Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• 3littlebirds
    3littlebirds Member Posts: 54

Yes, standard of care for high risk is mammogram alternating with MRI every 6 months and a clinical breast exam every 6 months. I did this for about 7 years, ever since my genetic testing came back BRCA1+. My insurance never gave me any grief about it. I also didn't have a problem getting coverage for my genetic testing. My mother had breast cancer at 36 and ovarian cancer at 57. My oldest sister had ovarian cancer at 47 and my middle sister breast cancer at 51. I was all ready to get a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy, but my last MRI showed a small area of concern. They wanted to biopsy with mammo or US, but nothing showed so I had MRI guided biopsy. Truthfully, I didn't even want a biopsy since in my mind they were already gone. BS insisted, and I suppose for insurance purposes it was a faster approval. 

Thank you for the welcome! At 51, I feel like I fit right in! 

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

KLJ:  Seriously I think having a sister with BC at AGE 30 would be a HUGE red flag for putting younger daughter in high risk category.  I would definitely fight the insurance company on that. Not even mentioning that Mom has BC too,, again high risk category.

Congrats on 4th grandson.  Maybe there will be a girl in your future. My friend has two daughters.  One daughter had  4 girls before the boy,, the other one had 2 girls before the boy!  but they both finally got a boy.  LOL!!  Enjoy the new baby!!

Keep us posted!!! 

• glennie19

and MRI should be standard if you are high risk ( in my opinion)  cuz Mammo and US can miss a lot.  Really, you need all 3 if you are high risk.

• KLJ
    KLJ Member Posts: 79

glennie19, I couldn't agree more! If one more person tells me that it doesn't matter because my older daughter and I have different kinds of cancer I think I will lose my mind. That's what they fight me with! Some rational right??? Unfortunately chemo put my oldest daughter into menopause. She had decided that she was done having kids when she was diagnosed and told her MO that. So a girl would be in the hands of my younger daughter and I guess that will depend on the outcome of any testing that we can get done! I just have to believe that it can't strike us again!

• glennie19

People are stupid, and say stupid things.  There's a thread somewhere called something like:  "the stupidest things people said to me about BC"   It's amazing,,,,  you know the whole "free" boob jobs, etc,

It really sucks to hit your family again. Will keep fingers crossed for D2.

• 3littlebirds

My sister and I had different types of breast cancer and nobody suggested they weren't related. She had ER+++, PR+, HER- and I had ER+,PR-. They didn't test my DCIS for HER. I have heard of people getting a recurrence with a different type. I can't believe anyone would tell you it didn't matter. It's maddening.

• glennie19

yeah, and my DX is Paget's AND DCIS,, same breast at the same time !!  Helloooooooo

Most of those diagnosed with Paget's have another type,, it's actually rare to have "pure" Paget's, so I was not surprised to also have DCIS.

I say: get out the b*itch slapper, KLJ!

• KLJ

glennie19, oh how I wish I could. My goal is to just find a way for her to get tested and get some peace of mind. Lots to talk to my MO about next week! Have my pre-op with the PS for my exchange surgery on 9-2. Excited to get this step over with :) so I can give 100% to her. I won't take no for an answer!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

re:  If one more person tells me that it doesn't matter because my older
    daughter and I have different kinds of cancer I think I will lose my
    mind.

KLJ, I did make a statement about that in my post to you (although I did not say it doesn't matter) and I mentioned it with this meaning:  With you, a 50+ woman having ER+ BC, the risks for your younger daughter would be raised but I don't think that alone sets off any sirens because that is so very common even without any genetic component.  However, with an older daughter having TN at age 30, that is a different story.  Odd to get it so young and TN is a more aggressive type.  That is way more worrisome, plus now two in the same family have BC.  Big red flag.

I still do think that your younger daughter would probably be o.k. waiting a year to be screened. 

Hope you were not taking my comment in another way and that you didn't lose your mind over it.  She definitely is a candidate for early screening and I hope you find a way for ins. to finance that.  Do either you or your older daughter have coverage on having the BRCA test done?

• KLJ

Oh Elimar, that statement was not directed at you it was towards the insurance company! Every person I have talked to at my insurance company as well as hers has said that since our cancers were different it was not a cause for alarm. Please don't think that was meant for you :) I appreciate ALL of your input!

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

Elimar, what IS that? at the top? it looks like a lighthouse teepee, somewhere in europe.

• Tomboy

is it an old stereo-opticon images? is it really on the edge of central park?

• ncollett
    ncollett Member Posts: 753

I am 49 and also just went in for my yearly mammogram not even thinking there was anything wrong. I got a phone call from the BC the next day telling me they found something they didnt like and that they wanted me to come in for diagnostic films and possible US. I went in for the films and then they said they wanted to do the US because the films confirmed what they found on the mammo. I knew during the US something wasnt right when the tech went and brought back in the Radiologist who then looked under my arm as well. Next was the biopsy which I was still thinking in my mind would be benign. A couple of days later I got a phone call from my PCP who also happens to be a friend of mine. I knew from the sound of his voice he had bad news. 

When he told me I had IDC I heard nothing else he told me. I am a Respiratory Therapist and immediately thought the worse. All I heard was invasive cancer. I couldnt sleep, was gagging, angry, crying, depressed. Here I am 49 I have two children. A son who is 28 and a daughter who is 25 and a beautiful grandson who is 2. What the heck! My grandmother had breast cancer and died from ovarian cancer and I have a Aunt who died from ovarian and cervical ca, my dad had just passed away a year ago from small bowel ca, and his twin had lung ca. What am I going to do.

When I went to my BS he told me I have stage 1 ER+ PR+ HER2- Grade 2 cancer. I had my lumpectomy July 30. They didnt get all of the cancer so I have to go back Sept 10 for a re-excision. Then Radiation and Tamoxifen. As of now the BS said I dont need chemo. I meet with my MO on Wed though and we will see what he says. BS said I was borderline on oncotype test. 

I am very nervous. I still hurt, my lymph node was clear but I have had this cough off and on since April and get SOB just walking a lot or walking fast. I am also very tired, which I didnt expect yet since I havent started any tx yet. Glad to find this site.

• glennie19

you have SOB and a cough?  What about getting a chest X-ray?  R/O pneumonia??

We are here for you. Vent all you want.

• 3littlebirds

Nancy, so sorry about your troubles. I had pneumonia 2 years ago, and was absolutely exhausted for weeks. I hope they figure out what's wrong. Two family members with ovarian cancer is a red flag for a BRCA1 or 2 mutation. Have they ruled that out? 

• ncollett

3littlebird they did a CXR on me today I dont have results yet. They are going to have me see a Pulmonologist just as a preventative and to stay on top of things because I also have asthma. I also did have the BRCA test in 2007 when my grandma died and they were both negative but they are doing more genetic testing on me due to all the other cancers.

• elimar

KLJ,  Thank goodness because I was not trying to be one of those people.  Just anyone in the family having it so young would indicate that the other members need to be proactive and get screened earlier than the average bear.  So, 3littlebirds and I were wondering has anyone had the BRCA test?

ncollett, Your story sounds a lot like mine, right down to the "going deaf" reaction upon getting the Dx.  I was an 18 on my Oncotype test; did not do chemo for BC.  However, I did not need to get re-excision and I am sorry that is so in your case.  It is fairly common, unfortunately.  [I just have to insert that when they don't get good margins, why do we get the bill for another surgery?  Funny how low-level mechanics/techs have to stand by their work and if something was done wrong, they correct it gratis.  Where's the motivation for the docs to do it right the first time?]  Anyhoo, I think you should try to get to the bottom of the cough before beginning your rads because rads can sometimes give you respiratory SEs, and how would you recognize that if you went into rads with pre-existing symptoms?

kathec,  Is that Central Park?  More likely England.  You are looking at a Helter Skelter.  Like in The Beatles song.  It's a giant slide.  Since we are always comparing BC to some of the more discombobulating carnival rides around here, this seemed to fit right in.  Actually, I was thinking how odd that one looks plopped in with some more traditional architecture.  Just like our body build nice, orderly cells; and then along comes cancer and builds some crazy, helter-skelter looking lump in the midst of all the order.   But, besides the BC analogy, the Helter Skelter looks fun and wouldn't you like to go on this one in Bournemouth?  Except the slide looks like it stops about seven feet above the ground...yikes!

Tell me, tell me, tell me the answer.  How long til they find a cure for cancer?  Helter skelter, helter skelter.

• glennie19

I did have the BRCA test, it was neg. 

• KLJ

Yes Elimar, Daughter1 had the BRCA testing and it was negative. I need to call my ins. and see if they cover it for me to be tested. I just read on a site suggested by SpecialK that with all of the relative factors that Daughter2 has going she is definitely high risk and the assessment test shows that she is 4 to 5 times more likely to get breast cancer than the average person. That really ups the ante. Bright Pink has lots of info and answers lots of financial aid questions. Lots of homework to do. No matter how old they are they are always your children :)

• elimar

KLJ and glennie19, good news about the BRCA.  That is likely to be only the tip of the iceberg as far as the genetics of BC goes.  I know there has been another genetic factor that has been isolated (and I have a mental block on its name,) but who knows how many genes can be involved?  When you see it occur in clusters in families, it seems that it is more than just coincidence.

• glennie19

KLJ:  glad you were able to get some helpful advice!!

elimar:  i was also lucky that insurance covered the test!! That thing is HUGELY expensive.

• ncollett

I had a CXR today so we will see what it says. I should hear something tomarrow hopefully on that. I am on Keflex and Cipro right now to get me over this cough but I have been on antibiotics for over a month now. Frustrating... 

• glennie19

that's a long time to be on antibiotics!!  i hope you get some answers soon.

• ncollett

Yes it is and I hope I do as well. I dont like being on antibiotics for this long. I was sweating so bad last night that I would wake up with puddles of sweat on my legs and chest, has anyone else had that ?

• Tomboy

ncollet, that sounds like annarborB symptoms to me, or, maybe you are in early pre-menopause? Have they done all the other imaging tests? has your onc suggested being tested for i think its called: Li-Fraumeni syndrome? its  blood test i think, that will give them a lot of info about you, especially with those specific types of cancer running through your family..

Elimar, thank you so much for your picture information, i had no idea there was even such a thing. i wonder which came first, the phrase people use, or that? guess i will go put my googles on..

oh yeah, ncollet. if you do have that syndrome (L-F), then they would want to think twice about giving you radiation.

• 3rdtimenow
    3rdtimenow Member Posts: 126

Hi ladies, done done done last RX treatment today. Hugs to all

• KLJ

3rdtimenow, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• glennie19

Congratulations!!!!

• ncollett

No they havent but I see my MO on Wed so maybe he will check for that.

• jbokland
    jbokland Member Posts: 275

ugh.  This explains so much.   Wine was NOT my friend: