Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

NOLA in September?

Comments

• julieho
    julieho Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2015

Hi Neta69,

I am not sure if you are having your BMX at the same time. I did a bi-lateral DIEP but had implants in, so I didn't need to do the button down shirts because I could raise my arms over my head right off because they didn't mess with my nodes.

I found that yoga pants that were a bit supporting around the abdomen but full through the legs were good for me. I liked having the compression of those around my abdomen for a few weeks after surgery. In the hospital I only needed a comfy pair of pj's, a robe for walking the halls and that was pretty much it. After I got out of the hospital I stayed at a hotel for 6 days until my post op. Again, mostly spent time in comfy pj's or the yoga type pants, I had flat slip on shoes that were easy to put on, also brought slippers for hospital and hotel. I liked wearing loser fitting tops because of all the drains that were underneath. But, I also brought some cardigan long sweaters so I didn't feel so bulky with the drains. My hospital here in VT had homemade little cotton pouches that hung from a ribbon around your neck. Those held drains nicely. If you sew I would recommend making some. I found those were really nice after my original BMX and reconstruction.

As for what to do to get ready, my family doc said extra Vit C (2,0000 mgs per day) and some zinc before and after surgery to help with healing and hopefully keep me germ free from winter colds etc. The Center sent a list of what supplements and perscriptions I had to stop before surgery (some up to two weeks ahead) and after. I eliminated any of those and then sent my nurse at the Center a list of all the medications, vitamins, supplements, etc I was taking to be sure.

Some women on discussion boards elsewhere said to stop drinking caffeine, coffee, soda, etc. It helps with your blood vessels, so I weaned myself off of regular coffee, but when I saw my doctor at the pre-op he said they don't care one way or the other if you drink coffee before or after. I do know they recommend we hydrate like crazy the week before so I took a water bottle everywhere with me.

I think you will be very happy with them. I was extremely well cared for. I was a nervous wreck before the surgery and honestly once I was there I was pretty much fine, just wanted to have it over with and begin the healing process.

Best of luck. I think you should be very happy once you have healed. There are a few tough weeks for some of us (I had several) post-op but I am 6 weeks out from Stage 1 today and for the past 10 days I have really felt more or less myself again. Still not as active but feeling so much better.

Take care,

Julieho

• hhayes91
    hhayes91 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2015

Thank you!!! Surgery is one week away and while I'm a bit anxious (thank god for Xanax) I'm really at peace with my decision!

• Neta69
    Neta69 Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2015

Thanks Julieho! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your advice. I'm having delayed reconstruction. My BMX was in 2013. I wonder how recovery differs when they only do the flap not the mastectomy

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited January 2015

Two women in my town had delayed reconstruction when I had my BMX/SGAP. They were feeling so much better at 4 weeks, out driving and running errands while I was still on pain meds and dragging around and I'm at least 10 years younger than they are. They were worried about me then I reminded them that they'd had their MX years before. They agreed that made all the difference.

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2015

They will have a lovely robe for you in the hospital. Also they have drain pouches as I think someone else said. I don't even recall wearing any of my own clothes there. I brought way too many shorts (it was September) which I did not feel like wearing over my compression garment because it went down the legs to the stop of the knees. I don't know if doctors other than Dr. Massey use the compression garment. Skirts would have been helpful. Button down blouses (sleeveless at that time of the year) was what I wore. I'd bring your own over-the-counter meds so you don't have to buy them at Walgreens on your way to the hotel, including laxative and Advil for when you're coming off the pain meds. In my opinion, something like Miralax is necessary and advisable. They will give stool softeners, but they never seem to do the trick for me. Flip-flops or slippers definitely. They will give you surgical bras. Most definitely...shower gel!!!! They will instruct you on how to take your shower and supervise your showers at the hospital. They use a wonderful shower gel in a washcloth, and you ring it out over your new breasts so that soapy bubbles go over the area, but no scrubbing. I think that's harder to duplicate with soap. Plus I wouldn't want to use some of the soap that hotels provide.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited January 2015

I added this to the list! Welcome Neta.

Feb 4 - Neta69 - Stage 1 DIEP, Dr. D., NOLA.

• skyeomalley
    skyeomalley Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015

I am new to this group.  I had a left mastectomy in 2006.  I am consulting with the doctors at The Center for Breast Recovery in New Orleans.  I only live about an hour away from there.  I am very scared about the pain.  I consulted with one dr. last week in New Orleans but after researching it sounds like the center is the best place to go.  My question is about the recovery in the hospital.  The dr. that I consulted with told me that he gives a pain medicine that numbs you for the first 3 days.  Has anyone else had that?  Can you please describe the pain?

• Sassy01
    Sassy01 Member Posts: 29
    edited January 2015

skyeomalley,

I had my bilateral DIEP done at the Center in August. I don't think they numb you for three days, but they will give you a pump for pain meds and then switch you over to oral pain meds. They definitely make sure you are comfortable. They are thebest!

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,532
    edited January 2015

Welcome to BCO Skyomalley, where you will find feedback from very knowledgeable and experienced people.

Asking questions is so important to build your own knowledge of your situation and to plan your treatment with confidence.

We wish you the best

The Mods

• Gramof2boys
    Gramof2boys Member Posts: 60
    edited January 2015

Sky

I really didn't have much pain with any of my surgeries. When they do the flap surgeries they only cut skin and fat, no muscle. I believe they use a medication called Exparel on your incisions internally also. You do have a pain pump but mine was limited because my blood pressure was low and they didn't want me to have too much pain med. They are the best at what they do!!! You will be in great hands!

• julieho
    julieho Member Posts: 164
    edited January 2015

Sky,

I am almost 7 weeks out from Stage 1 and I didn't feel the pain was awful. I actually felt that I had too much pain medication in retrospect. Not that this was their fault, I was worried about pain, I woke up after my BMX and first reconstruction with expanders from 3 years ago in agony so they gave me Morphine which I found out (this was my first time with morphine) was too strong a pain med. I hallucinated a lot the first two days, so I mostly remember that and not the actual pain. After that the pain was completely manageable. I have chronic pain in joints and bones and was worried but I was quickly able to get back to my "normal dose" of pain medication. They give you a prescription anti-inflammatory for 5 days which also helps. I walked a fair amount after surgery and it was mostly just exhaustion that I remember. It is a big surgery, I am 56 and just found it very tiring. But, as much as I hated to I listened to them and just rested, rested and rested. Pain was fine, what pain I had I could manage well with medication but the fatigue was more than I remember having in the past surgeries. But, this was a longer surgery. I was most surprised that my abdominal pain wasn't awful. I was worried about that because I have heard that surgeries involving the abdomen are tough but, maybe because they leave the muscle or aren't messing with our organs, it really wasn't that bad. Just give yourself a good 4 - 6 weeks to recover. I felt much better at 4 weeks but would still tire very easily. Energy is returning now that I hit the 6 week mark.

I really thought the care and surgery and follow-up were excellent at the Breast Center for Reconstruction. You are so lucky to be close by. I had to travel from Vermont there - but, I think it was worth it.

Best of luck,

Julieho

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited January 2015

According to the operative report, my doctor injectedlidocaine at the end of surgery prior to closing your abdomen. I doubt that it lasts three days, although I really didn't have much pain at all, so who knows.

• Neta69
    edited January 2015

Thanks for adding me to the list! Blood test, ECG and chest X Ray are done and all looks good so far. I fly down on Sunday the 1st and have my preop a on Monday. Surgery is Wednesday the 4th.One week! Do they give you a bathrobe at the hospital? Seems I won't need a lot of clothes.

• Sassy01
    edited January 2015

Neta, they have wonderful bath robes at the hospital!

• Springtime
    edited February 2015

Hi All,

I just added these to the listing above (yes, one is me!)

Apr 8 - BestGigiGirl61 - Stage 1, Dr. W., NOLA.

May 31 - Springtime - Tattoo's redone (they faded!) with Vinnie in MD.

Skyeomalley, The pain meds are very good. There are first IV pain meds, and also I have what was called ON-Q pain balls (pumped pain meds direclty into the right areas! Do they still do this?? Anybody??), then oral pain meds. But you need to keep taking them once you leave the hospital! I got very consitpated, so tried to stop too early. That was a mistake. Now for any surgery, I take Mirilax for three days prior to the surgery, and I keep it up every day until I am OFF pain meds. That solved my problem! Most women say they may feel uncomfortable, but not in excruciating pain. You are up and walking around before you leave the hospital. It is the best place for this type of surgery, if you ask me. They are experts, and you would be in the best of hands!

• Neta69
    edited February 2015

Day after my bilateral DIEP (delayed). I'm told surgery took 8 hrs and they called DH several times during. I made it out of bed to a chair today. I'm off the drip pain pump and onto oral meds. Also I have 4 drains and a catheter that I'm looking forward to getting out soon. I'm tired and a bit sore, mostly my tummy incision but overall I'm feel my better than expected.

• Gramof2boys
    edited February 2015

Neta, glad everything is going well. How are you feeling now? I have a question, I'm almost 8 weeks out from diep/hip revisions and my incisions itch something terrible. I put lotion on them but they still itch especially the hip incisions. Did any of you have this? I'm still kind of tired but have been back at work for about 2 weeks now. Please let me know about the itching, thanks!!

• Sassy01
    edited February 2015

Gram, I'm about 10 weeks post Stage 2 and my abdominal scars still itch like crazy sometimes! I very gently scratch them. I try and keep lotion on them and they seem to do better. My hip scars are right on my pants line do they get oretty irritated easily.

• Neta69
    edited February 2015

I've also had the itching and I've been told it's just part of healing and nerves waking up. The weirdest was when I had this really bad itch on the back of my shoulder after my mastectomy. It was weird because that part of me was completely numb after the surgery so it was like a "phantom" itch. I could feel the itch but I couldn't feel anything when I tried to itch it

• Neta69
    edited February 2015

I'm out of the hospital today and staying at a hotel. I feel a little better each day and just trying to take it easy and rest a lot.

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2015

Just popping in to say, "Hi." I'm one of the old-timers, and it has been ages since I checked in here. Had my first recon with Dr. D. in 2006. Delayed stacked DIEP. Had my second in 2010, immediate prophylactic GAP with Dr. D. on the other side. The only time I ever felt like I had a mastectomy was the three months before my delayed recon in 2006. Ever since then, and after my second recon, all of me has been real. It feels totally strange to fill out medical forms and list my surgeries and have to write down "mastectomy." No one would ever know, looking at me. Including doctors who have. My scars have faded to almost nothing. Those of you who are about to head down to NOLA for surgery, rest easy. It was a magical, restorative experience for me that I will never forget. We are all so fortunate to have found this place. I continue to be amazed that I was so lucky. Good luck to you all, too!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited February 2015

Minnesota, I know exactly how you feel. I am one year out frommy Stage 2 surgery and I still am amazed daily with my new body and thankful every day that I found Dr D and NOLA. I am so glad to hear you are happy. I will continue to rejoice with you

• Minnesota
    Minnesota Member Posts: 604
    edited February 2015

ThumbsUp

• Springtime
    edited February 2015

Hi Eve/Minnesota, I agree. I remember when I had my surgeries, and my scars were at first red and angry. You assured me, and said yours had faded to nothing, and viola! so have mine! (Note to all, how you scar is a very individual thing). My breasts, and my whole body, look better now than before. An odd state of affairs -- get breast cancer and lend up looking better? :) I bet that doesn't happen as the norm. :) My surgeries were in 2008 - 2009. I look at my body every day and am amazed. Although I had two almost 9-pound babies, my tummy is as flat as a teenager. My breasts are lovely and natural. Even my butt was lifted! I knew when I "discovered" NOLA through a thread just like this, that it was the answer for me. I have absolutely no regrets, and know that I was in the exact right place for me.

• Gramof2boys
    edited February 2015

I am 8 weeks out from my stage 2 at NOLA and don't regret it for a minute. I did have a flap failure but now have 2 warm breasts that are very close to the old girls. I am very happy I chose to go to the center. My scars are still very fresh and I hope they will fade over time. I am also amazed at the work the docs do. I wouldn't change my decision for anything!!

• Neta69
    edited February 2015

Hi everybody! Back home since a couple of days and I removed the last drain today. I did it myself and was a bit shocked at how much tubing there was! Right now I feel ok but a bit bloated and tight in the tummy. It's also hard to find a comfortable position as my back muscles are sore still. I don't like sleeping on my back and I'm not allowed to sleep on my side or tummy for 6 weeks!! Sucks!! Other than that I'm healing pretty well and taking it day by day. I have nothing but good things to say about the Centre and Dr Dellcroce. I'm so happy I made the decision to go to NOLA.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited February 2015

Just wondering why everyone mentions their "warm" breasts.... My implants are warm. Could someone please explain. And,My PS said nothing about not sleeping on my side. Why not sleeping you your side. I slept on my back for a couple of weeks. But, thats it. Thanks

• lastar
    lastar Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2015

Hi, Stix - I remember you from the DCIS forum. I can't speak to the implant question but I think that side sleeping is to avoid any pressure on the new flap that might restrict blood flow and cause necrosis or flap failure. Are you considering flap reconstruction?

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited February 2015

Stix - implants are very different from flaps. I had implants for 27+ years. If yours are warm - you are fortunate. Mine were like icebergs laid on my chest wall. With flaps, the doctors don't want you to sleep on your side for the first 6 - 8 weeks as the flap takes and the vessels heal. Trying to compare them is like apples and oranges all around.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited February 2015

hi mine are def. not cold. thanks for explaining