Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Middle Aged Memories

Options

Comments

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    Options

Ma and Pa Kettle.  I am going to look for that for my dh for Christmas.

How about Here Comes The Brides with Bobby Sherman.  I have it on DVD.  

Doris Day and Rock Hudson movies.  Soooo romantic. 

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    Options

Gad, I remember when Bobby Sherman and David Cassidy were the hot singers. And who remembers Tiger Beat ?

And I loved Doris Day movies ... Que sera, sera; whatever will be, will be.

• cmharris59
    cmharris59 Member Posts: 111
    Options

Oh my favorite Doris Day and Rock Hudson - Pillow Talk

My favorite Doris Day and Cary Grant - That Touch of Mink

•   Cary Grant....now there was a good looking man.....he always seemed so refined.  As was Sean Connery who I think someone already mentioned as 007.  When you said Here come the Brides, Prettyinpink my heart went aflutter.  I used to love that show...Jason, Joshua, and Jeremy .Was their last name Bolt?  The bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle.........I liked LumberJack type men. Muscles and a plaid shirt.  Remember that show where the guy was frozen in ice and then he thawed out and was in another century...The 2nd Hundred Years, I think it was called. I liked him also.  

Another show I liked was The Courtship of Eddie's Father. What ever happened to Eddie.....  I know his Dad became the Incredible Hulk.

I think mother's today need to shoo their kids away from the tv and computer a lot more than our mother's ever did.  Back then the shows were pretty tame.  It was when I was older, they got more risque and I hate to admit it I was totally hooked on most of the night time soaps...Dallas, Falcon Crest,Dynastym Knots Landing and Melrose Place.  I couldn't always keep up with my Friday night shows since I was still on the dating circuit then,  but recall my date was pretty upset that the bar he liked to hang out in had Dallas on the tv, the night JR  got shot.  Who Shot J.R? was the topic of conversation everywhere.   Now I have about three or four shows I try to watch, but the world doesn't end if I miss them.  Oh, I forgot all about Patrick Dempsy when we were discussing hot men on the other thread. 

Did any of you like to watch the Little Rascals or Shirley Temple movies? 

• Katyb
    Katyb Member Posts: 11
    Options

I remember the first hand held hair dryer I had was bright orange and called the super max. Herbal Essence shampoo smelled so good. Which reminds me of Brylcream, a little dab will do ya. Which reminds me of Dippity Doo. Sleeping on hair curlers.

I remember Shirley Temple movies and the Little Rascals both.

•    When I was in Jr high I got a hairdryer for Xmas.....one of those old kinds that came in a hatbox shaped case that zipped and held everything   The hose would detach and you could walk around with the hood on like a big huge plastic hairnet. It would leave this mark all the way around your head when you took it off.  The price we would pay for beauty.  LOL. 

• Guess what I found this AM while digging around trying to find some address labels?  A little Mattel Barbie & Ken brochure. It was not one of the first ones because it had Midge in it also and Barbie is shown with a bubble  hairdo and a red one piece suit instead of the original black and white stripe one. .  At the time this booklet came out,  both Babie and Midge cost a whoppin' $3.00. Enchanted Evening which was the outfit with the long pink gown and white fur cape cost $4.00. Barbie's Dream House was $8.00. ..that included furniture!!   They had already started to cheapen the clothes by then because some of the original more detailed outfits like Golden Girl with the gold lamae (sp) dress and jacket with fur trim that looked like mink, and the cute little shortie nightie outfit and the orange/red two piece sweater set with the gray flannel straight skirt are not included in the selections. The main reason I loved Barbie were the way the clothes had such detail with the miniature zippers, teensy little buttons and were just so real. 

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262
    Options

Marybe, THAT HAIRDRYER.....oh, so cool to try to get the hood over the gigantic curlers. The rollers created that poufy hairdo look.

Want to know what my Mother made me do to create that Doris Day pageboy? She would give me a peri pad, the kind with the extensions on them so you could hook them into your "belt".....I would pin the extensions to my temple area of my head, wrap my hair UNDER the pad and use bobby pins to secure it. None of my friends did this and were horrified when I told them........but I must say that it was much more comfortable than sleeping on the brush rollers that dug into my head all night. And my wicked cool pageboy hair was perfect. Sue

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,802
    Options

Oh, dear, those dreadful pads and "belts"!  How I hated them!  I remember when tampons were becoming popular and my mother telling me that virgins couldn't use them. 

I remember the hair drier with the big plastic hood and the marks it left, and the noise it made!  Couldn't use it during the evening news because Dad couldn't hear the TV. 

• sue-61
    Options

NativeMainer, I was in nursing school when I started with tampax. The kind with the cardboard "introducer." My best friend sat in the stall next to me and directed me with the painful insertion. what a trip that was! Sue

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    Options

I rememebr the smell that the hair dryer bonnet had.  I remember those Barbie catalogs that came with the Barbie, they were my wish books.

How about waiting for Sears and Montgomery Wards to put out their Christmas catalogs?

• sue-61
    Options

Meece, the SEARS WISH BOOK..........quite thick as I recall..........such nice memories from way back then...Sue

• Meece
    Options

I grew up in a small town, we only had catalog stores.  We did have a JC Penney, but they also had catalogs.  With 3 kids in my family, it helped to have 3 Christmas catalogs as well.  Less fighting.

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    Options

Gee Your Hair Smell Terrific.  I loved that shampoo.

I remember those huge curlers.  I ripped half of my hair out trying to take them out.

My first record player was the kind that closed up into a case with a handle.  Back then, the best sounding speakers were huge. You could just buy the song that you liked...like we can now with itunes.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,882
    Options

Meece, I remember the smell of that plastic hair dryer bonnet too.  Mine was a Lady Sunbeam and the cap was flower power print.  Also had a compact one with a hard top that swung open and looked like a mini-version of a hair dryer in a salon.  Closed up, it looked kind of space-age.

Seems like the 50s and 60s used "space-age" design on a lot of home products.  We had a Hoover Constellation vacuum, remember those?  They floated along on air like a hovercraft.

• elimar
    Options

Did anyone go to the Montgomery Ward's "Wendy Ward Charm School?"  I was soooo jealous when my neighbor/best friend and her sister did that, and appeared in the fashion shows.  Sears had a charm school too.  I did not go to either of these, and suffer from lack charm to this day. 

• Meece
    Options

I remember when my mother got a "portable stereo"  It was on a roller stand with wheels and the speakers folded in to the front.  It was still the size of a midsized television for those days.

• LILLY1955
    LILLY1955 Member Posts: 10
    Options

I remember those scratchy petticoats that made our dresses stand out.  Sort of like the little girls wear in pagents today.  Oh those hurt my legs so my mom bought me one that had an inflatable bottom that you blew up like a balloon.  I didn't have anymore excuses for not wearing those to church.  Also the little socks that turned down and had embroidery on them.  We couldn't wear pants to high school until I was a soph. but we could wear pant UNDER a dress or skirt.  How stupid did that look.  NOBODY did it.  I also had a PONG game that I understand was the first home video game(my dad is an electronics nut).  It had films that you put on the screen and we had 2 games ping pong and football.  Loved listening to a stack of records on the turntable as we went to sleep at night.  Mostly songs from the 40's that my parents liked, but I learned all the words and still know most of them.

edited to add:  Meece we had a stereo that looked like a suitcase that you could fold up and had a handle to carry it by.

• Meece
    Options

My mother liked to dress me in dresses with pinafores (Sp)  I might go to school in them but rarely came home with them.  If my mom happened to pick me up from school I would have to go back in and empty them from my locker.

We had pong, but my parents were afraid it would ruin our color tv set, so we had to play it on the black and white that was in the garage.

Boards games:  How about mystery date?

• LILLY1955
    Options

Mouse trap and Monopoly .  I didn''t have any bros or sis so I played solitaire with REAL cards.  We had game nite on Wednesday and did lots of puzzles, too.

• Meece
    Options

Oh, we did lots of jigsaw puzzles, still do around this time of year. 

Booby trap, Life.

I was the thrid child and y sister being nearly 5 years older was allowed to make up the rules for playing her games.  She made sure that I was not allowed to play a game with her if my age was not specified on the box.  So I watched a lot of board games.  My grandparents played lots of real cards, and scrabble was set up on the table most of the time.

When my DH and I visit my parents we play cards of dominoes all evening.

• LILLY1955
    Options

You are so lucky to have sibblings!!  My parents are in their 80s now and I only have my DH and sons to help me with them.  They still live at home and do really well, but still I wish I had someone to share the responsibility with.  I was a tomboy and always played with the 2 boys next door instead of my girl neighbors.  My dad taught me how to play golf, tennis, baseball,swim, etc.  Too short for basketball !!  I guess I was his "boy" but I loved sports and still do.  Then God blessed me with 2 sons to enjoy sports with.

• elimar
    Options

My best friend and I were tomboys too.  (I guess that is why her mom tried the Charm School.)  We played on a Parks and Rec.softball team all summer.  A local pizzaria was our sponsor.

Another great thing about summer when I was a kid is that the Fire Dept. came to our (urban) neighborhood and would open up the fire hydrant on the corner so we could have a "street shower."

• Meece
    Options

My siblings both moved several states away.  I suppose I can be thankful for that because I have more time with my parents.  I call my mom every morning as I commute to work, we talk for 10-15 minutes.  It is my way to make sure they are both okay.  They live 30 minutes away, and we can go see them or help them with little tasks as they need it.  When my boys come home, they love going over there to help them.  Funniest thing, My 6'5" son stepped up to help my 5'3" mother hang pictures in their new home.  All the pics are hung near his eye level, so they have a row of naikl holes where they moved the pictures down.

My brother is good for my parents, but doesn't get into town often.  And Big Sis disowned me when I went through my CA tx, because I didn't ask her advice on my decisions.  She only comes into town to take over anything I am helping mom and dad with.  It's okay, because I know where I stand with my parents.

My mom is coming over Monday to stay with me while DH is at work because she doesn't think I should be left alone yet.  It will be their 52nd wedding anniversary, and she said she wished I was  up to going out to celebrate with them.  They treat DH so nice, it's so pleasant to spend time with them.

• kjbell
    kjbell Member Posts: 454
    Options

How about "good night John-Boy" and who could forget "two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun".

• LILLY1955
    Options

Meece,

I talk to my mom every morning too.  They only live across town from us (really small town) so I can be over there in a sec.  Funny you should mention the pictures.  I am 4'11" and I hung our pictures at MY eye level.  So now everybody comments on how low our pictures are.  I just tell the I hung them at eye level...mine.

kjbell  How about Little House on the Prarie?  I am running the jingle for McDonalds thru my mind as I am typing.  May need to make a McDonalds run shortly.  I don't remember for sure, but I think I heard that Barry Manilow wrote that.  He wrote lots of jingles for commercials before he got famous

• kjbell
    kjbell Member Posts: 454
    Options

Lilly-I think you are right about Barry Manilow. He used to sing a "song" that contained all his famous jingles. Little House was a show me and my mom watched together. I believe it was on Monday night-my mom would make my dad go in the den to watch his football game on the small tv so we could watch the big tv. My mom has been gone for 20 years. Thank you for reminding me of a nice memory!

• septembersong
    septembersong Member Posts: 153
    Options

I had more than one Tiny Tears--the first one had real hair. What a thrill to give her a bottle, then have to change her diaper.

It seemed like every family in our neighborhood had a story about a child wandering off and being returned by the mailman or the milkman. Things were a little simpler then. Mothers were almost always at home (which makes it kind of hard to account for all those wandering chldren, unless they were too busy chatting with the neighbors to notice what the kids were up to).

We read Seventeen magazine religiously and used Dippity-Doo to style our hair. Happy memories, but I'm glad those days are over!

• LILLY1955
    Options

OMGosh!  I forgot all about Dippity-Doo.  I always had some that I put on my bangs along with a fabric type tape to give my hair a little "lift"  I have really straight hair.  I can even remember how the Dippity-Doo smelled.  My bangs were stiff as a board when they dried and I would nearly pull them out when I tried to comb them.  OUCH

• septembersong
    septembersong Member Posts: 153
    Options

We also used a sugar and water mix to make sure those roller sets took. Then we tried ironing our hair (on an ironing board with waxed paper). Nothing was too much trouble when it came to your hair.