Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Middle Aged Memories

Comments

•   It was a big treat at our house when we made home made pizza out of a box....Appian Way or Chef Boy'arDe.  On Friday nights we would pop corn and watch Twilight Zone. 

I think we were so lucky to grow up when we did and it is so much fun to recall it. We grew up with some of the greatest music that ever was.....kids today even like it. I seem to be partial to one hit wonders.  My claim to fame is that I got to see the Beatles in person. 

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337
    Marybe - Do I assume the popcorn was Jiffy Pop ? And please share the Beatles story !
  • smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383

MTG,

Is your avatar Jell-O? Flan? Cup cakes? I'm a flat-lander so I guess mine could be a sheet cake!

We had a popcorn popper that had a pot that sat on a heating coil. It would pop the lid off when it was done. Just like Orville Redenbocker.

My oldest sister had an autographed picture of the Beatles and one day I was mad at her so I ripped it up and threw it away. Oh, if I only had it now...

• MTG

smithlme - It's a strawberry cake w/ cream cheese icing that I made as a thank you for my rads team. (I cheated and bought a mold) Photobucket wouldn't let me post it as a pic so I avoided them by using it my avatar. Tell me, does you sister still bring up the photo ? Has she forgiven you yet ?

All - Gumby !!!!! Pogo ! Davy and Goliath  

• cmharris59
    cmharris59 Member Posts: 111

MTG

1. He is on NCIS as the coroner

2. Yes and she was on Remington Steele with Pierce Brosnan

•   If I were your sister, I would be bringing up the ripped Beatles photo yet today.  Although I did a pretty stupid thing myself in giving all my Beatles memoribelia (sp) to a good friend's boyfriend when I was going thru some sort of a phase where I thought other groups were better.  I still have some albums and 45s, but that is it.

MTG:   Ok, you asked for my Beatles story about seeing them.  It was the summer between Freshman and sophomore year  (I think. I am going on what I wore...a pink babydoll gingam check dress) and I went with my best friend and her boyfriend who looked a lot like George Harrison.  Her parents drove us to Cincinnati which is about 2 hrs from our home town because we were not yet driving.  They got rained out so we went back home and the next day my father drove us back to Cincinnati to see them.  That would not happen today because for one thing (other than the fact half of them are dead) they would be booked somewhere else the following day. They performed in the stadium and they were flown in by helicopter which landed in the middle of the field.  They had on their gray suits with the black velvet collars.  You could barely hear them for all the screaming and crying, but it was an experience I will never forget.  I do not recall how much the tickets cost, but know we ordered them as soon as they went on sale.  I also saw Paul when he was with Wings and his wife Linda was with him, but that was nothing compared to seeing the Fab Four.

The popcorn was just plain old popcorn as I think it was pre Jiffy Pop.  We used to use oil and pop it in an old pressure cooker my mother no longer used.  It was great popcorn. 

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765

I made my own skip-it with a plastic coffee can lid with the center cut out, a piece of string and a wiffle ball.

I love seeing Duckie on NCIS.

Sheila

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,882

Ditto on the homemade Skip It.  The big coffee can lids were also frisbees (er, flying disks.)

• EWB
    EWB Member Posts: 592

THATS why Duckie seemed so familiar..... we also used an old pressure cooker for popcorn .... mom would make popcorn, put into a brown paper lunch bag and we would take with us to movies (2 movies + cartoon).  After Sunday school/church, Mom always made pizza (all from scratch), carrot & celery sticks & milk for lunch, if we were lucky sometimes we were allowed to watch whatever Abbot & Costello movie was on that afternoon.

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080

Remember the ads for cake mixes.  The husband takes a bite of the homemade cake and starts choking and asking for a drink.  The cake is just too dry...so use the mix.  

We used tin cans and waxed string to make walkie talkies.  They really did work.

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080

Transistor radios.  Always crackling.  Not even stereo.  

• elimar

Someone mentioned earlier having a milk chute in their home.  Our family had milk delivery when I was very young.  Also, a produce wagon came down the street once or twice a week with nice fresh goods.  We had a "sheeny man" that came by now and then to sharpen knives.  Those guys were scary, and I think there are some urban legends about them!  I remember we actually had a Fuller Brush man come to the door a few times as well as other door-to-door salesmen.  It was common then, but seems so weird now if anyone still does that. 

• DebraJ
    DebraJ Member Posts: 2

Oh my, things that I haven't thought about in a long time. As I was reading I kept saying : that's right, yeph. For me the 70's were and are the ZEPPLIN generation. Hot rods, shelby mustangs, chevy novas jacked up rear ends and wide back tires with chrome rims. Groovy!

• DebraJ
    DebraJ Member Posts: 2

Oh, the FRITO BANDITO. I love frito corn chips I love them I do, I love frito corns chips I steal them from you!

• MTG

cmharris59 - Absolutely correct ! Your prize: a brand new Oscar Meyer Weiner Whistle ! Remember the Weiner Mobile ?

Marybe -cool story and cool parents too to take you all that way. And, FYI, when I'm visiting my parents, we still use Mom's old pressure cooker to make popcorn. Far better than the hot air poppers; the little bit of oil gives the salt something to stick to !

• smithlme
    smithlme Member Posts: 383

My sister still brings up the ripped photo. She even had a Beatles cake for one of her birthdays. There was a guitar and the fab 4 done in sugar. I remember seeing them on Ed Sullivan and that little mouse named Topo Gigio. I was obsessed with that mouse!

I grew up listening to my parents playing albums by Herb Albert and the Tiajuana Brass, Perry Como and Dean Martin. Remember when stereos were large pieces of furniture?

• MTG

I loved Topo Gigio !!!!!  He was soooooo cute. I even had a Topo Gigio hand puppet. And then there was Shari Lewis with Lampchop.

•   I had Lamb Chop and my sister had Charley Horse.  Ed Sullivan had all sorts of great acts on his show.  Does anyone remember Ted Mack and the origanal amatuer hour sponsered by Getitol.  Now I could use some Geritol.  The only bad part about spending Sat night at my grandparent's house was that we had to watch Lawrence Welk if we wanted to watch tv because they could not miss Lawrence Welk.  For some reason I never like the Lennon Sisters which was probably because I was jealous from my grandmother always saying They are such nice girls, aren't they just the prettiest girls?   Perry Como and his mail.....Letters, we get lots and lots of letters

• konakat
    konakat Member Posts: 499

I remember the old Ma & Pa Kettle movies.  And one where the Mom was always yelling at her son, "Henry!  Henry Aldrich!".

I loved Ilya when I was young, love him now as Ducky.

Before I started school I wanted to be a bus monitor with the orange belt.  I used to wrap scarves around my waist and over my shoulder.  I'd line up my dolls and teddy bears on the stairs, pretending it was a bus and I was the monitor.  I was so excited when I was one for a year, but no one listened to me when I tried to assign seats in a logical order -- filling the bus from front to back.

• konakat
    konakat Member Posts: 499

The Pen Pal club.  You'd get a list of addresses and interests of people from all over the world.  I had pen pals in the US, South Africa, New Zealand, Austria, England, Scotland, Sri Lanka (then Ceylon), Japan...

•   There were a bunch of Henry Aldrich movies.  I can't remember the actor who played Henry, but know he was also in a movie with Judy Garland where they were jitterbugging.  Did any of you watch Dobie Gillis,(The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis I think was the full title)  he had that buddy Maynard G Krebs who was Bob Denver.  And there was this rich snobby kid named Chadsworth Osborne Jr.  And then there was Zelda and Tuesday Weld was this girl Dobie really had the hots for....Edwina maybe?  It was sort of like the Archie comics about teens , but a tv show.  Maynard was like Jughead. 

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,786

Rice-a-Roni, the San Fransiciso Treat!  I loved that stuff and still find it once in a while.

I remember pen pal clubs, was part of English class and we had to share our letters and the responses we got.  Sometimes they went through an interpreter and someone would get 2 letters--one in English, the other in a foreign language like Japenese or Chinese. 

20 MuleTrain Borax--remember the show they sponsered? Westerns?  I can't remember the name of the show itself. 

•   I think the guy who hosted the western show that 20 Mule Team borax sponsered was referred to as the Old Ranger, wasn't he?  But I cannot remember the name of the show....maybe I will have to ask my Dad that since he was always into the westerns. There sure were a bunch of them  Wyatt Earp, SugarFoot...someone already mentioned Have Gun will Travel with Pallidan, Bat Masterson,The Rifleman, Laramie, High Chapperal, The Lawman, The Rebel  I had a crush on Hugh O'Brien.  What was the one with BIlly the kid and Pat Garrick?  I think Clu Gulliger was Billy.  What was going on with Miss Kitty and Matt Dillon anyway? 

• sue-61
    sue-61 Member Posts: 262

Was it Wagon Train? The borax thing.................

•   Maybe, but I am thinking not.  I remember Wagon Train well.....already said in another post how I had a crush on Clint McCullough.  They got a new wagon mastor after Ward Bond died, but I liked it with Ward Bond....they called him Major didn't they?  Major Adams and Charley was the cook.  It would make sense for 20 mule team to be with a wagon train show though, wouldn't it? 

You know what I love about this thread?  We are remembering happy pre BC times when life was so simple. 

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

WOW, I was gone for a daya and a half and it took me quite awhile to catch up on this thread.

My mother loved Wagon Train, so I watched it with her.  She watched the Bowry Boys Movies, which I thought were soooooooooooo old.

I had a thing you spun around your ankle called a Lemon Twist, and my brother had a Zip-Zap. It was a foam rubber thing strung on a super large rubber band, and you zipped it back and forth between two people.

Bazooka Bubble gum with Bazooka Joe comics inside, and you could collect them and send them in for prizes.

Once upon a time there was an engineer, Choo-choo Charlie was his name we here.  He had an engine and he sure had fun, he used Good and Plenty Candy to make his train run.

We had the Helms truck

Here's one that is totally not PC:

Hot dogs, Armour hot dogs, what kind of kids eat Armour hot dogs?  Fat kid, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks, Tall kids, short kids, even kids with chicken pocks! Armour hot dogs the dogs kids love to bite!

• kjbell
    kjbell Member Posts: 454

What about playing jacks, marbles or hopscotch. Do kids today play those "old-fashioned" games?

• elimar

...Charley says, Love my Good and Plenty.  Charley says, It really tastes so swell,  Charley says, Love my Good and Plenty.  Don't know any other candy that I love so well.

And it was "Tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chicken pox."  

Wow!  Who knew that was stored in my brain!!!!

• MTG

I'm starting to understand why our Mothers always used to shoo us away from the TV and tell us to go out to play. King of eerie when you think about it !

• elimar

Why?  Cause we might post jingles on B/C boards when we are middle-aged?  What's more eerie?  Remembering the lyrics?  Or being on a breast cancer board?