Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Middle Aged Memories

Options
1107108109110111113»

Comments

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,058
    Options

My favourite car was an 1981 Honda Civic station wagon (Hondamatic?) It had no clutch but you changed gears and it had a choke. It went everywhere, was a sure footed as a mountain goat and carried everything, including a full sized clothes washing machine in its box!! I got it second hand in the late 1990's. Mechanics loved it. You didn't need a computer to fix anything. When it was on its last legs my mechanic tried EVERY place he could think of to get a replacement part. He was sad. I was sad. Now I have a 2006 Nissan Sentra - and it seems to be working just fine. But I don't love it like I loved my Honda.

Sometimes getting lost can be a blessing. I have discovered places and things I never would have had I had a GPS.

I tried straightening my bangs with Dippity-Doo and tape. It didn't work. I have a cowlick that cannot be controlled. In the mid-60's I wanted that "flip" with just the ends turned up and a small teased crown. My hair just won't be teased. It knotted and lay down like a cringing cur.

Even before my hair got even thinner (thank cancer drugs) , even when it as long - it was pretty much wash and go. By the time I got dressed it was mostly dry. I was happy with its parted in the middle,just to the shoulders, still looking like a flower child hairdo even when I was 50. When I see photos of friends and relatives with their frizzy bangs, poofy dos; huge padded shoulders sitting with me I am the only person NOT embarrassed by my hair looking at the photos now.

• threetree
    threetree Member Posts: 1,289
    Options

Oh wow, Elderberry, Dippity-Doo! I think I'd forgotten all about that. I also totally remember the hair style you were looking for. That was my ideal too, as it was with many others. Long and straight, parted down the middle. Flower Children indeed!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,082
    edited March 20
    Options

Oh Maggie & Three Tree - we are all going to be in so much trouble when we finally have to upgrade our cars. I can't play tapes, but I can still play CDs. I totally agree about paper maps. I plan my route which is often much better than than Siri or ALexa or whoever talks from the cloud.

Elderberry - sorry I didn't see your post. But you are obviously in our same group.

My Dad taught all his children to change a tire & change the oil. Even with my 2003 car, there's just too much under the hood for me to be comfortable except for wind shield washer fluid and topping up the antifreeze or the brake reservoir.

• minustwo
    Options

Oh my - Dippity-Doo. I used to set my hair with that gel and huge brush rollers. AND sleep on them. I had a page boy for years and before I finally switched to a "flip".

• elderberry
    elderberry Member Posts: 1,058
    Options

I had neither straight or curly hair - it was just sort of wavy in one place and straight in another. I just let it be. I stopped with anything other than shampoo in 1968 - the year I graduated. I moved on to adding conditioner and detanglers later.

My DH has his favourite music on a flash drive and uses an USB port on his Outlander.

There is an expression "Death by GPS" Stories of people who are on the road and the GPS says proceed "X yards/meters" and they keep on going right past a sign that says "STOP! BRIDGE WASHED OUT"

I can't remember when/where I saw a sign once here that said "Do not rely on GPS" …it must have been some major road work or something

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

Hubby and I still carry a road atlas in our car in case the nav aid tries to confuse us.

• minustwo
    Options

NM - are you still monitoring this thread?

I was thinking about Clorox the other night. In the past, I always did a Clorox load of wash every week - as did my Mother. It's been years since I've done that. In fact since my swimming pool was filled in - 1994 - and I had loads of towels. I do soak my dishcloth in Clorox in the kitchen sink every week, but I just put my one towel in with the "light" or "dark" load as appropriate.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 871
    Options

Many years ago I did a Clorox wash once a week but now it’s only used very occasionally if needed. I think the regular detergents work better now. I was a competitive swimmer and coached swimming for 45 years so the smell of chlorine is strangely comforting. Maybe that has contributed to my current pulmonary problems but I had awesome lung capacity so all that pool time did have some benefits.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

I can’t use bleach. I break out in hives from it.