Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

off to consult number one. I am really stressed out today 😖 Hope she can help me. I hate the thought of another surgery

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Hey, Dianarose, how did it go?

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338

Praying for you, Dianarose. Sheesh, you've had a really tough time here lately. Praying for some good options and relief.

Lita

• Dianarose

Consult didn't go how the other urologist thought it would. She said it's too difficult to see what's going on with the scan and said surgery could kill me. She suggested a new oncologist and is going to try to help me get one. Going to Lahey tomorrow and will hear what he says. Hopefully can get matched with an oncologist there to get things started. She said need chemo. Just want to get things going. Another infection in the kidney with the tube so back on antibiotics 😘 Have to have the tube replaced soon. I'm tired

• elimar

Dianarose, clearly you are in a weakened state because this has been going on for some time now. What have you found out about your nutrition? Can you have semi-solids? Can you eat a few low fiber/low residue foods? I'm asking because based on what you described to us before, how are you supposed to get strong when you can't hardly eat anything? Shouldn't they be trying to build you up in case you really need surgery above everything else? Maybe getting some new members on your team will be a step in the right direction. Just wish this could turn around for you a lot quicker, and if I feel like it is really dragging on a long time, I can just imagine how it feels for you, my poor friend.

image <<Love me some crazy cat-head graphic!>>

• Dianarose

el- I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. I am hoping at Lahey all the doctors I need are in the same dam place. I can't do this much longer. Still losing weight. They need to do another scan now that everything has been pumped out and the inflammation is down. We saw the scan and it was crazy scary. Couldn't tell what was what but all she had was the scan just before they pumped my stomach. I was told she had all of them. All we do is run around getting scans, reports and then they don't get forwarded. I need the tube changed out but now there is an infection 😖 Poor hubby is exhausted. This all started in June and we have no plan! Going to have a mental breakdown soon. They need to do a scan to see if I can or can not eat anything else

• positive2strong
    positive2strong Member Posts: 209

dear elimar,

I think I have the same diagnosis as you. I am scheduled for surgery oct 10

I am 66, how old were you when diagnosed and did you have lumpectomy with radiation.

I am so nervous about being put under for the surgery.

But I know my diagnosis is good so far

• elimar

Positive2strong, welcome! I was younger but, yes I did have lumpectomy + whole breast radiation. On that other thread you posted on, a person suggested that when you have your pre-surgery talk with the anesthesiologist, to ask for an anti-anxiety drug beforehand. I didn't want to add more drugs to the mix myself, but that would be a good idea if you are really panicking. A lot of times we just panic about the unknown. I was scared of radiation too, but after going to the first one or two treatments, it turned out to be quite boring.

For me, at seven years out, I would say I 95% feel that I am done with BC. If your Dx is the same as mine, you statistically do have a good prognosis, just get ready to spend the next 6 mos on the hamster wheel of treatment, and then you will no doubt learn the joys of being on an anti-hormonal drug for at least five years. Your life just changed, but it doesn't have to be all for the bad. For instance, you already found a place of info. and support from some good people. Good Luck with your surgery. Let us know how it goes.

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Diana..thinking about you and hoping this all ends positively for you soon......Maybe a new MO and a new hospital??? I have found that the scans lately don't show enough info. or the info. is not accurate which leads to more testing, which leads to more money for the hospitals...Your's is a non-profit, teaching hospital...mine was too...

• loral

Diana is this one close to you....Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center, Boston

The Top 20 Cancer Hospitals

1Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK) Cancer Center, New York City
    2University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston
    3Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
    4Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women's Cancer Center, Boston
    5Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland
    6University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle
    7Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
    8UCSF Medical Center, San Francisco
    9UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
    10Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, California
    11Hospitals of the University of Pennsylvania–Penn Presbyterian, Philadelphia
    12City of Hope, Los Angeles
    13Cleveland Clinic
    14New York–Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell, New York City
    15University of Colorado Hospital, Denver
    16Moffitt Cancer Center, Tampa, Florida
    17Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago
    18Seidman Cancer Center at UH Case Medical, Cleveland
    19Fox Chase Cancer Center, Philadelphia
    20Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Winston–Salem, North Carolina

• Dianarose

Doc at Lahey said surgery would be far to dangerous. Said chemo like the other doc did yesterday. I have an appointment with a breast cancer oncologist Wednesday morning. Having all my records sent to her. She is associated with our big hospital here. I need to have all my doctors in the same area especially when something happens on the dam weekends which it always does. I am mentally toast! My stomach bothers me most. I can feel it moving like contractions to rid the food. Will be so happy if that resolves. I have a high pain tolerance so I would say it's very uncomfortable verses painful plus I know it's not normal.

Loral- thanks for all your research. If there comes a time that I do need surgery I would definitely go to one of them

• loral

Diana..I hope you get the answers you need from the breast cancer oncologist on Wednesday..Good Luck!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

E-beautiful picture.

Dianarose-how sad I am for you and anxious on your behalf. Please keep posting to let us know what is happening. I am a pray-er so know that I am~

To the new gal, sorry I didn't write down your name and I can't scroll back pages when I am in the reply section. I hope that you will review threads for people getting ready to undergo treatments in the same time frame as you, plus check this thread out too. There is some pretty funny stuff back in the day. Laughter helps so much, in so many situations.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,308

Wow Elimar - great picture in the header. Thanks.

• elimar

MT, I put that pic up because it is supposed to be Maine (or some New England place, at least) because I am thinking of Dianarose. As usual, it is just an image I found online. You don't want to see the actual trees I am forced to view each day. They aren't pretty colors. They have ugly Fall webworms on them and look disgusting. Nature's great but why does it have to have so many nasty bugs?

• Dianarose

El- it's beautiful here right now

• Dianarose

imageOur neighborhood

• Dianarose

where did everyone go? Having fun I hope 🤗

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Waiting for updates from you!!! Holding our breaths...how are you doing?

• Dianarose

Been trying to wrap my head around everything. Monday I go in for my port and once that's in they will flip me over and change out the naphostomy tube. Wednesday I start chemo, Taxol. Still need to see a gynecologist oncologist for the vaginal lumps. Got my hair cut even shorter today in a pixie. My tumor marker was 175.1 which is the highest since I've had them done

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I've seen here on BCO tumour markers in the 3,000 range! Hang in there, sweetie...

• Lita57

Because of my mets to both bone and multiple organs, mine are way up in the high thousands. My MO won't even measure them anymore. She said it's pointless and it will just depress me. She prefers to go by what my scans say.

Take care, Lita

• Dianarose

wow, those are high markers! Sorry😓 Went and bought a wig today. Red and curly like my own hair.

Is anyone on Letrozole? I have been on it for three weeks and have such bad body aches.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend

• eph3_12

Dianarose, I was on Letrozole for 5 yrs. I had bad aches and pains for the 1st couple months and then it evened out some. I would have flares, but for the most part, I sailed through it. Not that I'd want to do it again, mind you. Good luck my friend.

I have battened down the hatches here at home. Waiting for the storm of the century to hit although I think northern Oregon and southern Washington will be hammered more than us (sorry E~just want you all to know I am safe! Happy

• Lita57

Dianarose and Eph...MO will probably put me on Letrozole or one of the other AI's eventually. Not looking forward to the aches and pains cuz I already got plenty of those already. If she puts me on 'em in December, I'll ask her to wait until AFTER the holidays. I'd like to be able to put up a tree this year. Couldn't do it last year because of home remodeling, and couldn't do it the year before because my former company relocated and I was working lots of OT, and the year before that we got a new rescue dog.......so this year I AM getting a Christmas tree. No more excuses!

Lita

• Lita57

Here's the picture they took of me at Washington Hospital's Think Pink event on Thurs., 10/13. Not a bad pic considering I was really feeling like crap...

Have a great weekend,

Lita

• biscuits
    biscuits Member Posts: 2,158

You would never know that you were feeling poorly...with that smile, you look beautiful! What a great picture

• Lita57

Thank you!

L

• eph3_12

Very nice Lita.

Not everyone suffers on Letrozole so don't go into it being frightened. I was scared; I had been reading on a Femara forum and the people who posted there were mostly folks that were having major trouble. Those of us who were just sort of riding the curve didn't post as much, but I did some, because I wanted people coming on to know it wasn't all terrible, horrible, awful! I think grandma used to say, "Don't borrow trouble"..never really knew what that meant when I was a kid, but I do now!

• elimar

Lita57, I agree with biscuits...hard to tell you feel crappy when you look so pretty with your pink boa and million dollar smile.

Dianarose, Hope you can adjust to the Letrozole like Eph did. Don't forget to get yourself a cute hat or two (for those days when you "flip your wig.")

Loopy Sorry, there was just no way I could pass that one up but, seriously, with Winter coming a soft, warm hat would also come in handy and I have been seeing some cool looking ones lately.