Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Middle Aged Memories

Options

Comments

• deborye
    deborye Member Posts: 2,441
    Options

You want to see middle aged memories?  Go to a Megafest Show, just went to one in Framingham  MA at the Sheraton.

Also go to my website and you will see over middle age me and some celebrities.

• LILLY1955
    LILLY1955 Member Posts: 10
    Options

Everyone thought that I ironed my hair, but I was naturally "blessed" with stick straight, fine hair that I grew down to my butt.  It came back in straight after chemo too.  I was kind of looking forward to a few curls, but it does have more body now.

I remember laying down in bed at night with my transistor (sp?) radio pressed to my ear listening to WLS in Chicago.and WWL in New Orleans..I was in Ky, but we didn't have any stations that stayed on late.

• kjbell
    kjbell Member Posts: 454
    Options

And on that transistor radio was Casey Kasem and his American Top 40 show, always on the AM dial. Loved Abba and KC and the Sunshine Band.

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    Options

Earphones were huge!  Static was the norm.

Homemade, sticky oatmeal with brown sugar for breakfast.  It stuck to our ribs for the day. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    Options

I remember waiting all morning to see the mailman pushing his cart down the street.  I was allowed to go meet Mr. Fink when he got onto our block, and I would walk with him, one hand on the cart handle, and visit with him down one side of the block, then up the other.

After the kitchen was cleaned in the evening, mother would go two houses down and sit in their yard as several neighborhood women visited as we kids played in one of the yards.  

In the afternoon, during naptime or just after, a neighbor would come down to our house with her iron and ironig board, and she and mom would iron and visit.  I loved to fill the sod e bottle with water and put the stopper with the holes back into it.  Steam ironing at its best?

• septembersong
    septembersong Member Posts: 153
    Options

And for some reason, we all (everyone I knew) ate hotdogs and baked beans for dinner--sorry, supper--on Saturday nights. The beans came from a can, but I guess at some point they were baked. Or not. All we had to do was get rid of that piece of salt pork.

My mother cooked a roast beef dinner every Sunday at noon. I can remember she and my father drank a highball (Seagrams 7 and ginger ale) before dinner. 

• Meece
    Options

We had grilled cheese sandwiches every Sunday after church.  A roast beef dinner for Sunday Supper.

When I was sick, I was an asthmatic, my mom would take me up to my grandma's house and grandma would make home made noodles for noodle soup.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,882
    Options

It did seem like our parents had certain meals for certain days of the week back then.  I seem to remember a multi-media campaign for "Wednesday is Prince Spaghetti Day."  

On a related subject, remember weird weight loss gadgets?  There was the thing that you could stand on and "twist" your waistline off.  What about the machine with the belt you put around your butt or middle to vibrate the blubber fat away?  Jack La Lane, fitness guru?

• konakat
    konakat Member Posts: 499
    Options

Tiny Tears is the first doll I remember.  I loved her -- still have a photo of me with her. 

How about hand-made dresses with smocking on the front -- those were so beautiful. I hated saddle shoes though.

Love's Baby So Soft (?) perfume spray and the lemon spray.  Cie perfume with Candace Bergen.

• Meece
    Options

Jack Lalanne is still alive.  Somewhere around 95!  He lives about 100 miles west of here, and I understand he still gets around well.  I hated his workout clothes.

I had a "Drowsy" baby doll.  She had the pull string to talk and her cloth body was in footsy jammies.  I still remmeber some of her phrases "I want another drink of water"  :But I want to stay up"  "Ilove you Mommy"  I still have her but she lost her voice.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    Options

I grew up in a 2 decker home, which are quite popular in my city. There were 6 kids on the first floor (us) and 7 cousins on the second floor. On snow days, we got the BOOT (pun intended) and had to play outside for the whole day. We could come to the back door for a change of mittens. My feet were freezing! We made forts, had serious snowball fights, often walked to a nearby park to ice skate (again, freezing feet) and would limp home just in time for supper.

My oldest sister discovered a way to sneak down cellar thru the back porch and we would huddle next to the furnace to warm up a bit. No staying inside to watch TV, that was for sure.

Boy, that's a looooonnnnnnnggg time ago, but it was fun! Sue 

• Meece
    Options

Saturday morning we would get in the station wagon with mom, head to grandma's to pick her up (since grandma didn't drive), and go grocery shopping.  We hit three different stores to get the best bargains, then home, unpack the groceries, watch a cartoon while mother packed up Dad'd lunch and off to take him his lunch.  My Dad worked 5 days a week.

My father's brakes on his truck made a high pitched squeak when he came around the corner near our house.  That was my brother and my signal to go hide behind the front door to "surprise" Daddy.  The a "walk" on top of his feet until he sat down with his newspaper until dinner.  Eat, then Daddy watched the news, took a power nap, and he was ours to play with until bathtime and bedtime.  We loved to have him read and we picked out the encyclopedia volume we wanted him to read from each night.  Oh what great memories!!!

• EWB
    EWB Member Posts: 592
    Options

Meece - playtime with Daddy sounds lovely...very much like my dad.

My very first curling iron was bought on Canal Street, NYC. It had no temp control, had a green wooden handle and a thin rod. Burnt my hair more often that I would like to admit!

• Meece
    Options

Wheelbarrow rides when Daddy was attempting to do yard work.  I have pictures of my boys in Papa's wheel barrow.  I wish I still had the wheelbarrow.

• Meece
    Options

Life was so simple then.  A tricycle that we peddled.  We went to Dh's grandson's 2nd birthday a few weeks ago.  He was given a battery operated jeep that requires seatbelts!  The kids ate the party were already fighting over who got to drive it in the street!   Where do you go from there?  We gave him clothes and Duplo building blocks.  Imagination:  that's the special gift we had back when, if we could only give it back to our heirs.

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    Options

My favorite Saturday mornings - "Book Worm Club" where they read us stories at the local public library. then to the park for playing, sailing my plastic boat, having lunch (a Fluff sandwich) and feeding crumbs to the ducks and swans. Idyllic was the word !

And who remembers Scotch Coolers ? The things Mom put in our lunch box to keep everything cold.  And why dont kids today get food poisoning without them ? 

• Meece
    Options

I remember picking out my metal lunchbox for my grammar school years.  Campus Queen with a game and magnets on the back and a beautiful prom queen and her date on the front.  My sister had the standard scotch plaid one.  My mother put a cloth tea-napkin in my lunchbox every day.  I felt so special.

• lovemyfamilysomuch
    lovemyfamilysomuch Member Posts: 762
    Options

Filling up a pitcher with water, opening a packet of Kool Aid and stirring it in with  a whole cup of sugar!  Great for summer afternoons, and homemade kool aid popsicles!!  We were so innocent!

• Meece
    Options

We were able to set up a card table and sell our koolaid for 5 cents a glass.  The mail man was about the only person who bought any.

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    Options

Meece, I am so jealous of your lunch box! My mother gave us brown paper lunch bags. The WORST was having to fold it back up and stick it in my clutch purse in jr high to re use the darn thing! Got a week or 2 out of the same bag. Sheesh. Sue

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383
    Options

My mom was forever trying to lose weight. Did anyone's mom use the diet chews called, "AIDS?" I kid you not. They were individually wrapped and were chocolate or chocolate mint flavored. She'd have one with coffee before a meal and they were supposed to curb her appetite. For me, they tasted just like candy! I'd shovel a handful of them into my mouth, along with my daily vitamins called Chocks. I had a terrible sweet tooth.

I had a Skipper metal lunch box. Remember the taste of warm milk from the Thermos? We'd have warm bologna sandwiches, with mayonnaise, a Scooter-Pie and warm milk. GAG!

• aprilgirl1
    aprilgirl1 Member Posts: 757
    Options

Anyone else have the amazing game "What shall I be?" . OMG - my sisters and I loved this game in the 70's - completely sexist - the choice of careers I think were Teacher, Actress, Stewardess, Nurse.....but  we just loved it.  I would love to find it at a garage sale - maybe I should look on ebay!

In the late 70's I had a satin shorts/baseball jacket set - so beautiful for roller skating!

• Meece
    Options

I loved Aids, I think they had several flavors. I think part of the diet aspect of them was the time it took to remove them from their little waxed paper wrappers. 

When I got into second grade I was too mature to carry a lunch box, so I got the brown bags.  My mom used to draw pictures around my name.  Everyone was jealous of my pretty paper bags, everyone except those girls whose parents could afford the preprinted flowery bags.

Aprilgirl, you just reminded me of how short the guys shorts were in the late 70s. How about the fad of the sports star guys in high school whose practice jerseys were cut shot to show their abs.  Oooh baby!

• kjbell
    Options

I think Aids was spelled with a y, Ayds. I used to babysit for a lady that ate them. She never got thin though. Anyone remember "Figurines" my shape belongs to figurines...They were kind of like a coated wafer, I think choc and choc mint were 2 of the flavors. I loved those things. How about Razzles, the confection that was a candy and a gum! And what about "tube socks", which reminds me of knee socks for boys.

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    Options

Razzles....It's a candy. No, it's a gum. ...And candy dots ? And another gum that came in a giant plastic tooth call Big Tooth.

• Meece
    Options

Can you remember the hideously bright colors that our knee socks came in?  And how about tying our pigtails and pony tails with those big strings of fluffy yarn?

• kjbell
    Options

I loved those yarn bows in my hair. When I was in 1st grade, my dad took strips of sheets (an old one from the bed) and somehow performed magic on my hair by wrapping my 2 pig tails so when I woke up I had curls like Buffy from "Family Affair".  My mom would actually hang xmas balls from the ceiling every year. My dad would measure and with nails and string make the pattern then my mom would put string on the balls and hang them. They looked beautiful. Remember sing along with Mitch...

•    Funny you should mention Family Affair....I woke up this morning trying to remember the name of the doll and finally came up with Mrs. Beasley.  See what you all are doing to me?....I am dreaming trivia from the past....in living color however, not black and white.   When you were taking about exercise equipment I recalled somethng, but this might not be the board to bring it up on.  Did anyone besides me have a Mark Eden bust developer?  It was sort of like a big pink plastic shell and it had a spring and you would push to together and then with one of the exercises you held it against the wall and pushed.  I was so excited when it arrived in the mail. 

I remember when my mother was on a metracal diet. 

• LILLY1955
    LILLY1955 Member Posts: 10
    Options

I'm jealous...I never got to have a lunch box.  My Grandmother lived across the street from the school and I always went there for lunch.

Anybody named those exercisers that were supposed to increase your bust?  Can't remember what they were called.

• lily, we must have been writing at the same time....Mark Eden.