Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

ladies. I will share with you a news interview I did in April when I was going through chemo.  

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/story/25377911/orlando-cancer-patient-proud-of-illegal-marijuana-use

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,315

Thanks so much for sharing your news interview.  You are strong & brave!!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

jbok, Great job as spokeswoman for the situation as so many of us see and experience it.  Way to keep it real!   ThumbsUp  ThumbsUp 

• ndgrrl
    ndgrrl Member Posts: 645

This is all so scary , not knowing what is to come. When my oncologist told me I was to fixated on my breasts when I was in for my last appointment wanting some answers I wanted to smack him.  UMM hello I was no in there for a hang nail if I was then I would be fixated on that. Sheesh... 

I have a question for everyone. What date do you base your anniversary on. The date you had surgery. The date you were done with treatment or the date you were first diagnosed? I was diagnosed July 19th last year. 

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

ndgrrl, my stupid ass ex breast surgeon said the same thing to me, a year and a half after she scolded me for "not understanding the gravity of the situation"--sheeesh.

• 3rdtimenow
    3rdtimenow Member Posts: 126

Great interview, Jbok. Some people just have no business being doctors, such terrible bedside manners. I am so fortunate, my surgeon gave me his cell number. My other doc gave me cell # home # even his mother's number when he left the country to visit her, and they both always have a hug of encouragement for me. I always considered the date of my surgery as my anniversary date, interesting to see what others consider their anniversary date.

• KLJ
    KLJ Member Posts: 79

You are a great spokesperson Jbok!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

ndgrrl,  I just celebrated my 5th cancerversary and I used the date of my lumpectomy.  People use the other two methods you mentioned and no one cares which one you choose to go with.  I mean they are all equally valid, so you can just pick one that is the most meaningful to you.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

Jbok I saw that interview on TV! I remember thinking that I wasn't getting chemo, or that "red devil" and was thankful, but then after my biopsy came back I found out I would. Seems like a long time ago. I wish I had had access to medical marijuana. 

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Great interview jbok! I have been offered (and even tried) baking with MaryJane. Didn't find it to be advantageous, but then again I was just kind of winging it - didn't really have a recipe or anything. The Colorado Yum Yum as you named it, looks and sounds like a better option (I don't want to smoke it).

Eli - like the new topper! I don't usually have a problem getting to sleep before 2am. It's the waking at 1 or 2 am and then trying to get back to sleep after that.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

ndgrrl, my doc uses the surgery date. That is when you are considered cancer-free basically, so you count from that usually.

• jbokland

Barsco- google a recipe for baking.  There is sautéing involved.   I also have a friend who brews a tea with it that works well.

Funny, all the medical marijuana activists have been contacting me for  testimonials and interviews.  I've done some radio shows and I am speaking at a rally in September.   LOL, was not my intention to be the Norma Rae for this subject!    You never know what life brings you!

• Tomboy

i think that you should wave your hand in front of your face, to watch the colorful trails, and get completely absorbed in it, and speak....veeery...sloooowly....while   being interviewed.  just for extra added fun. love the brain, E.

• cakes
    cakes Member Posts: 89

ndgrrl ~ I can't figure out what date to use as my cancerverary so I decided to use the whole month! 

• jbokland

I just had to share this wedding gift that came in the mail yesterday!  These wine glasses look just like us!   (only very complimentary....when I had hair...). Are these not the most clever gift?

• homemom

jbokland those are cool! They look like those hand painted wine glasses you can get for different occasions. What a unique and thoughtful gift!

• Momine

Kathec, SillyHeartLove it!

Bokland, Mazel tov! (Ok, I am not Jewish, but I like "Mazel Tov" anyway).

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

kathec, I practiced your version of speaking "highly" without the actual ingredient and cracked myself up.

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449

hi all

Wednesday already. In 1 week I'm back in the chair. Suspect that I will continue weekly for my last few weeks but I'll know more next tues when I meet with my onc. If I maintained my schedule it would be 2 more rounds every third week but given my reaction I see this changing

As of today tummy is much better. Taste buds are off but atleast my tongue is not burning. I've also noticed that my nose is very dry and whenever I blow, seems bloody. I think that there are dry blood clots in there. Anyone else have this?

Having lost most of my eyelashes my eyes are sticky most mornings and often continues for the duration of the day. I sure hope that eyelashes grow back quickly!

I am finding it hard to get out of bed in the morning but have my hubby set the clock for 8am. I must admit that I'm having great sleeps although I something's wake up drenched or restless

I still have enough energy to exercise. Going on treadmill soon followed by weights. I hope that this helps! I try to maintain this as much as possible

My left foot sometimes feels strange -weird tingling or slightly numb but nothing too bothersome

Funny story - when my pain was severe I was told to try some weed. It will help ure pain. Just a bit. Well I had an anxiety attack and ended up on the kitchen floor. True I had no pain but I freaked out.  I remember saying " my eyes my eyes" and " I don't like how this is making me feel". There was my hubby trying to get me to relax while I ran around the house in a state of panic. I went outside saying I needed air then was back in the house. All of this happened on less than 5 minutes. Then I'm on the floor. My hubby said I just stopped rambling and with eyes open had a controlled fall into his arms. now this story will become one of those - remember when you did this and that happened?  Ha ha. Some rockstar!!!  

Another memory!! Tx cancer!!  Lol

Wishing you all a great day!

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

thought you all would get a chuckle from this. 

• jbokland

FBN-  That's quite a visual!  you freaking out on the kitchen floor.

What I have learned about MJ is that there are 2 types, sativa and indica.  Indica will mellow you, sativa may cause the paranoid/freak out.   When I got the medical MJ, it was a hybrid of most!

Aren't I the street-smart girl...LOL!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,315

mac - great apple product.  thanks for sharing.

• Momine

You know how women stash stuff in their bras? They should make foobs with built-in stash pockets.

• lovewins
    lovewins Member Posts: 570

thanks for the belly laugh Macatacmy.

Your doing great FBN.

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

mac - thx for the chuckle.

FBN - glad things have improved for you. Hope that tingling/numbness doesn't become bothersome. Your freak out story gave me a little chuckle. Could picture a YouTube video as I was reading it. Reminds me of the following video that was making the rounds a while ago. I'm sure some of you have seen it but it still makes me chuckle. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VyIDIAsCTI

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449

too funny barsco!!!  Lmao

• Tomboy

you guys are crackin me up!

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

good one, bars! That guy looked mellow musta been sativa. Boy, this is an educational thread!

• homemom

jbokland is our weed expert!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

I found that smoking pot made my pain worse as I relaxed more! Same with alcohol. So now I don't drink or smoke anymore. I WISH I got pain relief from pot as it doesn't "bother" me mentally.