue pup we got five years ago. We have three other rescues and as I write this all of them are piled around me in my bed. 😊

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited December 2014

You sound great, Julieho. Going to NOLA is a special experience, indeed. One I continue to be grateful for. Get lots of rest, plenty of protein and water, and small doses of walking. Nice that you had a welcoming committee!

• PinkHeart
    PinkHeart Member Posts: 271
    edited December 2014
    Julieho,

Happiness is a warm puppy -- and warm breasts. 😊
  • Gramof2boys
    edited December 2014

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm 1 week out from my DIEP/ stage 2 revision. I am feeling well had 4 of my 5 drains removed yesterday at my post op visit. I had tummy tuck, sgap donor sites lifted also.. I am in no pain but tired as shit! I am up for like 2 hours and then need to lay down. This has been my 3rd surgery since August, with 2 of them being very long. I plan on laying low for awhile and then decide on my next step. Good luck to everyone who has surgery scheduled in the next month or so. I can't say enough about NOLA!