Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

One step implant procedure with Alloderm - Anyone?

Options

Comments

• biscuit
    biscuit Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2009
    Options

Okilegal - are you in nyc as well - did you see my earlier posts about nyc surgeon options?  would you mind letting me know who you used and who you consulted?

• okiegal
    okiegal Member Posts: 333
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Biscuit - I love NYC, but I'm not there, I'm in....Oklahoma.Laughing Wish I could be of more help....can I answer any questions?
  • carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,839
    edited August 2009
    Options

Meg9, I certainly hope the polyp is just a polyp, nothing serious.  I completely understand the worry you're experiencing.  Today as I sat in the waiting room, prior to seeing the NP for another checkup, I noticed a small dark spot (growth) just above my inside right ankle.  First thought?  Melanoma!  Yes, I will make an apptment with my dermatologist.  Plus I have a couple more places for her to check for possible carcinoma.  My husband and I go regularly for skin inspections.  Paying the price for all that sun exposure during years of sailing and sunbathing and outdoor tennis.

The good news is that my right breast gets the A Okay from the NP.  Nipple looks good, incision looks good.  There's still about an inch and a half strip on the left incision that continues to need attention.  More application of the salve.  I go to see the PS on Mon.  There's still the possibility that some trimming and resuturing may need to be done.

Otherwise, I feel great.  The internal healing has evidently gone very well. 

Today I scrutinized a breast cancer poster in the little examination room.  Here's some of the info I learned.  86% of diagnosed bc is IDC.  My tumor falls within this large category.  Here's the great news for you DCIS ladies.  Your cancer is considered 100 % curable.  Isn't that a wonderful stat for you?

My oncotype test results should be coming in within a week or so.  Fingers and toes and odd appendages all crossed in the hope that the number falls within the no chemo category.

• fortunate1
    fortunate1 Member Posts: 467
    edited August 2009
    Options

Good morning all, and welcome biscuit. I'm a unilateral too. Keep asking questions until you're comfortable.

A busy day for me, but I'll check back in this evening. 

• Meg9
    Meg9 Member Posts: 306
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hello Everyone,

I spoke with my GYN today. I have to make an appointment for a D&C. There is a cluster of small polyps. They will be sent to pathology to make sure everything is OK. This is same day surgery. I will get a surgery date in two days. She sounded very optimistic, but has to be careful because of my history of bc

Carole - How great is it that the cream has worked for you. My fingers and toes are crossed for that score to be low!

• okiegal
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi everyone!

Carole - so glad to hear that things are starting to heal properly. I'll keep a few fingers and toes crossed for your oncotype DX. As a DCIS woman, I almost feel like I don't belong in the cancer category, but I took the cure, so I guess I'm in. I will be participating in one of those Susan B. Komen races (walking) this Sept. It will be strange to be wearing a "survivor" t-shirt when I didn't have the same emotional or physical battles as so many others.

Went to the dentist this morning to have a cavity filled. I had to work at staying calm. No pain, but the sound of that drill in my ear reminded me of my core needle biopsy. The surgeon hit an artery and thus, the Novacaine (?) didn't really work. Painful and I ended up with a big painful bruise. I reminded myself to breathe this a.m. and kept "going to my happy place" and reminding myself it was just a filling. I guess we can all get a little worked up over small things, but you know what? It's okay...we've been through a lot.

Meg9 - Thanks for posting at the "nipple reconstruction" question. It's very interesting what everyone has to say, I hope it keeps going for a while. I'll keep some other fingers and toes crossed for your D&C. 

• biscuit
    biscuit Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2009
    Options

Meg9 - thanks for all the info - I am waiting for a call from PS Mia Talmor at Cornell - and I hae an appt with Marc Sultan from Roosevelt tomorrow.  I would like to stay as a C cup since thats what my non cancer side is - and although i have to get a lift on that side to match my new side, i don't really want to go from a C to a B.  Maybe the alloderm can work into a C???? Did anyone go that big?  Does anyone know why the one step is  not done more often?  Lloyd Gayle, a big wig at Cornell doesn't like them - that makes me wonder why?

Meg9 - good luck! 

• Stonebrook108
    Stonebrook108 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2009
    Options

Biscuit,

Not all PS know how to do the one step procedure. But, more are starting to do so.

I'm having nipple reconstrution done on thurs. and had my pre op. appt today. I all ready knew what my PS was going to do but wanted to hear it again that there will be no skin grafts to create the nipples. Here's his web site www.BreastReconstruction.org Check out the one on direct implants which is the one step procedure. Dr. Ron Isreali is amazing and so nice too.

Feel free to send me a PM if I can help anyone out with any questions.

Be well,

Ann

• okiegal
    edited August 2009
    Options

Biscuit - I think there are size limitations for the "one-step". I was told they only go up to a B. Perhaps this is why TE is so popular? I don't really understand why the one-step with Alloderm is so uncommon. It provides a much quicker recovery, has a lower risk of complications, is much less painful than TEs and requires only one surgery. Maybe PS feel like they have more control or can charge more for TEs? I hate to be so cynical....I know everyone isn't a candidate. As far as surgeries go, it's a fairly simple procedure. But, for a variety of reasons, I guess there is a lot of demand for other more complex reconstruction techniques too (flaps, etc.)

Stonebrook108 - I'm trying to decide on whether or not to do nipple reconstruction and started a question titled "nipple reconstruction?" If you have time and feel like adding your thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.

Have a great day everyone!

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

Just got off the phone with the surgeons' NP.  Yesterday when I saw her, she brought up the possibility that the narrow yellow strip along my left incision (about 1 1/2 in. long) might be Alloderm.  The more I mulled over her words, I came to think this was probably the case.  My husband's reaction was to believe it was the case, too, because of the characteristics of the tissue.  It has never really seemed like real skin.  I asked her how the Alloderm got through the incision, and she replied that the stitches underneath the necrotic skin in that area could have dissolved.  Once the salves I've been using sloughed off the necrotic skin, the Alloderm was underneath. 

The surgeons have been out of town but are returning late today.  She wants to get me in tomorrow afternoon for the PS to look at me.  That area will have to be resutured.  Apparently that isn't a big deal.  Takes less than 30 min.  Not sure where it's done.  The NP is very concerned about infection.  I didn't tell her I had just walked 1.8 mi. and had sweated.  Must hurry into the shower.

Today I'm going to our golf club and meeting some of my golf friends for lunch.  They're phoning me from the 17th hole so I can know when they're close to being finished with their round.

Will keep you posted.

Okiegal, I'll be interested in your decision on the nipple recon.

Stonebrook, best of luck to you in picking out a good surgeon.

• flowerpetal
    flowerpetal Member Posts: 7
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi.

someone had asked for more info on the "gummy implants" 410.  I found this on the manufacturer's website. I believe Allergan bought Inamed corporation.  this document is for the use of the 410 in Canada since the product is approved there.

Important Information for Women About Breast Reconstruction with INAMED Style 410 Silicone-Filled Breast Implants 2006

http://www.allergan.com/assets/pdf/M1247-01_Can_RECON_410_PatLab.pdf

hope this is helpful. 

• Meg9
    edited August 2009
    Options

Carole - I'm glad your PS is finally going to look at you. I'm surprised the NP didn't pick up on that  sooner. My PS is always concerned with infection. I called the NP there today to find out if it is OK to have the D&C and she said she had to check with the PS to see if she wanted to put me on antibiotic first. Keep us posted. My D&C is scheduled for Sept 3.

Okiegal - Have you made a decision yet? I'm happy nipple less....for now. I don't think I could go through any more procedures. I think I'm going to play it safe from now on. I would be so unhappy if it came out badly.

Flowerpetal - Thanks for the site. So much info. Are all gummy implants and cohesive gels the same?  Some of that stuff scarred me. If I read it before my bmx, I don't think I would have had reconstruction.

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Wow Carole, nothing is routine about this, is it? All that healing and now the alloderm. I'm glad it became evident and the NP saw it. My resuturing was a smaller area and very easy in spite of my nervousness. It was done in the office where he does cosmetic procedures I suppose. No discomfort.

Okiegal- I am following the nipple thread with interest, not posting because I am at a loss as to what can be done for me. I think it could take some time to figure out, but that's OK too. 

Biscuit- I think there are some one-steps that go bigger than a B, information is pretty scarce. My PS, when he was suggesting a bilat, asked if I would like to go bigger. 

• okiegal
    edited August 2009
    Options

Carole - hope everything works out and that you finally get that area healed. That must be really nerve racking. I, too, am surprised this hasn't been addressed any quicker, but I'm not a doctor. How was lunch with the girls?

Fortunate1 - you should post on the nipple question. I think keeping it active might help others to comment. Maybe you have a question someone can answer? I'm still waffling. My mind changes more than the Oklahoma weather! Meg9, I may be happy nipple-less too....I think. I'm 49 and single. On one hand, I think "So, who will care?" On the other hand, there's a desire to finish the job and be "normal", but there are the advantages of the "Barbie boobs"! Ahhhh!Undecided

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

okiegal- I'll post, you're right. As for waffling, yep, here too. I have second guessed just about everything I've decided about my treatment. I was told that once you decide, you are at peace and move forward with confidence. NOT! Even with my asymmetry concerns I'm afraid it might be worse if I try to improve. I'm 62 and married. I'm pretty sure DH would be fine whatever happens.  But your statement says it all, You'll care,  the wish to finish the job and be "normal".

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Eeek, I did it, scary.

• JulieL
    JulieL Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2009
    Options

This is my first post on any of these sites but the last three weeks have been a whirlwind. I was diagnosed at the end of July and had a bilateral mastectomy on August 11th. I had the alloderm and immediate reconstruction and everything looks great even after one week. I am really impressed with the PS and Surgical Oncologist. I asked her today what took 5 hours (surgery time) and she said that they wanted to get it perfect. They did just that. Even though I am still lumpy and bruised I can already tell what shape they will have. I am going to have nipple reconstruction in January but I was wondering how long I will be down from that surgery. Does anyone have any idea?

• Meg9
    edited August 2009
    Options
    Welcome JulieL, Today stonebrook108 posted www.BreastCancerReconstruction.org I looked at it and it is informative. Okiegal- has a forum Nipple Reconstruction? you should check it out. I had  bmx with "one step" three months ago. When the swelling goes down your breast change size. Sounds like you are doing really good. If you have any questions feel free to ask. We are really supportive and helpful here. Good luck
  • fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Welcome JulieL, from another Julie. This is a great group and it's nice to talk to others that have had the same -still uncommon- surgery. Amazing how you can feel better so quickly, isn't it?

• JulieL
    edited August 2009
    Options

It really is amazing how quickly one can recover. Being only 46 and no family history this came as a shock to everyone I know. I had a mammogram 11 months ago and nothing was seen and I am diligent about follow up because of a stage 0 melanoma back in 2006. I encourage everyone I come in contact with to keep up on their mammogram. These things appear so quickly with no symptoms. All of these forums were so helpful before I had the surgery and I will continue to post as I go through this process. I have found out that my reaction to this diagnosis is no different than the other women who have posted so I feel that I am not alone. I was told that I have a .2% chance of ever having something come back in my breast throughout my lifetime but just knowing what I, as well as many others, have gone through with this process I never want to think about it again. My only followup from now on is MRI every two years for implant leaks. I wish everyone has peace in their decisions. I believe I made the right one for myself and will let everyone know how it works out during recovery. Thanks to everyone for the support. I will definitely look at that link. Thanks again. 

• okiegal
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi JulieL  -  Welcome, glad you are feeling strong enough to post. Come back regularly, this IS a very supportive little place. I too had greast results early out. My PS visited me in the hospital and was beaming when he checked out his work. Smile It was kind of nice since I don't really have that happening at 49 or as a single thang! It really got me off to a good start mentally. And now, 12 weeks on Friday, I'm still pleased with the way things have healed.

To answer your question about nipple reconstruction, the earliest you could expect to attempt is about 12 weeks post op, assuming no complications. My PS is ready, but I'm not. Still have some deciding to do.

Fortunate1 - thanks for gathering the courage to keep the "Nipple Reconstruction?" question going. I really hope more people weigh in with their experiences.  

• JulieL
    edited August 2009
    Options

Hi Okiegal,

Your plastic surgeons' reaction is to funny. When I unveiled my new girls today to my surgical oncologist she stood back and clapped. She had the biggest smile on her face and couldn't wait to tell me which breast she stitched and which one he stitched. I think they were in competition for the best suture sight. They both look the same to me. The plastic surgeon told me that 12 weeks post op was a good time but that puts me before the holidays and I would prefer to go through the holidays without any pain so I am looking at January. What are the options that you are deciding on? I was given tattoo or nipple reconstruction from skin on my thigh for the areola and the skin from my breast to form the nipple.

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Julie- A .2% chance is fantastic. Point two!, you lucky lady! 

okiegal- I hope I get some insights from it. I just get a bit shy sometimes.  Maybe I'll even get the nerve to do the photo forum.

• okiegal
    edited August 2009
    Options

JulieL - Applause?! I like that! Nice to have two perfectionistic surgeons in competition. I bet you look great.

My PS only gave me the option of a flap procedure with a tattoo. I think that will do the trick for me as long as the tattoo looks good. My biggest concern is two pink circles with too much projection. Right now, the advantage is I don't have to wear a bra, but I do most of the time anyway.

Fortunate1 - Your shy? I don't even have a picture yet! Actually, I attribute that to laziness mostly. I was very interested in getting onto Timtams (private) picture website/forum earlier. I had signed up under another name. She pointed out that if I used another name, those from this site wouldn't know who I was. I was going to change my name back to "Okiegal" and then sign on, but her father passed away unexpectedly. I haven't pursed it since then...wanted to respect that she is grieving. Now, I figure, I've gone this far without the pictures...I can probably do the nipple reconstruction without it. Sort of an issue of information overload and analysis paralysis!

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

Okiegal, your nipple thread was right up there on the most Active threads when I signed in moments ago!  Do you work?  In your bio., you state that you're a professional artist.

Today I resume chauffeuring my 87-yr-old mother to her hair appointment.

Have a great day, everyone.

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

okiegal- Yeah, a little fearful. I used a different name on the photo site too because I thought that was how it's done. I also have been thinking of changing it. No picture here either, though two days before surgery a friend came over and drew me and took some photos. So I have a "before".

• okiegal
    edited August 2009
    Options

Carole - As I've always said, "Being an artist means never having to say you're unemployed!" Just a joke, but kind of true. One can always work, it's the pay that's the issue. I've been self employed with a business in murals and faux finishing, but since moving to Tulsa have realized that this market isn't going to cut it. I was in career transition mode when the breast cancer situation cropped up. Not a great time to go looking for a new job and now I'm certain that I can't meet the demands of my previously physical business. But, I am, fortuanately working with two friends marketing and selling a photographic product for their small business. It's a start. At least I have something to do. I'm on the computer a lot. Not my most favorite thing. I'll start looking for something bigger or supplemental soon. I'm leaving for a little vacation to Taos and Santa Fe on Sat.

Maybe I'll sign on to the picture website with my other name.

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

okiegal- Ain't it the truth. My work, and income has been shrinking for two years at least, but I'm still not 'unemployed'. First the gallery that brought me most of my income was closed. Then teaching at one college cut in half. Last week the other college- same thing, cut by half. There's not much left and I'm having a lot of trouble with motivation- thank God for savings. 

• carolehalston
    edited August 2009
    Options

We've visited Santa Fe a couple of times since we became RVers.  One year we were there in early Nov. and it snowed.  On the last visit we explored Canyon Road with all its art galleries and sculpture gardens.  I told my husband, "Let's buy a small painting or drawing as a souvenir."  He agreed with the plan.  The cheapest teensy painting we saw was $3000!  Canyon Road has NYC price tags, but it was a joy to wander in and out of the galleries.  We saw some beautiful pottery and clay art in Santa Fe, too. 

One highlight was having lunch in an old hotel right down in the main square.  The room was beautiful.  For us, eating out on a trip is not just about food.  It's the place.

Fortunate1, you must be a very accomplished potter if you teach at two colleges.

• fortunate1
    edited August 2009
    Options

Carole- Accomplished? sure. But the two colleges doesn't mean much. I'm an adjunct instructor, contractually limited in hours, no benefits, and if a class is cut, it has a good chance of being mine. Hard times. Love to teach though.

okiegal- I went to the yummiest restaurant in Santa Fe. Pascual's I think, where breakfast was divine. They have a marvelous Folk Art museum, a must see.