Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449

tx elimar!

Did ok with KFC, fries , coleslaw and Pepsi yesterday. Then had smarties!  Lol. I'm just starting to get a few aches - took 1 Tylenol 3 last night. Biggest thing is fatigue. Ugh. I hate it!

And all I feel like eating is junk!

So far I've maintainedy weight. Even lost a couple of pounds. Getting my gym membership turned back on. Woo hoo!

Enjoy your Sunday!!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Football, I had the same thing on taxotere - all I could eat was carby junk, like TGIF tex-mex. The stuff does a number on your tastebuds, but at least it doesn't give you nausea.

Even a little exercise will help with the aches and fatigue.

• msmaples516
    msmaples516 Member Posts: 10

I am going to have my first mamagram on 8/5/14 since finshing with my radiation treatments 6 months ago.  I am little nervous. Hoping all goes well. I also have been taking Arimadex for the last 6 months. It has been fine. No side effects.  I am nervous.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Hey, my next mammo is on 8/5 too!!  The first one since my MX.  I did have an MRI in March, but this will be the first mammo.

we can be mammo buddies.

• glennie19

elimar:  My PCP wanted me to have the first one at age 50 as my father had died of rectal CA.  Course, he smoked and drank heavily and didn't take care of himself, and didn't get that until he was in his 80's,,, so honestly I didn't consider myself to be at huge risk for rectal CA.  When I saw the GI doc, he agreed, but said let's do it anyway.   Well, he had to use my family history to convince the insurance company that I needed to have it done at age 50. And so did my brother, but he was under 50 when he had his done. His doctor wanted to do him early due to the family history.   

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

glennie19, CRC is kind of like BC, in that most do not arise from family history.  The biggest significant factor for CRC is probably just age, being over 50, when things have had time to grow.  (With BC, the biggest factor is just being woman.)  With CRC, I seem to remember the question being, "Did a family member have CRC before age 50?"  That's a big red flag.  The other "rule" is that if a family member had CRC, then the kids of that person should get a first screening 10 years earlier.  Your insurance sounds like the usual tightwads, so I am glad you pushed to get it done.

msmaples516, welcome!  Ask them to go easy on the squishing, because most of us have still felt some lingering soreness at the 6 mo. point.  They might even listen to you, if you are lucky.

Good luck to you both.  I'll be watching for the results.

I'll be getting the mammo, US and a bonus MRI this coming Thursday.  A trifecta!

• glennie19

Yes, CRC before age 50 is a major red flag! I don't really consider my family history to be that big a deal concerning it, but man,, the insurance company wanted it before approving the test.  **GAH*** they make me nuts. Like anyone WANTS to get THAT test done????   Not likely,,,

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

I get a TVUS on Tuesday, Mammo next Tuesday, must be that time of year....I need to get a Colon. too.

• glennie19

I got my TVUS this Friday,, and the mammo the following Tues... Wow,, it really is THAT time of year.

• glennie19

loral,, i really like your avatar!

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

What is TVUS?

• glennie19

trans-vaginal ultrasound.  In my case,, I have uterine fibroids that we are watching.  : (

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

Thanks glennie19, We all wish for that...............

Fibroids -7. Ovarian cyst-1 and taking Tamoxifen...That is why the TVUS.

• glennie19

My estrogen level shot way up again too,,, and after it was low for months and I had some hot flashes,, thinking for sure, I was in menopause. Nope.  So I have a feeling we will be discussing hysterectomy this Friday.

• homemom

Oh ok, I had one of those a couple  years ago when they wanted to look and see why I was having very heavy periods and sporadically. Gyno wanted to do an ablasion (sp) and it was never done. This year I had a biopsy after my pap smear showed uterine cells. It was all clear. I haven't had a period in over a year, so I guess I'm past menopause!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Barbe, you calling me sweetie is perfectly OK Happy

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296

Living in very SW MO comes with a lot of the hon, sweetie, dear, darling types of endearment...It does crack me up when a 20 year old calls me hon, but I guess I'm used to it. I myself am guilty of dropping my g's (eg. Fishin') and use y'all quite a bit...and I have a degree in English and know it isn't correct. Ozark Dialect just comes with all the good things of the South...like sweet tea and really good fried chicken I guess. :)

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,910

Barbe--too funny,
    but a great comeback to the workman!Good for you!

Eli--I think you are
    right, a lot of the time "hon" and the like is just an habitual way
    of talking.Still can be irritating,
    though.

Football--Good for
    you!

Msmalpeles--I
    remember that first after rads mammogram.I was a wreck.Be kind to
    yourself, make sure you have some time after the appointment where you don't
    have to be anywhere, so you can sit in the car and shake, cry, do whatever you
    need to (if you need to).Once you get
    it out of your system you'll be ok again!

Justamy--can this
    Yankee gal ask what 'sweet tea' means in the south?Here in main we have sweetened and
    unsweetened ice tea, Is 'sweet tea' another name for sweetened ice tea?

• justamy

Native: Sweet tea is sweetened tea on steroids...meaning LOTS of sugar...from 1 to 2 cups per gallon. I personally don't drink it but almost everyone does and you can't go to a gathering without it being there.  :)

• homemom

Sweet tea is usually made on the stove. You boil the water with a LOT of sugar and add the tea bags. It cooks for a while before you let it cool. Tastes much better then "sweetened" tea. I live in SC for 7 years and I never made it that way, but did drink it, excellent. I just put a big dispenser full of water, tea bags and sugar on the deck in the sun. Sun tea!

• justamy

I forgot to mention that you add the sugar while its hot so it dissolves. Thanks homemom. That is an important difference!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,910

Justamy--WOW, that
    is a lot of sugar and some VERY sweet tea!Thanks for the explanation.

HomeMom--I make sun
    tea a lot in the summer, maybe I'll try putting some sugar in one batch to see
    if I like it.

It's funny how
    adding sugar can taste different depending on when you add it!

• footballnut

sugar. Mmmmmmmmmm

:-)

• homemom

Eating Edy's cappicino chip frozen yogurt as we speak.....I can taste it Loopy

• Brwneyedgirl
    Brwneyedgirl Member Posts: 70

Just need some place to unload this emotion.  I have been having a couple of emotional days.  Finished rads on Monday and found out Monday night that a high school friend is giving up his fight with cancer.  He was diagnosed at the same time I was, maybe the reason for all of the emotion is the fear that I might be in his shoes some day..... trying to work through this and stay positive. 

Hope everyone has a great day. 

• elimar

Hey, Ddgm1003, I am pleased that your rads are finished but very sorry to hear about your friend.  You don't mention which kind of cancer, but so many of them are deadly and aggressive that sometimes it is just a "fight" that cannot be won.  If this is the case, try not to think of him as "giving up" because it is a monumental decision of the acceptance of reality.  It usually takes a lot of inner work to get to that place...a lot harder than just showing up at the appointed time for treatment.  The treatments cause so much collateral damage, the body can only take so much, and everyone else is on the outside, looking in.  Only the individual can say when enough is enough.  Yes, you might be in his shoes one day, but you have used all available methods not to be and the odds are on your side, so don't lose out on life by dwelling on possibilities too much.

• footballnut

hi all

Got through round 2 of 6 of taxo. I call it round 5.1. My onc nurse told me that my side effects should remain as is throughout the duration of treatment. I hope so! I got colace and will start taking tonight for a few days

I bought a generic brand the other day because they did not have colace and saw that there are 2 types of parabens in there! Good grief! You can't avoid the stuff!

I'm paranoid about the skin creme and body washes that I use but it's in everything!!!

After chemo I came home and slept for 3 hours. Same as last time! Prior to chemo they give me steroids, Benadryl and something else - I forget. It's the Benadryl that knocks me out. Felt like I was in space!!

Ddgm I echo what elimar shared

I hope that everyone had a good day!

• elimar

F-nut, I shoulda asked for the benadryl.  I had a different chemo, but had only the steroids and an anti-nausea with it.  I never slept on chemo night.

• eph3_12

Hey, is it a thousand pages we are trying to reach by Aug 21, the 5 yr anniversary of the thread?  We need to pick up the pace.  I know that I for one have been slacking.

so I know some of you are on FB with me but most are not.   A long time friend posted the following the other day from when I lived in Honolulu & she & her friend came to visit.  This picture is 30 years old!  All I could think of when I 1st saw it was : Wow check out those boobs!!! 

• eph3_12

I probably should have posted it in "Middle Aged Memories" !