Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jo1955
    jo1955 Member Posts: 7,545

mjbmiller - DOING THE HAPPY DANCE WITH YOU!

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392

So much news! Hope everyone is enjoying the warmer weather. Love ya all and miss you too.

Pink Hugs 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Good to see you, PM!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

mjbmiller, Yay!  You made it through rads.  Morre happy dancing...

happy dance Pictures, Images and Photos

• elimar

That cow's udder does not look right!  Well, don't they radiate our milk now?  Eeeek!

• Meece

Maybe she should be doing SBEs.

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

{{{PAULDINGMOM}}}} Bigs hugs to you!

Doing the happy dance mjb!!!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

E-cow's same color as you!

• jo1955

Maybe they are dance partners and wanted to dress alike?

• marlegal
    marlegal Member Posts: 1,482

Jo, soo glad to read your news of visit with lung dr ... score one for our side :)

Sandee, you are 100% entitled to feel any way you want about anything to do with BC. It is an extremely personal thing with each of us. During the first year after my dx, I wanted no pink on my behalf, no runs, no names on shirts, and I didn't participate in any public events.  After that first year though, I found that little by little I was really touched when someone would wear my name on their back, and I wanted to do our local run, and I got involved with some BCO activities.  But that's me, and it was in my own sweet time. If you can find a way to get word to those you think might crowd your space, I say by all means let them know.

Heart and Jo, I graduated in 73 too!!

Meece, scrum for sure - that sucks :(

• jo1955

1973 was a very good year.  It was also the year I got married and have been with the same DH for 37 years.

• Meece

I was in the fourth grade that year.  Can't think of anything more memorable than that.

• JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Happy Dance for MJB

Jean
  • JeanH
    JeanH Member Posts: 132

Lynnia, Enjoy your trip to Maine, so glad the support group helped.

Well ladies the head is starting to tingle, I guess that means I start to go bald this weekend. Sooo... cramps, chemo and going bald, all this and more this weekend. Am I a girl who knows how to have fun r what :)

{{{Hugs to all}}}

Jean

• Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781

Thanks for all the feedback ladies. Marlegal....yeah, I suspect I too will do a run in a year or so.....I am actually seriously considering getting another small tattoo...pink ribbon in fact, when I get my 6 month mammogram in June...hopefully a celebratory tattoo...but it will be somewhere I choose...whether hidden or out in the open for all to see....June is my goal....I can get to June...

I will likely be voluneering for the BCANS (breast cancer association of nova scotia) in some capacity int he near future...but again, it will be with people I choose to talk to about it...I know I will come around to being an advocate and a voic ein some way because that is who I am about everything...but I need to 6month marker to be clear first...I need to know I am cancer free....and until I know (being that I had 'lobular features and therefore there is a 50% chance of it hanging out in the other breast as we speak)...well, I just don't want it out there....

perhaps if I didn't work with 150 foreign students who concdier me their home away from home mom....just don't want that....

Lyniea...so glad you went to the support group. it can certainly help....yay you!!

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

Thanks everyone

Eli - cow is hanging a bit low but we all have our own problems too

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Interesting - I would agree that while I don't necessarily keep the breast cancer diagnosis a secret, I do prefer that the information comes from ME. I had a friend who was diagnosed the year before I was, and she came right out and told us. She was an amazing resource for me when I was diagnosed, and I always think it would be a good thing if I got to do that for someone someday. But being in a small town environment or having lots of people share an embellished version of your story would be very irritating. As it is, I'm sure people are checking out my breasts... Someone also commented on my hair about six months after my diagnosis - I didn't have chemo, and it was past shoulder length, so it was bizarre that she thought it was new hair. I suppose perhaps she thought it was a bad wig - I do like me some hair spray...

LOVE the picture, Elimar! :)

• Sandeeonherown

Kleenex...yes that is it ...I want ME to tell people when I want to tell them...know I can't stop the rumour rain etc but...well....for example, we are going on a school campin gtrip this weekend and because of my back I am not supposed to cross country ski , or skate or snowshoe( CRAP!!) so I said ' well, I will just have to sit by the fire and read...oh well!" . someone added ' and drink hot chocolae with lots of baileys' to which I responded without thinking "nope..not supposed to drink alcohol because of the breast cancer '....since it was with work people who all know, they went 'ok yeah  I guess' but I realize that when I do talk about BC....I talk about it very matter-of-factly...no real "I am terrified every day" emotion at all...just wouldn't do at work , you know?....and really ....no one who is not going through it really wants to hear about it because if I am talking to them, it is because they are my friend...and it scares the crap out of them....so...thank god for this discussion board!

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336

Thanks all I decided to go see my sis, cousin and niece since when I start treatment I wont be going to far from home.  I am sitting here with my new quilt the support group gave me.  It keeps me warm and reminds me of the people who where there. 

• jo1955

I, too like to be the one to talk about ME.  When I was first diagnosed, my assistant manager was telling the residents all about me and that pissed me off big time.  She was giving out the wrong information and besides it was not her place to do that.  I told her in no uncertain terms to keep her mouth shut and if anyone wanted information they needed to come ask me.  I decide what people know and don't know.  I will get off my soapbox now - sorry to rant & rave about this but the issue still makes me angry.  

• walker2222
    walker2222 Member Posts: 442

I am open to tell my story to other people, but it is My story to tell.

• jo1955
    mjb - You hit the naill on the head - I could not have said it better.
  • Sandeeonherown

and yes....I think that is it...if I want to tell my story, I will...then feel free to ask me questions or ask how I am later...it means you are part of the circle of people I trust to know....and I ambranching out a bit...telling people who genuinely care abou tme but whom I do not see often...but it is MINE right now....as mentioned earlier....I am sure I will let go of it with time but right now....7 months in....nope...still mine.

• elimar

I think my Dx seemed so unreal to me in the beginning, I needed to tell people I was barely acquainted with (like my regular grocery store clerk) just so it could sink in for me.  I would have freaked out,  though, if someone I had not told myself brough it up or made a comment to me.  Luckily that did not happen.

Kleenex, I kind of like the wayward looking lady, second from left, in the "Welcome" photo.  I realize I am probably the only old movie buff here who thinks she might be a character from the classic, "The Snake Pit."

They just don't make insane asylum movies like they used to.  Just throwing in some late night randomness.

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110

Hey, Jo, I was also married in 1973. Will celebrate 38 yrs in May. Wink

mjb ~ Ya-Hoo! Congrats on finishing rads!! Cool

(((((Lisa ~ great to see you, sister!)))))

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    BARBE..IM SO SORRY, YOU CAN SEEHOW MUCH YOU MISS HIM {{{{HUGS}}}}}}3JAYS
  • barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548

Well, I was high school class of 68. Man that's a long time ago!! Wow! A lotta water over that dam!

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    Quick!!  Get some Preparation H for that Cow!!!  Surprised
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I had to tell the guys I worked with as I was going to be coming back to work flat. They kind of didn't even believe me! Then around the corner was the support team of about 30 people, mixed male/female. I didn't tell them as I knew the news would travel and I wanted it that way. I didn't want to have to explain to everyone so I was glad as I only had 5 days before surgery. Only one manager (female) from the other side came up to me and said "I have to tell you, we are all blown away with how calm you are with all this." I knew she was sincere, so I said "I have a very strong God holding me up." She started to cry and fled.

Then when I came back, everyone flooded around me. It was wonderful! Except the hugs hurt SO much and I didn't have the heart to tell anyone!!!

• JeanneR
    JeanneR Member Posts: 38

LOL fmakj...That is toooo funny!!!