Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Maybe if you dusted more, you wouldn't have gotten BC!

(JOKING!!! But seriously, my dust collects all by itself.) Loopy

Oddswinner, welcome! We were just remarking that cancer does not seem to follows the rules very well, and I am sorry you had to find that out too. What chemo are you doing, how long until surgery? Hope you feel well enough for a few days out of your chemo cycle to get some kayaking in. Once they carve on you, you will have to layoff the paddling for a while.

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

Age is the main reason we develop cancers of any kinds.

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

Welcome Odds! Sorry you are here but from your post, you should fit right in. Always loved Linda Blair!!!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,313

Welcome Odds. What sticks in my head is Rosemary's Baby? The laughs are what I love about this thread and why I can't seem to graduate to an "older" thread.

I love the dust theory. In fact finally getting BC gave me such freedom - I no longer worry about dusting at all. Whew. So glad dust doesn't cause pregnancy.

• elimar

I know that Memorial Day focuses on Veterans, but please do take a moment this weekend to remember the wonderful friends of this thread that are no longer with us:

PauldingMom (Lisa)

reesie (Marie)

Marybe

cmbear (Claire)

I probably missed a few, especially if they were not habitual posters here, and I am not listing the many from other threads that we may frequent; but, think of them as well.

While we are upbeat and talk a lot about moving past BC, some never get to do that. I don't write much about it, but I cannot tell you how many times I have thought of those four Middie sister-girls. They made me laugh & then they made me cry.

• SizzleStitch
    SizzleStitch Member Posts: 17

Hi everyone. I have posted on a few other forums but think and hope I will fit in here.

You will have to excuse any mistakes as I just had FINAL chemo yesterday and have a bit of chemo brain.

I promise to go back and try to read most of the postings when I can and get to know you all :-). Although, I am terrible about remembering posts for too long and seem to just remember the lasts ones I read...age thing :-/..or stress....Lord only knows ...

OddsWinner, I want you to know I am just a bit ahead of you. I was diagnosed in late Oct/early November with Triple Negative BC. I caught it early (everyone please tell everyone to ask for a 3D Mamo if they still need them and can get it..it was what caught mine for sure). I was 59 then but have turned 60 since. I had a double mastectomy with immediate nipple sparring reconstruction.

If you would like to ask me any questions, I will do my best to answer. I can only answer about how it went for me and my personal experiences. I keep away from googling things as they are a bit frightening. I have wonderful doctors that I trust and have given me great information and advice. When I want to know something else specific, I ask my DH to look it up for me :-).

I want you to know, I feel pretty darn good. My surgery went pretty easy. I felt I didn't want to go through doing it again so that made my decision for me as far as surgery.

Sorry, rattling on....steroids...

• elimar

Hello, SizzleStitch. Thanks for some Triple Neg perspective. We have a little of everything here.

Oh, and Oddswinner, I hope you did not think that I was being all gung-ho Amazon expecting you to kayak through your chemo---but I do know that some wind up with enough energy to have a few active days in there. If, on the other hand, you just feel like couching it, just do that. This is not a group of Superwomen...we understand the wiped out feeling well.

• patrn10
    patrn10 Member Posts: 110

Sizzle, 3-D caught mine too! I am a believer in them now.

• SizzleStitch

PatRN10, yes,I am on a mission to pass the word on the 3D mammograms. I had mammograms every year since I was around 35. They called me in for ultra sounds several years ago, two years I a row but "all was fine" as it was the passed few years with the regular mammograms. This year right after getting my script for my yearly Mamo, I saw the 3D one on TV and it was available near me so I called my doctor and asked if I could get it. She said she thought it was a good idea so I made the appointment for one. After I had it, I was called the next morning to return and knew right away I had breast cancer.

Please pass the word everyone. 💖

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

Oddswinner--Thank God indeed for the coping ability that increases as we age!

Maca--Good for you for being in the Sister Study. It takes years, and sometimes decades of gathering and analyzing data to make any conclusions. Each bit of data moves us a bit closer to true understanding of how cancer works.

Prayers and remembrance forPauldingMOm, Reesie, Marybe, cmbear, and all others lost to the beast.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Welcome: Odds and Sizzle!  Odds-- yes, boobs are overrated! LOL!  Love your sense of humor.   Sizzle-- good to see you over here!

Will be thinking of those who have passed on this Memorial Day weekend.

• glennie19

oh,, just saw the new picture!   Lovely !!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,313

You know, I never see Cheeto's comments anymore so I thought I'd share my morning. Woke up at 4am for absolutely no reason. Finally turned on the light & started reading at 4:30. I'm sure not getting up at that hour. By 6:30 I couldn't go back to sleep since I had a commitment at 8am to register neighbors for the community pool. So I opened a bag of Cheetos and had breakfast in bed. True story - and I ate 1/4 of the bag before i managed to stop myself.

• elimar

Breakfast of Champions, MinusTwo!!!!

• nativemainer

• SizzleStitch

Cheetos!!! One of my all time favorites. I love the fried nubby type❤️

I am diabetic (type 2) but can still sneak in some now and then.... Two more days of the steroids after my last treatment... When that sugar number gets down... I am grabbing me a bag...may wash it down with a glass of wine :-). I am so ready to celebrate.

Thanks for the welcome here.

• Oddswinner
    Oddswinner Member Posts: 13

Thank you all for the fine welcome! I love to laugh, it's good for you and besides I think a good belly laugh is exercise, all that moving & jiggling around!

But, seriously, right now I do a Trial that includes a large dose of Chemo (ugly juice) every three weeks, and that is this Friday, so although it's my best week (feeling good), it's also my scary week (subconscious takes over).

On a lighter note, it's finally summer in New England and my gardens are starting to bloom! So enjoy and don't forget to smell those flowers, just keep your noses away from the bees.

• nativemainer

Good advice about noses and bees!

• deborah2012
    deborah2012 Member Posts: 58

Hi middies,

I had a birthday a couple of weeks ago and a small vacation with DH. I remember wondering a few years ago if I'd make it to 59. Now, over 3 yrs. later, I find myself wondering if I'll make the magical 5 yr. time period recurrence free?

ASCO was in the news tonight due to its annual convention- in Chicago this year. If anyone else likes reading medical breast cancer (or any other cancer for that matter) 2015 latest research abstracts. Here it is. Just enter in the search box whatever type of cancer you're interested in.

http://abstracts.asco.org/156/IndexView_156.html

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    • Hi ladies. Have been MIA as I was finishing up the chore of moving out of my home for 18.5 Yrs, seeing Robert Plant, if Led Zepplin fame, up close & personal in concert & trying to locate a rental (currently couch surfing). Ugh!! And wowza and ugh again. Am typing this 1 finger on phone. Can't wait to get into rental around the 15th & have PC back up.
  • elimar

Enjoyed reading about the Cheetos and wine pairing. Little does Sizzle realize, but that is how all the Cheetos talk began. They went so well with that red wine that we were drinking because the red wine was supposed to be protective whilst going thru' rads.

Oddswinner, Yes, it sure is "ugly juice!" How was it this time around?

Deb2012, Thanks for the link about the ASCO Convention. I DO try to pay attention to what gets presented there.

I can second the loveliness of New England right now because I was just out there on a road trip to retrieve eldest son (and meet his new fiance!!!!!) We will have him back for a month or so before he heads off to a conference/research/study in Europe for about a year. I thought of you ladies throughout the Northeast, and I was very close to some of you too, but time constraints were tight and we were lucky to squeeze in the relatives.

imageimageimage

• glennie19

Hi Eph,, UGH on the couch surfing, but Woo-hoo on seeing Robert Plant!!  The 15th will be here soon!

Lovely flowers Elimar.

• nativemainer

Eph--sofa surfing, yikes, praying the rental process goes smoothly!

Elimar--Must be nice having the son home before his European trip. Great pics!

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

oh, eph, couch surfing!? So many memories to go thru with the packing up a house lived in fro many years. So is all your stuff in storage? Counting down the days with you. Find more distractions like good ol" Robert. Is his hair still long?

My cousin who wanted to come live with me decided she didn't like it here and turned tail and ran back to Hawaii. (thank you, cold front) She has gotten very timid and anxious. I hate to say it, but she made me feel better about my life. It was good to see her and reconnect, but she needs more than I can give. She was concerned about my upcoming procedure and would I have to be gone overnight. Sheesh, really? Anyway she was a good distraction for me for about a week.

It is pretty here in the spring with all the flowers, eli. Enjoy your boy!

• Freygea
    Freygea Member Posts: 217

Hello everyone! I just knew I would find this group eventually.

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

welcome, frey (to the fray) (couldn't resist.) We were all just waiting for you to show up.

• MizMimi
    MizMimi Member Posts: 21

I guess this is me. I'm 44 with a diagnosis of DCIS and aggressive surgery planned for July. Nice to meet all of you!!!!

• Oddswinner
    Oddswinner Member Posts: 13

Hey Everyone, hope you all are enjoying your Spring/almost summer. I just finished planting all the plants I have, since we moved in last 2014, it's been a slow progression. But now I have no room for anymore, nor do I want to. I thought wow I'm handing around the gardens too much, I'm hearing lots of buzzing, then I realized it's me, I now have a permanent ringing in my ears, it's a PIA, but a good excuse too if I don't want to listen to someone, I can blame it on the ringing Loopy. . I have some good news I'd like to share. Back in March when I started this journey my tumor was the size of a golf ball, after three horrible infusions of my "ugly juice" they couldn't measure it last time! Happy Dance!! I know that may not mean it's gone, but it's better. One more to go in the Trial, then we talk surgery.

Enjoy the sunshine Peeps, get those hands dirty.

• glennie19

YAY for shrinkage !!!ThumbsUp

• elimar

Oddswinner, That is great news (except for the ringing in the ear...be sure to mention that to the docs.)

Hello Newbies!

MizMimi, Are you positive on the BRCA gene?

Freygea, That's a new one...what is the TC on your Dx of IDC_TC?