Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Middle Aged Memories

Options

Comments

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

Sorry to see that this thread hasn't had any activity since I last posted something. Are there competing memory threads now, or are memories not a thing anymore???

I have to ask for help with an obscure memory today. I am a soccer fan (avidly enjoying World Cup right now) and I happened to mention that a long time ago, when Pele was a huge phenom in soccer, he was on the cover of one of the bigger magazines, like Time, Newsweek, maybe S.I., only it was not Pele's face...it was Pele's (almost life-size) THIGH. Wahaha, that was hilarious; but now, I tried to find the image of it and came up with nothing. I know it is very random, but can anyone else recall seeing that?

• elimar
    Options

Sorry to see that this thread hasn't had any activity since I last posted something. Are there competing memory threads now, or are memories not a thing anymore???

I have to ask for help with an obscure memory today. I am a soccer fan (avidly enjoying World Cup right now) and I happened to mention that a long time ago, when Pele was a huge phenom in soccer, he was on the cover of one of the bigger magazines, like Time, Newsweek, maybe S.I., only it was not Pele's face...it was Pele's (almost life-size) THIGH. Wahaha, that was hilarious; but now, I tried to find the image of it and came up with nothing. I know it is very random, but can anyone else recall seeing that?

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,616
    Options

I don’t remember that image but I do recall what a big name Pele was. I also remember athletes like Mark Spitz and Bruce Jenner. That was a lifetime ago.

• sunshine99
    Options

I don’t remember that image but I do recall what a big name Pele was. I also remember athletes like Mark Spitz and Bruce Jenner. That was a lifetime ago.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 903
    Options

I don't know if it was ever a magazine cover, but one picture of Pele that I remember is a bicycle kick when he played for the NY Cosmos. Here is the link.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/new-york-cosmos-pele-in-action-bicycle-kick-vs-dallas-news-photo/100487293

• maggie15
    Options

I don't know if it was ever a magazine cover, but one picture of Pele that I remember is a bicycle kick when he played for the NY Cosmos. Here is the link.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/new-york-cosmos-pele-in-action-bicycle-kick-vs-dallas-news-photo/100487293

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,104
    Options

Sorry Eli - I don't know about soccer.

As for the thread - it's just this darn site is so hard to deal with. By the time we get here through the convoluted mess, half of the fun is gone.

But today I got to demonstrate how to move a Nike Missile to it's launch position. They were superseded in the 1970s, but some of you may remember.

• minustwo
    Options

Sorry Eli - I don't know about soccer.

As for the thread - it's just this darn site is so hard to deal with. By the time we get here through the convoluted mess, half of the fun is gone.

But today I got to demonstrate how to move a Nike Missile to it's launch position. They were superseded in the 1970s, but some of you may remember.

• elimar
    Options

"Houston, we have a problem." Looks like MinusTwo is armed and dangerous! Bawling

@Maggie15 -- Great retro photo. The photo/cover I remember was ALL thigh tho', took up the whole cover. I would say life sized, but it had to have been smaller because (as a kid) we were putting our legs up to it and saying, "My leg is as big as Pele's."

• minustwo
    Options

Eli - except that the Nike program was discontinued in 1974. Still, it was an interesting tour. Everything is still in working order, except of course no longer armed and staffed except by volunteers telling history stories.

• elimar
    Options

Too young to drink, but old enough to remember the jingles. Here's another:

"From the land of sky blue waters, comes the water best for brewing."

• minustwo
    Options

Oh my goodness - I haven't thought about that in years. Thanks for the memory

• elimar
    Options

Don't think I advanced to the next page last time and I just now see all the GS songs. I do not know "White Coral Bells" or "Johnny Appleseed" but I do still remember full lyrics of the other ones. I didn't know "Make New Friends" as a song...but I'm thinking you mean the saying:

Make new friends, but keep the old,

One is silver, the other is gold

Is there more to it than that?

Do you remember your Troop Insignia? Mine was a cardinal.

I'll tell you what I do remember, the daughters (and I was not one of them) of the Troop Leaders had a sash full of badges. Weren't they lucky that their non-working moms could help them achieve. My GS troop made me a great Cub Scout leader. Yes, my sons earned plenty of badges...so did every other boy if they attended our weekly den activities and other events. No boy left behind. Thank you Girl Scouts!

• minustwo
    Options

Eli - You got all the words to Make New Friends. It was a round so we divided into 4 groups & started at different times. I don't remember the insignia.

But since I only had a son, I was definitely a cub scout mom. And stayed with it all the way through Eagle badge advisor.

• maggie15
    Options

My troop insignia was a birch tree. My daughter's was a pine tree.

I was not a scout leader (I coached swim team in my "spare" time) but I did go on an exciting weekend winter camping trip when the girls were in middle school. On Saturday night a young man drove his pickup onto the lake where the ice was not yet thick enough and went through. While one of the leaders drove off to find a phone to call for help I had to use my theoretical training in ice rescue from an open water lifeguarding course. Thankfully the rescue equipment including throw buoys, surfboards and a backboard had been left in a shed on the beach for the winter and we were able to get the young man ashore and up to the cabin. The other troop leader was a gynecologist who had a very well stocked first aid kit and was able to treat him for hypothermia until the fire rescue squad arrived. The girls didn't get a badge but they were featured on the news and given an award by the town. What impressed the girls most was that Dr. B who only saw women in her practice knew how to treat a man.

Be prepared!

• elimar
    edited April 2023
    Options

maggie15, what a great rescue story! Your experience was a quantum leaf from the usual bonfire & s'mores!!!

My troop insignia was a Cardinal.

My troop camping experience was in a cabin. The girls who were camping for the first time got an initiation. We had to get blind-folded and walk across a tarp of raw eggs in the shell with our socks on. Crunch, squish, crunch, squish. Har, har, har. When the blindfolds came off, we saw it was really wet kleenex balls with Rice Chex on top. Ah, the age of innocence.

• elimar
    edited April 2023
    Options

Do some communities still have the street corner fire alarm boxes. Haven't seen one in years.

Chicago Fire Department Pull Box | Many of these pull boxes … | Flickr

• maggie15
    edited April 2023
    Options

There was one of these boxes across from my childhood home. My seven year old brother and one of his friends pulled it to see what would happen. When the fire trucks arrived they got a lecture from the fire chief. He then gave them a ride in his squad car and put the siren on. These were the pre 911 days.

Wall versions of these are still in schools. They have security cameras focused on them to deter pranksters from pulling them. They have come in handy when there were real fires originating in the cafeteria, culinary arts class, science labs and construction/repair areas since they are connected to the fire station for an immediate response.

• elimar
    Options

I don't know WHAT brought this old cartoon to the surface after being buried in my mind for more than 50 years. TOOTER TURTLE: "Help me Mr. Wizard!"

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

Snapping beans and shelling peas with grandma. Nothing like fresh veggies from the garden

• minustwo
    Options

Woke up yesterday morning humming "Tammy's in Love". What in the world must I have been dreaming to remember that Doris Day song.

• sunshine99
    Options

Now I'll have that song going through my head! Love Doris Day!

• minustwo
    Options

Sunshine - yup - luckily most of my song 'streams' only last one day.

• sunshine99
    Options

minustwo, thanks for the morning laugh! I have a former schoolmate/Facebook friend who posts songs/music videos on Facebook. Those songs often stay with me or pop back into my head at weird times.

• elimar
    Options

It's really kind of amazing how songs and memories can just pop out at random. The brain works in mysterious ways. Surprise me brain!

• elimar
    Options

I'm going to sweep the cobwebs off your minds with this one:

A toy heavily marketed to boys. If you were a girl and had this, you were probably the Gloria Steinem of your neighborhood!

• maggie15
    Options

I never had this toy but I did have an Annie Oakley smoke rifle. It did not make noise (no caps) but produced white “smoke.”

• sunshine99
    Options

Wow, great memories. I remember candy cigarettes, but my mom wouldn't let me have them. haha

• minustwo
    Options

sunshine - ditto for the candy cigarettes.

Since I was the only girl in the neighborhood (although the oldest), my parents finally bought me a cap gun to I could play with the group without always being the one to be tied up or hung. I remember all the little boys had double holsters. I was grateful to finally have one. I'm older than many of you so this was the days of the Lone Ranger and Sgt Preston of the Yukon… On the radio - pre-television. And another memory from the distant past - Fibber McGee and Molly

• sunshine99
    Options

Oh, just reading this brings back memories. Can you smell the caps right now? Did you ever put them on the ground and hit them with a hammer or rock?