Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,313

Eli - I love your header. The only problem is I start to hum Meatloaf whenever I check into this thread.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

MinusTwo - you must be talking about a different picture than the one I'm seeing.

I don't even know what I'm seeing. Surrealist art is what it looks like but I can't even make up a story to go with it. Well, I will say the woman is the real thing in the picture. And the men think they're real but they're really bugs and she's about to squash them. HAHA!

Yes, where is everybody? For me, I've actually been working in my yard for the first time in YEARS! Well, it's not much of a yard - it's really like living in the forest but I do have some landscaping close to the house and I've trimmed it, fertilized it and planted about 2 dozen annuals here and there. And I feel like doing more but it's expensive!! Especially since I just found out for the first time in a long time I owe $2000 in taxes. Ugh! What a downer! Now I'm just going to have to get in debt to get my new patio furniture. Haha, nothing stops me from a good deal!

Speaking of being a shopaholic - okay, I'll call it retail therapy - I'm getting ready to open my own store selling everything I bought over the last 5-10 years that is just too nice to give away. And I think I have enough stuff to keep that store open for about 8 months! I know, I'm ashamed. But I got some great deals! I'll never forget this designer coat that didn't fit me so I called people up and said, "Hey, it's regularly $220 you can get it for $20!" Twenty damn dollars and no takers! So I bought it! Now I have to sell it. But I'll get a lot more than $20 for it. So I'm kind of looking forward to getting some of the clutter out of here. Whatever I don't sell I'll give to Salvation Army (or whichever one it is where the founder doesn't make over $600,000 per year from people's donations, for crying out loud!)

And while the store is going on I'm hopefully going to do some renovations around here. I have an English Tudor style home with huge attics and I want to bump out one of the attics and make a room out of it. Shouldn't be too hard, right? ;)

Oh, wait! For me the addictive foods are French Fries and M&Ms - especially the peanut butter M&Ms. And no matter what people say about McDonald's, I still think they have the best french fries. Everyone else tries something different, but no cigar! Is that a saying or did I screw that up?

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

heartandsoul: close, but no cigar! thats magritte at the top, and nothing he paints is real. he was the one who painted the pipe, and then wrote on the painting that it wasn't real. But i AM curious as to what elimar was thinking...

i think i finally ate enough mango gummies....

• minustwo

heartandsoul - yes, last weeks header picture was "objects in the rear view mirror..."

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Well, sister art afficionados, to me that image at the top (Magritte--so A+ Tomboy!) was a woman discovering her cancer (although her face isn't really horrified enough for that, is it?) and the little men represent the doctors who have not yet found a cure; therefore, the cancer is bigger than they are. The rock (cancer) does look a little chipped away tho' and has a few dents in it. Also, the woman's world is turned upside down, otherwise, she could be looking straight in. That's what came to my mind.

-------------------------

You know I like to find appropriate art to suit us. Otherwise it could wind up as a whole thread of cat memes (and the apologies to all my cat-meme-loving BC sisters just go without saying!!!)

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Excellent interpretion of that painting, Elimar.

• Tomboy

yeah, AND the woman is bigger than the docs, tooooo

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

Great interpretations!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Her look is from the initial conversation that occurs before the horrifying part hits. It's the "WTF did you say?" look.

• heartnsoul76
    heartnsoul76 Member Posts: 1,204

Haha, I think my interpretation was skewed by the man-hating mood I'm in right now. I want to squash them!

• eph3_12

we only need 509 more posts to hit 30, 000. Surely we can do that by the thread's birthday. Come on middies!!!!

I sold my house! If all goes well, I need to be out a month from today. You all may or may not remember I lost my job in January. Been looking since and it's a pit!!!! but I have been hired by the state forestry as a wildfire dispatcher once fire season starts. It will last as long as fire season (which may be longer than normal as we have NO snowpack). In the meantime, continuing to look for a permanent position. In the running for a job here as well as a couple further north. Here's hoping!!!!

I need a job that provides some type of bennies so I can go see doctors when I need to etc. I never used to go, even when I should, but now that I can't it's all I want to do when something's going on, like this cough that's pushing 3 weeks-aarrgghh!

• elimar

Eph, I was just thinking the same thing (wondering if we could hit 30,000 posts by Aug. 22.) Wouldn't that be something? What, exactly, I don't know..but something!

I'm am LMBO that now, without bennies, all you want to do is get doctored up. I get that. Don't know what you've got til it's gone, huh? Keep me posted on the job prospects. If you get the forestry job, you will be able to quip, "Hey, do we have a wildfire happening or is that just my hot flash?"

• Jeeper4
    Jeeper4 Member Posts: 13

I will join in on helping to reach the 30,000 posts. I'm 51, 2 in college and 2 at home. Was diagnosed in Dec. so just trying to get thru this chit and keep it together. :)

• glennie19

Eph:  congrats on selling the house!  Hoping your job search bears more fruit soon, than a temporary job,,, having bennies is nice. When does the fire season start?  My friend's mom used to climb the tall towers and watch for wildfires.  There is no way I'd ever been able to climb that high. 

Adding to the number of posts!

• eph3_12

The dispatch job will start when fire season starts. Usually late June, but I'm thinking it will be sooner this year due to all you East Coasters stealing our snoW!

• minustwo

As some of you may know, I'm a little bit past even the "ish" portion of 60, but I sure do want to add posts to this thread to make the B-day goal. I'm a devoted reader. What a great bunch of ladies.

• cheesequake
    cheesequake Member Posts: 68

I'm 41, so I'll throw my hat into the thread. Hi all :)

• Tomboy

Welcome, Cheesequake! I saw you somewhere else, and I wondered how you made your name? Cracked me up!

• cheesequake
    cheesequake Member Posts: 68

Apparently there is a town called Cheesequake in New Jersey. I'm on the opposite side of the country, but I love cheese (its right up there with sweet things as my favorite things on earth to eat!) and I thought it was such a fantastic word I had to adopt it as my own. In my head I imagine it very loud, in all caps, with an exclamation point! :D thank for the welcome!

• nativemainer

Eph--Congrats on the fire dispatch job!And selling the house!And for being in the running for a couple permanent jobs!

• nativemainer

Welcome, Cheesequake! Love the name, and the story behind it!

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275

Eph, I am so glad you found a new job. My DH and I have been praying for you. Fire agencies are like one big family. I loved working for one (before kids).

Cheesequake... sounds like what is going on with my bum and thighs! LOL I love the name!

Do these hot flashes last forever? If I lived alone... or just DH and I.... I think I would just wear a simple dress and remove it several times a day when the flashes hit.

• nativemainer

PoppyK--I had hot flashed the entire time I was on arimidex. Now I'm having them due to natural menopause. The first go round lasted 5 years, not sure how long this round will last!

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

I was thrown into surgical menopause at 38, HOT FLASHES WERE AWFUL.  At the time, I could take estrogen supplements but after a few years, did not want to take them anymore.  I drank quite a bit of Soy Milk and believe it or not, it really did help!!!

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

Eph:  just read your post about this forum's upcoming birthday!  Since I turn 51 in June, I will make sure to visit this forum more often for sure!  I do read quite a bit and don't post as often as I should but since I am out here, I SHOULD POST!

• elimar

Mornin', lady-sister-girls! Welcome to all newer ones. Guess I better get out the cheese platter of hospitality...

Now, going to search the internet for something my husband mentioned yesterday...about effectiveness of Tamoxifen being boosted by two cups of daily coffee. He told me he "heard something." Anyone else hear or see that? I'm off the Tamox. now, and more of a tea drinker, but still interested to know.

• minustwo

Elimar - let us know if your coffee research turns up the rumor that it keeps minds bright & clear and keeps ALS at bay.

• elimar

Hmmm, the news (yesterday) about the coffee seems to be a redux of what was in the news last year at this time, and not so much "new" news. It's still the Swedish study, and here it is from last year...

Coffee + Tamox.

• glennie19

Speaking of coffee:

Yesterday's quote on my calendar:

"What would life be without coffee?  But then, What is it even with coffee?"    -----King Louis XV, 18th century French monarch.

• eph3_12

Good threading everyone!!! Keep it up.

Welcome to the cheesequake. And dogsneverlie!! both great avatar names!