Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

badgergirl: If Memoryshape, definitely the higher volume mentioned. Personally I would prefer the Allergan Inspira, SRX or SSX, 415 gms.

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangeles/news/2015/02/27/fda-approves-allergans-natrelle-inspira-implants.html

• Badgergirl
    Badgergirl Member Posts: 41

Thank you Whippetmom! ThumbsUpHeart

• Mersk
    Mersk Member Posts: 7

I am probably overly conscious because these TEs are so much bigger than I was previously. I am still a couple of months away from my exchange surgery. I'll let you know how discussions with the PS go. Thank you so much

• patriciahurtado
    patriciahurtado Member Posts: 85

Lady's surgery is over!!! My hubby said the gummies description is 620cc I was wondering is that a lot? I see them small? He did fat graphing from my stomach and thighs I'm don't have fat from my thighs where did get it from. But I'm happy I want see them but I can't. My ladies what should I expect? They don't look big like the expanders. What is 620cc in our world?

• Eee3
    Eee3 Member Posts: 20

thank you for all the information. I have an appointment next week to have another fill. I just misunderstood and wasn't sure if I needed more.

I will keep you posted on How things go!

• greenae
    greenae Member Posts: 246

hi Whippetmom

I am having a left Recon with implant and a right reduction/ lift. I currently have an Allergan TE 133 MV 15, filled to 600cc

I am 5'6", 155 lbs and a 34G on the right, 700g of tissue was removed from left breast during mx.

I asked to "downsize" to C-D

My PS plans to use an Allergan silicone round implant.

Trying to figure out how he will size, especially since reduction/lift occurring at same time. Do you have an idea of implant for me?

Thank you for your help!

Arlene

• whippetmom

greenae:

Depends on amount of available skin. Even with the reduction/lift, you will have ptosis (droop) which needs to be replicated as best as possible by the choice of an implant on the MX side. A Natrelle Inspira might be a good choice - SSF or SRF 675 gms. The size and choice of style/profile all depends on what is achieved with your native breast. If you need more upper pole fullness on the MX side, a Sientra smooth round might be a good choice. I just think with your prior breast size and what might be remaining in terms of your skin envelope, anatomicals might be too risky - too much risk of rotation.

• greenae

thank you, Whippet

Prettysure my PS is using aN Allergan Natrelle round. He already nixed the highly cohesive and anatomical. I seem to have plenty of skin and ptosis.ugh. So worried about how he will achieve symmetry. I look pretty scary right now. Would posting a pic help? I am just wondering if I should be suggesting anything to him?

Thanks so much!

Arlene

• whippetmom

greenae: Then it could possiblybe Allergan Style 15, 575 ccs or 616 ccs, or Style 20, 750 ccs to 800 ccs.

• greenae

thank you, whippet!!

• BoxerM
    BoxerM Member Posts: 3

Hello, I am new to the Forum, and hope you can help me. I have been trying to figure out what size implant will achieve my desired goal.

I had nipple/skin sparring BMX 4/20/15. Mentor med height 450cc TE's, currently filled to 400cc. I am 58 yrs old, 5ft 2in, 129 lbs, and 31in around my ribcage.

Before sx, I was a 34A and would like to be a full B. With my current fill, it appears to be the size I want, but would prefer more projection. I understand implants tend to have less projection than TE's. Is it posssible to get more projection without getting more fullness?

I am considering anatomicals, and my PS agrees (hear from his staff that he prefers anatomicals with his breast recon. pts). I want a more natural look.

I was originally thinking of mod. profile anatomicals (PS prefers Mentor), but note that projection is much less than TE. Even the high profile projections of similar sizes are still less. Is my TE at this fill (400cc) already at max. projection? I am afraid of looking too full if I go with high profile. Also, does the implant tend to get squashed under the muscle, even though pocket created?

I would greatly appreciate your suggestions. I go back next week for possibly another and last fill. I know anatomicals need to fit pocket to prevent rotation, which I am concerned with.

• whippetmom

The best Mentor anatomical (and Mentor's anatomicals have dimensions that never come close to those of the tissue expanders) would be 495 ccs in a moderate height full projection style. Anything with less projection and it is going to be quite flat. If you are going for projection, instead ask for Mentor's smooth silicone round 590 ccs. Dimensions of your TEs. 12.7 width and 7.0 cm projection. Dimensions of the Mentor round ultra: 12.5 cm width and 6.3 cm projection. You will need to fill to 450 ccs... There is no way to get projection without fullness. Otherwise, they would be torpedos.

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

"Torpedos"...LOL Whippetmom! That's exactly what my husband told me he wants!Shocked

• krikbrand
    krikbrand Member Posts: 3

Hi!  I am new to this site and looking for some advice.  I am a 44 yo and had bilateral nipple/skin sparing mastectomies in June for DCIS of the right breast.  No radiation/chemo.  I currently have tissue expanders in place and feel they look very wide and kind of flat (a little matronly looking Winking).  They were kind of wide (14cm width each) preop and a little droopy but I was hoping with reconstruction they would look a little rounder and more youthful.  Is there still hope?  Can the implants look different from the tissue expanders?  I don't want really large breasts and would like them perkier vs bigger and wider.  Because they were wider previously, does that mean that is all they can do now? I was previously a large C/small D cup (wore a 36C vs 34D) and would like to be more of a B/C cup. 

I am 5'4", weigh 132lbs, ribcage measures 32 inches.

This is the information I have from my surgery: 

GRAFT/IMPLANT INFORMATION:

Catalog/Model #: 133MX-13-T, Implant Name:  natrelle-expander mod tab 500cc, Manufacturer: Allergan, Inc., Implant

This is what was removed:

"right breast mastectomy nipple sparing" is 295 gram, 17.0 (M-L) x 3.4 (A-P) x 16.0 (S-I) cm

"left breast mastectomy nipple sparing" is 315 gram, 17.3 (M-L) x 3.5 (A-P) x 19.5 (S-I) cm

This was the preop description:

Breasts: Bilateral breasts, mild ptosis. Breast width is 14 cm bilaterally. Nipple to notch distance is 22.5 cm bilaterally.

This is the current fill:
    Implant type: Allergan 133 MX-13-T - Current cc: Right breast: 500 cc.

CC instilled today: Right breast: 140 cc of air removed (filled with air during surgery), saline amount added today 170. Total cc: Right breast: 170 cc. (Left breast is the same)

(I think this means that there is only 170cc of saline in an implant that holds 500cc but they are already plenty big (and wide).

No idea what the PS uses for implants although he showed me a round silicone one in the office.  I am currently seeing a PA for fills and post-op visits and won't see the plastic surgeon again until closer to the surgery but I have all of these questions.  (Also if I can get rounder/fuller implants, should I have the expanders expanded more than current - I can tell them when to stop and I feel they are full enough already.)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• whippetmom

krickbrand:

Your TEs are only 13.0 cm wide. Not too wide at all. Ofttimes they appear wide when they are underfilled, and then appear more proportioned as fills continue. I would recommend Allergan Style 20, 500 ccs, or Allergan Style 15, 371 or 397 ccs. Style 20 has more projection than Style 15. They will give you that round, full appearance. I would suggest that youcontinue with fills. The width will not change with fills. You will gain more projection and that additional expansion is needed for good skin closure over the implant.

• BoxerM

Thanks for your advice. My concern with round implants is that it may give too much upper pole fullness, which will not look as natural (especially since I was a small A to begin with). Also, I have a hollow spot one one side below my collar bone and just above my breast. My PS thinks the anatomical may help fill it out. Do you agree with that? It seems the anatomical may still sit below that hollow spot.

Another question I have is since implants are softer than TE's, will they tend to get flattened out under the muscle, and lose even more projection?

• krikbrand

Thank you so much for your response! A couple more questions. If I have them fill them more and they are larger than I want, is that a problem for when they put in the implant? What happens to the extra skin? Also they used alloderm with the surgery, would that be adding to the look of width? Does that remain with the implants or is the alloderm only used with the expanders? Also to clarify, I want rounder breasts then current but not the kind that look like they are obvious and just stuck on. Would your recommendation be the same? I really appreciate your advice. thank you

• BoxerM

Hi kirkbrand!

My TE's are almost the same width as yours (mine are Mentor, 12.7 cm), but I'm sl. Smaller than you on top. My TE's do not look too wide, so yours should be ok.

You do get fuller with each fill, and a lot rounder. You still only have a sm. amount of fill; that's why they don't seem too full. I am currently at 400cc with a 450 cc TE, and I am pretty full;but I want a more natural look and don't care too much for upper pole fullness, so I was considering anatomicals. It seems it's hard to get better projection w/o getting too much fullness.

Alloderm is used to form the bottom pocket where the TE and eventually the implant will sit. It is attached to the lower border of the pec's muscle (which forms the upper pocket), and is permanent. I don't think it adds to the width; it is also used to form the lower lateral border of the pocket though.

• krikbrand

Thank you, BoxerM. I feel like they already seem big so am kind ofafraid to add more but I guess it can't hurt to do another till and see how that changes things.

• whippetmom

BoxerM: You do lose projection to some extent, but it depends on the style and volume of the implant in relation to your TEs. The anatomical in Mentor, for you, would be, as I mentioned, 495 ccs, moderate height, full projection. I do not see you losing too much in terms of projection, but it all depends on the individual body type, how implants appear on the chest wall and there can be so many variables. This is why I would hope your PS would ALSO bring silicone rouunds into the OR, to see what looks best.

• MsVeryDenseBreasts
    MsVeryDenseBreasts Member Posts: 20

Hi there. Advice needed. Looking at PMBX options. I'm 5'6", 105 lbs and 28 inches around the rib cage under the bra line. I had been a 34C but have lost some upper fullness as menopause approaches. Would like to remain same size and if possible restore the upper fullness a bit. I have a breast surgeon but not a PS yet so I don't have a preference that's been dictated to me. I'd be very interested in your recommendation for the best restored natural look for my size before I meet with a PS so I have some frame of reference. My natural breast are more of a teardrop shape, which I'd like to retain if at all possible. Thanks much. So appreciative you are here.

• Falconmarks
    Falconmarks Member Posts: 11

Hello Whippetmom

I am new here. I got my double Mast 5/13 with TEs put in with first fill of 250 cc. I was given a little card that have the information on it so I hope I am giving the right stuff to you. The TEs are MENTOR breast implant size : 350cc-420cc. This is what it says on the card but I am tight filled right now at 430ccs.

My bra size before surgery was 38 C. I am 5'7" tall 130 pounds. I would like to keep my large breast size but if this is as big as I can go with these TEs then fine with me because I'm done with the pain anyway. My rib cage measurement that the PS did was 36". I think I heard my dr say he likes using the Mentor but I am not 100% sure. I would like to get some projection but not obnoxious, it seems like the TEs are pretty flat and go under my arm and spread out like pancakes even though they are fitting in a bra now, sorta, lol

Thank you for ANY help or suggestions you may have, I am overwhelmed.

FalconMarks - Teri

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610

Has anyone started a new job and went on a leave of absence before the 12 month federal guidelines. I may have a job offer coming up and I know I have to have another surgery.

What are your experiences.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258

stix - FMLA provides job protection, so if you go out prior to eligibility I don't think your employer is bound by law to hold your position.  Would your medical insurance be through this employer?  If so, without FMLA they are also not required to continue your employer sponsored health insurance.

• raleighgirl
    raleighgirl Member Posts: 56

hi whippetmom!

I had allergen 133fv-11 300cc TEs placed two weeks ago. I am 5'5 and 105lbs, 31" rib cage. I just want to be the same size I was before surgery(or actually before kids) which was a 32b. The ps filled them to 120ccs during surgery. What volume do you think I need to be a 32b and what would be a good size silicone implant? I had mentioned to the ps I want to look as natural as possible, and he recommended a tear drop shape.

• Stix

Hi SpecialK.

Yes, I know the federal law. But, I was curious if anyone actually did go on a leave b4 the year and what their experience was? It will be at a big corporation that i would work. Waiting to hear back after my interview...

• marketingmama
    marketingmama Member Posts: 62

Stix,

I went out on leave prior to my one year anniversary (I was about 5-6 months in) and was covered by short term disability. I took 6 weeks. My employer was very supportive and I didn't have to worry about job security. I think this sort of thing depends very much on the type of company in which you work, the actual job you do and the sensitivity of management around health issues. I am fortunate in that my employer is very focused on employee well being; however, it really seems heartless to imagine that any firm or manager wouldn't hold your job, especially if you have experience and expertise that are difficult or time consuming to replace.

Best of luck...

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258

stix - you could also pursue the possibility of an ADA accommodation in lieu of FMLA.  Due to unexpected circumstances I actually burned through my FMLA before I ever got to chemo - I had 4 unexpected surgeries and healing issues which caused a 14 week gap between surgery and the start of chemo.  I was in no shape to return to direct patient care decision making and work in a bio-hazardous environment.  My employee paid benefit short term disability ran concurrently with my FMLA.  My employer could have let me go at that point, but they were nice enough to give me an ADA accommodation and this enabled me to use employer paid benefit long term disability until I got through chemo and returned to work.  They based the accommodation on the fact that they had a construction delay in a new lab that a group of people were supposed to go to and they had closed the lab they had come from so they were hanging around with nothing to do until the new lab was completed.  They funneled those people through my job one at a time so my absence didn't cause any financial or personnel hardship. 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,310

Wow Special. There really are some nice people out in the business world.

• Stix

What is Ada special k. ?