Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• Piano-girl
    Piano-girl Member Posts: 14

Delia: so glad you're happy!!!  I just came back from a fill - I am at 280 now : )

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Delia....I am also very glad you are happy with your results!

• Mimi68
    Mimi68 Member Posts: 69

della-

Congrats!

I am at the other end of the spectrum at 650cc's and love love them!!

Hooray for us!!!!

Mimi

• whippetmom

Mimi68....Just saw your photos!  Wowza!! Singing  

• Mimi68

Hahahaha!!! Whippetmom I am so glad you looked!! Ok so aren't you our resident expert even shocked that 650cc doesn't look bigger?? I am very very happy and as you can see in my clothes, definitely not over the top stripper boob..i told my PS I will be his poster girl for life!  Would recommend him over and over..

Mimi

• whippetmom

Mimi68...Something I could not see or take into consideration though, are your broad shoulders.  So you needed the width and height of a larger implant.....

• Mimi68

Whippet mom:

Oh that wasn't meant to be snarky, you are excellent at advising us but everyone knows you have limitations as you can't see us live ! !

Your input regarding profule height and Mentor made me happy that he was using that on me.

Mimi

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754

Back to the front opening sports bras I spoke of before - any suggestions of those appropriate for TEs that have adjustable straps?  The ones I have are driving me up the wall.  The bottom of the bra line rides up and onto the breast since there's no way of adjusting the straps to let there be more room.  

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

Galsal,

That's annoying!! 

I don't have a sports bra recommendation. Duing my TE phase I just wore the Genie Bras. I got them at Bed, Bath& Beyond with the 20% coupon. They are stretchy enough to step into and pull up and the foam insert helped me look more even as I went though fills. 

But if a bra is riding up I would try a smaller band size. It should be snug enough that it doesn't move around. Just to check, use a cloth tape measure and measure your rib cage right under your breasts. Try on a bra with a band that is just 2-3 larger than your number. (Example: My rib cage is 31.5. My bra band size is 34.) 

• Galsal

Yes, I get that.  the structure from top of my shoulders to the IMF doesn't fit so well with bras.  this happens whether smaller band or not.  drives me nuts.  since have been flat for two years, hadn't thought of it.

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

Gotcha!! 

I googled and found this one:

http://www.herroom.com/anita-5523-active-front-clo...

Hopefully others will share some personal favorites!

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235

Galsal - I ran into the same problem.  I was unable to find a "temporary" bra at my local department store because all the stretchy front-close options that everyone wrote about on the reconstruction forums had fixed shoulder straps.  They were never long enough for me.  Someone (Whippetmom?) suggested https://www.marenagroup.com/comfortwear/ .  They specialize in post-surgical garments and are very helpful over the phone.  I still wear mine for sleeping.  Customer service is great.  If you tell them what stage you're at and what you need they should be able to find something that works for you with adjustable shoulder straps.

Best wishes!

• Galsal

Thanks for the input, Tina and Dulci.  I'll give them a call and see how it might work, based on my stage.  I'd been hoping there was something not as expensive as either of those since I need at least two to get through the expansion stage. 

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

Galsal...I tried that Anita sports bra that Dulci linked on before in the lingerie boutique here...was not quite strong enough for me for running pre-surgery but was sooooo comfortable. The band came low enough below the IMF that it should not rub. I have actually thought about it for my post-surgery bra as it was so comfortable! Only flaw is the band front is not adjustable so the band either fits or does not. Not as much flexibility for swelling, etc. More guesswork at needed cup size if you are still going through expansion and such.

I also did order a couple Marenas (B2 I think?) after talking to Marena for post-surgery and expansion and have tried them on pre-surgery, they are so comfortable too though I had to wash them a couple times to get the front closure to be less scratchy. It is nice that both the straps AND the front closure are adjustable. Very stretchy cups...you just buy your needed band size and do not worry about cup size which is nice! They can stretch along with expansion.

I even find myself wearing them for sleeping and lounging a few times pre-surgery! I found them for $40 USD. Try Marena itself, but also makemeheal, Amazon, image4you (something like that). Also, check your insurance...some insurance plans cover "prescription surgical bras" or the like. Your doctor may need to write a prescription,  but I thought I would point it out as it seems some people overlook this (I almost did on my own insurance plan through work!)

• Galsal

At least these work for me although they're not my preference since they're not cotton.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Loom-Seamless-Wirefree-Front-Close-Bra-Style-FT308/22360094

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836

there's a while thread about bras also

• Galsal

will hunt it up. 

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Bras 101: Great Post Exchange Debate (I think that's it):

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/...

• Galsal

already found it, reading.  Thank You.

• della0309
    della0309 Member Posts: 6

thank you guys! I think in the end its all just a relief after so long of being unsure about everything! 650ccs!!!! I cant imagine! Lol i bet you look great!!! I was just not meant to be a big boobied girl i guess😊 ill survive!!! Haha

• Savedbygod
    Savedbygod Member Posts: 24

I used to be 32ddd I asked surgeon if I could stay the same size for my bras I just had replacement for my expander surgery he used naturelle 410 ff 535cc my expanders were filled to720cc and I now look very flat and sagging is that because of the compression bra will I be able to fit in my old bras

• RoseBuds
    RoseBuds Member Posts: 28

Hi

Thought I would give you some updated info.  I am about to have my last fill, I will have 875cc on each side and my PS wants to do my exchange on April 4th.  We are having a meeting next week to talk about what needs to be done to tidy up as I have some dog ears that he wants to remove.  I do have some projection but smaller than my original breasts. I worry that the implants will be two small?  What should I be asking my PS next week?

Kathy

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750

In my experience, the implant is a good deal smaller than the TE. They don't stick out nearly as far and fortunately don't have that "stripper boob" look. My TE and implant had the same volume but the implant looks nearly half the size as far as projection goes. The width is the same. TE's are designed with a hard back to make sure all the saline pushes OUT so it stretches your skin and muscle. The implant doesn't have a hard back and it allows the implant to fall back a bit and conform to your chest wall.

• whippetmom

Mimi68:  I have had two other gals end up with too small implants because, after tissue dissection, the mastectomy defect left concavaties of the chest wall.  So in these cases, the implants we discussed were too small and larger implants were required.  Something, of course, the plastic surgeon should have realized, but did not adjust for accordingly.  I am glad your PS pushed the envelope and gave you what you needed....which is why you ended up with the right size!

• whippetmom

RoseBuds:  Talk to your doctor about two different styles and types of implants.  One is a high profile smooth round silicone with a volume of 800 ccs.  The other is a Mentor 2000 saline, moderate plus profile, which has a fill volume of 800 ccs to 960 ccs.  With the silicone 800 ccs, I believe you will be smaller than you are now, but not substantially.  

• whippetmom

SavedbyGod:  I do not think you will be the same size you were prior to BMX with the anatomicals.  I think it will be quite easy to get you there, but these are probably not the implants to fulfill the task.  Please read #3 in the thread header and provide me with the information required.  I need to know about your tissue expanders.  The exact style, width, volume.  The information is in your medical record or you might have been given a card with this information at the time of your surgery.

• whippetmom

Sports Bras:  Look at the Bendon Max Out sports bra.  ThumbsUp

• Savedbygod

allergan natrelle 410 style ff 535 cc I am 5ft 5 in 125lbs 

• Savedbygod

30 inch ribcage