MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    me too, i wanna be BOTH your valantines!!   since i didn't have rads, and was terrified of them, no comments THERE!
  • leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY EVERYONE........

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336
      HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE
  • annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

Dawney...we will all be right in there with you ...hahaha now there is a visual that should crack you up while you are getting your biopsy...all of crowded around cheering you on...

Lynniea...it just *happens* post to your heart's content

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY TO ALL OF YOU SWEETHEARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,898
    Jo-I missed that you had tried the AIs. I guess I was thinking the question was why AIs over tamoxifen. Not tracking really well mentally yesterday, I guess! Can I blame it on AI brain? It's amazing how small the differences between treatments are that determine the "best."

Annettek-isn't it amazing how medicine has decided that smoking = unhealthy, just like they assume overweight/obese = unhealthy. I am obese and regularly "beat" the test scores for all sorts of measures of physical status. The flip side is true, too-some people who never smoked and were not exposed to second hand smoke get lung cancer.

Dawney-here's praying for a B9 result. I can imagine you are worried, how can we not be after all we've been through?

• annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160

you are right NM...but i have noticed a small thing that convinces more than a chest xray/ct scan show "minor emphysematic changes...: did...for the first time this past year when I reach the top of the steps I am breathing a little heavy...ACK...that I do not like. Made me feel old and scared my pants off...that is why i decided i wanted to do this right BEFORE the BC diagnosis...

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Hugs and holding your hand today, Dawney!!

• CarylC
    CarylC Member Posts: 30

Good morning, Ladies.  I'm almost 52 so right in the middle, kids are 21, 23 and 25 and pretty much self sufficient and I was really enjoying  my time riding my motorcycle and traveling with my girlfriends and then this.

Oldest daughter was supposed to be moving to Nicaragua couple days after dx, she put her plans on hold - which makes me feel horribly guilty!  Younger daughter is applying to law school and stressed about that, son won't even discuss breast cancer let alone Mom's!  On top of it all, my dad was just dx'd with small cell lung cancer.  

Calgon - take me away :-) 

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Welcome but this is not the best place to belong to.  Put I just started myself and found it a great place to vent.  I also have a daughter in college and dosn't say much.  So just remember we are all here for you.

• ReginaR
    ReginaR Member Posts: 97
    nson
    Diagnosis: 12/16/2009, DCIS, 5cm, Grade 3, 0/6 nodes
  • ReginaR
    ReginaR Member Posts: 97
  • jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

lynniea - Congrats on making 50 posts - now you can post whenever you want.

TO ALL MY MIDDIE FRIENDS 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503

Cary I know what you mean.  My kids are grown and my parents and my inlaws are both elderly.  My dad had lung cancer in both lungs three years ago and had it removed with surgery and no additional treatment was early stage.  It has now come back and I am waiting for the Onco to call me with the biopsy results.  All four of the older people in my life need help as they can no longer navigate the medical system by themselves.  They get confused and can't remember all the things the Dr's tell them.  I have a hard time keeping up with my own medical issues and I have the four of them.  At least it seems with the four of them the major things comes in waves so I can deal with one major thing at a time.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885
                           Eating hot cheetos, Happy Valentines day Pictures, Images and Photos
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Sherry, my Dad got lung cancer at 70 and had only part of his lung removed (right one, so it's easier) and chemo and rads. His spread of course, and he died in his 72nd year. Hate to be blunt, but the point was if he'd gotten the right lung taken out he'd still be alive! He thought he would "need" it. I am STILL angry at him! What the heck! At least he'd be alive with one lung, rather than dead with 1 1/2.....sigh. Yell He has missed the birth of my 2 grandsons with a 3rd to come in a month.
  • Sherryc

barb I am still not sure why they did not do chemo or rads the first time around he had one cancer on the left side and they removed a lob. He then got a different lung cancer on the right side 6 months later and had one lob removed.  That was three years ago and I was not all that up on cancer at the time.  His PCP and surgeion never sent him to an ONCO .Now I know more and I really question why they did not do something more at the time. But we have what we have to deal with now.  So I am waiting.  I really hope to hear from the onco today so that we will know what course of treatment is going to be had. He is 72 and not in good health.

• barbe1958

Sherry, the docs did him a favour!! If he went 3 years without chemo or rads, he can do that now IF he wants to. My Dad suffered so much that at the end he said that if he knew he was going to die anyway, then he wouldn't have wanted to be miserable for the 2 1/2 years it took for surgery, chemo and rads...sigh. Your Dad can have more surgery too. My Dad's fear was only of pain, not of dying. We talked quite openly about dying, but I never questioned him about why he didn't get his whole lung removed. I asked my stepmother years later as it was bugging me.

• Sherryc

I do know that they will start with radiation.  But after the test we will know if it will be radiating for pain management which he is having alot of pain or if it will be to get rid of it.  As it is in his ribs now not in his lungs. The RO said probably will need to have chemo later but rads first.  He will do fine with rads, but when it comes to the chemo I don't know how he will fair. But his attitude now is to do what he needs to do.  He does not seem to be all that afraid.  I think he was more afraid about me than he is for himself.  I just finished rads three weeks ago and with early stage I know that I will be fine, but I think my parents think I am not telling them everything because they keep asking me if I am going to be OK or if I am going to have to keep dealing with BC.  Since I have the same RO as my Dad I guess I will have to have him talk to my parents and assure them I will be fine.

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Lynn - A coworker went through chemo prior to surgery to srink her tumor and it went very well.  The wait is the worse part but worth it in the end.  Keep a good dialogue with your Drs, ask lots of questions and make sure you get answers.

• elimar

"isn't it amazing how medicine has decided that smoking = unhealthy"

NativeMainer!  I have to counter you there.  I think it is quite a sensible medical observation, in fact.  What IS amazing is the amount of money thrown around by "Big Tobacco" to make it seem acceptable, cool, attractive, and almost a right of passage to growing up; something that will get you a sports car and not lung cancer. 

If someone does smoke, and still is able to enjoy good health, wonderful.  Tick, tick, tick. 

I'm all for personal freedoms, and I've heard the pro argument from militant smokers for many years.  I still hate lung cancer EVEN MORE than breast cancer, because it kills more!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

To all my middie buddies!  Happy VD!

• barbe1958

Sherry, if it's back in his bones, that may be easier to control.... I wonder.

Joni, I love you too!!!!!

Ah heck!! I love y'all !!!!!!!!!!!!

• prayrv
    prayrv Member Posts: 362

OMG  I thought VD meant venereal disease (almost forgot it was Valentine's Day!!)

LOLOL!!!

• leisaparis
    leisaparis Member Posts: 326

We love you too......

• Sherryc

prayrv that is too funny!!!!!!!!!!!!

• elimar
    I'M GOING TO APOLOGIZE IN ADVANCE...
  • barbe1958

This should be good!

• elimar

• SHAZBERNJESS
    SHAZBERNJESS Member Posts: 7

HI I WENT TODAY TO SEE THE CONSULTANT,I WAS SO NERVEOUS,BUT SHE WAS SO NICE AND SAID SHE FELT IT WOULD BE BEST TO DO A HYSTEROSCOPY UNDER GENERAL ANAESTHESIA,JUST TO MAKE CERTAIN,I AM HAVEING IT IN 3 WEEKS,I FEEL A LOT BETTER TALKING TO HER.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

ELI!!! Hysterical!!