Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894

Hi Deborah and all:) reposting this on some threads, may be old news to some, but to good of info not to pass this on,Sassy

Cam00205Bluebird144…NJJoined: Apr 2013Posts: 393

13 hours agoBluebird144 wrote:

Knitted Knockers Charities is a non-profit that exists to provide free patterns for knitters and crocheters to be able to make knockers and help mastectomy patients get freeKnitted Knockers made by volunteers.

I love my Knitted Knockers! They are light and soft and warm. Unlike my silicone prosthetic which is heavy and cold when first worn, then it later causes me to sweat.

I wear my knitted knockers inside a regular bra or tucked in the pocket of a mastectomy bra. They are beautiful, and a godsend to those of us with an uneven mastectomy scar.

Knitted knockers website:

http://www.knittedknockers.info/

Fall down seven times, stand up eight.

Surgery 09/09/2009 Prophylactic Ovary Removal (Both)Chemotherapy 02/06/2013 Adriamycin, Cytoxan, TaxolSurgery 07/19/2013 Mastectomy (Both); Lymph Node Removal: Sentinel Lymph Node Dissection, Axillary Lymph Node Dissection (Left); Reconstruction: DIEP flap (Both)Surgery 08/20/2013 Reconstruction (Right)Surgery 08/28/2013 Mastectomy (Right)Radiation Therapy 10/14/2013 3-D conformal external beam radiationSurgery 01/24/2014 Reconstruction: Tissue expander placement (Right)

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750

AZ is right. Expect lots of changes in the coming weeks and months.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Thank you Sassy....!

• whitenack
    whitenack Member Posts: 39

I searched through the forums (because I'm sure this has been asked), but when you search for "typo" there are tons of results...ha! 

Is there a typo on the allergan product guide for the Style 20 and 45?  On both dimension charts, the projection gradually increases until it reaches 500cc.  Then, it drops in projection, but jumps back up at the next size.  We are only talking about tenths of centimeters, but I thought it was odd.  It looks like the size just below 500cc jumps up (on the Style 45 the projection jumps from 5.1 on a 400cc to 5.9 on a 460cc)...maybe that is the typo?

Also, would a Style 20 look bigger than a Style 45 of the same ccs, since the Style 20 will look wider/fuller?  For example, at 500ccs, a Style 45 has just about a half centimeter more projection than the Style 20, but it is more than a centimeter narrower.  Wouldn't a wider implant look fuller, and therefore, bigger, than the narrower implant? 

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

whitenack - That's a question for whippetmom.... (she's the 'breast whisperer' and really knows her stuff).  She'll be along shortly...

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465

Blessings, thanks for sharing the Dec photo.  You all look great. Hope you are all feeling good and actually doing well.

• sandra4611

This morning I had an expert bra measuring session from one of the traveling Wacoal representatives who is in town to do this special event. She's been doing this for 14 years and has seen it all including women with reconstruction. After measuring me, she put me into four or five bras before we found one that would work. The cups were just too darn big or the side seam was too narrow or everything was too tight. As the Wacoal rep said, the bras are meant for natural breasts and implants are short on projection but long on width. The cups on the first ones I tried all puckered because there wasn't enough to fill them out. I tried a "formed" bra and started laughing. Because it keeps it's shape, I could poke the end in and it would stay that way! Holy highschool!

The 36 C I started out with was tight around the band even though that was what my measurement indicated. It was uncomfortable probably because I haven't had a bra on in months. Like everyone else who has been through the TE process and mastectomy recovery, I've had enough tightness to last the rest of my life so we concentrated on 38 C styles until we found three that worked.

For those wondering, Allergan 410 Style FF 740cc gummie bears fit pretty good into a Wacoal C cup in these three styles: 85276, 855192, and 85567. Some other C cup styles may be too big.

• AZ85048

Sandra - So the old 'if it fit over my head like a cap, it would be the right cup size' method has been retired?  Winking  I still remember reading that post of yours a while back and could not get the image out of my head.  You are a gem!  Nice of you to research for the other Allergan ladies.... 

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

whitenack,

Initially I had Style 45 in 800cc's. 

Now I have Style 20 in 650cc's. 

If you can, try to picture a drinking glass that holds 12 oz of water. Then picture a bowl that will hold 12oz of water. They both hold the same volume, but one is tall/narrow, the other is wider with less projection. This is my personal opinion, but the Style 45's will look larger from the side (projection) while the 20's will look more "full" from the front. But the difference might not even be noticeable to anyone but an over-analyzer. ;-)

I truly think either one is nice. The 45's may not work on a wider rib cage (broad across). But they work well to keep projection for a narrower frame. No matter which you end up going with there will still be a time of adjusting to the "new you" for your wife. I really like mine now...but they are different from the originals. Rounder, fuller, with cleavage!!! Shocked Ha!! It's an adjustment...but it will be ok! 

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974

Hello everyone--I just had my best friend call me and tell me she found a lump Sad She had a mammogram and ultrasound yesterday and just got a call that they are telling her that she actually has 2 cysts and 1 lump, all of which are benign (per ultrasound. does this sound normal?). Anyway her doctor is recommending she see a breast doctor so I was wondering if anyone out there had a really great breast doctor in the Sarasota/Bradenton, FL area? Especially a great BS as welll as a PS. Any ideas?

• whitenack

thanks for the analogy, dulcigirl.  That makes sense.  And I am one of those over analyzers, that's for sure.  

• Sandrac3
    Sandrac3 Member Posts: 11

Hoping I'm posting all the information needed correctly.  I'll be having surgery March 19th. I want to make sure I get the correct TE for my size and outcome. I'm 5'8, 174 (this am) 34 inch under bust. I am currently a small/druppy C. I should be seeing the PS in about 2 weeks and I want to be prepared when I do. Whippet mom can you suggest TE and type of implant if I want to be full C/small D? Not saggy but more perkyWinking

Thank you in advance!! Sandra

• whippetmom

whitenack:  The discrepancy question about the projection numbers on the Allergan website appear to be accurate.  I recall that I inquired about this with an Allergan rep a number of years ago and he said that he had been questioned about this previously, but to his knowledge, the numbers are accurate.  If they are incorrect, no one has seemed concerned about changing them, because the catalogues have changed throughout the years, but the numbers remain the same.  Dulcigirl answered the second part of your question, far better than I would have, to be sure.

• whippetmom

Lala: If you do no get any responses here, try posting this in the Surgery: Before, During and After forums.  I do not think she needs a PS at all at this juncture, if they are suspecting the lumps are benign.  I do not maintain any breast surgeon names for referral.  So the Surgery thread or the Lumpectomy threads might have more members who would know of a BS in Florida. 

• whippetmom

Sandrac3:  These questions are getting harder and harder with the FDA approval of Sientra and the Allergan anatomicals.  But I think that you will want a TE with a width of at least 14.0 cm...up to 15.0 cm.  Perhaps with a volume of around 600 ccs.  From there, I think you want around 700 ccs, if we are talking about a smooth round silicone implant.  I cannot comment about anatomicals, because the anatomical implant will specifically relate to the size of TE - style AND volume - chosen by the PS.  It is more exacting when the PS plans to use an anatomically shaped implant.  You are not a candidate for Sientra, in my opinion, because the size range is too limiting.  I would be careful not to discuss "cup" sizes too much with your PS. You are a "C" cup now, so it is better to tell him you do NOT want to be any smaller than you are now  - just perhaps a little larger and without the droop.  Keep me posted.

• missmaples
    missmaples Member Posts: 2

Hi Deborah/Whippetmom and all the reconstruction experts here :)

I have learned so much from all of you these past weeks as I have tried to come to a decision about my next surgery.  Thank you!  

In the next few weeks I will be having a BMX with immediate one-stage reconstruction, direct to implant.  I had my first meeting with the plastic surgeon yesterday morning, and he is recommending the Allergan 410 anatomical for me.  No specific discussions about size yet as he wants me to think on it a bit.  He believes I could consider going just slightly ever so slightly bigger than I currently am.  I would be grateful for any input/advice you might have, though I appreciate without using tissue expanders, this may be very difficult for you to weigh in on. 

I am 5'4", 105 lbs, 27 inch ribcage, long torso with broad shoulders, a bony chest, and very small breasts (barely A).   

Many thanks for your insights and more than anything perhaps, your presence.  These boards have made me feel a lot less alone :)

MissM

Edited to add: Whoops, I should have clarified it will be a Nipple and Skin Sparing Mastectomy!

• AZ85048

MissMaples - Hi and welcome!  It sounds as though you've been doing your homework!  Please know that you're not alone.  We'll do whatever we can to help and be with you every step of the way.  Wishing you the best of results on 3/19 and an easy recovery!  Please let us know how your surgery goes...

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754

Drains are out, first Fill is next Tuesday then back to work on Wednesday.  I do have hesitations about the fills will go for me, since things were pretty taut at 60cc for Lefty when TEs were put in.  First fill will be 30cc and the next week about 50-60.  

I'm hoping I'll take it well since as of the second fill they will be done on my Lunch hour and I'll go back to work right after.

enjoy the day!

• sandra4611

Galsal, fills are quick, especially with the small amount of 30cc's. I always spent twice as long waiting for the PS to come into the room than it took to do the fill. There is no recovery time needed so you can go back to work easily. Even with my biggest fill, I didn't notice tightness until that evening.

MissMaples, come on over to our March 2014 Surgeries thread. We are all waiting for our various March dates and supporting each other.

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836

The fills themselves are quick. Just dont be thrown by the Frankenstein size needle and syringe they fill with the fluid! 

• whitenack

DW's fills were quick and painless (at 75cc a pop), although she did complain of tightness at the end of the day.  She tried to stay on top of taking some advil and icing them the rest of that day, which may be difficult if you are at work.  DW's PS used a butterfly needle attached to a small tube, which then connected to the monster syringe.  The butterfly needle made it seem much less intimidating.  Enjoy the fill process.  I thought it was really neat seeing her change from fill to fill. 

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754

Thanks for the input.  The hard part for me will be to lay flat on my back.  After having done a failed Diep, the ab muscles ain't what they used to be and I must manuver myself around when I do lay down like that.  Oh well...

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923

Hi all,

It's so nice to have this thread where you can come and chat about TE's. I've been following it for some time and even consulted with Whippetmom :)

I just got back from my 2nd fill for my Allergans 133MX-15-T. Only did 50 cc's during this visit. Currently I'm at 360 and 380.  I'm thinking it would be nice to take it slow. I'm not sure where I'm going with this yet. At first I thought I'd only go as big as I was before (38C), but now I'm undecided. I think I need to try on some bras and Tshirts. I'm told that how much they fill is totally up to me. They don't overfill or make any recommendations on how "big" to go. Things are moving along okay so far altho my left TE seems bigger than the other one, but I know that's pretty common for them to look uneven, and the docs like the cancer side to be bigger, I think. I know I'm still a work in progress. I tried on my old bra and it's sooo different! I'm wider now than I was before and worry that I'll get even wider with more expansion. I don't want to have balloon boobs. I realize that TE's and implants just don't have the projection. I asked about this and my PS said he could use fat grafting or lipo??? to fill in cleavage and for more projection - without having to do more expansion. Just so hard to envision the final effect. They should have a computer program for that, don't ya think? They have them for everything else!!!

Just curious - is everyone planning on going bigger than they were before bc?

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

galsal - I got in the habit of pre-medicating before a fill.  I would take a hydrocodone, ibuprofen, and a valium just to be safe.  After several fills I quit all that and didn't have any problems. Oh, and I didn't drive myself when I pre-medicated Loopy

• mmtagirl
    mmtagirl Member Posts: 325

bc101, I am not planning on going back to my original size which was 34dd.  I am actually liking the smaller look already and hoping something like a C cup.  No more Dolly Parton for me!

Good luck with whatever size you choose!

• AZ85048

Galsal - My PS never had me lay down for a fill and I had 9 of them.  The fills maybe took a minute or two each and then it was 'see you in two weeks'.  Uh, OK....   She had an exam table (I think) that had a piece that propped up so you were kind of sitting upright but still leaning back.  I know I didn't explain that very well, but the point is I never had to lay flat.  See if maybe yours can prop you up....ThumbsUp

• Tamiami
    Tamiami Member Posts: 39

Galsal~  I was just slightly reclined for fills.

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836

Me too. Sometimes sitting up, but later on leaning back, tilted on the table. Maybe a 60 degree angle.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,315

GalSal - I too sat up on the end of the table for all my fills. 

• sandra4611

I agree that the needle coming at you can be pretty intimidating My PS didn't use the butterfly...I got the big needle, but I couldn't feel a thing. Still, I found it better to look across the room at the nurse or my husband. It kind of makes your brain confused when you can't feel what you see.

Just like everyone else, I sat up for all my fills. When the PS places the TE's, the port that will be used for the fills is placed for easy access near the top. The port is located by the doc with a little magnetic tool that he slides over your skin. (You can probably feel your port...it is harder than the rest of the TE.) I always thought of it as a thin rubber eraser just under the skin. There was no effort...the needle slides right in. Once in awhile when the needle came out there was a single tiny drop of blood. Just press on it a second. I never needed a band aid and you can't even see where the fill was done if you look later.