Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• rleepac
    rleepac Member Posts: 193

I'll be having BMX with TEs on Aug 18. I don't know the details of sizing yet and I'm just starting to do my research. I currently have silicone implants and I'm wearing a 32D but the cups aren't really full anymore so either my bra stretched or I dropped a size? I think I dropped a size because they don't seem as big as when I got them in 2008. MRI shows they are intact without any leakage.

Anyway, I'm 4' 11" tall, 103 lbs and my chest circumference is 30.5".

I want to end up with a true D cup, so a little bigger than I am right now. I know my current implants are 320 cc.

What should I be expecting for TE's and implants? It's been 7 years since I did any of this research!

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

cheddiecat:

Honestly, I would not recommend anatomicals for you, in light of your excess skin. This infers that the pockets could be too large for the anatomical's, and you would be at a higher risk of rotation. I just wouldn't risk it. You would be a candidate for the ultra full projection implants, such as Allergan Style 45 or Mentor ultra full projection. Using rounds does not necessarily portend that you are going to have a "shelf", which Is preferable to andeasier to address than a rotated anatomical.. And yes, fat grafting would be something that would address that "shelf" step offf defect, if applicable.. Time and gravity can address it also.

• whippetmom

mazy....

I think anatomicals should be fine for you, because you were small breasted previously and your skin envelope is probably pretty snug. Your SX style tissue expandercorresponds to the LX style of the Allergan 410. The volume would be 455 gms or 515 gms. Smooth silicone rounds would be nice also, Allergan Style 20, 600 ccs.

• whippetmom

toughone:

You are probably a candidate for implants with the volume ranging from 450 ccs to 500 ccs. I would recommend a moderate plus profile or high profile style implant. Personally, I think your skin envelope might end up being too large for an anatomical, because the anatomical needs to fit the dimensions of the pocket and this night translate to an implant larger than you might be desiring. This is just a bit of a guessing game at this point though. But stick around and keep me in the loop when your surgery date is aoproaching

• whippetmom

rleepac:

I would think for you- a tissue expander, either a short height or moderate-style, with the width of approximately 12 cm. As far as implants are concerned, smooth silicone rounds, either Mentor or Allergan, and this would include the new Allergan Inspira implant. I think that a high profile style implant in the 400 cc to 475 cc range would be good. Do you have somewhat of a wide rib cage? At 4 foot 11" and 103 pounds, 30.5 inches makes it sound as though you have a fairly athletic build. Correct me if I am wrong...

• rleepac
    rleepac Member Posts: 193

I do have a slightly more athletic build although I'm not athletic LoL. Probably comes from ballet dancing at a very young age?

• mazy123
    mazy123 Member Posts: 13

Thanks for your advice Whippetmom! Do you think I would be a candidate for the inspira too? Wondering the differences between the Allergan 20 and the inspira.

Mazy

• whippetmom

Mazy, the Inspira would be fine also. It has a higher fill level than the standard silicone rounds.

509337 Member Posts: 8

Whippetmom,

I have been reading this forum for a few weeks but I have not seen any scenerios close to mine. The following are my statistics:

64 years old

163 pounds

60.75 inches tall

35 inch Rib age circumference

Presurgery bra size 36 B on left side 36 A on right side due to a lumpectomy 21 years ago

Surgery on 6/10/15 - removed both breast - had an Allergan TE put in - 400cc - 133MX-12-T

From day 1, I told my PS that I did not want big. Just enough that clothes looked ok and I would not have a constant reminder of cancer.

I am currently filled to 280cc and I am ready to call it quits. Don't want to complain but I have about 10 reasons to want to quit.

I am thinking about one more fill and then have the exchange. Could you give me a rough estimate on what size you think a 300cc implant would make me. Also a recommendation on which implant. Doctor uses Allergan.

Thank you in advance for your input.

• VAT
    VAT Member Posts: 7

Whippetmom,

I had a PBMX in June and would love some recommendations for implants to discuss with my PS at my next appointment.

My measurements are: 5'9" 135lb. 30 inch rib cage

Prior to surgery I wore a 32/34 B depending on the bra. I would like to remain about the same size as prior to surgery.

My tissue expander is an Allergan Natrelle 133MV14T 500cc .

I am currently filled to 400cc. I am happy with the way I look now at 400cc, so I may stop. During surgery I had 367 grams removed from my right breast and 413 grams from the left. My left breast was larger and I have asked the PS try and keep me about the size of my smaller breast.

We have not discussed implants at all, but I do know that the large majority of his reconstruction patients are put in round.

Thank you so much for your help!

• whippetmom

509337: I would recommend either a Style 15, 400 ccs, or Style 20, 425 ccs. It's all about dimensions, not volume. I think you could use a bit wider implant, hence the suggestion of the Style 15. Your MX style TE, coulpled with your pre-BMX size, should easily get you there..even where ou are now.

You will certainly not be too big

509337 Member Posts: 8

Whippetmom,

Thank you for your quick reply. I just have 2 aspects of this procedure I do not understand. If I only go to 320cc in the expander is it possible to have a 425cc implant put in? Second, I do not understand why you think I need a bit wider implant. Currently with the expander I have I am feeling way to much bulk under my armpits. I do not want that mass under my armpits with the permanent implants.

Do you think I will reach a full A cup?

Thank you for helping me figure this out

• whippetmom

VAT:

You have quite a few options.

1. Allergan Style 15, 492 ccs, a smooth silicone round - but a bit lower in projection.

2. The anatomical option would be Allergan 410-MF, 470 gms.

3. The third option would be a high profile Allergan Style 20, 600 ccs vs the Allergan Inspira HP implant, SRF, 540 gms.

I would mention Sientra also, but they tend to have upper pole fullness and, based on what you are describing, I don't think you would appreciate the fullness.

Please don't assume that because you're happy where you are that that means you need to stop fills, because often fills need to continue, in order that the PS is assured of good skin closure over the implant.

For comparison, your TEs are 14 cm wide and 6.0 cm in projection at 500 ccs fill. So presuming are around 5.7 or 5.8 cm projection at 400 ccs fill (width always remains the same) even the highest volume implant - Style 20 600 ccs- is13.8 cm wide and 5.7 cm projection. So I am focusing on dimensions, not volume. This should be a lengthy appointment with so many options to discuss!

• whippetmom

509337:

I said a little extra width because typically, I would see a 13.0 cm to 14.0 cm wide TE on someone with a 35 in ribcage. My ribcage is 29.5 inches and my implants are 13.5 cm in width. Are the tissue expander's widely spaced? Just want to confirm...In any event, the 400 ccs style 15 is only 13 cm wide, essentially a minuscule difference. (You can always send me photos via private message.)

Dimensions of your TEs: 12.0 cm wide and 6.3 cm projection at 400 ccs fill.They might be 12.0 cm and 5.9 cm at this current fill level.

Style 20 425 ccs: 12.0 cm wide and 5.2 cm projection.

Another option would be The Allergan Inspira extra full projection 420 gms. 12.0 cm wide and 5.9 cm projection.

• VAT
    VAT Member Posts: 7

Whippetmom,

Thanks for the quick reply and info. I will discuss options at my appointment this Friday. It is a great help to have your suggestions in hand.

• mazy123
    mazy123 Member Posts: 13

Whippetmom,

Thanks for letting me know that the Inspiras might also be an option. I am looking forward to my pre op appt next week.

Mazy

• SJHovey1
    SJHovey1 Member Posts: 9

Hi there- I'm new to the board and appreciate you all sharing your questions and experiences.

I had a DMX on 6/2/2015 after being diagnosed with DCIS. I am currently in the fill stage and find myself wondering about all of the next steps. At the time of my DMX, my PS filled me to 200ccs however due to skin problems related to Type 2 Diabetes, we removed 90ccs to take some pressure off during the healing process. All is going much better now that my diet is under control. This past week, my PS added 80ccs. So currently I am at around 180ccs. I will be going into my PS weekly. He has advised that I will have 3-4 fills. I am interested in seeking feedback on size of implants.

I am 5 ft 4 in and currently weigh 225 lbs however I am slated to have a gastric sleeve performed in the near future. My GS dr says that I will be around 140lbs within about 6 months from surgery which is currently set for December. Prior to my DMX, I was a 42D. My current rib cage measurement is 39. I currently have the Natrelle 133 TE. I would like to be a Full B.

Any ideas or suggestions about size, number of Ccs. My PS has not given me any idea on brand or type of implants he prefers.

• whippetmom

Allergan TEs

SJHovey.....which tissue expander and what is the volume?

• SJHovey1
    SJHovey1 Member Posts: 9

According to my card, it says the following (of course none of this information is similar to the examples provided):

Natrelle Style 133 Tissue Expander

BAS #890333972

There is no other information on the 2 cards I was given. If I need to find out something, Ican ask my PS at my next appointment

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560

Welcome SJHovey1. Welcome to BCO and thank you for sharing your experience here with us.

• Qtdamaris
    Qtdamaris Member Posts: 2

Whippetmom,

Need your advice please...

Had a BMX April 2015 with Allergan Natrelle 500MLMX style TE. Currently filled to approximately 200ccs and would like to be a full C or small D. Prior to BMX I had Mentor 300ccs implants (about a full D cup).

I'm 5'0"; 108 pounds; 33" rib cage.

Thanks!!!

• Madison4568
    Madison4568 Member Posts: 44

Hello,

Fat grafting to soften radiated skin vs. a flap surgery... Has anyone had luck with this? I have gone for 2 opinions. # 1 Wants to do LAT flap, expander and only uses anatomical implants. #2 wants to do 6-9 months of fat grafting to restore radiated skin, expander, implant and NO flap if possible. I am 23 and have had no reconstruction, I have to wait because I had inflammatory BC and now taking a clinical trial drug for 9 more months. As soon as that is done I want to start reconstruction ASAP. Looking to hear from anyone who has done the fat grafting with no flap and if it is worth the extra time. This hasbeen very difficult for me to be without reconstruction as I am sure it is for others. I just want to be reconstructed and back to somewhat normal. Thanks for any help!

• whippetmom

SJ Hovey... Not the info I need. Call your nurse. By LAW, it must be recorded in your chart

• whippetmom

QTDamaris:

I would suggest smooth silicone rounds, Allergan Style 20, 500 ccs, or Allergan Inspira, SRX or SSX, 520 gms.

Please read the thread header re: prior breast augmentation and reconstruction after MX.

• cheddiecat
    cheddiecat Member Posts: 19

Whippetmom: You asked me to let you know my thoughts when I reached the 600cc fill point. I have to tell you that it was amazing to see the TEs actually inflate and have cleavage again! And seeing myself dressed (wearing a bra with a little shaping padding) actually made me smile for the first time ever at the cancer center. Felt and looked like my old self!! ;D Well, I considered the padding and couldn't resist, and had a final 100cc fill to 700. The TEs had rotated about an inch since last week (little bruise visible) and for the first time the fills were totally painless which was a blessing also. Had a really great day on this journey! Since this was my final fill, had discussion with PS about the exchange and I will be getting round Natrelle Inspira high profile implants.

Thanks again for your suggestions and expertise. Feeling very confident going forward.

• Mich71
    Mich71 Member Posts: 11

Exchange on 4/28/15 with 350cc mentor round ultra high profile on reconstructed side and 175cc smooth round moderate plus profile on native side. Does it take longer for the reconstructed side to drop and fluff? My symmetry was close to perfect before swelling went down and drop took place on native side so now symmetry is off. No lift done but maybe I should have. Any thoughts on what to expect?

• Qtdamaris
    Qtdamaris Member Posts: 2

thank you so much whippetmom!!!

• KSChadd
    KSChadd Member Posts: 13

Hi,

I am hoping to get some input on going up in a size a bit from my current 'gummy' implants. They are 550cc, I am 5'4", am now 41 and weigh around 145 lbs., when I was diagnosed I was 125 lbs. and my PS mentioned I might want to go up if I gained weight when I got older. My surgery was 6 years ago and I have not been in to see my PS for awhile, they said it was not necessary unless I have problems. I am wondering about the safety of keeping these in for a long time and since this weight does not seem to want to come off no matter what, I want to get a size that would be more proportional and like what I had before surgery/kids, etc.

Thoughts?

Katie

• Rainflame4
    Rainflame4 Member Posts: 1

Hi! I'm just hoping to get your thoughts on how many more fills may be right for me. I'm 5'6" 156lbs, rib cage is 33 3/8. I'm 35 years old and I've always been pear-shaped, never bigger than a full B. I'd like to be a full C to maybe create a more hourglass silhouette without padding. My breasts were cone-shaped and somewhat tuberous. What I fear most is is the pancake breast look. I have Allergan133MV-13 400cc expanders in place now. I have 300cc in with 1 or 2 fills of 60cc planned.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560

Hi KSChadd and Rainflame4,

We just wanted to pop in and say hi and welcome to our amazing Community! We're sure Whippetmom or others will be by shortly to help you with your questions.

--The Mods