Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

Monis! really, is that one? i did wish you a happy birthday, too didnt i !?! (he he he)

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

HNS - that is too funny. I think it may convince stable boy to stick around just to see what might happen next! And those apples provided by Luv will surely satisfy his sweet tooth. Eli - I surely don't mind cleaning out a few crumbs after a PP (small price to pay for all of the support), just hoping those beauties you are bringing don't leave anything behind.

kathec - try not to stress too much about the colonoscopy. (easier said then done right?) You will do great - and yes, continue to ask all the questions that you need answers to.

• footballnut
    footballnut Member Posts: 449

hi all

Update for me

I hate taking percocets. It makes me feel foggy, light headed, nausous and spacy. Went to bed last night at 10:30 with a bit of pain. Thought I could handle it. Woke up at 1:30am crying. Hubby got me applesauce and I took 2 more percs. Woke up at 6:30. Had Rice Krispies with some milk. Had aome more apple sauce. Nearly threw up but didn't. Bit of d. Drank g2, apple juice and water

I've lost 4 pounds since Saturday. Called nurse to let her know where I'm at. Still have no fever

Felt better lying down. It's 9:40am and I just woke up again. Going to try to eat eggs and toast with a banana. Eating just doesn't appeal up me. My tongue is on fire but I have no sores

What I hate is taking the percs. When I have pain I don't feel foggy, nausous or dizzy. Just hurt. When I take percs I have these other SEs

I can't imagine having to have two more rounds of taxotere. I just don't feel strong enough. A friend of mine had these pains for a week before they subsided

Hard to believe that this will pass as I'm also hearing of so many women feeling crap with tamoxifen and I'll need to take that too. How will I have a good quality of life with this crap?

I have to be able to exercise, play my guitar, sing.....

On top of everything else I got an email from my company hr rep asking if she could give my personal email to my GM and director of HR. That really stressed me out. This is the same GM that hit me up on linkedin a few months ago as I'm getting treatment. I deal with my insurance company who deals with my employer. Even as a manager I was told that I could not deal directly with any employee who was off on disability

Every time I hear my GMs name I cringe. He couldn't care less if I live or die. I know that our a/r results have tanked in the months since I've been off. I'm going to tell them that I will continue to work through my insurance company and that they can do the same

It's all I need right now

Sorry to be so down all. You're really helping me with your virtual hugs. It's so hard to sit at home alone all day with my hubby at work knowing that he's worried about me and I'm too weak to give him a strong face

Hopefully this will pass soon. I can't take much more!

Trying to focus on nfl tickets going on sale for my jets tomorrow so that I can buy 2 tix for jets vs broncos. That same evening the rangers open their season against the toronto maple leafs my hubby's team. Hoping to get to both games!

Wishing all of you a great day!

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Football, the pain is from inflammation. It is like the flu from hell. The first time I just endured it, but mentioned it to onc the next time. They kinda yelled at me for not calling. Next time, they had me take steroids for a day longer than normal, and then anti-inflammatories - voltaren or ibuprofen. That did the trick. I still didn't feel all fabulous or anything, but much better than the flu thing. In other words, I am not sure the percocet is the right pain killer for this.

• 3rdtimenow
    3rdtimenow Member Posts: 126

Sorry you are not feeling well, football nut, it just sucks that these treatments are so hard on us. Hope you feel better soon. I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years with no problems hope the same for you. Stephanie

• 3rdtimenow

Starting radiation today, praying for physical and emotional strength to get me through.

• Brwneyedgirl
    Brwneyedgirl Member Posts: 70

Football - I had leg cramps with T every round.  Some worse than others.  I was prescribed Hydrocodone after surgery and the DO said I could take it if needed for achiness and cramping.  I took it 3-4 nights every round so I could sleep.  The first round I refused to take it and did not get much sleep.  These kind ladies convinced me that there was no reason to suffer. 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,315

Football - Glad you felt you could vent.  I agree w/Momine about the steroids.  I only took them for 4 days each time but they made my life possible.  Also helped w/nausea. I ate mostly BRAT diet for all 6 tx & rarely found anything that tasted good for quite some time after PFC.  And her comment about anti-inflammatories was good.  maybe check w/your doc to see if you can try a different pain med?  Sorry it's getting to you.  It's just NOT a fun time.  Pamper yourself!!

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

FBN - sorry that you are not feeling well. Hoping that you can get something to better help out with the pain and are feeling better soon.

3rdtime - thinking of you as you start radiation. Keep us posted on how you are doing.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Tramadol is a good pain med combined with anti-inflammatory properties. There are times I get more relief with that rather than my morphine!

• 3rdtimenow

Thanks, Barsco, so far so good. Has anyone been given any advice on nutrition during rads, what might help or hurt? I have been reading conflicting things. I have an appointment with a nutritionist on Thurs. So far green tea and honey, having a cup now. Stephanie

• lovewins
    lovewins Member Posts: 570

3TA...praying for your strength, I know He will provide.

FBN...sorry you are in so much pain....please let your nurse know what you are going thru.  It's okay if you don't have a brave face all the time, I had to learn that too.  It takes a lot of energy.  I hope you are feeling better.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

3rd time, make sure the nutritionist knows you are getting rads as some stuff can contraindicate the benefits of the rads!!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

LOVE the topper E!

FBN, girl you need to let the doc/nurse know how you are feeling.  Their job is to get you thru chemo and they don't want any more bad press.  My folks were very accommodating in helping me.  I think it was round 2 (maybe 3) of T/C and my right hand swelled up and had like blisters all over.  It was determined that because they had reduced the steroid dosage that round in an attempt to lower my blood sugars or something (it's been 5 years! Thank the Lord) that my skin had reacted so for the next round(s) they didn't do a reduction & I didn't have that problem again.  They will do what needs to be done & if they don't scream until someone does!

• 3rdtimenow

Thanks Barbie, yes I have been reading about that, all very confusing. I also have been on a weight loss diet and now they tell me not to lose more than 5 lbs, during treatment. ThumbsDownSinging

1 down 32 more to go.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

kathec, You haven't been around this thread long enough to have been let in on the not-so-secret-secret.  Once you are under the anesthesia, the actual probing is handled by highly proficient aliens, aboard a mothership.  They have years of experience, dating back to the 40's when their "practice" began with mainly desert clientele.  I can't seem to say this enough (as it seemed a miracle to me) but when you wake up, your butt doesn't remember a thing.

image  Rare photo of top docs on the "Human Procedures" board.

Seriously, while a perforated colon seems to be frightful possibility, be more afraid of the pre-cancerous polyps that may be lurking in there just waiting for a chance to kill ya.  Statistically, that is a more likely scenario.  Both you and BF need to nip any little lurkers in the bud a.s.a.p.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Eli, uhm, surely you mean: "nip any little lurkers in the butt ...."Loopy

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Ah Eli I forgot about the alien probing. Shows you what a good drug propofol is.

Yes, let's nip them in the butt so to speak.

• elimar

FBN, This is what they mean when they say chemo has cumulative effects.  While Taxotere may actually be worse than fluorouracil (5-FU,) don't forget you had to take the Taxotere on top of those three round of the 5-FU.  Just about everyone reaches that point where they "hit the wall."  But I do agree with all the others that you mention all your SEs and overall feeling to the docs/nurses, because many of the SEs can be managed; or they may decide to lower your dosage slightly.  I am glad that you are using the cold packs on hands and feet.  I hope you don't come away with any permanent neuropathy (which Taxotere is known for.)  You have two more round left, so the finish line is in sight now.  The good news is that you do begin to rebound within a week of two PFC, although it takes the body much longer to fully rebound from all the poison.   Finally (if you like it) try some watermelon.  I don't know what it is, but it is one food that retains it's natural taste in the face of chemo. 

Barsco,  You know if the virtual horses do make a virtual mess, all the more reason for the stable boy to show up.  

HnS,  I saw that poodle/horse mash-up too when I got the horse image.  Too funny!

Ddgm1003, welcome!  How is your radiation going so far?  Looks like you are a few weeks ahead of 3rdtimenow on that.  I won't lie...about 1/3 of women do get a more serious skin response with blistering, but that means that 2/3 (the majority) get by with only the minor rads burn.  I liked the 100% aloe gel (from WalMart) for moisturizing because it had a cooling effect when it was applied.  With a moisturizer, just remember it goes on after and never before rads.  Also, expect some fatigue.  Rads will make you sleepy tired (not the weak-tired like chemo.)  I took naps.

• Brwneyedgirl
    Brwneyedgirl Member Posts: 70

elimar thank you for the insight. Lucky me I only have 20 rads to do.  16 full breast and 4 boosts.  As I was talking to some other ladies at the ROs office yesterday it appears that their protocol for stage 1 is to do less days.  I need to ask if the dosage is higher because there are fewer days.  I will put that on my list for my visit with the RO next week.  Sleepy tired I can handle, that overwhelming fatigue was awful at the end of chemo.

Have a great day everyone.

• elimar

D-1003, I believe the full dosage (for the ~6 wk. protocol) is 50gys.  I think when you go the quicker route, you get higher daily fractions, but overall it ends up being 40gys.  But do ask and let us know. 

I hope some Canadians chime in here because they have the ~3 Wk. protocol.  I am not sure what the total gys are on that.

I haven't kept up with all the rads news lately.  For good reason.  If I read stuff where the standards change to shorter exposures/lower dosages, I have a tendency to feel p.o.'d(*) at having gotten the super-sized amount. 

(*) (That's the standard abbreviation for pissed offded, right?)

• elimar

Looked at the calendar 5 minutes ago.  July 9th!  Got my BC out 5 years ago today.  My 5th Cancerversary.  

image  ...to ME!  Gotta keep on rolling...

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Congratulations Elimar!  That is great news!  Does it seem like time flew by?

I do not know exactly when I had my lumpectomy, in fact my diagnosis date is just an estimate.  I'm going to ask my BS next time I see him so I can celebrate properly, sometime next summer.

I mean, I think this calls for some wine or sangria (which I have a peculiar hankering for at the moment).  Mmm, sangria and salsa and chips.

Whatever you do, do something!  And to think you almost missed it!

(feeling retro today) :)

• elimar

Are you suggesting a toast?

• cakes
    cakes Member Posts: 89

elimar ~ congratulations! I'm still not sure what day to call my cancerverary but decided to celebrate the month of July to cover all bases. LOL! This is my one year. Cheers Dear and yes, this calls for a toast! The beverage of your choice. Winking

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Haha, yes let's have a toast... here's to raisin bread and how beautifully it toasts up and how yummy it is when covered in all kinds of gooey, buttery, bad-for-you deliciousness!

And we'll wash it down with a big pitcher of some dad-gum sangria!  (I swear, I'm going to have to go get some tonight)

And then we'll toast you, too. :)

• elimar

Haven't had Sangria in a long time.  Have to say that pitcher looks delightfully refreshing!!!   ThumbsUp

• cakes
    cakes Member Posts: 89

Happy Happy elimar!  I am definitely in heartnsoul7! Smile

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

Hi Ladies,

New to this board, but demographically fit right in! 

Footballnut- The Percocet may be giving you more problem than benefit.  The codeine can really mess with you.  Have you tried or talked to your doc about NSAID or an alternative paid med?

Started rads today,(well had my dry run) and officially start tomorrow.  I've been prepping the last 2 weeks by moisturizing with a natural bee's honey/jojoba wax.      Has anyone heard of the benefits of turmeric or curry during rads?

I'm commemorating my day. I remember seeing this idea on the boards and  I ran out for a pedi right before my appointment :

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

Happy to see the five year mark pass by, eli!!!! 

bars, did ya get thru your CT scan?

kath, it's a piece of cake. And you truly do not remember a thing about the alien probing. Kinda like childbirth, it's the only way to keep us coming back for more.

hang in there, fbn. Hey, did ya watch the world cup or not that kind of foootball nut? I'm a great one for distraction from unpleasant bodily feelings.

that goes for the rad ladies, too. I found cool wash cloths and aquaphor soaked tee shirts helped with the heat. (and I had my rads in the winter)

eph, I miss you chiming in as often. But I am glad your life is busy enough that you don't hang out here as much as you used to. 

j, lol about the pedi! did the techs get a chuckle? I've got one toe nail that has not recovered yet, needs some disguising. (edited to add this)