Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

One step implant procedure with Alloderm - Anyone?

Options

Comments

• okiegal
    okiegal Member Posts: 333
    edited July 2009
    Options

Carole - Glad to hear you are home and on the mend! Sounds like you are in good hands...eight weeks will be passed before you know it.

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2009
    Options

I had one-step with Alloderm last December at NOLA. This was done as a "Place -holder" to get me through rads. I have now scheduled to have the DIEP.

My bilat one-step was nearly perfect (I had skin and nipple sparing as well) until I went through rads. Now that one side is really tight and sore, and not sort of the same shape and softness as the other side. 

Just wanted to mention in case anyone had to do rads... 

Spring.

• Meg9
    Meg9 Member Posts: 306
    edited July 2009
    Options

Carole,

I'm happy to hear you are doing well. I too sat in a recliner during the day. A wedge pillow didn't work for me in bed..it was too hard and low. I used pillows. I didn't have a lot of discharge in my drains either, but they stayed in for 2 weeks. In the beginning I really hated them, then I realized that I rather have that nasty stuff out of me. You will feel soo much better when they do come out. It was a turning point for me. 

I too was surprised that my new breasts were so flat also. I was also surprise that they looked larger than I expected..size B. As the swelling went down, they got smaller. They are not the same shape or size, but close.  My right one is lower and to the right than the left. The worst thing about this is that they don't move so waring a bra doesn't change anything.

Glad to hear that you have help. My husband emptied and recorded my drains for me twice a day. Family and friends brought meals.  Be careful..with the lack of activity and all the delicious meals, plus visitors bring desserts (which I usually do not eat) I gained 3 pounds.  Now  I'm working to get them off.

Good luck! 

• YearoftheHat
    YearoftheHat Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2009
    Options

Carol, so glad to hear you are doing OK.  It is a relief isn't it?  That you are 'regular' at this point is a good sign.  

My breasts looked awful at first, like flat, oddly shaped pancakes but after week 7 or 8 they really started popping and rounding out.

Hope you can get your drains out soon.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,839
    edited July 2009
    Options

I had an appointment with the nurse practitioner today.  She removed the on-q pump, which was empty, so I got rid of those tubes.  Removal hurt a little.   I go back on Fri.  If the drainage is low enough, she'll take the drains out.  What a relief that would be.  I find them very disgusting.  She wasn't an alarmist but is somewhat concerned about the left nipple, which has a lot of bruising around it.  If there isn't enough blood flow, she said I would need a medication.  Don't remember what it is and there was no explanation of whether it's a medicine by mouth or an application.  I know from reading posts on this website that there can be problems with the "saved" nipples.  And also with the skin.

Now I'm free to take a shower and wash my hair, which looks dreadful. 

The pathology report was back, and apparently most of the tumor was taken with the samples for the needle biopsy.  More analysis of the breast tissue will be done.  This tumor was so small, only 6 or 7 mm that I guess a lot of people would think my surgery choice was overkill.  But I didn't want to take radiation and also didn't want a future with mammograms and worrying about more cancer growing in my breasts.  Four nodes were removed and they were all clear.  I still haven't been told my grade.  I want to figure out to put my info into my bio so that it comes up on the bottom of the posts.

Thanks for the prayers and thoughts and support.

• ShellyJo
    ShellyJo Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2009
    Options

Awesome Carol. You did it!!  I don't think you overkilled at all. Most people that tell you  that never had BC. They never had the fear and anxiety of every little lump and bump in their breast threatening them with cancer. Doctors tell you prognosis is same with a lumpectomy or mx. Yes, that is MAYBE true for the initial cancer. Although many case of local re occurrences are evident. Many second or third cancers are found and many of those are worse than the original cancers. Its such a personal choice. And Breasts are not essential to live a healthy normal life.  So let them ramble. No one can judge another person unless they have actually walked in their shoes.

I am glad you are feeling better? Are you on antibiotics? They had me on those till the drains came out. Now my nerves are regenerating and my breasts are very sensitive. They don't feel like a part of me yet, But I am sure that takes time.

To sleep I used 5 pillows. Biggest one under my knees, 2 under my head one under each arm for support. Now I am sleeping on my side, 

My paths were all clear that was a huge relief, seeing I had undetectable DCIS in right breast even after chemo wiped out the tumor which was grade 3 TN. I was also concerned because I had satilite tumors and never really understood those. I was told those were gone and all was clear margins. So I have done everything I can do now. My future is in Gods hands..

• carolehalston
    edited July 2009
    Options

Showered for the first time today.  Didn't think I needed any help, but turned out I did once I got out of the shower.  Fortunately, my husband had come in from his workshop and helped dry me off.  It's wonderful to have clean hair.  I washed the stretchy cotton bra that I've been wearing since the surgery on Fri.  It was rank.  While it was off, I tried to sit still most of the time.  A spare bra will cost $68, but I think I'll have to buy one anyway so I can wear one while I wash the other.  The nurse practitioner said I could wear a soft sports bra for a brief period, but my husband would have to go and shop for one.  At least 25 women acquaintances have said, "Let me know if you need anything."  I guess I could ask one of them to shop for a soft sports bra that opens down the front.  I don't know what size I would wear.  My breasts appear to be at least a full B, maybe small C.  Those are new size categories for me.  All those bras that I'll need to discard are Almost B!  I bought some nice ones a couple of months ago, too.

Isn't it amazing how difficult doing the simplest everyday activity becomes after a major surgery?  I'm learning to be innovative as I figure out a way to do things.

So what is going on with the rest of you?

• Springtime
    Springtime Member Posts: 3,372
    edited July 2009
    Options

Carol, many women have reported front closure bras at (believe it or not) Wal-Mart! I haven't looked myself, but wanted to pass this on...

• Meg9
    edited July 2009
    Options

Okiegal,

You had said that your mother had implants 25 years ago...I have been wondering how long do implants last.  My PS gave me info on my implants and they have a warranty for 10 years. This was a concerned me.  I am not looking forward to going through this again in ten years and then what...another ten years.

Does anyone know anyone who had implants longer than ten years.

Carole,

My PS recommended a sports bra that closed in front and had Velcro straps. I bought it at a local shop in my town. Before my mx I was a large C.  My PS said if I decided on the one step the best I could be was a full B. I have read here that many PS go larger then B. I do not know why B is the limit for my PS, but it is. 

After surgery you are larger because you are swollen.  As the weeks go by and the swelling goes down you obviously get smaller. Purchase your bra a size larger to accommodate the swelling so you will be more comfortable. My PS told me I was going to be a B and to buy a C.  The C was not tight, but a B would have been.

Good Luck!

• ShellyJo
    ShellyJo Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2009
    Options

My insurance paid for 2 masectomy bras so far. You might want to look into that. I am going to get a couple more in a few weeks. I think I can get up to 6 bras. You should check with your insurance.

My mom comes by and does most of cooking and shopping and housework, I am starting to do things. But very slowly. I dont lift anything. My sons have been great with lifting, carrying. Opening things I am so tired by mid afternoon. Ugh when will i perk Up and start feeling like myself again??

• okiegal
    edited July 2009
    Options

Carole - I can heartily recommend a cotton/spandex front closure bra that I bought at Walmart. The company is BestForm. You can view the exact bra at: "http.www.bestformintimates.com/products/style/5006014". They are about $10 and come in vague sizes, i.e. fits "b/c". It should be easy enough for one of your friends to get one for you. I think Hanes makes something similar. I came home from the hospitol with a bra that was too small and I was SOOO uncomfortable....tried wearing what they gave me. Received another too small bra from the PS nurse. I finally dug into my drawer and pulled one of these out and found relief! They are comfortable, cheap and easy to put on/take off. Good luck.

• okiegal
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hey, we are all on line at the same time!

Meg9 - my mother has the same implants after 25 years. She's fine. I also was worried about the 10 year limited timespan that I had read about onlin and asked my PS. They explained that it's just one of those product warrenty statements and to not worry about it. They said that if the implants ever fail, the company will replace them at no charge for the product (I have Natrelle by Mentor.) I think one of the great things about the cohesive gel implants is that you don't have "leakage" like with the previous silicone implants and therefore dont' need to be replaced as often. Rupture is the issue and the cohesive gels stay together even if they are torn or cut.

On another note, I think the reason for size limitation is because of the need to place the implant under the muscle. They can only fit so much under an "unstretched" muscle! At least that was my understanding.

• carolehalston
    edited July 2009
    Options

okiegal, I think you've hit on the exact reason for the size limitation for one-step.  I think my ps may have stretched me a little tight.  His attitude is actually kind of sweet.  He said we bc patients should come out of this with something nice.  Being a man, I guess he thinks bigger breasts are nice!  I would have been so-o-o-o happy keeping my little breasts the rest of my life.

Thanks for that hint on the bras at Walmart.  I'll send my husband there to pick up a couple of sizes.  That should be a new experience for him, shopping in the lingerie dept!

My doorbell just rang, and I had to grab an afghan, since I'm wearing pj top and panties.  One of our neighbors was delivering red beans and rice he'd cooked today, Wed. being his day off.  He carried in a package outside the door, and it was flowers from another neighbor.  People have been so kind.  It's one of the bright lights in this ordeal. 

• okiegal
    edited July 2009
    Options

Carole - I too would have been happy to keep my saggy little breasts. I uneasily ordered size B or C before surgery. They ordered several different sizes to try during surgery. When I finally got a look at the finished results, I thought I looked kinda big and was worried. Everything was swollen and tight and the implants felt heavy. I kept thinking "What have I done?" And then I would remind myself that it wasn't exactly a cosmetic procedure that had started all of this. Now  the swelling has gone down and I look like a B. An unsaggy B, that is. I pretty much look the same as I did with clothes on and that's fine with me. Plus, my skin and muscles are starting to accomadate the implants and they don't feel heavy anymore. With stretching and conditioning, I'm feeling confident that I'll be able to do everything I ever did before. Finally, if you aren't taking a muscle relaxer and feel really tight, ask your PS to prescribe something. Mine seemed perplexed as to why any surgeon wouldn't. "Why would doctors want to get those types of phone calls?" He automatically prescribes them for 3-4 months. I've been very comfortable.

• Meg9
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi,

Week 9 for me and everyday brings changes. As I heal and the swelling goes down, my breast size and shape constantly change. Something I did not expect was a little drop...my breasts are hanging a little...heading south! I thought these foobs were going to stand up forever! When I first looked at myself after surgery...I was surprised by the smaller size and flat front. I was pleased by how normal I looked in a bra.  I looked like I had a breast lift...which made me feel good.  At 6 weeks my PS said no more bra. She wanted them to be moving and settle. They are still tight and swollen...they also seem to be getting harder. They are still very sensitive where the drains were.  I am mostly concerned about the sensitivity in the drain area after 9 weeks.

At some point I am supposed to go for nipple tatoos. I am undesided if I will go through it because I have a friend who was scheduled to have it done and then she got capsuler contracture.  She will need surgery to corrrect CC and has put it off.   If she had the tatoo done before she got CC, the tatoo would have been distorted and misplaced on her breast. Since the tatoo is permanent and anyone with mplants could get CC...I'm not sure if I want the tatoos.

• carolehalston
    edited July 2009
    Options

Just back from a checkup with the NP.  My left nipple looks better.  That's a relief.  I was already having visions of losing it.  She ultrasounded both breasts to check fluid.  On Mon. I go back to get the drains out.  I'll be so-o-o-o glad to get rid of them. 

Meg9, that little drop probably makes your breasts look more natural? 

Doesn't the alloderm lessen the risk of contracture?  I don't want to be an alarmist, but isn't "hardening" a possible indication of contracture? 

A busy day ahead.  Finish reading a Mary Higgins Clark novel.  Watch golf on tv. 

• okiegal
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi all - Signed in to report on my progress as well...am 9 weeks post op today. Doesn't seem possible. I've been adding exercise and have found that I am going to have to take it slow. I really get worn out easy. I'm going to try alternating exercise every other day for a week and then see if I can step it up a little bit at a time.

Emotionally I'm feeling more like myself, fewer depressive days/hours/thoughts and I'm feeling much more hopeful and goal oriented. Listening to upbeat music and feeling happy. It's an unseasonalby beautiful day today in Tulsa, OK, so that helps, but I think the exercise is starting to have it's positive effects as well.

Meg9 - I think my breasts are taking on a more "boob like"/ less flat shape also....haven't tried on any of my presurgery bras again, so I don't know if they would actually fill them in. Last time I tried them on, they just didn't fill out the cup in the center area (no nipples). I don't know, but I suspect that I may have to find a new bra style. Time will tell. I still have some swelling and firm/healing areas on the sides where the drains were, but those areas are definately getting better. The worst side (left) the "drain hole" incision area looks like there is an invisible suture holding it in. It kind of looks like a little belly button. My PS said it would take 5 minutes to fix, so I'm not really too worried. The areas are still a bit sensitive still, not much and I am still having occassional small shooting pain, but not enough to take pain medication or even Tylenol.

One question...doesn't the risk of capsular contracture end at some point? I just assumed that it was a concern in the healing period. I know it's "fixable", but I wouldn't want my nipples in the wrong place either...and that is also my next area of concern/investigation.

Carole - glad to hear that you are healing well...and, it sounds like, despite the drains, trying to enjoy your convalesence?!

All the best to you all.

• Meg9
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi Okiegal,

I exercised three times this week, slowly.  I wanted to exercise today also, but I just don't have the energy. That's OK...we've been through a lot and soon we will all be up to speed! I'm happy I got three days in!  I too have a dimple where my drain holes were, but they are getting smaller and smaller. I get a burning sensation sometimes...like sunburn. I only take tylenol if I need it.

After my friend told me about capsular contracture, I did some investigating ....  breastimplantinfo.org -  It can happen at any time and even a second time after corrective surgery.  

My breasts are flat...no nipple, so I do not fill the tips in bras. I have purchased "barely there" bras for everyday... there is no shape to them and since my breast are uneven (right one lower and more to the right then the left)  and do not fit into others bras comfortably.  These bras are like wearing nothing, but provide coverage.  Also, "Warner" has a bra that adds a size. You buy your true size and it adds a size. The bra adds to the tip so you have a more natural shape. I bought a couple of them for going out, but I don't think they fit me correctly, because my beasts are uneven. My DH said only I could tell. If your breasts are even these bras will give you a natural look.

Carole - I'm glad you doing so well!  I'm happy for you that your drains will be coming out!

The drop does and doesn't make me look more natural, because the shape is still flat and very round.  They are just lower.  The last time I saw my PS I asked about CC and that is when she told me to start messaging my breast to break up the scar tissue which I believe is one of the causes of CC. She showed me how to massage them, but that was after six weeks.  She suggested to my DH to go home and get started. lol I asked her about AlloDerm preventing CC (I read that on this site) she did not seem to think that AlloDerm made a difference.

Even though there are potential problems with these implants, I am glad I have them. I have seen pictures of women who chose not to and I found some of them upseting to look at.  However, if I had to have surgery again to correct a problem, I think I might choose to have them removed. But lets keep positive thoughts! We are all going to be fine! 

Going to try to get some house cleaning done. I hope you all have a great weekend!

• okiegal
    edited July 2009
    Options

Meg9 - Okay, sounds like I'm doing about right with the exercise. Will just have to work up slowly. It's hard to realize that my body isn't keeping up with my expectations!

Interesting to know that CC is an ongoing concern. I saw a massage video that recommended continued massage for as long as you have your implants. Guess that's to avoid CC. I brush my teeth at least twice a day, guess I can massage too.

Thanks for the bra recommendations, I'll check them out. Tried on one in my drawer after posting and looks like I am finally a "perfect B". Bra shopping has always been such a laborious task for me, so I'm relieved. I've noticed also that one breast is a little lower than the other, but overall, I can't complain. I kind of had that problem before the mastectomy and with a bra on, I look even.

Looked at some photos I took at post op 3 weeks. Things look a lot better now, no red peely skin, no drain, incision healing nicely. Week 9 is a vast improvement.

I agree have a nice weekend everyone...as much as possible!

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

Okiegal, my husband went to Walmart and bought 3 of the bras you recommended.  The website you gave me helped to figure out the size.  The bras fit well and feel similar in tightness and support to the bra I wore home from the hospital.  So now I have something to wear when I launder the surgical bra.  Thanks so much for the recommendation.  The Walmart sports bras were only $8, which is great compared to $68 for a 2nd surgical bra. 

Meg9, I went into this reconstruction process with the thought in the back of my mind that I can have the implants removed if they don't work out.  I admit that I didn't realize it was such an ongoing process.  Simpleton me, I figured they put the implants in and that was that.  Instant breasts.  I do think it means a lot to come home from the hospital with a shape where my natural breasts were.  When I imagine being flat with two horizontal scars on my chest, the image doesn't make me feel good at all.

I just sent my husband off to play golf this afternoon.  Hope he has a good round and enjoys himself.  This cancer experience has been hard on him, too, but he has been very supportive and a good caregiver.  At this point I don't really need much help.  Everything is slow but I can manage, and goodness knows I have lots of time! 

I have entertainment options--reading and televised golf-- and I don't mind a few hours solitude.

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

• okiegal
    edited August 2009
    Options

Meg9 - you got me to wondering about my lower breast. I started to worry, talked to the PS and he said he could tape it up. Maybe this would be an option for you? Apparently there isn't much to be done if the implant is too high, but if it has moved down (which isn't "normal") they can tape it up. I had a scheduled appointment to visit this week, but it was changed and will have to wait a week more as my Dr. is moving his offices. For now, I will wear an elastic band and see if it helps. I've also looked back at some pictures I took a few weeks ago and it was in the same place, so maybe mine hasn't moved. Seems I've just now started to worry about the asymmetry.

On another note, tried wearing the "perfect B" underwire bra for a few hours Sunday and ended up with marks on my breasts that indicate it doesn't really fit. Guess bra shopping is still in the "torture" category. Oh well. Can't have everything!

Carole - Glad to here you have a back up bra. Hope your husband is starting to feel a little better too.Smile

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

Looks like there are only three of us keeping current with this thread.  I'm tubeless, thank goodness.  Am very happy to be rid of the drains after 11 days.  My incisions don't look good, though.  The NP told me to keep a close eye on them for any signs of infection.  She instructed me to continue sleeping on my back.  Gave me permission to drive.  Said it was okay to take walks but not to get wet with perspiration.  That pretty much eliminates walking outside here in the summer, either day or night.

Meg9 and Okiegal, did you have the oncotype dx testing?  What kind of treatment are you having?  I see you both are ER positive.  Are you taking Tamoxifen or Arimidex?  I'll eventually have to take Arimidex and dread the risk of SEs.  I won't know whether I'll have to take chemo until the oncotype dx results come back.

• Meg9
    edited August 2009
    Options

Okiegal - I do not have an appointment with my PS until Sept. I have not tried to make an earlier appointment because I don't think I will do anything for it. After you take the tape off...won't it drop again? Would waring a bra do the same thing?  I no longer have away underwire bras...they would be too uncomfortable....my breasts do not move into my bras like they did before.  The bras need to move to the shape of my breasts...that is why I am waring the"barely there" bras now. At home I usually do not ware a bra.

Carole - The first oncologist I saw said that I did not need radiation, chemo or meds. No radiation because I had BMX and nothing is left to radiate. No chemo for the same reason...I had clear margins around my tumors. I had 30% + estrogen in one breast...not enough to medicate.  There is a greater risk of ovarian cancer and side effects with the meds that make it not worth it.  This news from the oncologist concerned my family so last Wednesday I went for a second opinion...he said the same. 

Two weeks after my BMX I started staining a little. I have not had a period for a while. I did not think too much of this, but I did mention it to my oncologist. She told me to see my GYN which I did 2 weeks ago.  She tried to do a biopsy in her office.  If was very painful and she could not get it done.  I am scheduled in two weeks to have a TV ultrasound.  This was another reason they decided on no meds.

I think we will be experiencing all kinds of changes for a while.  Unless something really drastic happens...I am not going to let myself get upset. I think that it is sad that I had to have BMX, but I am grateful that my cancer was caught early and is out of me! We need to take care that we are healing well...without infection and all the other complications that might inflict us at this time... but don't forget to take the time to be happy for everything else we have!

• okiegal
    edited August 2009
    Options

Yeah, only the three of us, but I would invite anyone else who desires to jump in! We're pretty friendly!

Carole - glad to hear you are rid of the tubes in only 11 days! I had so much stinging and shooting pains that I was on pain medication for about 7 or 8 weeks. That essentially slowed down my exercise, but I don't think my surgeons would have advised much exercise beyond walking around the house for at least a few weeks, plus it was blistering hot here. I guess it all depends, but you definately will want to let your body concentrate on healing the incisions.

My DCIS was stage 0. It was also multi-focal, which is why I needed a mastectomy (at least on one side.) I opted for a BLM because I had LCIS as well and didn't want to take Tamoxifen, etc. It ended up that I had it in both breasts, so I believe I made the right decision. I'm not sure about the size of the tumor because I'm not sure I had an actually tumor, just an "area of interest". The DCIS was in several areas, but contained within the ducts. If it had been only one area, like was first assumed, I would have been recommended a lupectomy/excistional biopsy with radiation and then Tamoxifen to treat the other breast. Obviously, that's not the way it went. I didn't have an oncotype dx test because, as I understand it, they are given at stage II or III and/or if you have node involvement, which I didn't. The oncotype test helps your oncologist determine whether or not you need chemo, but I'm sure you know that.

The more I read on this site, the more I realize how fortunate I am. I almost feel guilty saying I "had cancer", but I did. Like you, Meg9, no radiation or chemo was recommended. I tried to impress upon my family members and friends that my surgery was my cure and that I would go into the operating room with breasts and come out the same way. I know there's a lot more to it, but when it's all said and done, that's pretty much the truth. Carole, I hope your test determines that you are done!

As far as the tape curing or reshaping the breast mound, I would think if you wore it long enough, it would stay put. But hey, I'm not the PS! I too will be avoiding the underwires for a while, I'm having the same issues with fit. I'll definately check out those "Barely There" bras.

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

Okiegal, the oncotype dx test is for women with early stage bc, no node involvement, and ER positive, both pre and post menopausal.  I spent a couple of hours doing research today.  It's for those cancer patients who in the past would not have been given chemo because their tumors were small and nodes clear.  The oncotype tests the cancer on a molecular level and comes up with a number that places the patient in a low, intermediate, or high category for recurrence.  A low number indicates that the risks of chemo outweigh the benefits.  The high number indicates just the opposite.  The intermediate number means the patient and the doctor have to weigh all the factors and decide one way or the other.  It's an expensive test, about $4000, but Medicare covers it and so do many other insurance companies.  I'm surprised there was no mention of your tumor or tissue being tested because I see you're early stage and node negative and ER positive.  But maybe being Stage 0 makes you not a candidate.  Your cancer grade might have been low, too, like Grade 1.  I'm Stage 1 and Grade 3, which is high grade.

It's very new technology.  A part of me wishes my dr. wasn't so up to date!  If I come up with an intermediate number, I'm not sure what I'll do.  From what I've read, chemo can really do a lot of damage to the good cells in your body.

What I'm wondering on the bra issue is why you and Meg9 have to wear a bra?  Just for modesty with a thin blouse?  It's not as though these implants need lifting, right? 

• okiegal
    edited August 2009
    Options

I think you are right. Probably, because my DCIS was stage 0, chemo was never in the picture. Thus, no oncotype dx test. My surgeon is a few years out of training at Sloan Kettering and very sharp so I feel confident that she would have said something if that was a consideration. Her recommendation for future testing was: No mammograms, just a yearly visit. Actually, I'll see her again in November for a follow up. Like I said, I feel very fortunate. I didn't even want to take Tamoxifen for fear of the side effects (which I understand are pretty bearable for most.) My fear had me wanting a BLM before I even had the recommendation. It was pretty much my decision and I opted for it to just avoid future issues. I hope your test comes back decisively in the NO chemo category, but if it doesn't, there are a lot of women who have been there and are probably training right now for their next Breast Cancer Awareness run.

As for bras, I don't want anyone to see the incisions through my clothes. They are still a bit visable. Also, I just feel more secure, I guess I'm afraid they might sag or something. However, I did go to the mall the other day without a bra. Felt pretty good. I wonder if I could still do that if I do a nipple reconstruction!? I'm still in research mode on that one!

• Meg9
    edited August 2009
    Options

Carole - I am happy for you that your drains are out. It was a true turning point for me. I felt soo much better.

I know that my pathology report showed no microinvasion cells..tumors (one in each breast) had clear margins.  dx was DCIS, grade 3. I believe with that diagnosis...no other testing is necessary, especially that I had BMX.  When I was first diagnosed in the right breast with DCIS, I was going to have a lumpectomy with radiation, maybe chem and definitely meds. After my MRI...DCIS was in both breasts with other areas of calcification's. My BS did not take any nodes out during my surgery.  He said with my diognios mostly likely nodes would not be involved.  After my mx if pathology show any aggressive cells or cancer other then DCIS, then my BS would have to test my nodes.  I have learned that many with DCIS who have had their node removed...the dx is that the nodes are negative. Also, many suffer long lasting side effects.  I'm happy with my BS recommendations.

I do not wear a bra at home, but when I go out I feel the need to cover up. These "barely there" bras have no support at all...it is just coverage.  I am not comfortable in any bra.  My DH said he notice a little bounce today...I thought this was pretty funny...I am a B now...I was a C-D before.

Has anyone felt a strange sensation when drinking some cold or hot?

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

Meg9, what kind of "strange sensation"?  I've been having hot flashes since stopping the HRT and sometimes drinking coffee can trigger heat.  I started this week taking effexor to counter the menopausal symptoms.  So far it hasn't done much to help my spirits.  One reason I took HRT was to alleviate the dark moods that came with menopause.

Did you mind going smaller from a C-D to a B?

You and Okiegal were both so fortunate to be diagnosed early enough that you're Stage 0, which I believe is always in situ.  I'm very happy for you.

I don't believe either of you had the nipple-saving surgery, did you?  I'm wondering at this point if it was a good idea.  My right nipple looks raw now that some skin has peeled off.  Of course, I'll be happy if the end result is good and I don't have to go back for nipple construction.

I'm a little down today.  Didn't sleep well last night.  Too much anxiousness.  I need to take one day at a time and be thankful for all that isn't wrong.

• okiegal
    edited August 2009
    Options

Meg9 - I haven't noticed any of the strange sensations you mentioned. However, yesterday I took a walk (it was hot) and feel I may have overdone it. I began having little shooting pains that traveled to my face, arms, back , elbow, scalp...you name it. Weird. Not extremely painful, but a combination of pricklyness and itchyness. I took a half of a Percocet last night and another half this morning. I hope this is just part of the healing process and not a harbinger of things to come. So much to worry about! Like you, Carole, I need to take it one day at a time and try not to "awfulize" about everything.  When I was at the first stages of all this, before my first biopsy, I told myself I would only deal with what I knew. That's all we have. If the doctor told me 80% of patients' biopsies were usually Pappillomas, then I would remember that fact and not let my mind decide that I was in the 20% category before I knew anything. It didn't completely erase my worries, but it really helped cut down. Truthfully, we can all only take it one day at a time. Good advice Carole.

• Meg9
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Carole and Okiegal - I just came back from a day at the beach. It was the perfect beach day! I did a lot of walking. The skin on my breasts feel sore. I am very tied. I think I'll get and good night sleep.

I do not have any strength in my arms yet. I carried only my sand chair to the beach and when I was sitting there my arm and hand started to shake uncontrolably.  After a little while it went away.  Everyday it's something else.

Since my mx when I drink something cold or hot, I can feel it as it goes down in a way I have not felt before. 

I do not mind being a B...my alternative was nothing!  I do miss my old breast, because they were me.  I do not look like me..even in clothes. Wearing a bathing suit today was a little disappointing.

I did not have nipple-saving surgery...it wasn't even discussed. Carole, I do hope you do not have to go through nipple reconstruction surgery. I have the choice to have nipple reconstruction surgery or a tattoo. I was going to have a tattoo, but I don't think I will because of capsular contracture. 

When I was dx with BC, it was the first time I was in a position were there was nothing I could do.  Nothing could change it. It didn't matter how much money you have or who you know...there was no one to call. It was what it was. 

All you can do is take one day at a time. At my last visit, I told my PS that I was experiencing so many different feelings....pain, tingling, burning, puffiness...changes in size, shape and feeling.  I told her I didn't know if I should be worried about these things or if they were the normal part of healing.  She said they are the normal part of healing.... She said if they turned very red, hot or if I got a fever....then something is wrong...otherwise don't worry.  I try not to worry, but it hard not to when you don't understand what is going on. That's what is great about this place...we know that we are not alone in what we are feeling.   

Today, 10 weeks after surgery....I was walking on the beach with my family. I have a lot to be grateful for!