Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

What type of implant has the most natural feel?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,310

Jilly - sorry to say it's just not that easy an answer. Like everything else in this dumb BC treck, it depends on lots of things. I always had relatively hard breasts (I'm assuming courtesy of fibrocystic disease). I found the Allergan 410 anatomical implants (original gummies) no harder than my natural breasts. Some people say they're harder, but not for me.

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Hi, I am still in chemo, but it helps to think that there is a light at the end of this very long tunnel. So, I am wondering what you think. My expander ID card says Allergan 133FX-14-T 650cc also says SN 19661653, whatever that means. I wore a 36 C bra before, but it had light padding. I measure 33 inches around, under my expanders where a bra would go. I am 5' 7" and weigh 145 lbs.

I have been reading all these posts. I would like to be a full 36 C or even D! I am currently filled to 550 cc. There are little valleys and some extra space in them, but do you think I have to have more fills? Not pleasant. Chemo is bad enough!

I was thinking 650 cc implants. Is that enough? Too much? I do not want the big round curves that I see on teenagers in there tank tops. That looks do fake. This is a big decision because I want this to be my LAST surgery! What do you think? Thank you!

By the way, thank you for all the tips and information you give on other boards too!

If you need a picture, I can PM a selfie. Never did that before!! LO

• mysunshine48

Continued.....I was just reading back a few pages, again, and see that you mentioned Natrelle Inspira, so I googled them. Sounds good. I am wondering if my PS has used them, or if he would have them, since they are new. Website says FDA approved them in February. ? RealSelf had good reviews. I want nice projection, but do not want to look overdone, if you know what I mean. I am 66 years old. No , 66 years young.

• farmerjo

Another thing I do not like about my anatomical gummies - when you squeeze, it takes more than a few beats before they return to their original shape. The 'rebound' is slow. Yuk. Just like pitting edema of the lower extremities, for all the medical folks out there.

• RAK1
    RAK1 Member Posts: 97

Jilly I just sent you a pic of my implants, nice and soft. sorry it's upsidedown

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Jilly: If you are experiencing this firmness with the anatomicals, the smooth silicone rounds will feel much softer to you.

• whippetmom

mysunshine48: Yes, Allergan Style 20, 650 ccs, should be a nice size for you. If you choose an Allergan anatomical, it would be the Allergan 410, FX-615 gms implant. You might need to continue with fills for the anatomical. Anoher option is the new smooth, round Allergan Inspira, the SRX or SSX - 610 gms.

• farmerjo

Thanks WhippetMom and Robin!Winking

• rebecca54
    rebecca54 Member Posts: 67

Wow I am so glad I stumbled upon this! Once I find out from the PS which expanders I have and all the other info do I just post it here and you can help me? O gosh I need help! lol

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

Rebecca54 - Yes, our dear whippetmom is the best! (She's known around here as 'the breast whisperer'!) Get your information in order and then just post it here - if you're comfortable with that. (And if you add a picture of a cute whippet puppy to your post... well, it can't hurt.)

• mysunshine48

Wippetmom, Thank you! But, what are anatomical implants? How do they differ from smooth round? And, I read that the muscle pushes the implant flat. What does this really mean in terms of projection? Would 700 be too large? And, why are Natrelle Inspira in grams? How does that relate to cc? Sorry for all the questions, but I hope to get this right the first time with no more surgeries. I thank you VERY much!

• mysunnyday
    mysunnyday Member Posts: 7

Hi all,

I had my exchange done on June 8th. I'm a bit disappointed. My chest is nowhere near the size of my TE and a have ripples. I had hoped to be a little bigger and had no idea there would be so much rippling...I look ok in a T-shirt, but don't think I'll ever be able to wear v necks or a swimsuit. I'm so boney on the top part of my chest and then there are the ripples. If I stand up perfectly straight it looks fine, but as soon as I move or bend over it looks aweful! I guess I should have done more research. My PS said I have thin skin. Really? And this is the best I will ever be? Very discouraged that I look like this after all that I have been through. I had hope that at least I would have nice looking fake boobs. : (. Maybe I am just being vain. I really am grateful to have survived breast cancer and that I am alive.

• mysunshine48

Whippetmom, Why would there be rippling, in your opinion?

• tbabe
    tbabe Member Posts: 3

Hi there WhippettMom

Had double mastectomy may13-2015..  Im 59 years old  5'7" 193 lbs   My measurement around my chest is 39"..  My expanders are Allergan 133MX-14-T

600cc"  and SN19724195 and SN19904156.  I am BRCA@ positive and had y ovaries out at the same time.  Im being treated at Stanford With Dr. Gordon Lee.

What are your suggestions for implants and sizes please.

Thanks so much   Tbabe

• whippetmom

Anatomicals vs rounds

mysunshine: Anatomical implants are firmer (here in the U.S.) than round implants. They are shaped and have somewhat of an oval appearance. Some plastic surgeons prefer anatomicals, and some prefer rounds.

There are threads here on bc.org regarding anatomicals, the most popular is "Gummy Bear Implants Anyone"....or something like that

Rippling is typically a complication in breast reconstruction because of thin tissue overlying the implant. Some of the newer implants, the Inspira (with a higher fill level) and the anatomicals are said to help with rippling. However, even with anatomicals there can be rippling. Most of us have had fat graft transfer to address the rippling issue.

RE: Grams vs cubic centimeters.....just different units of measure. They are essentially the same

• mysunshine48

Thank you

• whippetmom

tbabe: I would suggest the following:

Allergan Style 45, 800 ccs. Once you get o 600 ccs you will see you need this size to approximate what you have with the tissue expanders.

I think that the corresponding anatomical implant might be too small. However, that would be a 410-MX - 550 grams or 620 grams. Another good option would be the new Allergan Inspira, 695, 745 or 800 grams.

• whippetmom

macb04 : Please read #2 in the thread header. I need more information regarding your TEs. Also, hard to determine sizing without knowing the size of your native breast...fiirm, droopy, will you have a lift or reduction or augment with a small implant? You might need to PM me with photos

• whippetmom

PhillyEmma: Please read #2 in the thread header. Not enough information re: your TEs.

• LoriWNY
    LoriWNY Member Posts: 178

Mysunshine48--I have had both Mentor silicone round and Allergan silicone anatomical implants. In my opinion, my current Allergan silicone anatomical implants are only slightly firmer than my former Mentor silicone round implants when I squeeze them. I am happier with the anatomicals (how they feel and look on my body) than I was with the rounds, however, everyone's body is different and some plastic surgeons prefer one style over another. There is the risk of rotation with the anatomicals which is not a factor with rounds because round is always round, no matter which way the round implant rotates. If an anatomical implant rotates, there is discomfort and disfigurement because the anatomicals are narrower with less projection at the top than at the bottom (picture an upside down natural breast!). A plastic surgeon needs to be skilled in the placement of anatomical implants and he/she needs to make sure they are secured tightly in the pocket (think an internal underwire bra created with sutures).

• mysunnyday

Hi Whippetmom,

So, do you think a fat graft would help? I wonder how involved that would be. I'm going to see my PS tomorrow. My implants are Allergan Natrelle 260cc. I wonder if the implants were bigger if the rippling would still show. I really don't know what to think or do. Thank you to everyone out there reading this. It is really hard to find anyone who can relate to this issue.

• whippetmom

mysunnyday: Could you private message me and attach photos? I am suspecting that your pockets are larger than your implants. I would like to see what is going on before determining that fat graft transfer will be the solution. The little landscape icon next to the goggles icon in the task bar just above this reply box will allow you to attach photos..but privately please! Singing Do not despair....this can be rectified

• whippetmom

.....and you are NOT vain!!!

• mysunnyday

Thank you Whippetmom!

• mysunshine48

Mysunnyday, I am certainly no expert......asking whippet mom questions too, but 260 cc's does not seem very much. My PS filled my expanders with 400 cc's at the time of my surgery. With implants, we don't have our own Breast tissue, which is why implants need to be bigger......from what I understand.

• mysunnyday

hi mysunshine48,

Yes, I don't know what to think. I was an A cup before the mx and wanted to be a B cup after reconstruction. I don't think I'm a B cup. And, I can deal with that if only the top of my breast looked right. I will see my PS today and discuss my concerns. I really didn't do any research on this. Just trusted my PS as she comes highly recommend. I'm also torn with the fact that I should just be happy I survived and not worry about physical appearance. Anyway, hoping my PS will calm my anxiety today.

Thanks for listening. XO

• mysunshine48

Just my opinion, but I would let your PS know how unhappy you are. I am all about being proactive. I question everything my doctors say......Imdo my own research and so far, it has paid off. I would ask for a revision with new implants. Ask Whippetmom what she would suggest for you. Look at her heading here and give her your information.....now.....before you see the PS.

• Rayhanna
    Rayhanna Member Posts: 4

hi im a doctor myself diagnosed 3 months ago operation in four days...going for direct to implant reconst..ie single stage and wondering if its a good idea..two tiny lumps one dcis and other invasive...im a current 32b/c saggy 40 yr old.mum of 4...115 pounds 5ft 6...doctor suggested 350cc silicone...i understandeasurements are imp but id appreciate it if u can suggest a comfortable size i would have liled to go a little larger..thanku for youe time

• Rayhanna
    Rayhanna Member Posts: 4

hi im a doctor myself diagnosed 3 months ago operation in four days...going for direct to implant reconst..ie single stage and wondering if its a good idea..two tiny lumps one dcis and other invasive...im a current 32b/c saggy 40 yr old.mum of 4...115 pounds 5ft 6...doctor suggested 350cc silicone...i understandeasurements are imp but id appreciate it if u can suggest a comfortable size i would have liled to go a little larger..thanku for youe time..iam between 28 and thirty under ribcage