MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Faithandfifty, if indomitable spirits were enough to kick cancer's butt, you'd never have to give it a second thought ever again.  You have extended wishes for strength and courage to so many, so now I say right back atcha!   I'll be thinking of you all day tomorrow and waiting right along with you for a favorable result. 

Meece, the ripples of sadness washed over you today.  So sorry. 

• sheila888
    sheila888 Member Posts: 9,611

Best wishes to all my friends

Sheila♥

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Faith, I hope you saw the prayer I posted for you 15 hours ago praying for calm! It's on Saint's thread... interesting that is what you need. You will have it. Innocent
  • Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    New Year Graphics
  • nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

meg8000--welcome!  Sorry you've had to join this club, but you are welcome none-the-less.  Congrrats on reaching the halfway mark of chemo! 

faith and meece, I'm thinking of you today.  Hard way to start a new year.  

Happy and Peace-full New Year to all!  

• elimar

Thanks for coming to this thread with those New Year's graphics.  Now we look festive and ready to party!  Since I used my "pretty" graphic at the top, for the rare "blue moon" we are having tonight, I'll have to use this one in my post...

New year, Happy New Year, Animated Gifs, Animated Graphics, Keefers Pictures, Images and Photos   

For those of us who got the Dx in 2009, and all that came with it, this has been a pretty crappy year.  What better to wipe away all the cancer crap than with a pristine roll.  Let the old year pass, tear off a few sheets and start fresh in 2010.  Happy New Year!

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957

Happy New Year to you too Native Mainer!  Wishing everyone else here a happy new year also.Smile

Pat

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957

Elimar................... love your tissue.....good one!

Pat

Happy New Year!

• navymom
    navymom Member Posts: 842

Faith and Meece........Hugs to you both.  I can't seem to find the right words to say.  Just know that there are so many women here thinking about you and sending love and support.

Elimar.......love the T.P. 

Navy

• Meece

Very clever, Elimar.

• queenlurker
    queenlurker Member Posts: 34

Happy New Year to all!  Perhaps a new bag of cheetos is in order.  Wondering what Elimar will come out with next-

Faith, thinking of you for a neg biopsy.

• elimar

Queen, you know I'll have a family-sized Cheetos on hand for tonight.  But wonder not where my mind will go next..instead wonder WWCD?

cheetos jesus Pictures, Images and Photos

It looks like a poster, plus the CNN logo is on this so it must have been news at some point, so don't get onto me for throwing in some year-end blasphemy.  If Jesus could appear on a Taco, why not a Cheeto?

• elimar

The more I look, I'm thinking it could actually be Carole King (Tapestry era,) but who at CNN would have as keen an eye as I for Cheetos?  Now we have to start spotting celebrities in the "Crunchy" bags.  Let me know if you find any.

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Nice to meet you Meg and I hope you will have a good year, actually wishing that for each and everyone of us.

I have been home with family and friends this Holiday season and it has been wonderful. My family except for DD think that I should not come to the message boards because I seem to "sad" and that I cry to easily. Hmmm, I told my Mom that no one else can understand what it is like to have had cancer other than those who have also been diagnoised. I made the analogy that no one can understand what it feels like to be 80 unless they are there too!

New Year Ideas (no resolutions for me)

" To live as much in the present as I possibly can"

Praying for Faith today.

Linda

• queenlurker
    queenlurker Member Posts: 34

Hhmmm..... Thought I was on the memories thread for a moment, you've got a friend could be our motto.  Wishing the best to all of you in 2010-any big plans anyone?  Think I'll stick to tradition.

• gcarter
    gcarter Member Posts: 53

To all my new friends...I am feeling more like myself these days...finally. Here is something I want to share....

2009 brought compassion from all who cared. It started a journey that should'nt be shared. Lucky for me I have such great friends. They were there at the beginning and up to the end.Being grateful and humbled in something I have learned. Becoming a survivor is something I've earned. I couldn't have done it without all of you. Paying it forward is what I will do. I have angels in heaven and angels on earth. I can't put a value on what that is worth. All my prayers were answered from up above. I could'nt have done it without all the love. I can't wait to get going and back to the norm. I've weathered the worst, I got through the storm. Somethings are better if they are left behind. That's how I feel about 2009.
    Cheers to all. Be safe. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653

Thanks for sharing gcarter, it is beautiful.  Wishing everyone a Happy New Year and we all want 2010 to be better than 2009.

Sending love to all my new friends.

Juannelle

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Middies holding one another up

xx00xx00xx00xx00xx00xx

• sheila888
  • eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

HAPPY NEW YEAR MIDDIES!  Let's make sure that 2009 is long gone with all the pain, tears, heartache, fear and loss it's caused us all!  Welcome 2010!  Joni

Faith, big hug!

• carollynn79
    carollynn79 Member Posts: 331

Hello to all, have not been on much just busy with work, family, holidays.  I am feeling much stronger but still really tired after work.  Hope all have a Happy Healthy, Prosperous 2010.  We have all met thru this terrible disease.  May we continue to hold each other up thru our good and bad moments.  May we all grow stronger in mind, body and spirit as we continue our journey.  No cheetos today but really enjoyed my homemade pizza, salad and wine last night as we said goodbye to 2009 and look forward to a 2010 that has a lot fewer health challenges!!!!  We are going to take the tree down relax, make BBQ Pork and saurkraut, read somewhere you are supposed to have pork and saurkraut on New Years, must be a German thing!!!  Will add a botle of Currant Wine and away we go!!!!   HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!

• Meece

Faithy, I hope you are feeling well today.  I pray that you receive God's peace as you await the biopsy results.  When you feel fear creeping in, seek Him and receive rest. 

• Meece
    new year funny
  • kittygriffin
    kittygriffin Member Posts: 6

Hi.. Im 41 and was diagnosed with breast cancer on Dec 30 2009.Im still in shock. I dont know anyone who has had cancer or what to think,feel or do. i found this site last night and started reading. It already has helped with things i hadnt thought of like dont let the general surgeon do the lumpectomy and something to check the lymph nodes.Really not sure. Im glad i found this site. I am really scared and confused. I dont know much about my cancer yet. I go back to the surgeon that did my biopsy monday.Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please have me in your prayers.I dont want to talk to my husband or kids about this. I think they are in shock too.I dont want to scare them as bad as i am. Im curious about when i should get a pathology report or whatever is needed to know how serious my cancer is. I just thought okay you got breast cancer,but after reading i found theres so many different types and effects.Im truley overwhelmed.I dont know where to start. My mind feels fogged and i just want to get ahold of this.Should the surgeon that told me i have b/c already know what im dealing with? Is he just giving me time to accept and then tell me or are there more test i should do before doing a lumpectomy? Somebody help please!!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

kitty-sorry! BC is overwhelming.  You appt on Monday will shed some light and that doc will be able to tell you what is known so far.  Your treatment options will probably be offered.  I was in a fog in April when I got dx'd-I didn't know the particulars of my cancer until after the lumpectomy and the tumor & lymph nodes were analyzed.  Yes, I think most of us thought BC was BC initially, but of course that's not true.  Stay connected here-these ladies have tons of wisdom to impart, laughs to help you through the hard times and friendship no matter how your hair looks!!! Joni

• sheila888

Hi Kitty...Sorry about your news, this is how it goes after you have your lumpectomy you wait for your pathology report. The surgeon will tell you the size and the type of your cancer and you see an oncologist where he orders all different tests.

For now just concentrate about your lumpectomy. One step one day at a time.

I also had a lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy during the surgery.

I know you are in a very difficult place right now. But things get better when you get all your schedules.

Good Luck to you .

Sheila

• desdemona222b
    desdemona222b Member Posts: 90

Happy New Year, ladies!  Here's hoping 2010 is a much better year!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Hello, Kitty--We all know how overwhelming a place you are in right now, we've all been there.  My word of advice is to ask for copies of everything--pathology reports, operatiove reports, office notes, everything.  Start a binder.  You'll want to refer back to that information as you go through this little journey.  Take someone with you to appointments, or audiotape them, or both.  And keep coming back here with your questions and for emotional support.  Be sure to come back after your appoitnment Monday, we'll help you understand the info you get.  In the meantime, drop in here anytime for company and support. 

• elimar

Hello all, Happy New Year! 

A warm welcome to kittygriffin.  So sorry you have to ring in the new year with your head spinning over a a breast cancer diagnosis (Dx.)  Yes, you will come to learn all the abbreviations before long.  The biopsy is a preliminary report, so sometimes the pathology after having surgery differs from it and sometimes it does not.  If your doctor has not yet told you the type, be sure to ask so you know what you are dealing with.  Look up in the pink header on this page and you will see the pull-down menu that says "Jump to a Forum."  In there, you will see there are forums divided up by the type of cancer, and once you know, you can find threads that will have lots of info. about your exact type.  Besides surgically getting that cancer out of you, the three main therapies are chemo (doctor will advise if needed,) radiation (you mentioned lumpectomy, and if you have an invasive type of cancer radiation usually follows a lumpectomy,) and hormonal therapy (you get info. from the path. report as to whether this will benefit you.)  I used this site a LOT and also Google.  I am sure that I worsened my middle-aged eyesight with all the online reading I did in the first month, but I came away with a lot of knowledge.  Most of us had friends and family who just did not know how to process or react to B/C, but this is an online community of women who DO understand you.  You are not alone.

NativeMainer, I noticed a giant German Shepherd gobbled up your lighthouse when no one was looking.

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Kitty - So sorry you had to wrap up 2009 in such a shocking way, but I'm happy for you that you found bc.org so quickly. There are some good books out there you may want to look into. If you're like me, you didn't think about breast cancer at all prior to this diagnosis. My favorite - but it's thick and too academic for some people - is Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book. It's usually at the library. The other book that was good that's a little easier to read is The Breast Cancer Survival Manual, by John LInk, MD. And a third that I really liked which was written by a doctor who got cancer herself is Living Through Breast Cancer, by Carolyn M. Kaelin MD. I found it helpful to do some reading - there are many gray areas in breast cancer treatment, and when you come upon something where it appears you have a "choice,'" it's nice to have an idea of what the doctor is talking about. Whatever you choose to read, make sure it contains the most current information possible - look for very recent publication or revision dates. Even as recently as five years ago, things were done differently in some cases.

DEFINITELY take someone with you to the doctor's appointment, as suggested above! Sometimes a word will be said and your brain will just shut down and not catch any of the rest of the information. The "mind fog" is a big pain in the butt - I think it's our brain trying to protect us, but it's not useful when you have to understand and make decisions.

We will be thinking about you!

Coleen