Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

kgirard.

Skin flaps.Stick with smooth silicone rounds. Allergan or Mentor. Dr. Whidden

• whippetmom

Short responses,,,,keyboard issues

• MsVeryDenseBreasts
    MsVeryDenseBreasts Member Posts: 20

Whippetmom, your expert advice would be appreciated I'm almost 5'6", 105 lbs and 28 inches around the rib cage under the tissue expanders. The TEs are Allergan Natrelle 133MV-12-T 300cc fill. My pre-BMX bra size was a not very full 34C (due to gravity and aging). I had lost some upper pole fullness that I'd like to restore if possible. I'd like to end up as a 34C and natural looking. The surgeon had recommended Sientra high profile anatomicals and if memory serves me he was planning on a little larger size than the TE fill. I would like to have a little projection and avoid the hamburger bun phenomenon (which is what I presently have with the TEs filled to 200cc). Advice? Thanks so much.

• whippetmom

imageMsVeryDense:

I think that there is one anatomical in Sientra which would be my preferred choice for you. Either 370 ccs or 425 ccs. I think the latter, if it can be arranged.

• MsVeryDenseBreasts
    MsVeryDenseBreasts Member Posts: 20

Whippetmom, thanks for the quick reply. Is the thinking that the 425cc would give me a little more natural looking projection vs. the hamburger bun thing? Is there any other type implant you think I ought to consider given my physical specs? My BS & PS thought that the silicone rounds would like like baseballs on my chest and I'm inclined to agree that anatomicals may yield a better result. You seem to have a real handle on the aesthetics. Thanks for your help.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,308

Deborah - I was in one of the early research studies for the Allergan 410s in 2011. The FDA released some of the models awhile ago, but now they are all approved by the FDA. Thought you'd want to know if you haven't seen this release. I have 410-LX-455 and continue to be very pleased. Projection & cleavage are both great. They aren't any harder than my original very dense breasts. Thanks for all your help 4 years ago.

• Miscraw
    Miscraw Member Posts: 16

I had my exchange 6 weeks ago. I have 560 CC Natrelle Inspiras SRX. I know that this may just be the sad case of reconstruction, but I don't like my projection. They are full, but not projected. I was a 34D or DD before mastectomy. I'm now in the C/D range, but more in fullness. Like in a bra they look nice, but in a shirt look very very small. My PS is willing to discuss revision, but I only want to do it if will increase projection. Is there another implant option to increase projection?

I am currently about 130 lbs, 5'5". My ribcage measured 29.5".

Thanks in advance!

• whippetmom

Well, MsVeryDense, I do not agree that rounds will necessarily look like baseballs on your chest. I have known a number of gals with your build who have rounds and they look great. I would think 400 ccs/425 ccs in a Mentor or Allergan HP implant would be fine. But that Sientra shaped would be my pick if it is to bean anatomical.

• whippetmom

MinusTwo...Thank you for sharing this information. ThumbsUp

• whippetmom
    Miscraw: this happens to be one of the pitfalls of breast cancer...which is that projection is difficult to achieve. You have the extra full projection implant. I know many will vouch for how well we look in a bra...but how small we can look in clothing. Finding the right enhancement bra is essential. Freya, Chantelle, Panache...european bras work best. You can always send me photos, but I want to manage your expectations. You have the implant I would want to exchange to someday. It is a good choice for you. I would say give it two more months and go shopping and get professionally fitted with a high end bra.
  • Sella
    Sella Member Posts: 3

Whippetmom I can't thank you enough for your suggestions when I needed help as I began this journey and hope others find this forum BEFORE they begin their treatment. I was so afraid of having a "fake" look if I selected the rounds and my PS and I had selected the anatomical textured. However, I am one of the lucky ones to have a PS that listened to me. I wanted the same size/projection as my tissue expander and did not want to be smaller. I had a wonderful rapport with the staff of women (anesthesiolgist, RNs, etc) before I went in for surgery and also let them know what I was looking for. The first thing I asked when I came out of surgery was what size I was and my husband had the card before I saw the PS and it said Mentor Ultra High Smooth Round 590 cc! I was expanded to 480 cc, however, when he had me in the OR he had different sizes, textures, etc. You were so right! They don't look like baseballs, hamburger buns, lol, etc. They are beautifully shaped like my breasts before - I couldn't be happier. The anatomical didn't fill out the top and the rounds did but not at all as I expected - they slope beautifully. I was a full C cup before and my left breast looks great but my right has yet to "fall" - I don't know my size yet but appear to look like a perkier C. I intend to look for the bras suggested after things settle in a few months and will continue to look for guidance on these forums.

So what I'm getting at is for anyone looking for guidance, please ask your concerns here and bring Whippetmom's suggestions to your PS.

Thank you again for your tireless efforts with your knowledge and experience and all who have shared their experience and concerns....

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610

can someone respond who has used an ohio plastic surgeon for breast implants that had a good cosmetic outcome.

thank you

• whippetmom

Sella: So glad to hear that you are happy with your results! ThumbsUp

• katcar0001
    katcar0001 Member Posts: 321

Hi Whippetmom, Have you ever heard of Motiva implants? My surgeon does not like smooth rounds and prefers Mentor textured rounds; however, I am concerned about rippling. He then came up with the Motiva implant as a compromise. They are being used in Europe and other countries and have filed with the FDA.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894

Many here have donated . Thank you !........Wandering around and cheerleading again :)

Donate today, make a difference directly in all our lives. By supporting BCO, we support each other. Thanks and Hugs :)

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/110/topic/834331?page=1

Link to the mainboard donation page

https://secure3.convio.net/bco/site/Donation2?df_i...

• whippetmom

katcar: I had not heard of them, but they look interesting. If your PS has access to them, I would choosethem over textured Mentor implants

• whippetmom

Thank you for the reminder SAS! ThumbsUp

• Lharry
    Lharry Member Posts: 37

whippetmom, I'm going to call my PS tomorrow to ask about my TE's as I have no idea what I've got.

I am curious though, what in your background has given you the expansive knowledge on implants that you seem to have? I understand that any recommendations you make should be discussed with our PS, but how have you come to obtain such knowledge on all the varieties out there?

Thanks! Linda

• whippetmom

Lharry: Click on my name and scroll down to read my profile. That, plus seven years, seven days a week talking to women about breasts! Winking

• Lharry

Thanks whippetmom!

Again, I will call my PS to get info about my TE's, but I do have a question...my TE's are currently at 350 and 400cc's, and when I see myself in clothes, I look fairly flat chested - especially looking down at my chest. But, when I pull my shirt tight in the back, I look like I have nice size breasts. I don't understand why I can't see them with just a loose fitting shirt.

Anyone else experience this? Is this how it will be with implants too? As it stands, I do not like how I look in a loose fitting shirt at all! But, I'm 52 years old, and I work in a professional environment, and don't think it would be appropriate to always wear tight fitting shirts that "show off" my breasts.

Ugh! Some days I wish I had my old body back! These foreign things on my chest just don't look or feel like me

• Free123
    Free123 Member Posts: 22

Lharry, I am feeling exactly the same way! I just can't figure it out. With nothing on or in a tight tank top like I sleep in, I feel like I'm about where I was pre-"all this", (@ a nice B cup) but in clothes I look very flat! I feel like I'm going to tell my PS to go on the larger end of the spectrum of implant sizes that we were looking at!

• Lharry

Whippetmom, here is my info:

Height: 5'5"

Weight: 160 lbs

Rib cage: 37"

TE: Alloderm AlloX2

Volume: 360-430ml

Low pole plus full height profile SSP tissue expander

Ref#: AloX2FH13E

My pre mastectomy size was D/DD

I have told my PS that I would like to be the same size

I'm currently filled to 350 cc's on the left and 400 cc's on the right. Yesterday, my PS said I probably have another 6 weeks in my TE's. He's filling me 50 cc's at a time, once a week.

• Lharry

Free123 - thanks for confirming that I'm not crazy! ;) it is weird. I'm not sure how old you are, but I'm wondering if it has to do with me being older and my pre MX breasts hung low due to age and breastfeeding 3 kids, so all I really saw before was the fullness at the bottom of my breasts, and now I have more at the top, and can't really see the bottom of the "breast/tissue expander".

I'm guessing I will just have to rethink how I'm supposed to look, and that it will just be different than before.

• Free123
    Free123 Member Posts: 22

Lharry, I'm 49, premenopausal. I did nurse my 3 children also but had implants put in about 15 years prior to my BC and that's what I'm comparing these TE's to. Now that I think of it though, these TE's are more round (full) at the top than even my implants so maybe they are overall the same fullness but less in the bottom…Who knows?! It is weird though!

Best wishes to you!!

• katykids
    katykids Member Posts: 44

Hi. My name is Katy. Sorry for first post here. I am an avid reader but nervous about my exchange in a couple of weeks.

1. I am just under 5'9" (seem to be shrinking), currently 140lbs (but usually closer to 150), and ribcage circumference of 30".

2. Tissue expanders --Allergran 133SX-14 500cc. Style number -- 19325132

3. She didn't say--I just said I would like to look as natural as possible and not have them sticking up too high.

4. PS said I had very uneven breasts but I wore, VS sold me 36B.

5. GRAMS VS CUBIC CENTIMETERS: do I answer this?

6. OVERFILLING OF TISSUE EXPANDERS: my TEs were overfilled to left: 510 and right: 520

eta. and thank you! first post nervousness!

• georgie61
    georgie61 Member Posts: 48

Hi Whippetmom,

I've been lurking on this to try to figure my situation out, but I'm still a little confused about my situation. I had my BMX 8/28 and have received 4 fills so far and have an appointment Monday for a possible 5th and final fill before I begin my radiation simulation Monday afternoon. I am 54 yo. I am 5'6" 140 lbs with 32" ribcage size. I was a 34-36 C before and want to be at least that big after.

The nurse didn't tell me brand or model of TE's ( I didn't ask the right question!) but was told it had a capacity of 490 mls. The PS started me off with 300 cc's and after these 4 fills I am "overfilled" to 520. Another 60 ( max he does) would put me at 580. I am tight, and uncomfortable but could do another fill if recommended. It's hard to say how I feel....naked or in tight fitting clothes I look big enough...loose clothing I think I could be bigger ?? Maybe it's just the implants that will give the final result I need and this size is fine?? They are tight and hard, of course, so can't try a bra on for size. Any guidance you can give with my limited information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Georgie

• whippetmom

Lharry: Yes, that is the experience most of us have found with loose fitting shirts. I wear very few loose fitting shirts.....Winking

• whippetmom

Lharry: Alloderm is a dermal matrix support. Your TEs are entirely different. They will be Mentor or Allergan or perhaps Sientra, etc.

• whippetmom
    georgie61: I do not think I would fill much more, if any, if you are tight and if you are going to have radiation. It would be better to wait until the prescribed time AFTER rads and then go in for another fill. That is just my personal opinion. I think you need to be in the 550 cc to 650 cc range with implants. I cannot recommend a style, because I do not know about your tissue expanders. I would stick with silicone rounds if you are having rads. They are softer than anatomicals and your one rads mound will be tight anyway. It is easier to get a match for the opposing breast with rounds in this situation.
  • Lharry

Whippetmom,

These (alloX2) are the expanders. You can see them at allox2.com or at SSP-inc.com. I do know my expanders have 2 ports. One for my fills, and one to draw out seroma fluid.

Linda