Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Middle Aged Memories

Options

Comments

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 774
    Options

Joan Baez is 80 OMG

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

One of my favorite rockers, Alice Cooper is 73. Saw him back in Oct. 2018 and he still can rock

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

@MinusTwo

I am surprised by your longtime cigarette habit!

Always a bit shocked by the ages of the classic rockers nowadays, but Snoop Dogg being 50? Really? Gangsta Grandad!

----------------------------------

Never made a hard and fast rule about who was in the Mid-Age and who was "beyond," but it is TIME for a ruling...right here, right now:

If you can actually REMEMBER another monarch ruling Great Britain besides QEII, then let's face it, you are definitely an elder. That being said, it will simply not be allowed for anyone to post their fond memories of George IV on THIS thread. You will have to take those elsewhere. I mean it.

Will also say that when the time comes for a new monarch to take over, I will just not know how to live in that world.

Queen Eizabeth II Merry Christmas" Sticker by BubblyEgg | Redbubble

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,102
    Options

Eli - yes I smoked from age 19 to my 60s - and loved every minute of it. I quit in 2007 - the hardest thing I ever did. I no longer actively miss it every day, but I still have times I wish I could have a smoke. Luckily it doesn't last long. Nope - if I have one, it's all over. Edited to say, I quit for bone health - before cancer.

I don't personally remember King George. Whew - I'd hate to be kicked out.

But I do remember making paper chains for the Christmas tree and stringing popcorn & cranberries. And going with groups to sing to 'shut ins'. And making cut out sugar cookies to leave out for Santa (they were fun but in retrospect, not very pretty). And waking up at 5am but not being allowed to go down the stairs until our parents were up.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

I remember the goofy stuff we made as kids in school for Christmasdecorations

• elimar
    Options

Have we brought up Little Golden Books yet? What was your favorite? I have a few. I got a recent reprint of this one that only had two flesh colored Band-Aids in it, not the 6 colorful ones that came in the original I once had. I never tortured my dog with an adhesive bandage...not like the oblivious and unsupervised little Dan. Look how traumatized his dog looks already, and wait til that bandage has to come off.

• minustwo
    Options

Oh I never saw Doctor Dan. Did you know it is in the National Museum of American History?

I liked The Little Engine That Could, The Little Red Hen, and Poky Little Puppy. My son loved those & also How to Tell Time (it had clock hands that moved) I've already passed along most of the books from my childhood & also my son's. But I still have The Little Golden Mother Goose - 75 favorite rhymes. Must have been my little brothers since it was published in 1957. The price on the cover is (wait for it) $0.39. Looks like when they first came out on 1942 they were $0.25.

• elimar
    Options

Sometimes the memories just pop up out of nowhere...Milton the Monster.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

elimar, oh my gosh, I haven't thought of Milton the Monster in YEARS! :)

• m0mmyof3
    Options

I remember sharing a room with my older sis. We were only responsible for cleaning a half of our room. I used to drag my heels on cleaning my side and would always wait until my sister was done and her side was clean. Then as soon as she would leave the room, I’d mess up her side of the room and mine would miraculously be neat as a pin. She would get into so much trouble and I came out looking like a perfect angel I was such a little stinker!

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    Options

• JACK5IE
    JACK5IE Member Posts: 654
    Options

Love's Baby Soft and Maybelline Kissing Potion.

• elimar
    Options

In all these pages, I don't think anyone has mentioned that Maybelline Kissing Potion...I do remember that. One was "bubblegum."

• elimar
    Options

Meow, meow, meow, meow,

meow, meow, meow, meow,

meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow,

meow-meow, meow-meow,

meow-meow, meow-meow,

meow! meow! meow!

• elimar
    Options

The plastic unisex coin purse has been around for ages. Used to be a business advertising/promo give-away back in the day. I first used one for "lunch money."

• sunshine99
    Options

Elimar, I loved those! I remember how they smelled, too! :)

• elimar
    Options

This is two memories in one...

Right now, Tiki Bars are trending again and I remembered having a Tiki medallion at some point during my childhood. The thing about it was I made it myself one summer when Parks & Rec. operated out of my nearby school. Mine had glowing orange jewels for eyes. Very cool.

Some of you other urban kids probably remember how Parks & Rec. had summer programs centering around sports, art and group activities. The art component usually featured making lanyards and painting plaques. (My Tiki was a small ceramic that I painted.) You just could not go wrong painting a plaque...if it came out good, you had a gift for Mom; if it came out bad, well, it wasn't long before it got purposely dropped and turned into a half dozen pieces of sidewalk chalk. I think it cost 10-25 cents, depending on size, to make one. Now that was truly a golden era.

Bonus memory: The school's summer janitor, Mr. King, helped teach me to play chess. He was just a bored janitor but it was a point of pride if a kid got good enough for Mr. King to accept a challenge. (Don't worry, no cold case file scenario involved here.)

• minustwo
    Options

Ah Eli - lanyards and pot holders.

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 153
    Options

Trying to get my hair like Farrah Fawcett but I could only get the flick on one side of my hair, or the film https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxes_(film) which I really relate to, I meet some of my friends from my teenage years recently and we fell about laughing because here we were at nearly 60 talking about gardening our teenage selves could not have imagined thats how out lives would turn out.

• sunnidays
    sunnidays Member Posts: 153
    Options

Charlie perfuem

• elimar
    Options

Nowadays, even kindergartners get 100+ page, full color, school year books.

For me, it was not until high school that a yearbook was even offered. In jr. high, I think they had an 8"x12" class pics in black and white. But in elementary school, I don't remember any sort of photo op. I do remember that some older kids had AUTOGRAPH BOOKS. One nice teacher gave one to every kid in her fourth grade class, including me. That was everyone's favorite teacher. In years to come, a few posh kids showed up with autograph DOGS! That is what went thru' my mind today.

Cute 1960s Autograph Hound Stuffed Dachsund 60s Stuffed Animal Slumber Party Sleepover 60s Retro Toys & Games Stuffed Animals & Plushies

• minustwo
    Options

Oh I had one of those dogs. Mine was pink.

Anybody remember Patience & Prudence? My brain has been singing "Tonight, you belong to me" all week.

• sunshine99
    Options

Charlie perfume??? OMG, I had totally forgotten about that! How about "Every Night Shampoo" with the jingle about how you could now wash your hair every night?

• elimar
    Options

I know we have mentioned Troll Dolls a number of times, but I wanted to post this pic of one in the packaging because I remembered them being called "Wishniks" too.

1991 Uneeda Wishnik Good Luck 4" Troll Doll w/ Powder Blue Hair On Card Vintage

[[[This memory brought to you by the pronunciation of a Ukrainian last name.]]]

• minustwo
    Options

Hmmm - I remember the dolls, but not the name "Wishniks". I wonder if it's a regional thing like Best Foods vs. Hellman's mayo is the same product in different parts of the country?

• elimar
    Options

minustwo---I don't know if it was regional, or temporal. There is a whole timeline of troll copyrights. Wishniks were not the original troll dolls, but that is what was out there when I was of an age to want one. Look closely at the package. Isn't it funny how they have some troll hair sticking out...like touching it would seal the deal on a purchase!

• elimar
    Options

Here to revive your brain cells after thirty years: The Taster's Choice Gold Blend couple. I think the ads played out over some years, but lucky for us, someone made a compilation of them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsN4YwbM9kw

• minustwo
    Options

Before I watch the YouTube Eli, I just have to say my ear worm for the day has been "Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't...."

• minustwo
    Options

Great clip!! Thanks. Always nice to see you Eli. Hope all is well.

• elimar
    Options

MT, I had not looked in here for a while, but as far as your last post...yes, I carry around those candy bar jingles in my head too. The other day, I was singing this one, "Goobers are delicious peanuts covered in chocolate, Raisinettes are covered in chocolate too...Goobers & Raisinettes, Goobers & Raisinettes!

Hope this thread can come out of its dormancy. I am getting old now and it needs the memories of some new middle-aged minds.