Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

KBELL:

1. You will want to be in the 450 to 500 cc range with implants (if smooth silicone rounds) and mid to high 400 cc range if anatomicals are chosen. If you go with anatomicals, the TE needs to be selected with the specific anatomical implant volume and dimensions in mind. I would recommend a two-stage process - otherwise you will be smaller than you would like, especially considering that you were going in for an augmentation at the time of fortuitous diagnosis. I think TEs with a width of 12.0 cm to 14.0 cm in width would be good - it all depends on your current native breast width and chest wall characteristics. It is NOT a horrible thing - tissue expanders. You read threads and posts about the negatives, but that does not represent the majority of cases here on bc.org. I, for one, loved my tissue expanders and was reluctant to let them go, fearing the implants would be so much smaller. But I had a PS who listened to me...allowed me to select sizes and styles, and even gave me MORE than I asked for, because she knew (while I was knocked out in the OR) that it would require more volume to create the same appearance and that my skin stretched quite a bit and she wanted a nice snug fit. So instead of 475 ccs, I woke up with 550 ccs in a high profile smooth silicone round. Your PS needs to be on board and in tune with your desires.
  • Sunkissed
    Sunkissed Member Posts: 12

i am 5'3", 147 lbs, 29" circumference and 57 years old.

The TEs I had put in 4 weeks ago after bilateral mastectomies are PMT Integra 650 ml. 240 was added at initial surgery. I have not had a fill yet because i have a small area on one incision that is not infected but is still leaking the tiniest bit of fluid.

My PS mentioned he could use mentor, sientra, allergan or any brand cohesive silicone implant.

I was 34b prior to surgery.

Can you give me an idea of the implant style and size that might best work for me. I was hoping for a d size cup with a natural look when standing, laying down,etc. But dont want them to make me look fat. Or too unnatural. I gotta say the TEs are quite uncomfortable. Especially where they fold.

• whippetmom

Sunkissed:

Which style?

• Sunkissed
    Sunkissed Member Posts: 12

the surgery notes just say pmt integra expander lot 111314. Fill volume 650 mL.

I will ask my ps on thursday while i am there.

• whippetmom

Sunkissed:

Disregard. I see that both styles have similar dimensions. I would suggest Mentor ultra full projection smooth silicone rounds, 535 ccs or 590 ccs, or Allergan Style 45, (also a full projection style) 500 ccs to 600 ccs...essentially the volume that places you in a 12.0 to 12.5 cm width in this style.

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

Hello!

Pre-op tomorrow and in for revision on June 24.  I am trying not to feel discouraged - I am interested in what my primary care doctor will think when she sees me tomorrow.

So the plan is to correct the areola's (they don't match in size - healthy one is stretched); and look at the healthy breast to see if the implant has displaced.  If it has, he will remove, inspect to make sure it is not damaged and reinsert......if damaged, I asked him to possibly consider moderate profile for a little more but obviously I can't do that if the one removed is not damaged.  I feel disappointed....I didn't expect my breasts to look gorgeous but I also didn't expect my healthy breast to see kind of pancake-ish and the cancer one to still look the same, just a little bigger.  Naked, I am still sad.  The good news is that clothed they look the same volume.....

I'm sorry - I am down tonight and that's not like me!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,310

Dogs - this is the place to come when you're down, or mad or whatever. We do get it. Hang in there girl. Hope you get some pertinent comments from your PCP. Regarding the one he'll remove to inspect, I didn't think they could put an implant back in once it's been removed since it's no longer sterile. Anyway, something to check.

• mjh1
    mjh1 Member Posts: 263

dogsneverlie - I hope this revision will work for you, but in regard to removing the implant and putting it back in is a definite NO NO.  If this PS is even considering that, run.  If he takes the implant out, he MUST replace it with a new one, so therefore, you could change to a different profile if it would work for you.  I would even consider seeking a second opinion.

• whippetmom

I agree with mjh about seeking a second opinion. You do NOT want a moderate profile implant. It is extremely flat in profile

• marketingmama
    marketingmama Member Posts: 62

Hi Whippetmom,

I'm writing in hope that you can provide some advice regarding implant options. I recently had a nipple sparing double mastectomy. I have TEs in place now. My stats:

height: 5'2"

weight: 137

body type: slightly short waisted, fuller in hips and thighs, pretty flat tummy. would like to be sure I remain balanced in regard to my lower half but don't want to go too big or else I fear I'll look to heavy or wide. that being said, I am (or was) a pretty typical hourglass.

TEs: Mentor 450

I'd like to be a perky small C cup I think with some upper pole fullness but hope that's not too big. I was a smallish D cup on one side and full D on the other prior to a reduction and lift that I had in December 2014. Pathology results from this procedure confirmed my LCIS, which started this whole journey. I did not have an implant with my lift (for upper pole fullness) so I was left looking better but not quite as youthful as I'd hoped (was told only implants could provide that). I have photos posted on the picture forum (same user name) but I somehow have gotten myself locked out so would be great if you could write me back here or via PM if you have some advice. I can also PM you photos if you prefer. I was thinking anatomicals would look too droopy but worried that rounds might look to fake--sort of like having baseballs under the skin. Is there something you'd recommend that is in between? .

My first fill post surgery is next week and we haven't yet talked at great length about my end result. Well we have in regard to my wanting to be a C and not be much different than I was prior to surgery. He seemed to prefer rounds over anatomicals for me but still more chatting to do so I thought this might be a good time to get your expert opinion.

Thanks in advance!

Lesley

• pavlovsbell
    pavlovsbell Member Posts: 16

Hello all,

I am just beginning to start down this road. I've not yet had the BMX. My BS says I have to meet with the PS before they can secure a surgical date for me. My understanding is that they will place the TEs during the mastectomy surgery. I'm meeting with the PS today for the first time. One of my cancer center NP friends described him as "nice" but that his patients do not always have aesthetically pleasing results. Great. I feel like I don't want to "shop" around for another PS because I really want to hurry up and get in the OR and get this thing out of me. I'm hoping that those patients she spoke of simply weren't armed with good information to guide the process. I'm have lots of questions for him today, but want your opinion on what I should generally be aiming for.

I'm 5"3, 145 lbs, and measure 36 inches under my fold. I'm currently a very small B cup. I would like to certainly increase this to at least a very full C, but don't want to look as wide as a barn. I'm going to ask about his use of any brand exclusively. From what I've read, I think I should aim for a high profile, round silicone. Does that sound correct? Many thanks in advance!

Pavlovsbell

• whippetmom

marketingmama: Please read # 2 in the thread header. I need further information re: your TEs. You can PM me this with photos, if you like

• whippetmom

Pavlovsbell:A little late perhaps to help with your consultation, but I think that the goal of moderate plus profile/high profile, smooth silicone rounds, around 500 ccs, or MV or MX anatomicals in the mid 400 gm range, or even Sientra implants, smooth rounds, 500 cc range, would be a good size range for your frame. TEs with a width of 13.0 to 14.5 cm sound appropriate for your ribcage. What did your PS have to say today?

I have one name for Kentucky...a plastic surgeon who did fabulous work for one gal here on bc.org.

Dr. W

• marketingmama
    marketingmama Member Posts: 62

Thanks Whippetmom. Sent you two PMs---with pics and with more TE info. For others here, my TEs are Mentor CPX medium height (450cc)

• whippetmom

marketingmama: I messaged you

• MaryAgatha
    MaryAgatha Member Posts: 6

KBell. I just sent you a PM. I'm the same size as you and just got BMX with direct to implant two weeks ago. Hope this helps!

• macb04
    macb04 Member Posts: 756

Hi,

had a TE put in April 9th 2015. Is currently filled to 480cc's. Plan 2 more fills most likely. Will then wait over the summer for my skin to get used to being grown/stretched. I am a 36 c cup now and hope to remain that size with implant exchange and the lift of my real right breast in October. Think I want a shaped implant, want more realistic breast. Currently the inframammary fold under the TE looks odd, looks like a fat man boob, am hoping will look much better after exchange.

Don't really want upper pole fullness, would look strange compared to my real right, even after my breast lift. Anyone used shaped implants? How about what type for projection?

Sorry, don't know the TE brand, think PS said it is a 500cc size that he can overfill.

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467

macb04 - Please read the header for this thread carefully. Whippetmom will need the answers to all of those questions in order to make an informed recommendation for you... Good luck to you!

• macb04
    macb04 Member Posts: 756

oh forgot to say I am 5foot 5inches and weigh 160 pounds.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,310

macb04 - Whippetmom will need the exact specifics about your TE's. You can get that info from your PS. Also you'll need to measure your rib cage just under your breasts.

• whippetmom

In addition to what MinusTwo said above, you might want to send me photos, because it sounds as though your TE is not placed correctly. Private message me with photos.

• pavlovsbell
    pavlovsbell Member Posts: 16

Whippetmom,

Thank you so much for your recommendations. My internet went out for four days...grr! so I've been unable to get on here much. The plastic surgeon was really nice, took measurements, and so forth. He assured me that we would talk more about the types of implants as we got further down the road. I asked about specific TE sizes and I don't think he really answered my question. I also asked if he had a brand allegiance and he said he usually sticks with one brand, but they were "all basically the same." I guess I had hoped to feel more informed, especially since I had specific questions.

• PhillyEmma
    PhillyEmma Member Posts: 15

Sorry for the delay Whipp!!

My height is 5'3, weight 140-145. I have Allergan TE's 400cc but stopped at 320cc's.

• whippetmom

PhillyEmma: Read #2 in the thread header please

• PhillyEmma
    PhillyEmma Member Posts: 15

Apologies! So my lovely identification card reads:

Natrelle style 133V series. The actual stickers that came off the TE's read style 133MX 400cc with ref number 133MX-12 and SN number 19562000.

Hope that clarifies?

• whippetmom

PhillyEmma: : That was exactly what I needed!  I think Allergan Style 20, 475 ccs, would be a good size for you.  Certainly nothing smaller than 425 ccs.  I prefer 450 or 475 ccs, which should approximate what you have with your TEs.  Also, Allergan Inspira SSX might be a good choice..greater fill level than the regular rounds - 465 gms.  I just want to make sure you do not have too much excess skin overlying the implants at the end of it all. 

• wildfund
    wildfund Member Posts: 1

I'm a little unsure how to get input on the size I should aim for but I'll provide the info here and see if I can get some feedback. I see reference to EXCHANGE CITY, but am unsure if that's a separate site, would provide the info and, if so, how I would get there.

I've had bilateral Natrelle Style 133MV-14 TE's by Allergen placed on 4/15/15. I'm 5'6", 180b, 36" around chest (under expanders). I was 38C before 1st mastectomy and liked that proportion. I've had 430ml fills in each breast. One seems too small still (the breast that had the cancer, removed in Sep...second removed 4/15), while the other is larger and excess volume extends under the arm so every enlargements makes it rub a bit more. I'm scheduled for another fill in a few days, but hoped I might get some input first.

I'm leaning toward a gummy bear implant as I'm not fond of the shape of the rounds on top.

Soooo...do you think I should go for that last fill or wait to talk to the PS? What size implant would I be shooting for to get the look of a 38B or C cup?

Thanks for your help.

• whippetmom

I would find out first why the smaller TE is smaller.  Is it defective?  It might lend to some asymmetry, if the PS does not equalize the pocket size prior to the exchange.  The corresponding anatomical would be the Allergan 410, 525 gms.  If a round, Allergan Style 20, 600 ccs or preferably, 650 ccs.  I think that the TEs have displaced and/or one has malfunctioned, which is why the one TE is migrating laterally towards the armpit.  This would be corrected at the time of exchange.  You can always PM me a photo...using the landscape icon next to the goggles icon in the task bar.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610

Has anyone had their imf sutured with permanent sutures ?. My p.s.said he wanted to try this to correct bottoming out.

• mjh1
    mjh1 Member Posts: 263

stix - I had permanent sutures placed into my ribs when my IMF was raised.  It feels like you have bruised ribs for two weeks.