Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951

Ok, I need to find help with this naphostomy bag!! Up at 4:30 because it leaked all in our bed!!! It leaks all the dam time. I even taped it. So long and bulky that I now have a sore on my leg

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,908

Dianarose--call your clinic and tell them you need to see the Ostomy nurse. If they don't have one that can get you in today call your local hospitals. And be sure to call whoever is managing the tube every day to say it's leaking and you need help. You should be able to see someone today for help.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Positive2strong, Glad your surgery went well! I am replying to your post. First, I mentioned the 6th month period not for 6 months of rads but just as an average time that surgery, rads, and sometimes chemo imposes itself on your life. Sometimes it's a bit shorter; sometimes it's a bit longer (I'm excluding Stage IV here) and I am not including the duration of the anti-hormonals. From DX to finishing rads was about 4 1/2 mos. for me, but I easily spent the next mo. healing from the rads, etc.

With rads, the shorter is more convenient timewise and if it was offered to me I probably would have taken it; but either way you will get roughly the same dosage. With the shorter duration your fractionated dosage will be larger. I have heard that the longer duration might be tolerated better, but I don't know. Rads is cumulative so, either way, expect some SEs. Two-thirds of women do pretty well, just getting a tolerable skinburn and some tiredness. You have fair skin---but that does not matter for rads, so don't worry about that. Good Luck with it.

Me, I had Tamoxifen for 3 years. Stopped early due to clotting risk when I had to have surgery for a different cancer and then have chemo for that cancer. After all that, I just could not bring myself to finish off theTamoxifen. As my case got more individualized, I just stepped off the customary path. My MO felt that the benefit I had gotten from 3 years of Tamox. was probably adequate in my case. I think you will have the same selection of anti-hormonal drugs, just based on the ER+ part of your pathology.

I know you posted more elsewhere, but I don;t get around to all the other threads these days so I appreciate you coming back to fill us in on your progress. Drop in whenever and let us know your rads decision. Taking the next step, moving forward, is always good.

------------------

Dianarose, Agree with NativeM that there should be an ostomy nurse for you to call and get some assistance. I actually got the business card of an ostomy nurse on hospital staff, when I wore my ileostomy pouch, in case I encountered trouble. I am so sorry it has been such a struggle for you to get the help you need.

Lita57, Those cannot be the actual trains used on the t.v. show, or can they be? Looks fun! Btw, that red lipstick was just made for you.

• elimar

Yes, Momine, the BC saga is like the "old school" fairy tales, I mean those grisly ones! You painted a realistic picture of what goes on and used no pink in it at all.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Eli, thanks for reading

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338

Elimar: No, those aren't the REAL Thomas trains that they film on TV....but, shhh, don't tell the children that! And thank you for the complement - I usually wear an off-red shade of lipstick, with more rusty/brick red tones. A true blood-red doesn't look that good on me.

Positive2Strong: I had 10 sessions of 300 rads (total of 3,000) on my mid spine, T3 vertebrae to shrink that tumor down. SEs weren't too bad. I did have the swallowing issue because the beam goes thru the esophagus. That soreness lasted maybe a week or two. Didn't show up until I was just about thru w/rads. Fatigue wasn't bad at all, but as Elimar said, rads ARE cumulative. I know some people who've had to go every day (not weekends) for six or seven weeks. They got VERY tired.

Lita

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

I was Mon-Fri for 6 weeks total I think. I actually felt better energy wise through rads because I was recovering from the fatigue and side effects of the chemo and as those dissappated, I was still doing rads and was feeling better. I got a pretty gnarly burn by the end of it, and have some scarring because of it, but hey, no one but my doctors have seen me shirtless since before the whole cancer thing, so it doesn't much matter! I then did 5 yrs of Femara/Letrozole-glad it's over, but all in all, the whole experience was crappy, but do-able and I am extremely glad it's over!!!

• Dianarose

success 😆 Found the interventional radiology nurse I had fr both tubes. She went and found the right bag and tube and changed them both. She also changed my dressing 👍 No charge either. Bonus❤️.

Talked to oncologist and start chemo on Tuesday. She said I will probably feel better on chemo then I have the past 5 months. There is a lot of cancer but she is upbeat and says we have a lot of choices. What a difference she is from the old oncologist

• eph3_12

YAYAYAYAYAYA-that sounds GREAT!

• elimar

Dianarose, about time! I'm still astounded that they didn't have the supplies at the biopsy. Now, which chemo will you be starting?

-------------------------------

Many times, I have used groups of women in the top picture, tho' usually I try to find Mid-Age ones. Some might have noticed the ones up there now look too young to represent this thread, so what was I thinking? Well, you Middies have disappointed me. That photo has been up for two days now and even with BC going on in your life, I would have thought that someone would have noticed how creepy and spooky it was. That's what I was going for anyway, but apparently no one has really looked at it. Happy Halloween hauntings!

• Dianarose

Just found out she is putting me on 3 kinds of chemo and it will take 8 hours. God help me 🙏

• MameMe
    MameMe Member Posts: 215

Pocket time, ladies: Visualize a swarm of protective, fierce BCO'rs milling about Dianarose with blankets, foot massages, iced drinks with umbrellas in them, and some really good jokes. Of course, we would all be the size of Thumbellina so that we could dive headfirst into her bag when the staff showed up.

I, too, would like to know what they are giving you, when you get it figured out. So hope they have good drugs for side effects. Hugs, Mam

• eph3_12

E, I noticed the picture but just thought it was from "Sister Wives" or something ;) I always love your toppers!!!

• Dianarose

El- I do eat some cheese ballsfor the sake of crunchy. I chew them then it it melt and dissolve in my mouth. So yum

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I'm in for the pocket party. Diana rose it is now your job to get chemo ànd you must put in a full days' work! We will help you.

E, when I go to this thread it takes me to the last post so I never see the topper...

• nativemainer

Momine--love the Fairy Tale site!

Dianarose--Praying your new Onc is correct, and you get the right chemo on the first try. Or the right combination.8 hours, wow.

I'm set so I go to the last unread post, so I don't see the topper until I have to turn a page.I have to remember to stop and check the topper here more regularly.IT is an eerie pic!

• elimar

Eph, Barbe, NM, and everyone else...I did my best to find the most spine-chilling pic that I could. You still have not looked closely enough.

• barbe1958

I got nothing!!! Except for some dangly things that my phone won't define...

• eph3_12

who's hand is that? EEEEEEK! And what ARE those dangly things????????????????

• nativemainer

EEEEEEEEKKKK, I see the hand now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Made me jump. Litterally jump!

• elimar

Hahaha! Forget the "dangly things." They are just belts with probably a tool needed for linen work back in 1900 Ireland. The claim is that the photo up at the top is not retouched, but to my eye there should be another standing in back, on the right, for symmetry. So, I looked further and that photo must have come from this photo...but now things just got SPOOKIER.

Happy Halloween Hauntings, my BC Sisters.

• barbe1958

Oh what hand? Y'all are yanking us...

• barbe1958

Okay, went to my laptop and I see it. Looks like something/one was Photoshopped out!

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

EWWWWWWWW!!!!!! THERE"S SOMETHING GRABBING HER FOOT, TOO!!!!!!!

But the whole last row is missing on the second one.

Good one elimar. it looks like those ladies have oyster knives dangling from their dresses too, thats creepy enough

• Lita57

I think the Addams Family's "Thing" showed up for the photo shoot....or could it be "Lady Fingers", Thing's girlfriend? The hand looks too feminine to be a man's.

Lita

• elimar

Now you're getting into the SPIRIT!

Sorry, Lita57, but Lady Fingers was a left hand.

• Lita57

Great picture of Thing and Lady Fingers! You're right, she was left handed. I really miss that show. The movie with Raul Julia was ok, but John Astin nailed Gomez Addams on the show. And who can forget my favorite: Cousin Itt.

Bye for now Cara Mia,

Lita

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Native, thanks so much. Feel free to share.

Diana, definitely in your pocketfor the 8-hour chemo session

• Dianarose

My Her2 came back inconclusive so they are doing it again😬. Was negative first two rounds but as we all know this can change. I pray it is still negative. Surgeon told us yesterday when she went in my tummy it didn't take long because she could see the cancer. Said it looked like little whit barnacles you see on the rocks at the beach. Yet they don't show up on the scans. Dam lobular!

Chemo starts Wednesday so hubby will be shaving my head soon. I have a few wigs this time now need to find someone who knows how to glue those individual eye lashes on.

Hope everyone has a great weekend