MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653

I took my Ambien about 10:00 last night, probably dozed for a short while, until DH woke me up when he came to bed.  Finally got up and watched TV until 1:00.  Went back to bed and slept until 9:00.  So I guess it worked, I just thought it was suppose to make you go to sleep right away.  This is the first sleep aid that I have ever tried and I will not be able to take it when I am working, there just isn't enough time.  I feel refreshed today, so I guess staying up until  1:00 didn't hurt me, since I could sleep late.

Juannelle

• desdemona222b
    desdemona222b Member Posts: 90

I have primary sleep disorder and PTSD.  I've been taking Trazadone for about 20 years - it works quite well.  Ambien is a short-acting sleep medication - it makes you fall asleep, but if you have problems waking after a few hours, it doesn't help much.  It's also bad for the respiratory system - I have respiratory disease and found I was having a great deal of trouble breathing while taking it.

My psychiatrist told me that lack of sleep profoundly affects one's ability to cope with stress and it also affects the immune system.   

• Kleenex
    Kleenex Member Posts: 310

Found this by doing a search on "melatonin and Tamoxifen." It's from the University of Maryland Medical Center. While there, I also learned that Xanax (flight risk med) and Ativan (new prescrip when I mentioned that I was sometimes using the Xanax as a sleep aid) can be habit-forming. I only take it a couple of times a month, so I'm not at risk yet, but THAT was interesting to find out. 

Breast Cancer

Several studies indicate that melatonin levels may be linked with breast cancer risk. For example, women with breast cancer tend to have lower levels of melatonin than those without the disease. In addition, laboratory experiments have found that low levels of melatonin stimulate the growth of certain types of breast cancer cells, while adding melatonin to these cells inhibits their growth. Preliminary laboratory and clinical evidence also suggests that melatonin may enhance the effects of some chemotherapy drugs used to treat breast cancer. In a study that included a small number of women with breast cancer, melatonin (administered 7 days before beginning chemotherapy) prevented the lowering of platelets in the blood. This is a common complication of chemotherapy, known as thrombocytopenia that can lead to bleeding.

In another study of a small group of women whose breast cancer was not improving with tamoxifen (a commonly used chemotherapy medication), adding melatonin caused tumors to modestly shrink in over 28% of the women. People with breast cancer who are considering taking melatonin supplements should consult their doctors before beginning supplementation."

The whole article:

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/melatonin-000315.htm

The other thing I wanted to add is that there are other helpful "sleep hygiene" things you can do that really help. These are from Dr. Oz and others. You're not supposed to watch TV for about an hour before you go to bed - all of the flashing lights can stimulate brain activity (even though it "seems" like the TV is making you drowsy). You should limit lights in your bedroom so if you do become slightly wakeful, you don't wake all the way up. If you are sensitive to caffeine, you're supposed to avoid having any in the afternoon, because it can lurk in your system for up to 10 or 12 hours. You're supposed to avoid eating within three hours of bedtime as well.

I don't manage to protect my sleep hygiene very well, but I can say that if I have a late dinner with a dark chocolate chaser and watch the news and Nightline before turning off the lights, I'm apt to spend a lot of time enjoying waves of hot flashes and staring at my husband's Vegas-bright alarm clock...

As "middles," we're kinda of stuck with some of our distractions, like snoring husbands and creeping teenagers. My youngest daughter will sleep-walk when she's having a growth spurt. I'll suddenly notice her standing next to my bed at midnight. Scares me to death. On the good side, she usually says or does something funny that we can enjoy the next day. One night she leaned in and whispered to me, "Some of the people in my room are not sleeping." She's the only person in her room. Another time, she'd dragged a big box down into our bedroom. When asked why she had the box, she said in an irritated way, "It's for points." The next morning, she said to me, "Why is this big box in my room?"

Sometimes it seems that I've been struggling to get adequate sleep since I gave birth 14 1/2 years ago...

Coleen

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I use Imovane when I really need to sleep. I will wake up EXACTLY 8 hours after taking it so I know I can take it at the last minute. I wake alert as well. Some people hate the little blue oval pill because it has an awful taste. They obviously aren't as sleep deprived as those of us who don't care what it tastes like, it works! It is non-habit forming.

Using my ear plugs has made a kind of sanctuary for me. When they are in I don't hear dogs barking, phones or outside noises...as well as my DH's snoring. When I can still hear him with them in, I feel totally justified in smacking him. Like come ON! The plugs are like a ritual, a signal to my brain to sleep. My paperback book and my fleece throw and my clip-on light that reflects off the wall and not my page makes for a very nest-like feeling.

With Fibromyalgia I am in more pain if I don't get 8-12 hours a NIGHT. Sometimes on my days off I will sleep 14-16 hours. I know, I know, you'll all say that's horrid, but look up Fibromyalgia!

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

It's interesting the interview I did yesterday for a documentary was all about this, night shift work and cancer link.

It was an odd experience, I am used to ASKING the questions.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

I'm going to look up Imovane.  I have not heard of that one.  Meanwhile, it sounds as though I should get back on the Melatonin, and it could be that I did not use it regularly enough to get over the morning drowsiness.  It's worth another try.  Thanks, for the info.

Here is a little overview I found about sleep, with links to sleep specifics at the bottom:

http://helpguide.org/life/sleeping.htm

• elimar
    Barbe, we cannot get that in the U.S.!  The closest we have would be the drug Lunesta.
  • Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

I bought a big bottle of meletonin when I went on chemo.  I still have half the bottle left.  Guess it's time to throw it out.  I took Sonata for awhile but it is only to get you to go to sleep.  That, and my insurance sent out a letter to tell me that they would no long cover sleep aids.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Elimar, does Lunesta compare active ingredient to active ingredient?

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,902

Here's what I found on Imovane:

"Zopiclone, (brand name Imovane in Canada, and Zimovane in the UK) is a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic agent used in the treatment of insomnia. In the United States, zopiclone is not commercially available[1], although its active stereoisomer, eszopiclone, is sold under the names Lunesta (see History). Zopiclone is a controlled substance in the United States, Canada, Japan, Brazil and some European countries, and may be illegal to possess without a prescription."

This is from Wikipedia

edited for spelling

• elimar
    Meece, Why are you throwing away your Melatonin?  Or do you mean that it's an OLD bottle now?  Kleenex's article says that B/C was linked to it--but the link is that women with B/C seem to have LOWER than average melatonin levels.  So, low level might mean more at risk for B/C--although the way it has been studied so far cannot yet make a cause and effect statement, so it is just called a "link" so far.  This would make it similar to what they are discovering about Vitimin D.  Maybe we need to up our levels of both?
  • elimar
    Speaking of insurance not covering things.  My insurance will not cover the CYP2D6 test, but my doctor's office is pursuing it individually with my insurance at my request.  My insurance did cover Oncotype Dx, so they don't rule out all gene testing  [I'm just revisiting this subject because several pages ago I mentioned that I wanted to request this test, the Vit. D test, and the bone density test.  So, I AM getting the bone density in a couple weks, but will put of the Vit. D until I know if I can get CYP2D6 at the same time or not.]  CYP2D6, I was told would be $450 out of pocket, if I have to pay myself.  My doctor's lab does not test it.  They send the blood out to Mayo Clinic
  • elimar

One more factoid as of late.  I had been going to a few PT sessions for chest and arm tightness after rads.  I asks the PT if I could get ultrasound on the area, since I heard it breaks up scar tissue.  They did NOT think it was a good idea because ultrasound has a deep heating effect that increases blood flow and ups the metabolism of cells and is contra-indicated in cancer patients. 

Well, here I am thinking that my cancer is OUT, and I am no longer a person WITH cancer, so give me some of that ultrasound therapy; but, you know, I guess it's the same story why we take the Tamox. or AIs -- just in case something did get left behind.  So, no ultrasound for me.

[I believe the diagnostic use of ultrasound in screenings is a different application, so there is no advice against getting that.  Jump in and correct me if you know otherwise.]

O.K., had to get my latest B/C exploits out.  Please, feel free to return to the topic of sleep, getting it or lacking it.  Can a Mid-Age woman ever sleep like a baby ever again?  Please give me hope!

• Hannahbearsmom
    Hannahbearsmom Member Posts: 266
    Elimar: I knew there was something else I wanted to bring up at my med onc appt next week-bone density testing-thanks for the reminder! TCK
  • nativemainer

I am a middle that DOES sleep like a baby--I wake up every few hours, usually crying. . . .

• PatMom
    PatMom Member Posts: 322

This Mid-Age woman doesn't want to sleep like a baby.... they wake up every couple of hours.  Remember being a new parent and not getting any sleep? 

I want to sleep like a teenager, able to sleep for long stretches, and not bothered at all by the clock, alarms, noise or light.

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

I intererrupt this thread for a report all about me:

OK campers. Buckle your seat belts, I need you all.

My recall-recall mamo this morning indicates a "proliferation" (their term) in it's structure and organization since the last one 6 months ago. THUD.

Blessings:

1. My breast surgeon worked me into his afternoon rotation, a mere 6 hours after the mamo was read and the three of us had a heart-to-heart (including my DH).

2. A team of four people are willing to sacrifice sleeping in tomorrow on their NewYear'sEve morning-off to come in early and do a biopsy for me. We will meet @ 7:30 to get underway.

They are doing this out of the goodness of their collective hearts -- so that I can get on with my life just as soon as possible. They said they would want to move things quickly if it were any one of them.

The area in question now covers a 3 cm area and is defined in a linear manner. (There is no palapable mass.) It's not that the area of suspicion is solid for 3 cm, but that it covers that space linear. Hopefully that makes sense.

We expect that it will take till Mon or Tues of next week to get the path back.

I have indeed told both daughters & my actual sister. (LOL...... I think of all of you as my sisters.)

Since I had radiation & have been on Tamoxofin since my initial surgery, my risk was somewhere between 2 and 5% for a return scenerio. It is premature to suggest tonight that I am one of those 2 to 5 women, but somewhere in a hundred there are 2 to 5 with my situation who ultimately get that news. We will see how the math works out.

My DD1/Sarah, put up an initial post on FB that was very dour -- so she's obviously having a harder time that she expressed to me directly this morning. She has too much on her plate.... so I think she heard a meager amount of what I actually said. We asked her to take it down, until we have all the news back -- and she has..... but now my neice & nephew (from diff families) are in on the 'breaking news' FB style. Gee whiz.

I spoke to Saint at several points today. She is having a much better couple of days. We told each other that we need each other & agreed to keep our heads on straight for one another. We laughed about a number of things. We each thought of an amazing example of how our two DHs have been truly dear in the last 24 hours. We laughed and we cried.

I am very grateful for any & all prayers..... I especially ask for those that give me a sense of calm. Saint has taught me a lot about acceptance over the past several months.... so prayers for acceptance are also in order.

Least you confuse yourselves that I am the saint, I'll have you know that I'm as angry as humanly possible to be poised back at square one and this soon. It messes up my happy little calendar for the coming year, BIG time. The thought of not picking up my grandpeeps is enough to make me ill..... but we all do what we must do, because in the end -- that is our one choice.

I will put on my big girl panties and deal.

3. on the blessing list is that I am older & wiser this trip AND I have all of you.

xx00xx00xx00xx

• cookiegal
    cookiegal Member Posts: 527

umm...faith we must have posted right about the same time...sorry that lunesta post seemed odd coming out of your news!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, (((B9)))

(((B9)))

((((B9)))

So sorry this is going to cloud your new year's eve, but I hope you get to start the new decade with happy news!

• suzwes
    suzwes Member Posts: 765

faithandfifty - I started saying prayers for you before I finished reading your post, you are and will be in my thoughts and prayers.

• OG56
    OG56 Member Posts: 377

Faithand Fifty, I pray for all to be boringly B9. 

Hugs and Love to you.

• Meece

Oh, Faithy I am so sorry.  I will keep you in my prayers, you ar e such a strong woman and an inspiration to us here.  I hope and pray that you will not have to go through this again.

This has been a touhg day for me today, and reading your post finally made the tears flow.

A friend at work has a son who was diagnosed with nueroblastoma when he was 14 about 20 months ago.  He got a clear report sic months ago and she came back to work after taking time off for his treatments and hospitalizations.  Her marriage was destroyed by the stress of it all and so she was just getting back  into the swing of things, had found someone to spend time with.  This morning I noticed she came into work unusually early. I jokingly commented on it, and she said she had to head to LA, I asked for a Dr. Appt? She nodded, I asked how he was doing and she hesitated, then she told me the cancer has returned and it is attached to his bones.  

My mothers best friend of 43 years, who had been like an aunt to me,passed away a couple of weeks ago.  My dad just called me an hour ago to tell me that her husband passed away today.  He loved her so much!

Sorry for rambling about people you don't know but I am just hurting. Thank you all for being here.

Meece

• one-L
    one-L Member Posts: 653

faithandfifty, you are in my prayers and I am sorry you are having to go through this again so soon.  Keep us posted as to how you are doing, emotionally and physically.

meece, you and your family are also in my prayers.  I am glad that you let us know how much you are hurting, so we can be there for you.   I know how hard it is for you to go through what you have been through and now you see your friends going through tough times, it has to be very hard. 

May God be with both of you.

Juannelle

• nativemainer

Dear Father, I lift up my sister Faith to you tonight.  Her situation is a frightening, maddening and frustrating one.  Please grant her Your peace and bless and guide the staff who will be performing the biopsy tomorrow.  I pray that you will heal her body and send her a B9 finding, if that is Your will. 

Dear Father, I also bring my sister Meece before You this evening.  She is suffering many losses, and shares the pain of a freind and co-worker.  Please bless her, send her Your peace, and be with her freind and co-worker and her son.  You know who they are, and what they need.  Please give them everything they need, an I ask You for a miracle for the son.  

• hmm
    hmm Member Posts: 957

Meece,

So sorry to read about all you are dealing with...........life can be so hard at times. Thoughts and prayers for you and yours.

How was your visit to the eye doctor today?

Faith......... I also share Linda's thoughts of boringly B9 and keeping you in my prayers. 

Hugs,

Pat

• faithandfifty
    faithandfifty Member Posts: 4,424

I am so grateful for everyone's support and especially for the prayers.

Headed to bed, to "pretend" to sleep.

xx00xx00xx

Meece, I'm sending you a few scraps of energy that I just found in the bottom of my pocket, or maybe it was in a corner of my heart.

xx00xx00xx

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604

Faith....thinking of you and good thoughts for only good news on your biopsy results.....I lived in Columbus for 15 years....MIL and BIL/SIL and family live in Columbus....

Meese....Hugs to you.....

• Meece

Thank you ladies.  I was just reading from my last post and the tear started again.  I feel as though you, Faith, are my real sister, and you are going through a scary time.

I went to the Opth today, and he dialated my eyes (four hours ago and you still can't see much of my irises) he checked everything physically and said there is nothing visible and no eye damage.  He thinks it could be related to stress, and if it continues for two more weeks, he could use botox to paralyze the muscle.  I think that would be my last resort.  It's still twitching.  So maybe I need more than one glass of wine tomorrow night to relax.

At the same time my co-worker's son was dx'd, my son told me that he had had a ct scan and it showed five lessions on his spleen.  The report says it was indicative of lymphoma, so we (co-worker and I) had a sort of bond.  My son is doing okay now, although the military never allowed him any followup tests.  I guess that is why it has hit me hard about young James.

Faith, you are so generous to give your energy to me!  I will be sending you all my energy tomorrow.  What type of biospy will you be having?  May God give you strength and courage through  this.  God is good.

• meg8000
    meg8000 Member Posts: 37

I would like to join this lovely group, as I fit right in here.  I have a 21 y/o music ed major in his last year of college, and I was recently dx, and just completed round 2 of TC today.  2 more to go, and then rads and AI.

I learn a lot from these boards on a daily basis.  At some point I hope to move into the Nutritional and Alternatives so I can help improve my diet and regimen to take better care of myself and improve my chances. 

Wonderful to meet you all.  Congrats to Juanelle on finishing her chemo!

Hugs to Faith and Meece.  I will keep you both in my thoughts.

• Hannahbearsmom
    Hannahbearsmom Member Posts: 266

Faithandfifty and Meece: I will be praying for both of you. Always know that we are here for you. 

One-L: I'm glad to hear that the ambien worked for you and may this be only the first of many more restful nights to come. 

Barbe1958: After several years of working night shift, I got used to wearing one of those eyemasks to block out light but I never could get used to ear plugs. Oh well, they sure would come in handy to block out my husband's snoring. I just have to hope that I fall asleep first and stay asleep--or else I give him a shove/nudge to get him to stop if necessary.

Goodnight and peaceful sleeping to everyone!

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383

Faith...I'm sending prayers your way that everything will be OK. I've dealt with this beast twice and I know how waiting for more test results is...scary.

Meese...I am so sorry for all you're going through.