Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Catholics

Options

Comments

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited December 2020
    Options

Just beautiful Astrid!

• elainetherese
    elainetherese Member Posts: 1,627
    edited December 2020
    Options

I will be attending midnight Mass with my daughter. They will have to make space for us because I'm the lector! Otherwise, I've been attending 7:00 am Mass which has always been sparsely attended. It's easy to social distance! Have a joyful Advent and Christmas season!

• Astrid
    Astrid Member Posts: 1,033
    edited December 2020
    Options

That is Lichfield Cathedral in England JACK5IE.🙂

MC, yes that is risky going to church with som many covid cases. We were not allowed at all until we were completely clear over here. Seems quite lenient in Wisconsin? Anyway vaccine is being rolled out now so hopefully 2021 is much smoother sailing for us all.🙏💝

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

• mcbaker
    mcbaker Member Posts: 1,799
    edited December 2020
    Options

Astrid, they did a good job projecting those pictures. They are beautiful.

Our Democrat governor made an executive order to shut things down, which the state supreme court, dominated by conservatives, overturned, saying that the governor did not have the power to do such things. So basically we have "recommendations". Local governments, however, have the power to mandate masks, shut down bars, etc. Odd that our Republican president governed by executive order, but our governor can't.

This plan was developed by the diocese. Every other pew is used. In most cases, the maximum number of people in a pew would be four, unless a family takes up the entire pew. Everyone is masked. There are two hours between masses. That gives a crew time to wipe down everything. Communion is given only in the hand, unless the communicant is particularly stubborn. Maintain six feet distance. Missals and hymn books are gone. Etc. and etc. Sunday obligation is suspended. There are good Catholics in the parish who choose to not go to Mass. Christmas Mass-- I correct myself---is not an obligation. Initially we had no music, but they decided it was not a risk factor if the singers are masked. So we have Mass, but definitely not business as usual.

• iamloved
    iamloved Member Posts: 197
    edited December 2020
    Options

MCBaker...basically the same as my Diocese except we do have music. We are asked not to sing loudly but come midnight Mass I will be rejoicing. After all we have masks and are social distanced! 🎵👼🎄🎁

• feelingfeline
    feelingfeline Member Posts: 5,145
    edited December 2020
    Options

We have had two long periods of shut churches as a part of two national lockdowns. They have been open since the middle of the second week of Advent. We have mandatory masks. No singing. On the upside of that we have had some beautiful MP3s being played by our priests for entrance/communion/recessional. We must have 1 hour of ventilation and sanitising between masses and I am one of the people on the stewarding and sanitising rota. Last Thursday I was on duty and after mass Father Pat left the music on so we were cleaning away to the most glorious music! As you know the acoustics in churches are made for such heavenly sounds!

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

• mcbaker
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thank you, Astrid. That one means a lot for me.

• iamloved
    edited December 2020
    Options

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2020
    Options

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

so beautiful FF!

Just back from midnite mass. Not quite the same without a choir this year but so lovely to ne a part of a full cathedral all there to give thanks ..all loving Christ together.

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    edited December 2020
    Options

Beautiful photos! Thank you for posting.

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2020
    Options

Christ is born. Halleluia! XXX

• feelingfeline
    edited December 2020
    Options

From the Christmas Day Dawn Mass at Wicklow Town. This is our last in person mass for sometime as we are entering a new national Lockdown. (I suppose it's a nice note to go out on.)

• mcbaker
    edited December 2020
    Options

I should have taken some pictures last night. I will probably hang around Sunday and take some pictures. Not as impressive as your cathedral.

I have been wearing these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CN0USTW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 lately. Father approves, because I had been wearing leggings with long tops which are not all that long sometimes. Nice to go about the house with the leggings and long top, and get a skirt on quick before going someplace, particularly to Mass. (I have to confess that I felt judgmental at the way some were dressed last night, even though a month ago I was dressed the same.)

The leggings are because my waist is large, due to a large fluid-filled cyst on my liver, and anything with a defined waist binds.

I wish all, both those who post on this thread, and those who just visit, a Blessed Christmas!

• elainetherese
    edited December 2020
    Options

Those skirts are lovely, McBaker. I'm sorry to hear about your cyst! My daughter and I went to midnight Mass last night and the service was beautiful. The choir of ten (can only fit ten in our choir loft, socially distanced) was in fine form -- they wore masks, but you never would have known. A blessed Christmas to all!

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

Love tHe photos FF and thankyou JACK5IE.

Yes blessed peace to all. Boxing Day here.

• superius
    superius Member Posts: 310
    edited December 2020
    Options

MERRY CHRISTMAS! I don't come to this board often, but I haver to share my BEST PRESENT, EVER!!!

My friend got a new job as Music Director (officially just this past week).

He was our church organist, who was fired in Jan for no particular reason. claiming the priest want to revamp the music ministry (wouldn't you want the best musician with you instead of firing them?) Then they claimed some diocese rules or he's not appropriate as ministry, they they actually attacked his characters & integrity.... blah blah blah… With lost of income, and piano teaching moving online, etc Things got quite bad, that in Sept, he was asking choir members to help out ($) Bawling

Christmas Eve early afternoon, he called -- Merry Christmas, He's not home, but at work, on break, between Masses. "Wait, WHAT?! MASS?!" He told me he just started officially at the new church last week. as MUSIC DIRECTOR! Basically building up the music ministry (they never have choir or anything before).

He asked the priest upfront, that he grew up in eastern rites (orthodox? he's from Ukraine) Is that a problem being hired as the director? The priest told him NO. but if he wants to be confirmed in the roman rites, he can go thru RCIA. He can go to communion if he wants to. He said that 18, 19 years at the old church, some people always made him feel like second class citizen as he's not roman catholic.

You know the saying "Tears of Joy"? I couldn't stop crying Christmas eve. I still do when I think of the things that happened...

Then Christmas Day morning, got another call - "aren't you coming to Mass? you should able to get here on time." I promptly rolled my eyes & went to Mass in person.

• elainetherese
    edited December 2020
    Options

What great news, Superius! I'm so happy for you and your friend. Our music director isn't Catholic (he's Episcopalian), but he has the most beautiful voice. Since we haven't been able to have a full choir, just having him at every Mass has been a blessing. I hope your friend enjoys many years of fulfilling employment at his new parish!

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

wonderful news Superius!

Smile

Elaine we have two cantors with horrible vibratos. One female one male. I find it so offputting. I don't understand why one is head cantor. And yet there is another male cantor who sangat midnite mass with a sublime voice, we rarely get to hear.

Ah well. Might write a little letter to the music director.Happy

• superius
    superius Member Posts: 310
    edited December 2020
    Options

Thank You, Thank You!

the previous director retired after 30 years at the church. I was thinking, I can do 30 years. My friend has been the unwavering support through the BC journey. Life Goal = Be there for Retirement party!

• iamloved
    edited December 2020
    Options

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

ohhh! so beautiful Iamloved!

the happiest of New Years to all deep peace and all good blessings.

Christ apothecary. May the healing of Holy Spirit be upon you, and the good medicine applied as balm to our souls.

• mcbaker
    edited December 2020
    Options

Astrid, what a beautiful concept!! Thank you!

• Astrid
    edited December 2020
    Options

Heart

• feelingfeline
    edited January 2021
    Options

DS Lighting the advent wreath Christmas Day.

Happy New Year to All.

• feelingfeline
    edited January 2021
    Options

Christmas Art

• Astrid
    edited January 2021
    Options

Beautiful FF.

🙂💖🙏