Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Barsco - All Aboard (in my best conductor's voice). Don't think I will be disappointed about not being stuck in the pocket corner. Plenty of room for all of us.

Amy there is a big thread about getting ready for chemo. I think the thread header has most of the info though certainly not discounting the posts. Just all the posts might be a little overwhelming at this point. And we can ride the same bus to Amy's for her port placement.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/69/topic/...

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Barsco, will definitely hop to it tomorrow!

justamy, yes, do be proactive and call them.  I was not on any oral meds, so cannot recall any certain instruction.  At some point I was told no NSAIDs, but that might have been pre-surgery.  I haven't put this up in a while, but in the case of drugs/meds, I always like to check drugs.com for interactions.

Welcome, chipmunk57!

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

on the bus too.  

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

Barsco--I
    remember the Magic School Bus!Great
    show, and hopefully available for you today!

• elimar

Lie still & don't jostle me, Barsco, I'm here with my cup of tea.  I've brought some breakfast tarts for us all and some crumpets for me. 

image            image

• staynsane
    staynsane Member Posts: 196

I'm in too, Barsco, but man, it's packed in here!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Those look more like English muffins, e....just sayin'....

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

late to the bus, so i'll have to stand, but i'm here for you too, Bars!

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

Standing with you kathec - all aboard!

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484

Gosh Eli whatever those things are they look yummers!

Hoping to hear from you soon Barsco.

• elimar

Crumpet...

English Muffin...

• barsco1963
    barsco1963 Member Posts: 879

Was glad to be able to nibble away on the PP goodies today as no diet restrictions for bone scan! Thanks all for jumping on board with Ms Frizzle (Frazzled might be more like it). You must have had the air conditioning cranked on the bus - I had to ask for a blankie to put over me. Will find out results in a couple of days (hopefully). Came home and made a cherry pie - first one ever. Smells delish! Can't wait to try it!

justamy - hoping your port install went without a hitch.

• justamy
    justamy Member Posts: 296

They are indeed doing my chemo education on the same day as my first infusion. But I my nurse is now going to call me with specific instruction prior to the day. So it helped to ask.

I got my port today. Easiest surgery ive ever had (I've had 4 or 5).The pain is pretty bad right now but it's my fault because I wanted to go to the mall after so I just took ib instead of the real pain meds. Got some stuff for my chemo bag and went to Charlotte Russe and found some great scarfs for $5 each for head coverings. Plus my niece brought me a cute wig to the hospital. So shopping was fun but I'll be taking the heavy duty pain meds when I get home!

• glennie19

refreshments on the bus! How lovely! 

• barsco1963

justamy - So good to hear surgery went well. Now to get those pain med in and relax for the rest of the day.

• glennie19

my post went to the bottom and there were more posts! 

Nice shopping after port surgery, you tough woman!  

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

Hey everyone, sorry I missed the bus, glad you had a crowd, bars and justa! I have found what I'll bring to the next pp, a bacon bowl or two!! I saw them at Marshalls yesterday. They are my favorite brand "as seen on TV". 

• macatacmv

I am part of the fibro group, too. I was just dx a few months ago. So still not quite sure what it's all about. I think it actually started before my bc dx, but doc I went to about being so tired all the time, said I was probably just a little depressed. I had been caring for my ailing parents for a few years and running a business and raising kids, all of a sudden I couldn't do it all anymore. Anyway, my Dad died soon after and then my dx a few months after that. So then it was all bc this and bc that, I started taking Arimidex and found I could not function. I got HBP and very depressed. They started me on those meds.  So now on Tamox, and dx with fibro. I take a half of trazadone at bedtime. Only wake up once or twice and can go right back to sleep. I am feeling so much better than a month ago. It seems like it is better living thru chemistry.

edited to add: I like the spacey header pic, e!

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

We fell in love with crumpets when we were living in Australia.  I have not been able to find them here!

• elimar

mac, That header is probably just time lapse of a starry night, but I put it up there because it's that time of year again...time to look heavenward to the Perseid meteor shower.  You insomniacs will love it because I think viewing is better after midnight.  How to get away from light pollution is always my problem.  

Oh, and sleep starved people...ever notice how the nights are not black anymore?  Supposedly we should be sleeping in as a lightless room as possible.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Oh Barsco, I'm sorry I missed the Magic Bus Ride to the bone scan. I hope the ladies got in there like storm troopers and zapped all the foreign objects. Oops, mixing two fantasy shows. Hope you get good results back soon. Maybe I should tempt the Stable Boy with the funny-looking horse/giant poodle so he can rescue the poor animal.

Yep, fibromyalgia here too. Diagnosed in 1995.  After trying many different medicines (which didn't help) I just decided to endure it.  Most of the time it's okay.  Sleep is the main thing that keeps the pain away.  If I only get a few hours, I feel crippled by the time I get back to my bed.  And even if I catch up that day, I'm still good for nothing for the rest of the night. It takes about two days to get back on track if my sleep gets cut short.  People have no idea how debilitating it is when they interrupt my sleep to suit their schedules.  They just think I'm lazy.  After all these years of trying to explain it, I give up. They'll never get it unless they "get" it.  Same with cancer.

Oh, about the really stupid things people say when you're trying to discuss your cancer fears with them.  I really hated this one, courtesy of my brother: "Yeah, and I could get hit by a truck tomorrow so I could die, too".  I'm like, oh really.  Do you think about that truck running you down in the road over and over all during your work day and when you can't sleep at night?  Every single day?  Do you get online and look up to see what you can do to stop it?  Fortunately, that was several years ago and the good news is I don't think about cancer quite so much anymore.  But that annoying remark is just stuck in my head.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 842

I feel for you girls with FM. This fatigue is frustrating and to have to deal with a chronic condition like that on top of it all has to be tough. Scared

The worst thing anyone has said came from my sister. I have been fortunate that I married a great guy and we have had three great kids (married 30 years). She picked the wrong guy every time and as result is divorced now 17 years with no children. I understand she has had it tough financially etc and I look like I have it all, but when told her I would get breast recon and have two new boobs, she said "Even when something bad happens to you, something good happens".  I'd gladly keep my old starting to sag boobies that are cancer free then have to go through this chit. When I lamented my hair falling out she said the usual "It'll grow back".   Well duh, but do YOU want to be a bald woman for a several months?  One time one of her dogs jumped up and chipped her tooth, you'd think the world was coming to an end because she "looked like a witch".   Within days the dentist fixed it. Life goes on as usual! 

• barsco1963

Ohhhh mac - Bacon Bowls! Bacon has got to be just about the most universal food out there. It goes with everything! I bet it would taste great crumbled into a bowl of Cheetos!

• barsco1963

lol - I obviously was not the first person to think about the Cheetos/bacon connection.

OR how about a Cheetos/chocolate/bacon combo?

Not sure why some pics don't show when I copy/paste - grrr

• macatacmv

thought of everyone here when I saw this.

• barsco1963

LOL mac!

• glennie19

Mac, that pic is hilarious!  

Hesrtnsoul:  I totally get you. My mom has said completely wrong things to me.  "Won't you ever get over this?" About the Fibro.  And now I have another chronic problem: lymphedema.  And there is just no understanding of that either.  But god forbid anything happens to her.  It is total trauma!   

• elimar

OMG, mac, get me one of those little devices!  My world has just revolved around those two things for 5 years now.  Unfortunately.

I think FM is even more misunderstood than BC.  Half the doctors do not understand it.  The other half don't believe it exists!!!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605

Yep, elimar! Just like docs didn't used to believe in LE!!!

• 3rdtimenow
    3rdtimenow Member Posts: 126

Hi ladies, SIX more treatments to go, but who's counting?