Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

MIDDLE-AGED WOMEN 40-60ish

Comments

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700

I haven't, mac, but now I am curious. But, if it works the same way, wouldn't it cause the same problems? I am gonna go and look it up, I am so sick of taking that little pain-making pill. I have tried all of them, except for aromasin. I am back on tamoxifen, and for only about 3 months, and am only just now beginning to feel it's little dastardly sneaky attack on my sense of well being.

• Tomboy

I thought for sure, that that would take us to page 1000! I wish I could forget about that, but, I have to keep coming and looking, to see when the party gets started! I absolutely know that quality over quantity matters in everything, except dollars. So, I am gonna go and round up some tasty snacks, shake out my party dress, and get crackin!

• Tomboy

And then, I am sure, that when it actually happens, I am gonna be so caught up in some minor aspect of my walking around life, I will miss it completely! Elimar, thanks for creating such a great space.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845

Mac, I would be careful with an herbal AI. This whole business of balancing the estrogens etc. is not, as far as I have been able to discover, based in reliable science. At least ask your doc about it.

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833

Myomin supplement ingredients, capsules, side effects for sale

Each 2 capsules of Myomin contains:
    Aralia dasyphyllia Mig. 200 mg
    Cucuma zedoria 200 mg
    Cyperus rotundus 200 mg
    Smilax glabra Roxb. 200 mg

According to the manufacturer: "Myomin, a Chinese herbal formula, is a natural aromatase inhibitor. Aromatase converts androgens into estrogen. My inhibiting this effect less estrogen becomes produced. In one study of 60 females estradiol levels decreased from 74 pg/ml to 38 pg/ml after 10 days. Myomin also competes with estradiol at the cellular estrogen receptor. It also increases interferon, Il-2 and TNFa."

I am a pharmacist,, and I have no idea what any of those ingredients are.   Time for research.
  • treelilac
    treelilac Member Posts: 138

They all sound like extracts from herbs.

As I read the story, I thought to myself at least it was not a drone. :)

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200

I know, it sounds to good to be true. And I have found my body really likes estrogen. I had a terrible time on Arimidex and had too much bone loss. So was switched to tamoxifen, but am now having uterine issues. I asked why wouldn't I get the same side effects from Myomin as I get from Arimidex and my chiropractor said because it is all natural ingredients it wouldn't affect my body like the chemical form. I am going to talk to both my PCP and MO this week about it. But I get tired of these doctors contradicting each other.

Glennie, am looking forward to your opinion.

I had a perfect day today. My DD and her friends took me out sailing. They had packed a picnic lunch. It was wonderful. When we came in we went swimming at the beach. Then I ordered some BBQ from a restaurant in town and we chowed down. I think that will satisfy my desire for a birthday party for my DD who turns 28 on Tuesday. It was really nice of them to let an "old lady" tag along.

Tree, seeing a drone flying over the dog park would have pushed me over the edge. Welcome by the way, have we seen you here before? Don't mind me if you've been here for a while, I have a mind like a sieve.

• treelilac
    treelilac Member Posts: 138

I'm just thinking if each herbal extract has multiple ingredients, some active ingredients but others necessary for absorption/conjugation etc, just listing the herbs is not very helpful for consumers.

I don't post often but definitely want to help reach the admirable goal of 1,000 pages! :D

• Momine

Mac, the chiro is giving you a classic line of BS, namely that "natural" medicine doesn't have the nasty SEs of the "poison" put out by "big pharma."

The SEs of the hormone blockers are mainly the SEs associated with being deprived of estrogen so that the cancer can remain starved of estrogen. If the myomin doesn't have those SEs, then it is most likely not blocking estrogen effectively. Very simple.

• glennie19

Momine is correct.  "Natural" medicine can and will have SE's. Pharmacy started with plant based medicine after all. Digoxin, a heart med, is derived from the plant foxglove.  It helps to control the heartbeat, and it could be used to kill someone. So natural, yes,,, side effects,, for sure.   St John's Wort also comes to mind as a "natural" medicine that has side effects and many drug interactions.  

• glennie19

Aralia dasyphyllia Mig. 200 mg = possibly cytotoxic, being studied in Asia

Cucuma zedoria 200 mg =  white turmeric, a rare spice, used in cooking. essential oil used in soap and perfume. No mention of medicial use.

Cyperus rotundus 200 mg = also known as nut grass, java grass, purple nut sedge. Has been used in traditional Chinese medicine as the primary qi regulating herb.  Ayurvedic medicine uses it for digestive problems, fevers, dysmenorrhea & other illness.  Tubers may have antibacterial properties.

Smilax glabra Roxb. 200 mg. = used in Chinese herbology. This one has a mention on the MSKCC website, but it doesn't mention anything about Anti-estrogen properties. https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medicine/herbs/smilax-glabra

When I'm at work tonight, I'll check the ingredients on a program that I can only access at work and get back to you.

• Momine

Glennie, that is what I found too. I also found some health blog which said that some people experience bloating as a side effect of the myomin. On your list there is mention of using one of the herbs for dysmenorrhea. Both things would make me pause if I were hoping to block estrogen with this remedy.

• staynsane
    staynsane Member Posts: 196

Drum roll please.............! We now have 1,000 pages to celebrate!

• glennie19

Wow, 1000 pages!!  Pretty cool!  Very close to 30,000 posts too.

Yes, Momine, I would have reservations about taking myomin.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,312

Hot dog - 1000 pages. After i post this we only need 25 more posts to make 30K. No problem, since we have all week. I know we'd all like to honor Elimar for starting & continuing this thread. She is a gem.

• Tomboy

Plus, we have to remember a chemical structure is a chemical structure, weather it grew in the dirt or a lab. We just want you to last, Mac!

• macatacmv

of course, my PCP poo pooed the idea of taking myomin since it is not a regulated "drug". She is sending me to a nutritionist. She is concerned because my weight is starting to creep back up. I lost over 50 lbs 2 years ago on a strict "shake" diet. At the time it was easy, I was desperate and not feeling good. Now I don't want to go back on such a strict diet. But I have gained back 10 lbs. She says all the pain I feel is from the fibromyalga which translates into inflammation. So if I lose the weight the inflammation goes down too. She keeps saying remember how good you felt when you weighed less and I search my memory for that memory, but really just remember being hungry alot. But I know it is the right thing to do. And if I felt better I would exercise more. She also wants me to switch my thinking that pain equals something wrong. It is just my body has a lot of pain. Man, that just seems wrong.

Yay!!!! we made it to tne next page whoo whoo!!!!!

• Momine

Tomboy, exactly. The taxanes are synthetic versions of a substance in yew trees. The yew trees are endangered, so they make the drug in a lab. Works for me.

I WISH there were some gentle, efficacious remedy that would do the job of the AIs with fewer SEs. In 4 years of reading a lot of cancer stuff, I have yet to come across anything credible. I am also really dubious about claims of "balancing" hormones. I have yet to find anything scientific and credible to back it up or even just explain properly how it is supposed to work.

AIs distinctly UNbalance your hormones. That is how they starve the cancer

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,885

Lookie, lookie, lookie and...

...here we are at 1,000 pages. Gosh it only feels like eight hundred and twenty seven!

Yes, this is certain to be a week of convergence as I think it will not be too hard to hit 30,000 posts now.

Then, the big THREAD-VERSARY on Saturday. I will try and check in daily this week and I encourage not only the "regulars," but the "lurkers," "the seldoms," the "Ish-es," and any anyone of "celebrity status" (oh, especially you) to stop in, say hello, give us an update, and par-tay!

But remember, we will STOP on a dime to consider the needs of any distraught Newbies that might wander into our midst during this festive week. Stop long enough to read, inform, support, and hand 'em a snack-size bag o' Cheetos. The usual.

• elimar

All of our anti-hormonals are not created equal. Some block circulating estrogen at the cellular level, and some block the creation of estrogen in the first place. If one anti-hormonal is intolerable, you could have better luck with another, because the mechanisms are different. But some of the general loss-of-estrogen SEs (like the hot flashes) are unavoidable either way.

The herbal and "natural" supplements certainly may interact with some of our treatment drugs, so best to check with a doc before taking. However, since not many docs are versed in complimentary or alternative, you might just have to rely on your own research. I tend to agree with Momine, that scientific research has not backed up any of the claims about balancing the hormones.

p.s. Mac, your dog has a real "tail" to tell now. Winking

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,312

Perfect header for a count-down week. Large surprises on the way.

I saw a funny play yesterday - Love, Loss, and What I Wore by Nora & Delia Ephron. It that doesn't ring a bell, Nora is the lady who wrote When Harry Met Sally and Sleepless in Seattle, as well as that wonderful book How I Feel About My Neck: And Other Thoughts. The play is 5 ladies telling stories about their clothes through the years, teen clothing arguments w/mums, their senior prom dresses, their first bras, their poodle skirts, their boots, their "I don't have anything to wear" moments, etc. If if comes to a town near you, it's worth grabbing some girl friends and going.

• glennie19

Mac,  I have fibro too, so I hear you about the "pain all the time"!!  It sucks. Have you tried a low carb diet, like Atkins/Paleo/Primal/South Beach?  I have to stick to that type of diet or my weight immediately goes up.  No bread, pasta, white potatoes. Limit rice or cut it out altogether. Focus on protein and veggies and whole fruits, not juices.   Just a thought to be able to eat real food and not shakes. It may or may not work for you, but I swear by it.   And it is damn hard to exercise when you hurt all the time. BOOOOOO  on fibro.

Party on the 22nd!!  Woo-hoo!!

Edit:  sounds like a great play!

• Momine

Glennie, I agree on diet being a big help. I don't do a specific diet, but I focus on veggies, legumes, whole grains and fish. Many of these foods are also anti-inflammatory, so they do help with joint pain etc

• loral
    loral Member Posts: 818

WE MADE IT!!!!image

• macatacmv

glennie, I still have not wrapped my mind around this fibro stuff. To tell you the truth I was having fun eating again. I love to cook. But I really want to feel at least good enough. So a new "diet" it will be. I eat sooo much better than I ever did before while my kids were little. As my PCP and I said today it is a slow process, but it is progressing.

I think I might go back to my GYN to see if she could check for an infection (since the procedure) This is a very specific pelvic pain.

We are going to slam dunk this anniversary. Let's get this virtual food and drink ready for Saturday!

• elimar

I amazes me that there is a rather high ration of us here who have Fibromyalgia. No ties to cancer (yet discovered anyway.)

I have had it for about 10 years. Food definitely can worsen it, but I can't quite figure out why that is. I mean specifically why. I do know if I eat restaurant or prepared foods, my hands and feet flare up. I think it might be MSG type flavor enhancers that set it off. Maybe excess salt. I remember something about the oxalic acid in spinach being bad for FM too. When I have time to be diligent about it, I would like to try what Momine has mentioned already...a diet of foods that have anti-inflammatory properties. Before all this cancer stuff, I was trying to get to the bottom of my FM, but then the "cancer studies" took over.

Weirdly, like I mentioned another time, I did not notice the FM for the 6 mos. of chemo and for about 6 mos. after that. That's another mystery.

• glennie19

That really is a mystery with the chemo, Elimar. There are a lot of us with fibro.  Very strange.

I should really try to incorporate anti-inflammatory into my diet too. I need to keep better track of what flares me up. Doesn't sound like fun at all. I gave up cake and cookies,,, I want to keep my ice cream!!

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,909

Yeah! 1000 pages!

I've noticed a lot of women on the boards also have fibro, and wonder if there is a connection somewhere.

• KJSUN
    KJSUN Member Posts: 17

Well, I'm back! I ended up with a fever of 101.5, which for me is a lot, my normal temp is between 96-97 degrees. I had to go to the oncologist's office the next day and they gave me some meds..My fever broke the day after so I feel much better. We are waiting on test results. It was a busy week. Monday I get chemo again so I hope things are better by then.

MinusTwo, macatacmv, elimar and glennie - there are so many things that you all bring up. I miss a few days and try to play catch up.

My Fibro has been around more than 12 years and I notice that my body seems to focus on whatever is the strongest or painful thing going on at the time. I have started to turn my diet toward the Paleo. I feel like the less processed the better, and even the beef or chicken I buy is grass fed beef and the chicken has never had antibiotics. I don't buy much fish because the quality here is not great. Just writing about it makes me think how far I have gotten away from it recently and I don't feel good. I need to change that now!

I checked on the Magic Mouthwash and it has the Nystatin, Lidocaine, and two other ingredients. Plain Nystatin tastes better but as long as it helps.

Okay, question for everyone - if you have had the Neulasta shot, did you have anything that felt like muscle spasms in your lower back? I get my chemo on Monday, shot on Tues. and the spasms start Friday and last 3 days. The PA at my oncologist's office says it is bone pain. I don't see how bone pain would make my body shake each time it flares. It feels terrible. Pain I can deal with, but this is so bad. I just realized my neuropathy has gotten worse, that sucks.

Congrats on 1000 posts!

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwzDxp2TC7I

AT LAST, 1000 PAGES! Thanks Middies, for getting me through all the lonely days & nights while undergoing this journey!!!!