Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Middle Aged Memories

Options

Comments

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    Options

I remember my mother dressing  us in our Sunday Best to fly on an airplane when I was three.  My brother got the pilot wings and my sister and I got Stewardess pins...not flight attendant pins.

We flew Continental: They really move their tails for you 

I'm Meece, Fly me.

Fly the friendly skies of United

Up, Up and Away with TWA

• kjbell
    kjbell Member Posts: 454
    Options

And you got your choice of an entree!

• Meece
    Options

Remember when the people who took you to the airport could go into the waiting area with you, and when you walked off the plane your greeter was right there at the opening to the walkway?

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

You can't travel very far on this, but getting there was a lot of fun...Hoppity Hop!

Photobucket"

• Meece
    Options

I always wanted one, but had to settle for playing on the one's my friends had.

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    Options

I was too uncoordinated to get them to work !

• Meece
    Options

My legs always seems to be too long, there was no bounce for me.  I was awkward and uncoordinated.  Was?  I am.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,816
    Options

I can remember when the local airport had an observation deck--anybody could go up there anytime to watch the planes come and go, didn't even need to be meeting someone coming in! 

The thing I remember about the Hippity Hop was not being allowed to use it indoors, and the sticks and stone in the yard popped it the very first day while my sister was using it.  I never got to try it at all. 

• We never had one of those balls.....probably we were too uncordinated to use one since both my sister and I broke off front teeth growing up....me going over the handles of my bike and she falling from a sliding board going down on her stomach. I wonder if those exercise balls they have out now got the idea from them.   The name  hoppity......does anyone remember a frog catoon, Hoppity Hooper? 

• MTG
    Options

Cant say I do, but the alliteration in the name reminds me of another cartoon, Tennessee Tuxedo, a penguin.

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 759
    Options

I had a hoppity hop.  Do you remember the cereal boxes that would have record on the back of the box?  A 45 I beleive - I think I got the archie's sugar sugar.  Does anyone remember Quisp cereal?

• Meece
    Options

I remember the records, and they worked, for awhile.  I also remember, for grownups, that some magazines like Look or Life had little vinyl records in tem, they were so flimsy you had to put an lp under them, and sometimes, they just wouldn't spin because the weight of the needle was too much.

My son got me one of those reporduction record players so I could play my lps and 45s again.  Once in awhile, I get a notion, and play record after record.

• kjbell
    Options

Aprilgirl1-Every so often, the grocery store by us sells Quisp. I loved it, and still do. But at $4 a box (and the box is small) I don't buy it very often. I remember blasting the 45 of "Rockin' Robin" by the Jackson 5. Those were the days.

• MTG
    Options

I think my earliest album was Alvin and the Chipmunks. My Mother probably still has them somewhere.

• Meece
    Options

MTG:  I got my first record player, the box style with a handle in flourescent green.  I received two albums, the Chimunks' Christmas Song and It's a Small World.

I have my mother and my uncle's oldie records.  1950-something Rock Around the Clock and Unchained Melody (Think Ghost) and many more.

• kjbell
    Options

Me and my friends used to "collect" aluminum cans and flatten them with a hammer. Then my dad would take us to turn them in for money-remember back then you got paid by the pound! (Now that I think of it, I'm not even sure they were aluminum-some kind of steel blend?)

• Meece
    Options

Do you remember having soda bottle drives?  Going door to door for a youth group, and asking everyone for their bottles?

• elimar
    Options

I don't remember bottle drives, but I do remember going with a friend many a time to search through the tall weeds on the vacant lot on the corner to get a couple of bottles to convert into penny candy money. This was back before the big "Please, please...Don't be a Litterbug" campaign, so the lot always had a few bottles carelessly discarded there.

• Meece
    Options

The trick with a pop bottle drive was to get an adult to drive their truck, drop us off at one end of the block and wait at the other end for us to bring the bottles.

• cindoe
    cindoe Member Posts: 17
    Options

Remember how many tv channels you got when u were a kid? I remember when I was a kid we had a antenna on a pole.When we wanted to watch something my dad went out with a pipe wrench and turned it till we said STOP!

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    Options

How about rabbit ears on the tv, with some aluminum foil on the "ears" to enhance the picture?

• Meece
    Options

I remember our b & w television when I was little the big dial had 2-13 + UHF and the "fine tuning" dial found the rare channel from outside your area.   

•   We used to watch the test pattern on the screen until it was time for shows to come on. The first time we ever saw a show in color was on our neighbor's television and we went over there to watch Peter Pan. Is that your Xmas tree for this year Meece?....all decorated and looking lovely?  I remember we used to get fruit and nuts in our Xmas stockings.....would children today stand for such a thing? 

• nativemainer
    Options

An orange in the toe, a banana sticking out the top. a handful of nuts and a bunch of little goodies in between was the stocking stuffing pattern as I was growing up. We could go get the stockings as soon as we woke up Christmas morning, and we had to eat either the banana or the orange before we could open presents.  That was my mother's way of making sure we got at least one decent bit of food Christmas Day!  I doubt kids today would be able to handle the kind of stocking stuffers we got--all little, fun things, but not one thing that needed a battery.  In fact, if we got batteries in the stocking we knew there was a gift that needed batteries under the tree and that was unusual and special! 

I remember test patterns on TV.  I also remember the national anthem playing while pictures of the flag were showing just before the station went off the air for the night.  Does anyone remember family viewing time?  Shows with certain content or subjects couldn't be shown until after what was it, 8 or 9 pm?  Things have changed, haven't they?

• Meece
    Options

Wow, our mothers could have been from the same family.  I always got an orange in the toe ot my stocking, and and apple and nuts.  I think it was also done to fill the thing up.  It looked loaded.  I remember one year I took my stocking into my room and forgot about it until the orange molded!!!  Ewwwwwwwwwwwww!

Yep, that's my tree.  Because of surgery, I had DH set it up before thanksgiving, and the Monday after Thanksgiving, I sat and directed where I wanted everything put on it.  It was the easiest decorating I've done.  and I was good, I didn't even go over an re-do what anyone did.

•   My grandparents always had those same kind of nuts that Santa brought sitting in a bowl with a nutcracker, but I wasn't sharp enough to catch on.  Remember the hard candy at Xmas?...I liked the red ones that I think were supposed to look like a raspberry and they had soft red stuff in the middle.  And ribbon candy was always on hand at Xmas.  They sell the same candy still at Big Lots and places like that, and I always think of my grandmother's at CHristmas time when I see it.  I always hated candy canes, but for some reason love peppermint stick icecream. 

• Meece
    Options

I am with you on the candy canes, and pepeprmint icecream.  I loved those raspberry filled candies.  How about the hard candies that had the flower in the center?  I remember some of them tasted like licorice.

• nativemainer
    Options

I saw ribbon candy in the store the other day--haven't seen it in ages!  I remember the hard candies, too, some of them had designs in the them--stars, trees, ornaments, 

• Meece
    Options

I watched "how it's made" once and those with thees and such in them start out at a rope about five inches in diameter and then they stretch it to make those little 1/2" candies.

• elimar
    Options

Once I got a Christmas stocking with a hard, black, kind of dusty, rock shaped toy in it.