Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• linda505
    linda505 Member Posts: 395

Thanks for the link whippetmom - you also suggested the 20 for me with 500 cc and I am very pleased with the outcome.  I think I look as good as some of those after photos LOL

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

Galsal - Thinking of you this morning and praying for no more surprises for you - today or ever again.  Just quick and complication free healing with spectacular results!  ThumbsUp

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360

I'm wishing you a great surgery, Galsai!

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Galsal:  Ditto to what everyone else has said!  Hoping you end up with the results you desire!! 

• 409anne
    409anne Member Posts: 2

Hello Whippetmom,

I sent you some photos via PM. Please let me know if you did not receive them. Thanks!

• dianems
    dianems Member Posts: 46

Great website for photos whipetmom!  Wish I had seen this before my exchange, I may have gone bigger.  :)  I received the Allergan 20, 425cc....but maybe I could have gone to 450cc......  I really wanted to be the same size as before, 34DD, and it seems that I am, so far. Yesterday was my 1 week post-op visit and everything is healing OK.   I went bra shopping today and was fitted with a Curvy Kate Starlet 32E and a Wacoal 32DD Clear Comfort for sleeping.  My PS said No sports bras unless they have 2 separate molded cups. No soft genie bra either.   He did some medial pocket work to try and bring the new breasts closer together.  My sternum naturally sticks out a bit right at the cleavage spot.  So, I need bras with a lot of lateral support -- push them in, but not up.   Thanks so much for your help. 

• whippetmom

dianems: Look at Chantelle, Freya, Fantasie and Panache bras.  Some of these bras are known for their good lateral support.

• WindingRoad
    WindingRoad Member Posts: 7

Hi everyone! I'm currently getting expanded on my non radiated side, with the plan to have a lat flap on my radiated side. I'm having a hard time visualizing what my results will look like and more so, how to be able to communicate effectively on what I'm looking for to my PS. It's late and I'm exhausted, but I'll be back to update more. This is such an amazing group of ladies with an abundance of knowledge!

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754

Finally in the Squishy Club!  Surgery went well.  This is the first one I've come out well from.  I've not slept yet since getting home about 1pm.  About to now though.  

Whippetmom...I now have Natrelle 20 Style High Profile Smooth Round Silicone at 700 cc's in both breasts.  I thank you with much-o gusto for your input.

PS almost forgot about removing the mudflaps.  Thankfully my friend spoke up before he'd entirely put away the marking pen.  He was like, oh that's right. 

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

YAY, Galsal!  Welcome to the squishie side!  (You sure took you time getting here...) Loopy

• whippetmom

Galsal:  Ohhh...so glad you have 700 ccs!  That makes me happy!  ThumbsUp  How could he forget about the mud flaps?  Yikes!  He was staring at your breasts!  I think he just wanted to let that slip by and so I am so glad your friend spoke up!  

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754

He was a good actor if slipping it by.  Naw, he'd planned on it that's why OR was reserved for two hours instead of just one.  Was a bit under the time planned on.

I'd seen that bit wasn't on the consent signed that morning but figured they know what they're doing;  It was a different consent in addition to what I'd done had been completed and signed at his office.  Soon as she spoke up, his facial reaction was surprise and his response was like oh that's right the plan was to work through incisions made for resection of the mudflaps, it's all coming back to me now.  

When I hit shower day, will post the photos up on the picture site.  Both of the friends from here separately spoke of how well the upper pole area worked, knowing of course swelling there too.

Praying that any fat grafting will not mess with the incisions from placing the TEs.  I want to schedule for my Vinny job!!!

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

SO HAPPY FOR YOU, GALSAL!!!!! ThumbsUpThumbsUpThumbsUp

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750

Galsal, we are thrilled that you finally got your implants and things are going well. XXOO  Florida girls ROCK!

• Susan456
    Susan456 Member Posts: 7

Hi all. I'm new here because I just discovered this site. I had a left-side mastectomy with implant reconstruction, and this Thursday I'm having the expander replaced with the implant and my right side lifted and possibly reduced to match.

I'm nervous about sizing. My weight goes up and down a bit.  Is there anyone here who has an implant on one side? Do weight changes cause problems for you?  

I did at one point have an anxiety attack that I should have chosen DIEP to avoid this issue.  But I had a strong reaction at the time that the less invasive surgery was the right choice for me.

Thanks for your help!

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750

Hi Susan. Should have, would have, could have...we all know those feelings. Some of us have something like buyers remorse after we see what we look like, even if before surgery we were sure we'd made the right choice. DIEP is a big surgery and I applaud the women who chose that path, but it's not for everyone. You made the right decision for you with the information you had at the time. From here, Whippetmom will be able to help you. Did you read the entire header? She will need certain measurements and maybe a private message with a photo since you are a "Uni." She will want to know the kind of the expander you have now. Hopefully they gave you a little manufacturers card with that info. What kind of implant is your doctor planning to use?

• whippetmom

Susan: weight fluctuation can change the size of the native breast, but to what degree this would cause a bothersome asymmetry depends on how MUCH weight you gain and lose. If it is two to four pounds up or down, this should not be too much of a concern.

• dianems
    dianems Member Posts: 46

Whippetmom,   Yesterday I went to Nordstroms.  I am fortunate that my local store has a certified mastectomy / prosthesis fitter.  She recommended a Chantelle.   I have that tenting between my breasts and some of the other bras would rub too much on that area. I only bought one in case there is swelling and the size changes in a month or so. So now I have 2 bras for day and 2 for night.   I forgot to tell  you that the PS did do the lateral capsulorraphy when he opened the medial pocket.  I tried on some old clothes and they fit fine!  

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610

has anyone experienced bottoming out with alloderm and had it revised with strattice and did it work?

thanks

• whippetmom

Stix:  Here is an interesting comparison by a California MD....You should talk to your PS about Seri-Scaffold.  The only problem is, I think that not every plastic surgeon is approved to USE Seri-Scaffold.  

Paul Chasen MD writes:

"Alloderm is human cadaver dermis, Strattice is porcine (pig) dermis, and Seri is a purified silk mesh. Each has specific properties for specific purposes. Having used all three, I have some comments. The biologics, Alloderm and Strattice, tend to thin the capsular tissues, and I use these more for patients with capsular contracture in revisionary breast surgery. In those patient for breast reconstruction after mastectomy, especially if I'm using an expander, I tend to use Alloderm because it is thinner, encorporates into the tissues more readily, and stretches more.  In some cases, you don't want as much stretch, so I will use the thicker Strattice. Seri is best used for revisionary breast surgery to reinforce a capsulorrhaphy (suturing the pocket), for a breast that falls to the side, bottomes out, or symmastia (uniboob). Seri thickens tissues, and I also use it for implant wrinkling. In summary, each of the materials has very specific properties that I can exploit to get the best result. I hope that helps."

• Susan456
    Susan456 Member Posts: 7

Thanks for the help. I lost a bit of weight before surgery. I was hoping to get down to the weight I want to be, but my friends told me not to--that that would be stressful if I couldn't maintain it.  So I'm at a weight now that I am comfortable with and I know I can maintain.  I'd like to lose five more pounds from where I am, but not much more than that.  So I guess I've got a comfort zone for  a bit of up and down around this point.

• Stix

Thank you whippetmom.  I am working with two PS presently. Got two opinions.  So I will mention to both and see if either uses. My second opinion told me right off the bat that my surgeon who did the revision did not do a bad job.  I mentioned that I know she didn't. She did what she could with what she had to work with- stretched tissue

• Stix

whippetmom- I was looking online to see who does this type of biol. mesh in Michigan and look what I have found. Have you ever heard of this.  quite interesting.  https://asps.confex.com/asps/2012am/webprogram/Paper21056.html

• whippetmom

Stix:  I knew about that cylider device.  I know of one gal who had it done.  I am more happy than anything though, to have a PS name for South Dakota!  Thank you for posting this.  That is a state for which I have a dearth of information. A board certified PS no less!

• Stix

Its such an advancement for womens health -Happy. do you know who manufactures this?

• Stix

oh, I See ... cook medical.

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

Galsal:  CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!  So very happy for you

Happy

• whippetmom

More info Stix

Cook

• Stix

that is great. thanks for posting that. great for womens health...