Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

we didn't win yesterday but we have plenty of snacks now😎 Tough competition with a lot of entries. Always fun though.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908

Sounds like a great bake-off, no matter who wins!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Congrats on your winnings Diana! All those cookies and muffins sound scrumptious too! I like to bake but I am a lazy baker - if there is too many ingredients, too many steps or it takes too long I shy away from it.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I haven't baked since 2000, when I told my then 6 yr old daughter if she wanted cookies she'd have to do it herself!! She is an excellent baker. (Disclaimer: she might have been a tad older, but not much. I picked 6 for effect. I figured it would be more believeable than 3!!!! which is probably when it really was Loopy

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I'm sure this won't go over well with Dianarose and most of the rest of you, but I refrain from using my oven during June/July/August when I just don't want to add to the heat of the house or compete with the A/C that usually has to be on during those months. I guess our desserts tend to be the frozen kind during that time.

• eph3_12

My desserts are pretty much all the frozen kind, all year round. I, too, do not add to the heat of the house. this place I am in has no A/C=using oven, no option!

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Elimar: me too, I have a lot of Zucchini waiting to become bread...Cooler later in the week!Winking

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,308

Elimar - in total agreement about adding heat. I don't even do roasted meats or veggies or casseroles during May - September. I do lots of skillet or microwave or grill things. Of course in Houston I remember Christmas dinners with all the trimmings when it was over 80 degrees outside and the only way we could cook was to crank down the air conditioning.

• elimar

I feel much less OCD now about my oven habits, since I am not alone with my seasonal baking restrictions.

----------------------------------

Hope no one feels too offended that they did not get invited along today for my 5th (but who's counting?) colonoscopy experience. I don't think I could have borne the aroma of all the treats emanating out of the pocket because I felt SO HUNGRY after my prep yesterday. I only got some Versed, so was kind of awake for parts of it ("look, that is where we joined you back together." "Yeah, I see...zzzz." ) They are really quite boring now and there was no new evil spotted taking up residence down there. Since they are so run of the mill now, I just had my surgeon, who completed his alien probe internship a while back, doing the procedure. They don't even bother taking me up to the mothership anymore. They probably just get their updates on me from the implant now anyway. Doc said to come back in three years, but I like to remember nice round numbers so my brain automatically made the conversion to 2020.

You know how they try and get people into a wheelchair on the way out no matter what, but then it takes a long time for the chair to show up and a person feels fine anyway, just REAL HUNGRY and in a hurry to get home to EAT? You know how some people are so irritating when they "escape" on their own and when they are seen by the elevators the nurses have to say to them, "Wait, you need a wheelchair to go down to the lobby?" Then, you know how someone might turn with a devilish grin as they press the elevator "down" button and reply, "You're going to have to catch me!" Do you know that whole scenario? Nope, me neither.

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Congrats on a "clean" check-up!!!

Chow down...

Image result for eating clipart

• eph3_12

I think it's fabulous that you have graduated from not having to go to the mothership anymore! (you still got it!! You crack me up!)

Did you get caught?

• elimar

Eph! Don't you know by now that there are just some tales that I will neither confirm or deny?

• Dianarose

Elimar- great news🤗 . I have never had colonoscopy. My sugar gets so low that they have to put sugar in my IV before surgeries. Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

We only bake for competitions and do it in the morning with the a/c cranked.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I would have thought you'd have your driver bring you food, eph!!!!! In Canada we have to have a "mature" driver before they allow us to leave. So far I've been able to convince them my DH is mature. But I've only had 3 scopes...

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Congrats Eli! You do have a way with words - gave me a good chuckle as I pictured you running into the elevator with a devilish smile on your face. 

Lol Barbe - "mature driver" - good thing they don't have to prove there level of maturity huh? I also wonder about the "clear liquid" diet specifications. Vodka is a clear liquid is it not? Winking

• elimar

Barbe, it was I that went under the scope, needed the driver and the food.

• mbev
    mbev Member Posts: 1

I was just Dx 2 weeks ago with early stage BC. This is all new to me, but was glad to find this site. I've reached out locally for a support group but have only found Beyond Boobs in my area who informed me their members are for younger BC warriors. Just may have to form my own group for 40+. I do, however, appreciate online support, but would also really enjoy getting to meet a few local ladies to meet with and share this journey with.

You're all very encouraging and I am sending you all my warmest wishes as we power through this.

Hugs!

DX 8/24/1

Right- 1 C

ER+/PR+

HER2-

• Dianarose

Mbev.- sorry you have to join us😖. Where are you located?

• elimar

mbev, welcome! Local support groups are o.k., especially if you don't have many family members or friends in your area. But the groups only seem to meet, like, once a month. For that reason, I don't think BCO can be beat because you can connect with others on BCO 24/7. For now, you might find some interesting reading in the "Just Diagnosed" forum. You also might like to read the threads for your type of BC (ductal?, lobular?) Of course, you already made your way here and this thread has women your age with a wide variety of experiences so if we can be of help at all, just let us know.

• elimar

There's one thing that some in the medical community fail to understand and that is sometimes people in our age group (and older) just get WEARY of all the appointments, scans and labwork. It gets harder and harder to maintain a body. With BC you get a whole "team" of doctors, but it's not like any of your other docs go away. That includes dental and eyes too. More, more, more. All I know is I feel a lot better in my mind when I have a month on the calendar with no health appointments.

That being said, my annual mammo is on hold while I attend to some other concerns. I'm not saying that is wise nor am I saying it is stupid...I'm saying it's HUMAN. I can only deal with so much.

• elimar

Oh, yeah, last month I really spaced out around the time of the thread-versary (now seven years...see new icon at top.) We may not be posting quite as frequently, but I just took a look at how many times this thread has been viewed and it was well over half a million times. What?

That is so cwaaaa...zy!

• Dianarose

I know this has nothing to do with bc, but has anyone ever had H Pylori? Still waiting for test results, but that is what they are thinking. All I know is it is horrible! We dropped a sample of our well water off today to be tested. With the drought here it is possible .

El- over a half million👍 Holy Cow Batman

• barbe1958

H Pylori is known to cause stomach ulcers, no??

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338

I had ulcers/dyspepsia years ago and they did an H pylori test. Test showed a small amt and dr said not to be concerned. It's all part of a range, and if the range is higher than xxx, then they treat you. After age 40, just about everyone has SOME in their system because of what we've been exposed to over the years. Now that was the thinking 16 years ago, and could be seriously outdated as med science changes, so I don't know what the theories are these days.

Good luck!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

El, why surprised? We are entertaining old bitches Loopy

• elimar

Lol, Momine!

I don't have much knowledge of H. Pylori. I did hear of it causing ulcers but I also seem to remember that sometimes it is the reason that a person has really stubborn bad breath. Maybe I am thinking of something else.

• Dianarose

H Pylori blood test came back negative. Now being treated for ulcers with Carafate . It is helping with the pain. Have an infection in both kidneys😖. They are scheduling the biopsy of that lymph node and will have to change the tube out at the same time because of the infection. Not looking forward to it as I am awake for both.

• barbe1958

Holy cow, Dianarose! You've been through enough!!! This is the last procedure you have to endure for a long time, okay????? Gentle hugs coming your way, sweetie.

• elimar

Dianarose, Can you take Carafate with probiotics, I wonder? I always like to use probiotics when I have to go on antibiotics to lessen the g.i. side effects. Neither of those procedures sound fun. Too bad you can't "sleep" through them. Let us know when you'll be going for that, and we can definitely hop into a pocket for that.

• Dianarose

Barbe- I hope you are right. It has worn me down. No energy at all😖

El-going to ask the doc tomorrow about the probiotic. She did say it was ok to take Manuka honey. I was surprised that it tastes good.