Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,311

Speaklng of PINK - TheDevineMrsM has started a thread "Are you a fan of awareness". It's in the Stage IV area but she's welcomed anyone else to post their opinions. There have been some really thoughtful answers so far.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topic/834968?page=2#idx_42

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Thanks, MinusTwo. I posted a little something over there. I'm not a fan of Pinktober, but as much as I like to rant on, I just cannot seem to work up a lot of steam and join the firebrand anti-Pink militants. I must be better at turning a blind eye, or just be too lazy for real activism. Probably both.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

Hey everyone, I haven't been here in a while, very busy with work and stuff! I have an appointment with my PS tomorrow morning to decide if I am going to have nipple recon. Not sure I want another surgery. I'm not one of the young ones here and hubby and I have been married for over 30 years. Why do I need a nipple?? Why go through another surgery? LOL

I also developed a couple of small pinkish welts (for lack of a better term) in my incision area. The PA at the MO's office last week thought they looked like an irritation, but if they didn't go away we might want to take biopsy. My MO didn't even look at them and said "Just keep an eye on it and if it gets worse let us know". Then Monday I get a a call from the BS office to schedule a biopsy! I told them, well first, my schedule for Monday was insane, and second that they weren't that concerned with it. Apparently the notes they put in the computer goes to everyone who is working and has worked on my case.

The marks haven't gone away so I'm a little more concerned now. Has anyone had something like this pop up? I had my surgery in May.

• lbrewer
    lbrewer Member Posts: 96

Homecoming,

I would go see the BS. It's probably nothing but why stress anymore than you need. I'm an older one here too. Think I will go with 3d tattoo since I don't want another surgery either. I had a nipple done the first time around and it shrunk anyway.

Would really like to volunteer for 3d printed ones if that comes alomg!

• homemom

I saw the PS today and they told me they were just microscopic spider veins! I think I am going to go through with the surgery. As much as I don't like the idea of more surgery, I do have an issue looking at my self in the mirror and I hide my boob so my husband doesn't look at it. Crazy I know, but I think this will help with my self esteem when it comes to that. He told me today that my skin is perfect for a nipple recon, it's hardly even been affected by the radiation. I might get a tummy tuck while they are at it. My deductible is totally met and so the recon won't cost me a dime.

I still told my PS that I would think it over and get back to them early next week. We are going to the beach this weekend, so I'll discuss with my hubby then.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Homemom: have you considered nipple tattoos? I have seen some 3D ones that look absolutely amazing. I know there is a thread about Vinnie,, who is the nipple guru. Just to mention if you decide against surg but still want nips

• treelilac
    treelilac Member Posts: 138

I've always wondered: do the 3D ones look great not just in images but also hmm in 3D?

• homemom

I would think it would be tough to match them up if you go for stick ons. I thought about Vinnie, but I'd have to fly to New Orleans just to do it. Meh. Been there and done that town. lol

Plus he is going to raise my surviving nipple up a little bit more. Ugh.

• glennie19

Homemom, I went to the Pink Door in Palatka and she matched up my remaining nipple with a stick on. You may want to check it out. It's a really nice shop.

And I think Vinnie also goes to Baltimore,,, and somewhere in California too.

• moesje
    moesje Member Posts: 2

I'm 53 and was diagnosed with Stage IV HER+ breast cancer; a dozen lymph nodes in my armpit and two spots on the thoracic spine. I've completed 6 rounds of herceptin/perjeta/carboplatin/taxotere. I'll continue on H&P indefinitely; Oct 9 is surgery and then possibly radiation on lymph nodes and breast.

My question might have been answered already, but I'll ask anyway: I've been post-menopausal the last 4 years. This month I've noticed discharge and then today, ovarian pain as if my period is starting. Is is possible to restart after so long?

Thanks!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

moesje, so sorry you have to be here looking for an answer to your question. Someone will most likely be on tomorrow who can answer your question. I was surgical menopausal at 48 so I haven't a clue about an answer for you. That would be a bummer for sure, but it could be a lashout to some of the terror your body has already been through. I had taxotere for part of my regimine. not something I want to ever have to do again. Hang in there!

• homemom

Glennie I thought about Vinnie too. New Orleans would be the best place to go. We used to live in Baton Rouge and it would be nice to go visit since it's been almost 30 years since we've been there. Do those stick on stay on a long time and can you re use them, or are there a bunch in a pack?

• glennie19

Homemom: yes, they are reusable. You get two of them. I ended up not using them, cuz I developed lymphedema and I have to use compression across my chest area. So it was kinda pointless to wear them. I don't remember how much they cost, but I don't recall it being terribly expensive. And the woman at the Pink Door was really good at matching my real nipple. I took a friend with me,, showed her, and her jaw dropped,,, looked that close. So if you ever plan a trip to St Augustine,, just swing over to Palatka and check it out. Although, you may have a place closer to you in the big O!

• elimar

moesje, I know that the anti-hormonal drugs can cause discharge, but I am not sure about the HER2+ ones. It seems unlikely that your menopause would reverse after 4 years. I am sure this will be something you will asks the docs at your next visit, especially if you continue to have ovarian pain. In the meantime, maybe search around in the Stage IV forum for a chemo thread with those drugs and re-ask the question there; OR find a Herceptin and/or Perjeta thread to ask there. It is not like no one here had the same drugs as you (I, myself, had different drugs) but you will probably get the most responses on threads about the same drugs as yours. I hope you find the answer and all the best for your upcoming surgery. You are always welcome here, so keep us posted.

• scrunchthecat
    scrunchthecat Member Posts: 138

Hi Moesje - I am on THP (not THCP), diagnosed maybe a month after you. I was pre-menopausal when I started treatment, but THP seems to have pushed me into Chemopause. I have not had a period since June. Tuesday is my last round of THP (I will probably go on HP indefinitely), and I am curious to see if I will still be menopausal when the T part ends. That does not answer your question, but just so you know someone else is dealing with similar issues.

• lbrewer
    lbrewer Member Posts: 96

home on who is your surgeon in Orlando

• moesje
    moesje Member Posts: 2

Thanks elimar. I see my onco this coming Friday, so I'll ask then.

lbrewer, thank you!

• eph3_12

MY ONLY KID IS 21 TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN????????????????

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

Does that mean you have to be 22 now?

• homemom

lbrewer - my surgeon was Dr. Kemp. She was great but I'm still numb on most of the left area. Not much of my feeling came back. I'm going to go ahead and have the surgery. It isn't going to cost me a dime, and I AM a little self concious when I look in the mirror which makes me feel the same way during sex. So, yeah, on to the "cherry on top" so to speak! LOL

• eph3_12

NM, hahahahaha!

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

• 6doggies
    6doggies Member Posts: 66

Loral, Happy Fall to you as well! Where did the summer go? That means we are one day closer to snow coming to us living in the snow belt here in Ohio!! Loopy

• treelilac

It's that season again. Time flies!

• eph3_12

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA. ThumbsUpHappyLOVE FALL!

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

imageimageWe get plenty too.....

• treelilac

The last couple of winters almost killed our back fence shrubs (orange jasmine). We thought they were a goner and needed replanting. Luckily an arborist was able to revive them. I hope there are no more "polar vortex" stuffs this year.

• elimar

Please re-read the final paragraph in the opening post. Your restraint will be forever appreciated.

Allow me to direct you to places where those weather posts can be appreciated:

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/84/topic/709601?page=10

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/109/topic/745894?page=117#post_4047153

• elimar

Oh, I just took another look at those threads linked above. They have kind of fizzled out (but feel free to reactivate them) and I am going to guess that is because (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...sorry, I dozed off there for a minute.) As dramatic as actual weather events can be, the talk of them puts me asleep.

Just a couple months ago, this thread celebrated a 6-year milestone. That could not have happened if the comments were not interesting, fresh and lively. Please let's keep it that way. I hope all can understand that what might be perceived as a lack of tact on my part, as far as the weather talk is concerned, is me being straightforward in my desire not to have this thread put anyone to sleep or fizzle out. Or to have it go out with a BANG, at least, and not the whimper that is the talk of weather.