Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

One step implant procedure with Alloderm - Anyone?

Options

Comments

• YearoftheHat
    YearoftheHat Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hiya Carol.  I also found it helpful to talk with survivors at the beginning, and I still love to meet other survivors, especially those who have this all many years behind them.  I work with a woman who is a 15 year survivor!  You'd never guess she's had health problems at all.  That in itself gives me so much encouragement!

Year of the Hat?  Early on, when I first learned I would need chemo, I was telling my father about it on the phone and he said, "Well, I guess this will be the year of the hat".  Indeed.  He has a good humor about most things.    

Did the American Cancer Society put you in touch with someone?  I didn't opt for that myself.  I didn't feel ready to talk about it until afterward.  You are really doing well to be able to reach out so early on. 

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,839
    edited July 2009
    Options

YearoftheHat, I have a card with the number to call at the American Cancer Society to have someone contact me personally.  I haven't called the number, but I think I will.  Once I recover, I'll probably become involved in that organization and try to help other women who are in my current situation.

• TracyDenver
    TracyDenver Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2009
    Options

Yearofthehat

I had 600ccs put in, but what was surprising was that I went smaller in size yet I got stretch marks. Did this happen to anyone else?

• ShellyJo
    ShellyJo Member Posts: 53
    edited July 2009
    Options

I just had the Bi lat mx with immediate Alloderm and mentor implants on July 8 2009. Besides being sick as a dog from Anesthsia, it wasn't too bad. The drains are a drag but come out soon enough. I had mine for one week. can't wear bra 24/7 it irritates my skin under breast. I do wear it during day for most part and a fitted spandex tank at night. I must say I love the perkiness of the new girls. I was a c cup before and after 2 children they were heading south. Nerves are now regenerating and I feel itching and tingling all which is normal. My ps told me they really don't know what size implant you can get until they get in there. Mine are 375 ml Moderate profile Mentor gummi implants. Makes me a small c cup at this point...

• carolehalston
    edited July 2009
    Options

ShellyJo, thanks for checking in.  I'm glad everything went well with your surgery and you're pleased.  What were you able to do the first couple of weeks?  Judging from your picture, you're younger than I am.

My surgery is coming up on Fri.  I wonder if I'll be able to sleep Thurs. night, even with a couple of benadryl.  I'll be staying overnight in the hospital and going home on Sat., barring complications.  As much as I dread this surgery, I'll be glad to get it done.

• ShellyJo
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hey Carol, Thanx. I am 44 that picture was taken fall 07..Took me weeks to get up confidence to cut some bangs in my waist length hair, If I had only knew I was going to be bald the following summer :( As far as limits, I am not lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk. Walking dog without a leash, Can't have the pulling. I go early so the dog doesnt have many distractions and stays right next to me. The drains made it very difficult to sleep. better now but I am a stomach and side sleeper so its rough. lots of post follow up doctors appts keep me busy. I just started driving again. It will be 2 weeks on wednesday so thats all I have so far...lol I will keep you updated..

• fortunate1
    fortunate1 Member Posts: 467
    edited July 2009
    Options

Carole,

It's true, It will be good to have your surgery over with. The anticipation can be terrible. While I was nearing surgery-day, my son brought me a "heal yourself" book. That's most definitely not the kind of person I am, but it suggested affirmations to get you in the right frame of mind. It embarasses me a little, but I needed something, anything. I wrote myself an affirmation on how this was going to help me, and that all would be fine, the surgery would go perfectly, and I was loved, and that all the hands that would touch me that day would be healing hands....  I was surprised that it focused and calmed me and diverted my scary thoughts. I said it the night before when I woke up, and in the car on the way to the hospital.

I can second ShellyJo on the recovery. One half a pain pill was all I needed at home. The drains were an uncomfortable nuisance, recovery was quick. 

• ShellyJo
    edited July 2009
    Options

Fortunate1~ how long did you actually wear a bra for? Did you wear it 24/7? I just can't..My skin gets so irritated. I wear probably total of 12-18 hours in a 24 hour period.. on and off on and off..

• fortunate1
    edited July 2009
    Options

ShellyJo-

I wasn't given any requirements,so I just did what felt good. After the bandages came off I was given a post operative no support little soft bra. The only thing it did was point the drain tubes in the right direction and hold gauze in place. Comfy. Oh yes, I was asked to wear a compression band at the very beginning, to keep the implant low. I liked that as it felt relaxing to my pectoralis muscle. After the drains came out I tried anything and nothing. If the healing incisions hurt at all I went back to the little 'no bra'. 

I have heard a wide variety of approaches, so very different. I have no idea why they vary so much. You're so early yet. My mast. was Jan. 22., with a revision one month later.

• YearoftheHat
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hello my perky sisters. I haven't been on-line much lately.  I am trying to re-establish old routines and to get some things accomplished.  I've also been trying to get enough rest, having finished chemo 2 months ago.     

Shelley Jo - doctors do differ on this but mine told me not to wear a bra, only loose garments and to let gravity do its work.  Now I wear a training bra.  It's very comfortable.  That's great to be getting sensation back so soon.  I had an axillary dissection on the cancer side and I still can't feel that armpit 8 months later but I have hope.  I could do so little during 5 months of chemo so I'm just now becoming active again.

Tracey - I went smaller in size at 450 ccs, and like you even 600 would have been smaller, but they removed so much breast tissue during my mast that there wasn't a whole lot left to cover.  I do have very faint stretch marks on the underside that start at the IMF and others that start at the scar line.  They really aren't noticable.

Carole- I was also concerned about not having enough sleep beforehand but once you are 'out' you'll be getting rest believe me.  I had been working hard for years and truly, I loved being able to stay in bed a while.  I asked my doctor to prescribe ativan to take the morning of so I wouldn't be so nervous and she did.  It was fine and it helped me.  I figured, how many tmes will I be in this situation?  One ativan is OK.  I am thinking of you and know you'll come through with flying colors.  My good friend is having the procedure next Wednesday.  I hope she joins us here soon. 

• carolehalston
    edited July 2009
    Options

Fortunate1, thanks for sharing about the affirmation.  Even the idea of it is soothing. 

YearoftheHat, I appreciate your reasurances, too.

Yesterday afternoon my husband and I went to the pre-opt appointments with both surgeons and also the pre-opt at the surgery center.  We were told to be at the surgery center at 5:45 am on Fri.  Those appointments made the scheduled surgery real.  "This is really going to happen," I realized with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.  We got back home around 5:30.  Had a martini and then went out to dinner at a new Italian restaurant located about 3 min. from our house.  After dinner, we had dessert at another new little place that serves frozen custard.  We hadn't planned in advance to go to either place.  Normally we're not that spontaneous and maybe we should be in the future. 

During the next few days, I'll get everything in order at my house.  Thurs. afternoon I have to go for the injection for the SNB.

I have some valium pills that the radiologist prescribed to ease my nervousness when I went for the MRI and PET/CT scan.  I think I'll ask whether it's ok to take one Fri. morning. 

Thanks for all the support.  It means a lot.

• ShellyJo
    edited July 2009
    Options

Carol~ definitely get everything in order, go to market and pick up all the heavy items and stock up, Catch up on laundry and heavy housework. Change sheets etc. You will need extra pillows unless you are comfortable sleeping on your back. That is hard for me being a side and stomach sleeper. I put a pillow under my knees and one under each arm for support. Also will keep your husband or dog from banging into you chest at night.

Yearofthehat~ I did have full ax node removal in Oct and my arm was sore and numb for months after. I had no nodes removed this time and a simple mx.  I still have sensation in the skin covering my breast. Albiet I have no nipples yet. 

fortunate~what kind of revision did you have one month later?

• fortunate1
    edited July 2009
    Options

Carole, I have to laugh. ShellyJo's comment about housework. I am a negligent housekeeper, but realizing that I wasn't going to be able to do much combined with lots of visitors, prompted me to do a lot of last minute cleaning. It felt good to come home to my pretty house looking it's best.

ShellyJo, I had a bit of tissue on the incision that died. The PS trimmed it out and resutured the scar.  

I may have to wait even longer for a nipple. Though my breast is very soft, my scar is firm and my breast isn't rounding out at the end. It looks fabulous from the front. Maybe the implant should have been a higher profile. PS is puzzled. I have no idea what size it is. My PS chose it to match my other breast. All I know is that it was moderate profile and wide to fit my wide chest. I'm a full B cup.

• Meg9
    Meg9 Member Posts: 306
    edited July 2009
    Options

Carole,

I will be thinking of you on Friday. I had bilateral Mx with one step reconstruction 8 weeks ago today. I was in the hospital for 2 nights. The drains are annoying, but I did not find them painful. They were pinned to the front of the bra they gave me and that is how I kept them. They were removed two weeks later, but it depends on how many cc comes out in a day. I kept a chart and recorded the date and amount each time I emptied them. I brought the chart with me when I went to see my PS. When they remove the drains it is over real quick....no pain afterward.

I had difficulty sleeping after the surgery, because I could not lay flat on my back or sides.  I arranged 3 pillows against my headboard until I was comfortable. I also used 2 smaller travel sized pillows to place under my arms.

I was careful not to lift anything more than 3 pounds as directed by my PS.  I wore a bra 24/7 for 6 weeks.  My PS recommended a sports bra that hooked in the front and had Velcro straps. At night I wore a leisure bra to sleep.

I took prescription pain pills when I got home for a few days...then just over the counter pain med. It took awhile for the swelling to go down and to have full use of my arms. I could not open a bottle for a while or reach high to get something off a shelf.

Just give yourself the time you need...your body will let you know.  Eight weeks later...I can sleep on by back and side with one pillow. I still do not lift anything heavy...if I do I feel a pull and ache in my chest muscles, but I have full range of my arms.  I am back to walking on my tread mill, but have not started weights yet.  Other wise, my life is pretty much back to normal. 

Good Luck on Friday.

• fortunate1
    edited July 2009
    Options

I am taking off on a road trip with my sweet hubby. I will check in to see how everyone is if I can, and perhaps tomorrow before I leave. One of our stops will be the Grand Tetons. Is a park named after Big Breasts the perfect place to visit?

Carole. Be well. Be patient with yourself. In a few days you will be healing. One more image to leave with you. After my surgery I was absolutely giddy with relief. Euphoric at having the cancer gone. I wish the same for you.

• okiegal
    okiegal Member Posts: 333
    edited July 2009
    Options

Carole,

I will be thinking of you also on Thursday and Friday. Those were my scheduled days exactly eight weeks ago. Meg9 is only a few days ahead of me and I concur with her description almost 100%. I'm still taking some pain medication, mostly because I see no reason to suffer at all. I started cutting back about 10 days ago. I feel fine. Took a half of Valium the night before surgery and did great.

• carolehalston
    edited July 2009
    Options

Fortunate1, enjoy the Tetons.  It's an absolutely gorgeous place.  My husband and I spent a week there last July.  The alpine meadows in the the mountains were covered with wild flowers.  I hope I will have good news to share when you return.

• YearoftheHat
    edited July 2009
    Options

Carol - Fortunate is so right. I woke up from surgery and it seemed that the sickness was all out of me.  It was a great feeling. 

• carolehalston
    edited July 2009
    Options

Tomorrow's the big Surgery Day.  Say a prayer for me.

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited July 2009
    Options

I have been following this thread and wanted to comment. I didn't have the one step but did have alloderm with the expanders with my bilat June 07. Carole, good luck tomorrow and on that note, drink plenty of fluids today and as late as possible tonight (midnight for me). It will help prepare your body to flush out the anesthetic you will be getting tomorrow.

Sheila

• YearoftheHat
    edited July 2009
    Options

You're in my thoughts Carol.  You'll do great!!!!!!!!!!

• Meg9
    edited July 2009
    Options

Been almost 9 weeks now. Has anyone found that your breasts got smaller and tighter as you healed? In the beginning they looked larger and felt soft.....now they are definitely smaller and harder.  My muscles feel real tight and the site of the drains are sore.  I also have this bulge on the outside of my breasts that I was hoping would go away...I thought this was part of the swelling, but doesn't seem like it. Shaving my armpits became interesting...they seem in deep valleys and unreachable.  Funny when sleeping.....when I turn on my side it's like hitting a bumper and you stop. Many changes to get used to....but grateful to be rid of the cancer. Anyone experienced this?

Carole - Good luck tomorrow....I will say a prayer for you.

• okiegal
    edited July 2009
    Options

I'll be eight weeks tomorrow. My breasts also look smaller, the swelling has gone down. There were and still are swollen area on both sides. It's worse on the left because that was the side of my SNB and site of my longest remaining drain. It's also fairly hard in the swollen area (fluid build up?). My PS's nurse encouraged daily massage. She also said that the Alloderm had a tendency to get hard and showed me how to massage gently from about the 3rd week. I've been diligent and things are softer especially since the swelling is dissipating and things are healing. Hope that helps give you a little bit of a reference point.

• ShellyJo
    edited July 2009
    Options

I am 2.5 weeks out. Healing nicely but I am sooo wiped out. Nurse said this is normal. Does anyone else feel drained post surgery for weeks after?

• okiegal
    edited July 2009
    Options

Absoulutely! Your'e body has been through a lot with surgery and the anesthetic. It's doing a lot of unseen healing work and that makes you draggy.

Early in my recovery, I thought I was doing pretty well, feeling better, moving around the house fairly easily. Went to a doctor's appointment and didn't think I was going to make it across the parking lot! My 76 year old mother moved much faster. I really noticed improvement after week 4. Started exercising again this week (post op 8 yesterday) and realize that I am going to have to build up slowly. I probably could have started walking earlier, but the weather was way too hot.

• ShellyJo
    edited July 2009
    Options

Thanx Okie~ I am walking everyday a few blocks only, Light housework. I saw Oncologist on Thursday and he said I was anemic probably due to recent surgery, I have been taking iron for last 3 days and feel sooo much better. I wish someone had told me that sooner. Also he said Vit D was low and D is proven to help fight cancer.. so a little tip to you girls about supplements. I am now taking 1000 of Vit D a day now..

• Meg9
    edited July 2009
    Options

ShellyJo

I am going on 9 weeks. I just started to exercise again, but very slowly. At 2.5 weeks I took short walks..I didn't have much energy for anything else.  I still do not have any strength in my arms...the other day I couldn't close my umbrella!  My primary doc just tested my blood levels for Vitamin D.  I don't have the results yet, but she also said vitamin D helps to fight cancer.

Okiegal 

I started massaging my breasts at six weeks when I saw my PS. I find it makes me sore. My skin feels like it's sunburned. PS said this would help aviod capsular contracture. They still feel hard and I think I'm still swollen. They change shape almost everyday!

• YearoftheHat
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi ladies.

I read somehwere a while back that the tissues do contract as they heal and your breasts will look a little smaller.  

Meg, that's funny about the bumper.  I do feel like implants have a rubbery quality.  I saw a lovely young woman yesterday, beautifully endowed and I envied her naturalness.  I suppose I could still do flaps at some point but there are too many negatives that go along with that for me.  

It took a very long time for me to feel normal.  I still have stiffness after pushing a vaccuum cleaner around or doing much housework.  There is still some very soft puffiness on the Ax side.  The folds of tissue on the sides of the breasts are still there too which is one reason I have opted for revision surgery.  I guess the chances of needing revision are fairly high for both capsular contracture and cosmetic reasons.

I did regular massage after my surgery.  I think the technique as I undertsand it, is to move the implants up and down and to the sides within the pocket, by sqeezing toward the middle at the edges.  

Overall, I like the way they look but I can't wait to have all the finishing touches in September. 

• okiegal
    edited July 2009
    Options

Meg9 - I was very gentle with my massage early on...then it started to feel better. My skin was very sensitive the first 5-6 weeks, lot's of peeling skin, itching and shooting pains/tingling, but has returned to normal. My PS required I keep my drains until they were below 15ml, so I think I didn't have to worry about too much fluid buildup. However, when I visited my surgeon (not the PS) a week or so ago, I asked her about the more swollen, hard (and tender) side. She examined and suggested it was fluid buildup. Perhaps yours is a similar issue?

ShellyJo - It's good that you talked to your doctor. I wondered about anemia after I posted...glad to hear you are feeling better! I need to be more diligent about my vitamins...went for a little swim yesterday (mostly floating!) and a walk today:)

• carolehalston
    edited July 2009
    Options

Hi, everyone.  This is Day Four and I'm feeling pretty good.  On Surgery Day (Fri.) I awoke in Recovery and was euphoric.  "I'm alive!" I thought, feeling an immense relief.  Next I rejoiced over the tumor being gone from my breast.  A short time later I was in my room and my husband was there.  My sister also came and sat with me.  No pain because I had a morphine pump.  Also a catheter and oxygen.  Day Two was rough.  I got up and walked a couple of times and had the ride home.  Not a long ride, about 15 min.  Pain management was the On-Q pump and darvaset pills.  Day Three I quit taking the darvaset and switched to the strongest time-released tylenol because the darvaset made me queasy and light-headed and I wanted to walk around as much possible.  Today is the first day I felt any interest in the computer.

The drains are disgusting and smell bad.  I haven't had a lot of drainage.  My husband has been taking care of that.  My surgeon wants them shut off for 4 hours and open for 1 hr. so the numbing agent from the On-Q pump isn't drained off quickly.  That seems to work.  This pump is my dearest friend but it will soon be empty, maybe by tomorrow.  I go for an appointment tomorrow with the nurse practitioner. 

I'm not impressed with my breasts.  They look like fat pancakes, but I haven't looked at them much.  I'm wearing a soft bra with velcro down the front.

Our neighbors worked out a schedule to bring us food.  I don't eat a lot but I've eaten regular meals.  Today, thank heaven, my bowels finally started to work.  I've been taking Miralax, which someone on this website recommended.

I read through the posts I'd missed quickly but I'll go back another day and read them again.  I'm glad everyone is doing well.  I'll be so happy when I can write that I'm eight weeks out from surgery!