Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    I think I just figured out that using plain text might be the trick......
  • Queen_Celeste
    Queen_Celeste Member Posts: 29

whippetmom:

Thank you for the information on dimensions of expanders and implants.  Why would the doc be planning to use an implant with a lower projection number than the expander?  What sort of difference might that make in the final result?  I don't want to be any larger than I am now with the expanders, but I don't want to be much smaller or saggy either.  I am planning to call him next week to ask, if you think that's a good idea.  Appreciate your help!

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Queen....I am popping in here as I am 2 weeks out from exchange surgery. I hope this is OK for me to add this. met with my PS for pre op this past Wednesday and we discussed how much I am expanded and the implant size. He is going to put in 650 Inspira extra high profile. He said he gets the best results by not over expanding. He is a really good doctor. Whippetmom, add your thoughts, please.

• katcar0001
    katcar0001 Member Posts: 321

Hi Whippetmom,

I am back--completed my fills and am researching implant sizes. I have a lot more detail for you now.

Height: 5'9" Weight: 130 Ribcage circumference: 28.5"

My surgeon put in a Mentor Siltex® Tall Height Contour Profile® Breast Tissue Expander 250cc 354-6311 10.1 x 10.7 x 5.6 expander on my left side and filled it to 295cc. It sits very high and round on my chest

My surgeon is going to put in Mentor CPG implants on both sides for symmetry (my right side is now much smaller than my left UMX side).

My questions are:

1) What size/style would give me the most projection without giving me the half-round coconut shell look?

2) What size/style would prevent rotation?

Consideration needs to be given for scar revision (my scar is wide) and the fact that my skin is very thin in places.

Thank you!

Kat

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610

hi. thanks whippetmom.

I don't get it. I have bottoming out on one side and he said he was going to change the implants and now is my time to decide if i want to go bigger or smaller. I thought bigger/heavier would disturb bottoming out even more. I def. don't want bigger. I am 5 foot 10 inches 150 pounds. broad shoulders, athletic-toned build, slender torso. Large implants would make my shoulder look even broader imo.

• whippetmom

Queen....I cannot answer for your PS. But if you want the same appearance as you have now with your TEs, you will want the MX style implant

• whippetmom

mysunshine:

My PS felt the same way about over-filling. This is why I have said so many times that there is not a hard and fast rule regarding whether to overfill or fill to the recommended fill level...or even to not fill to the recommended fill level. It should be individualized decision-making, and not a one-size-fits-all plan.
  • whippetmom

Kat: Perhaps the Mentor CPG medium height high profile style...260 ccs or 300 ccs. The tall height CPG has odd dimensions. But you do not want a high-riding tall height implant anyway, because it will not match the native breast. I think that in your case, overfilling is necessary.....because you are a unilateral and your PS wants to try to get a bit of natural ptosis/droop to gain symmetry with the opposing breast. The goal is symmetry and perhaps the 260 cc would be a better choice. A Mentor high profile smooth round implant, pr 275 ccs or 300 ccs, would be a good option also. You are in Mexico and so I am not sure whether you have the European version CPG, which might have different measurements or aspects than the U.S. version. The important question: What Mentor CPG does your PS say he intends to use? Find out before the exchange!

• whippetmom

No Stix, do not go larger. You know, my sister's PS opted to use Sientra textured rounds to prevent her from bottoming out again. So far, so good. I think textured rounds - Sientra or Allergan Inspira -might be a consideration. For instance, with the Inspira, TSF or TRF, you would only need 485 gms...and the dimensions would be 13.2 cm wide and 5.4 cm projection.

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610

No, I don't want larger either. I don't think it would be a good decision to go larger. I have a long slim torso and broad shoulders.I think large would look distasteful and imitation. Lastly, I don't want to add to the possibility of the inability to fix the bottoming out with larger implants.

Could textured help with bottoming out ?

Thanks whippetmom

• rebecca54
    rebecca54 Member Posts: 67

Whippetmom,

Thank you for your feed back (was on 9/10, sorry was out of town settling a son into college). You said I would have significantly more projection with the Mentor Memory shaped vs round. Both are high profile. Is that because even with the same ccs the "memory shaped" is a higher projection because they are a lower projection on the top and higher on the bottom? So I should maybe go with a lower cc if I do the "memory shaped" vs "round"? Do you have any opinion as to the 650cc in general? Does it seem to match my frame? I must say these TEs seem to be migrating away from the center of my body!

Also, I would love your opinion about this specific memory shaped vs round. I really want to try and look as natural as possible. I know a lot is personal opinion but also sounds like body frame etc can determine which looks more natural and the anatomical are not always the most natural look. My PS NP doesn't give me a straight answer to that question and maybe there is no definitive answer, but I am hoping that some people (hopefully you!) have had experience and can help me decide!

It's so scary to be able to decide a body part!

Appreciate any and all help in this matter. We are so lucky to have your help!

xoxoxo Thank you!

• whippetmom

Rebecca54: Personally, I would prefer the Mentor silicone rounds. I think you will be happy with the "feel" and softness of the rounds, over the shaped. You also do not have to be concerned about the risk of rotation. I was your age at the time of diagnosis, and I know my skin is pretty elastic....and if you went from a B to a D in cup size, your skin is probably pretty much like mine. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt, the way my skin has stretched in the past six/seven years since the exchange, something odd would have occurred with a shaped or anatomical implant.
  • rebecca54

Whippetmom I LOVE YOU! Thank you for your honest opinion!!!

• jcdied4hisown
    jcdied4hisown Member Posts: 2

Hi. I am scheduled for expander removal and permenant implant nov 6th. Need advice about what size and how many ccs to expand. Had  bilateral mastectomy July 20th. Initial breast size 36 B. Height 5' 8.5".  weight 140 to 144lb. Rib cage 34". TEs 300cc mentor artoura TEXP110 RH). PS said they were a newer model (better shaped to be more like the implant). The PS is looking at MemoryShape medium high and tall moderate plus catalog 334_1202 mh 390cc or 334_1209 tmplus 350cc. But each time I see him he talks about bigger and bigger sizes. How much should I allow him to expand and what implant and size would you recommend based on the data I have shared?

• whippetmom

jcdied4hisown: Indeed He did!

You definitey want 390 ccs, medium height high profile memoryshapes. Everything else will be too small or too flat in profile.

• jcdied4hisown
    jcdied4hisown Member Posts: 2

Thanks so much for your quick response and advice. So do you think the 390s are definitly big enough or should I consider larger? I was really looking to return to my natural size...but as the PS keeps asking me about and offerring bigger, I am confused as to what to do or why he would do that.Will the 390s do that for me? 

Blessings to you!

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915

Just popping in to say I am about your size and am getting Inspira smooth round 650, high profile. I told PS I did not want hamburger buns as I have read about on the Exchange thread. I, too, was 36 B prior to BMX. Whippetmom, let me know if my post is inappropriate. Just trying to help.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,308

jcdied - I definitely did not want to be bigger either. My stats are almost exactly the same as yours - just 10 lbs heavier. Many docs push for bigger, including my PS. I have Allergan 410 anatomical implants LX 455. I'm happy w/them, although I would be OK with smaller too. Don't let them talk you out of what you want. Whippetmom definitely knows her stuff.

• whippetmom

jcdiedforhisown: Well, do you like the size you are currently? You would be about the same or perhaps a little larger with the 390s. I think you could be in the 400 cc range...but it all depends on your skin elasticity. Perhaps this is why your PS feels you could go larger...because your skin envelope is ample enough for larger implants. The anatomically shaped implants must be snug enough in the pockets or they are at increased risk for rotation.

• whippetmom

mysunshine....perfectly fine by me! ThumbsUp

• Crescent5
    Crescent5 Member Posts: 64

whippetmom, you are an angel. Just popping in 3 years post exchange to say hello and to encourage the ladies going through it right now that there is plenty of life after cancer. You'll get there soon ladies!

• rebecca54

HappyThanks Crescent!

And Whippetmom you are an angel. I don't know about other women on here but I had a really hard time getting my PS and his PA to give me thier honest opinion. I guess the risk is that people come back after surgery and say "you said so" but an honest opinion is really refreshing. So thank you SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't think I can say that enough.

• whippetmom

Thank you for checking in to say hello Crescent! ThumbsUp

• whippetmom

Rebecca: You are most welcome!!

• Suzy1067
    Suzy1067 Member Posts: 15

Hi Whippetmom - I have been cleared for exchange :) and would value your thoughts.

I am 5'6' weigh 155   33 ribcage

Mentor 450cc tall height are the TE's

PS plans to use either Mentor memory MH or regular silicone Ultrahigh depending on size needed and if there is enough tissue to cover/minimize rippling.  He said we could go with Allergan if I requested.

I was previously a D cup size

Hopefully, I have answered all your questions to provide your thoughts - Please let me know if you need more.

Thank you,

Suzy

• pixiemuse
    pixiemuse Member Posts: 20

Hi all, I have felt informed and in control of my diagnosis until now!!! I did massive research when I was first diagnosed with my focus on being triple negative. This scared the pants off of me so much that little time was spent on the light at the end of the cancer/reconstruction tunnel.

I'm there now, and recently started realizing I need to be more informed on the end result. I guess you could say I am confused. I read the questions that were posted to get help and I'm working on getting answers to those.

Expanders were placed July 28th, with numerous fills that ended on Sept 9th. I feel I'm overfilled but that's just me.

I am 5' 2, 52 years young, weight fluxes for me prior to diagnosis I was 135. During chemo I went up and down with a top off at 150 lbs. (sweet cravings) I am rapidly loosing that excess and hope to be back to that 135 lbs by my pre-op appt. Oct 14th. (permanent implant surgery date is Oct 22.)

size prior to chemo was 36-38 B, Bras never fit me correctly even then.

Dr plans to do lipo on my sides under my arms to my hips and upper and lower abdomen for fat transfer to the breast area. So I will be smaller around the ribcage. Not sure how much smaller though.

I want a smooth transition from upper chest to the breast area without that ripple effect and I do not want that x rated movie look where they look glued on and straining to bust out.

Thank you in advance I'm working on getting the rest of the questions answered from my Dr.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560

pixiemuse, welcome to the community and thanks for posting! Please keep informing us on how you're doing, we're here for you!

Best wishes,

The Mods

• pixiemuse
    pixiemuse Member Posts: 20

Hi whippetmom: any advice, direction and or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

To continue what I stated above,

I have Mentor 450 Tall Height expanders in place (I feel like they are way to tall but thats me)

5' 2" tall, after the lipo for fat transfer I should have approx. 32" to 33" rib cage

Prior to chemo I was a high side B, after chemo mid to low B cup. (dense tissue and lots of cysts)

Dr uses Mentor implants but which one and type has not been discussed as yet.

I wanted to go up a bit to a C but now I'm not certain. Due to the amount of skin and tissue that was removed my Dr inflated the expanders to a D so I would have skin coverage. I hate the D!! Now I'm afraid of what a C is since I didn't get the chance to live with a C for more than a week.

My pre-op appt is Oct 14th with implant surgery to be Oct 22nd.

Thank you so Much for your help,

P

• kitkat3713
    kitkat3713 Member Posts: 2

I was diagnosed with Stage 2A triple negative breast cancer last November (2014). I had a mastectomy on my right side in December, went through chemo January-May (2015), had first stage of reconstruction in July, and the second stage just over one week ago. The PS was very friendly and helpful. During the first stage, I had a lift and small implant on the left side. The right side used skin from my back and then had to have an expander put in. On the second stage, the expander was removed, anatomical implant put in with some fat from my mid-section. The day after my surgery, when taking off the bra and bandages, I could immediately tell that the right side was not big enough and noticeably smaller than the left side. I was very disappointed and very emotional. I wanted it to be my last surgery. I called the PS's office to schedule an appt to have the stitches removed, but I wanted to meet with the PS before that to discuss the size. He called me the next morning and his friendliness quickly changed. I was completely shocked at what he said and the tone he used with me. He asked me if I measured it, he said he did everything I asked him to do, and he said that I needed to be better educated on how to choose the correct implant. I had already been crying that morning and after he hung up on me, I started bawling. I couldn't believe his demeanor. I said in every appt that I wanted to be symmetrical. I told him that I thought the anatomical implant would be best since I still had a natural breast on the left side and he agreed. I never told him what size to put in and I trusted his judgement. I went a couple days ago to have my stitches taken out and I brought a friend with me for support. As soon as she saw me, she said she could see the difference in size. Other people have too. I cannot go without a bra and I certainly wouldn't look right in a swimsuit either. At the appt, he measured both sides and he said they were almost equal. I told him that I realize that one side may be slightly larger/smaller than the other, but it was very noticeable. He wouldn't listen to me or my friend and he kept interrupting us. He wouldn't look at me with my clothes on to see the difference. He told me that I had to figure out what needed to be done and how much more fat, etc. would be needed. Again, I was shocked. I'm not the professional that has been doing this for over 25 years.

I went home and put a 1/2 cup of rice in a small Ziploc bag and put it in my bra. That made the right side comparable to the left side. I looked online and saw that a 1/2 cup was equal to 120 cc. When I was with the PS, I asked him what size implant he put in and he told me. He showed me the size of the next larger one too. Well, the next larger size is 110 cc's more. That right there tells me that he put in the incorrect size. He is being so stubborn and doesn't want to hear that it's wrong. I have an appt to see him again in a couple weeks. I'm almost to scared and angry to. I've made a couple of consultations with other PS's to get their opinion, one though cannot get me in until November.

As someone posted earlier, the disappointment from the reconstruction has been my breaking point. I've been strong for most of this, but I just can't take it anymore and when I think about it, I start to cry.

Has anyone had the anatomical implants? Should I have the current implant removed and have the next larger one put in? I really think that is all that is needed. I will say that I don't want him to take anymore fat from my mid-section because I'm still very sore and bloated.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

• LoriWNY
    LoriWNY Member Posts: 178

KitKat--Glad to meet you but sorry that we have to meet under these circumstances.

I would go to a different PS! Why put yourself through the anxiety of dealing with a doctor who doesn't understand that he needs to make you happy in order to do his job properly? There are plenty of women on this board who have, unfortunately, experienced dissatisfaction with their PS and have sought second/third/fourth/fifth opinions--and are thrilled that they did so, me included!

I saw a few second opinion plastic surgeons before I scheduled a revision surgery from round implants to anatomical implants in a different volume. I am so happy that I took the time to find a PS with whom I felt 100% comfortable. He even told me that he was "at my service" and that if I "was not happy with the outcome," he "didn't do my [his] job properly." He truly listened to my wishes; I had a great result with the revision and am very satisfied with my new PS.

It is almost the end of of September so November is not that far away. Take the time to get it right and you will be happier in the end.