Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Middle Aged Memories

Comments

• cindoe
    cindoe Member Posts: 17

How about book covers, do kids still do that? From paper grocery bags. I think it was when I went to catholic school.

• cindoe
    cindoe Member Posts: 17

Batman, just about pulled my teeth out trying to swing from a rope by my teeth,lol

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618

Do they stil have Peachee (sp?) folders?  Those generic two-pocket foders with pictures of a football player, a tennis player and others on a goldenrod golored background. Your folder had to be covered with the names of who you had a crush on or who you were dating.  And of course, you had to alter the pictures on it as well.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,786

I remember book covers, too.  Cutting brown paper grocery bags and folding them to fit the books.  I hated it and wanted to buy the more colorful book covers in the store but Mom would never go for wasting money on something like that.  And writing your name in the inside of the book and looking to see who had the book before you--there were some names you hated to see because it meant the book would be marked up, torn up and generaly in bad shape.  Do they still reuse books in grade school still, or are they all on the computer now? 

If I recall correctly, ping pong jokes were jokes told to Captain Kangaroo by Mr. Moose or Mr Rabbit. When the Capt didn't know the answser a show bunch of ping pongs fell out of the ceiling onto him and the puppet would laugh and laugh and laugh! 

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,882

The one, the only, "Mr. Microphone."  (For that matter, every item by Ronco or Popiel that had it's own cheesy commercial---how many can YOU remember?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqZQmS8KeLM&feature=related

"Hey Good Lookin', be back to pick you up later!"

• Morgan513
    Morgan513 Member Posts: 303

I loved Captain Kangaroo with Bunny Rabbit and Mr. Greenjeans!  I hated when they would have the silent clown segment.  It drove me bonkers!!!  It was sooo boring to me!  To this day, clowns make me angry.  LOL.  Traumatized by watching the clown on Captain Kangaroo!  

Sorry if it offends clown lovers!

Romper Room was great too!  

How about Davy and Goliath on Sunday mornings?  

• Meece

The only time I could watch Capt. Kangaroo or Romper Room was when I stayed home sick and stayed with my Grandma.  I rememebr they were on early enough to watch before school, but our t.v. didn't come on in the mornings at all.

• Meece

Was it on one of those showls or the Sheriff John Show that you could send in for special film to stick to your t.v. screen so you could draw what they told you to on the screen?

• Meece

I think the only clown I could tolerate was Bozo, but I have a lasting aversion to clowns.  We had a show out here called Hobo Kelly, a clown-hobo character who always opened up her washing machine and pulled out toys for one lucky viewer.  I never questioned why a hobo would have a washing machine.

• Meece

I'm on a roll down memory lane right now.  Howe about HR Pufstuf?

Stuck in traffic, so playing on the internet....no, I am not driving!  Surprised

• MTG
    MTG Member Posts: 337

Can I join in the fun too ???? This thread makes me smile.

Let's see, HR Puffenstuff , didn't that one also have WitchyPoo ? Tv - Johnny Quest, Speed Racer (had a crush on Driver X). Milk that was still delivered to a metal box at your back door. Fluffernutter sandwiches (actually, I ate Fluff Sandwiches), But, most seemingly old fashioned of all, I remember my parents dressing for everyday activities - and my Mom's elegant, shimmery outfits and full makeup whenever they went out with friends. She created the most elegant image I can remember. (And I actually have some of those outfits in MY closet. Hee, Hee.)

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080

I had forgotten half of this stuff.  Good memories ladies.

I was a crossing guard at grade school.  We got to leave class early, put on our florescent orange over the shoulder harness, and help the 'little' kids cross the roads near our school.  If we did a good job (nobody was hit by a car under your watch) we were given pins to put on our harnesses.

Someone earlier mentioned the dentist skit on the Carol Burnett show.  I actually saw Tim Conway and Harvey Kormen do the skit live a few years ago.  Still really funny! 

• konakat
    konakat Member Posts: 499

I just found this thread and it's great.  I was going to mention HR Puffenstuff -- WitchyPoo, Freddie the Flute, dreamy Jack Wild.  Lost in Space, Land of the Giants.  Flying Nun.  Loved clackers.  Making book covers out of grocery bags.  Burl Ives.  Striped socks with toes.  Stocking hats.  Aluminum flying saucers in the snow.

There was this toy that had a red plastic ring to go around your ankle and a long plastic string with a yellow plastic bell on it.  You would make it swing around on the ground with one leg and hop over it with the other.

Here's one for my Canadian friends -- Fuddle duddle.  This was said by Prime Minister Trudeau when he really wanted to say f*ck -- "oh, fuddle duddle".  I had a peasant top with this written all over it. 

• konakat

Candy cigarettes!  How naughty we were!  All soda pop in glass bottles. Ton 'o' gum with hockey cards in them.

• pip57

Comic books.  Archie, Jughead, Little Dot, Richie Rich....

The Bobsey Twins.  Nancy Drew.  

When soap operas were only 15 minutes long.  And I think they probably accomplished more then than they do now in an hour! 

• pip57

Yes Konakat.  And don't forget the Double Bubble gum with the lame cartoon inside.

• konakat

Pedaling hard on my bike then sticking my legs out, hair in the wind, flying down a hill -- no helmets for us!  Banana seats and ape handles!  I thought I was soooo cool.

• nativemainer
    nativemainer Member Posts: 7,786

I remember the red plastic ring thingy--don't remember what it was called but I remember playing with it!  I loved Lost in Space and Land of the Giants. And peasant blouses and body suits.  The only way my mother would let me wear "hip hugger" jeans was with a body suit. 

"fuddle Duddle" made me thing of Fiddle Faddle, whcih made me think of Cracker Jack--sharing the box with my brother and sister and fighting over who got the prize. 

Then there was counting numbers on license plates during car trips, or the letters of the alphabet on signs. 

• MTG

Skip It !!!! Check it out on U Tube, although this is a newer version than I remember: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5eNcFRit8M

And the Patty Duke show, "Idenitcal Cousins all the Way"

• MTG

Oh, and I remember getting my bell bottoms caught in the up escalator at Orbachs Department Store. And my pants kept getting lower and lower. My Dad had to save me. By then my pants were almost to my knees. That's a vivid and mortifying memory !!! LOL

And how about clogs !

Ths thread is fun ! 

• pip57

Hot pants!  I had a pair of black velvet ones.  I must have looked like a prostitute! 

•  I never had the legs for hot pants.  Pre Romper Room do any of you remember one called Ding Dong School with Miss Francis?  I was in a Hallmark store yesterday to pick up a card and stopped by to look at the Xmas ornaments. I have bought the Barbie ones for my best friend from the old days who actually played Barbies with me.  Well, they have some that are soooo cute, but also quite expenive.  There is one with the original Barbie in a Barbie box and there was a Barbie shoe that I liked, but there was also one with a television set, black screen and Twilight Zone written on it. Oh and Ralphie in his pink bunny pajamas and the leg lamp for Christmas story.   I sort of have a theme tree, all pastels and Victorian looking so none of these ornaments would work on my tree, but if they weren't so expensive I would have bought them.  I thought Wow, the women on the message boards would love these. 

I still wear clogs.

• pip57

I work for Hallmark.  They also have a Ghostbuster car, Fisher Price bus, Fisher Price phone and Robbie the Robot.

• EWB
    EWB Member Posts: 592
    Skip it, I've been trying to remember what that was called. I remember my Mom changing clothes before Dad got home from work, we would change from school clothes to play clothes after school... Thats actually kind of nice, dressing for the day, although these sweat suits are really nice on the feeling crappy days  Frown
  • cmharris59
    cmharris59 Member Posts: 111

White gloves and hats, not just for church... patent leather mary janes... jonny quest - yummy for Race... The man from UNCLE.. the Avengers... Palladin... Wanted, Dead or Alive...Jacques Cousteau and his underwater world...

On a less pleasant note, but thankful for some advances.. No stick on feminine hygiene pads... cod liver oil for everything.. major surgery for ruptured appendix with no drains so the incision is left open to drain out the impurities... UGH! I went throught that one for weeks after my appendectomy... Can I just say that I loved the hand grenade drains for my mx?

I was in the School Patrol and every year they took a trip to Washington DC. I took a train with kids from all over the city across country to stay at the Watergate Hotel.  Then the Watergate was not so well known.  We had a week of sightseeing in the nation's capitol. I loved it. We had to pay for our share of the trip, but we did bake sales and car washes to make the money. Some prominent folks in town would provide matching funds. 

• pip57

Roll down car windows. 

Squeaky screen doors.

In the summer, everyone going home when the street lights came on. 

• kjbell
    kjbell Member Posts: 454

Oh this is fun! My life was miserable if I couldn't watch the Partridge Family and The Brady Bunch. I thought I was so cool watching Midnight Special. Remember the commercial "we're having beefaroni...beef and macaroni...". My dad was a cook so he would never buy pasta out of a can but the tune was so catchy I always wanted to try it.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,882

....Hooray for Beef-A-Roni!

• MTG

typewriters instead of computers. records instead of cds. what's a cell phone ? what's  a microwave ? The original Star Trek with Leonard Nimoy. And for fans of the Man from UNCLE, (1) Ilya Kuriakan (sp ?) is back on TV on a regualr series; do you know which one ? and (2) do you remember the Girl from UNCLE (a very young Stephanie Kimbalist) ?

• kjbell
    kjbell Member Posts: 454

This is embarrasing, but we were so naive back then. When I was in 5th grade we would walk up to the grocery store and look (and laugh) at the "girlie" magazines. Back then they were right on the shelf with Good Housekeeping and Readers Digest.