Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Gemini Girl: I sent you a private message

• Leslienva
    Leslienva Member Posts: 343

I’m so sorry to hear about Kip. It’s never easy to lose a beloved pet.

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

Deborah, my sincerest condolences to you and your family. Thank you for sharing a picture I love that Kip was allowed to go peacefully at home, you're vet sounds like a gem.

Hugs, Michelle

• HopefulAC
    HopefulAC Member Posts: 46

I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your precious Kip. He is at peace and you will see him again. Bless you and your family

• egl1381
    egl1381 Member Posts: 3

I just saw your post about Kip. Im so sorry for your loss- pets are truly members of our family.

• Zoisite
    Zoisite Member Posts: 20

I’m so sorry to hear about the lose of your dog they are such an important a part of our lives. It’s so hard to make that kind of a choice glad you could be with him.

• rachelcarter35
    rachelcarter35 Member Posts: 256

Hello whippetmom,

I had a fawn whippet in my 20's. They are so lovely. It's so unfair that a dog's life is so short compared to ours. My boy was a little darker red but had those beautiful eyes. It looks like they have eyeliner on - so dignified. Sorry you have to go through this.

I'm actually 5 weeks out from my mastectomy. My expanders are Allergan 133MV-16-T 700cc. They are on top of the muscle. I was a size G in bra size so had enough available skin, They are each filled to 450cc at this point. They feel way too wide and press into my armpits. The one on the right has shifted under my armpit. My PS says he can fix it at my exchange. I feel like I have enough volume but its all in the wrong place along the bottom and wide. I want more projection but I think about my current volume. I'm hoping for around a C. I weighed 130 before surgery. I weigh 125 now but that's with almost 2 pounds of saline solution so I don't know what I officially weigh at this point. I don't know if I have to have one more fill to create the projection I want. I like the shape of the teardrops more and was thinking of a medium projection. I want your opinion though. I don't know what brand my PS uses. I left a message and haven't gotten a call back.

EDIT: I'm 5'1" tall. I forgot to put this in before. I think that's everything. I am now filled to 550 (final fill). Doctor uses both Mentor and Allergan implants.

Thank you for doing this!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Rachel: Go ahead and put in the rest of your measurements as specified in # 1 of the header so Whippetmom will be better able to work her magic.

• rachelcarter35

Thank you minus two I forgot my height. I've edited my message to include it.

• egl1381
    egl1381 Member Posts: 3

Hi,

I am hoping you can provide extra guidance for implant size as my surgery is just under a week away and choosing what the implant size has been a confusing process. The plan is to have a nipple sparing prophylactic mastectomy with DTI reconstruction. My plastic surgeon recommended teardrop shaped texture gummy bear implant. (I think Allergen Natrelle?)

I'm 5'7", 140lbs (athletic), with an under bust measurement of 31-32". After kids and breastfeeding, I've lost a lot of natural volume/size so I am probably a small B now. Its hard for me to remember what my "natural" size is or size I used to be pre-kids! I'd like to go a little larger to bring me back to my pre kids size - maybe a small C? I think surgeon plans on bringing implants ranging from 300-500. Does that seem appropriate? What should my goal be? (depending on skin health of course)

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

WhippetMom,

I think that I read in a post that you sleep in the Kohl's camisole tops. Yes? If so, can you post a pic as to which one(s)?

I still take a diuretic and swell. I have lines on my breasts when I awake from wearing either a bra or a vest. I am thinking a camisole top would be better. My PS does not care what I wear as long as I am in something giving some support.

Thank You.

Coach Vicky

• rkham
    rkham Member Posts: 3

So sad to hear about your loss of Kip. It took me a long time to get over the loss of my wonderful little rescued Cocker Spaniel when she passed on.

I will be going in for my exchange in 2 weeks and I was wondering, does anyone know what the difference is between the Natrelle Inspira Soft Touch and the Natrelle Inspira Smooth Cohesive? My PS did not have any implants the I could touch and feel.

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

Vicky-

I can help out with this one...Whippetmom guided me in this direction before:)

Women's https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2433356/womens-s...

Junior's https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1762846/so-satin...

Since I had my revision surgery I bought these and I also love them to sleep/lounge in. Very light and breathable but holds the girls close while you sleep without being as confining as a sports bra.

Bali Bralette-https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1035772/bali-bra...

Hope all is well!

Michelle

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

Michelle

Thank you. Just what I was looking for.

Vicky

• Ceci-246
    Ceci-246 Member Posts: 17

rkham - I think the cohesive implants are more firm. I have the Natrelle Inspira Cohesive Moderate Profile, and they feel a bit heavy to me. Granted I am comparing them to the air expanders and my former natural smaller breasts. Being firmer, they are supposed to wrinkle less. That’s good but I’m not sure it’s worth the extra bulk. To me anyway. I am 3 1/2 months post exchange and will discuss possibly switching them when I go back for more fat grafting. Sorry that doesn’t exactly answer your question, but I’m not completely loving these.

Ceci

• CLmommy
    CLmommy Member Posts: 5

Hello!

I've just found this post and am so thankful. I'm 7 weeks post BMX and starting to try and figure out how many more fills I need. My PS said 2-3 but I don't know. Would love some advise!

I am 5'3 1/2 (usually say 5'4" but want to be truthful here, lol!) I'm down to 105 but was 112 pre surgery - will probably get back there as life regains "normalcy". My ribcage measures 29. I was a 32 D pre surgery and want to go back to a full C if possible. I have Natrelle TEs style 133MV with 400 volume. My PS plans to use Natrelle Inspira implants at the exchange. Im currently at 300 and am starting to see the volume, but not projection. Also hard to tell since they're gravitating towards my armpits (which my PS assured me he will fix at the exchange). I'm feeling like I don't want high profile implants because I want them to look really natural - just like real breasts would in a regular underwire bra. The PS said high or mid profile. Suggestions on size and profile? He's suggesting we go to 400-450 (he overfills by 50).

Thanks in advance!

• CGG
    CGG Member Posts: 1

Dear Deborah,

I am very sorry for your loss, that is so hard. From reading your post it is obvious that you were a loving dog mom to him, he was lucky to have you.

Carolyn

• whippetmom

Rachel:

The tissue expanders, at 16.0 cm, seem wide for your frame. What is your ribcage circumference? I think that you are going to need implants with a width of around 14.0 to 14.5 cm, I would recommend Inspira smooth rounds (anatomicals do NOT give the breast any more of a "shaped" appearance than rounds, unless you are augmenting the breast.). I think Inspira SRX or the cohesive equivalent would be good - 700 ccs. I think that some pocket revisions are in order to narrow the pockets a bit. That is, unless you have a wide medial gap (in the cleavage area), which would then suggest implant displacement. It does depend on your ribcage.
  • whippetmom

eg11381:

Sorry I was not here in time to help you. Chaos has reigned in my life for the past month.

What did you end up with? I would say closer to the 500 cc range.

• whippetmom

Thank you those who stepped in and answered some questions for me! ThumbsUp

• whippetmom

CLmommy:

It is a challenge to achieve good projection with breast reconstruction. So watch what you ask for with your PS! At least a full/high profile....and maybe an extra full profile in the Allergan Inspira line. Your goal is pretty accurate....somewhere in the mid 400 cc range I suspect.

• whippetmom

Thank you everyone for your kind words about the loss of our pup. It means a lot to me. W

• rachelcarter35

Hello whippetmom,

My rib cage measurement is 34". They are definitely way too wide. Yes they are also displaced the right one is outwards by over 1" and the left is out 1/2". I know this because when he does the fills the bandaids are not aligned with my nipples.There is too much space in the middle also (almost 2 inches) . He plans to revise the pocket. I'm filled to 550 right now and feel plenty big but just all in the wrong places. I want to be much smaller than I was before closer to a C. 700 sounds like too much. Can you explain why I should use 700? I had my first chemo treatment today and will be done in 12 weeks if all goes well. So I have time to figure this out. That's interesting about round verses contour. My ps recommended contour but my confidence in his choices has been undermined by his expander choice. I get the feeling these were the ones he had in his drawer. My large breast size might have thrown him off. My breasts have rested against my arms my whole adult life. Whats 12 more weeks

Thank you

Rachel

• minustwo

Rachael - there is an inactive thread about going smaller but it seems we are in the minority. I was glad to get rid of the big boobs I'd had all of my life. I'd be happy to be smaller yet. I've read lots of posts where women didn't feel comfortable standing up to their male PS. Push for what you want.

• rachelcarter35

Thank you Minus Two, Please excuse this chemo brain but I'm confused. WhippetMom says that I should have 700cc implants? Am I reading this right? I already feel too fleshy at 550 and want to go back to 450 or so. I assume that after the pocket is revised things will be redistributed and 700cc s may seem logical but it doesn't feel that way. Also I edited my initial entry to include my rib circumference and it didn't seem to get to her. Its 34" by the way. I'm thinking about getting a second opinion from another ps.

• minustwo

Rachael - A second opinion is ALWAYS good. I talked to two PS docs before my mastectomy, but there's so much going on I surely didn't understand everything. I went to talk to a third PS after I'd had my TEs for awhile since I REALLY wanted to stay smaller than what my chosen PS was recommending.

Don't get me wrong - my PS is head of the department and a master at his craft, but he is also a true surgeon (who knows what's best for everyone & doesn't like to spend time talking). He didn't really start treating me like a person until my 45 year old son was in town one day & went with me to an appointment. My son asked all the same questions and got prompt answers. We agreed on a smaller size and since then the PS treats me like gold.

• whippetmom

Rachel:

Just to clarify: My recommendation for a 700 cc implant is based on two factors: 1. The width and volume of the tissue expanders and 2, your comment that you did not have enough projection. You have the "footprint" of a 700 cc TE, no matter if you have 400 ccs fill or 550 ccs fill. Even if underfilled, the width of your TE remains the same, and it is the projection and height that have not reached their full potential. Your PS might have used this size TE because of your skin envelope. If he did not reduce the volume of skin at the time of mastectomy, he felt he needed to fill up the envelope with a large TE.

Frankly, I think it is crazy to think about using an anatomically shaped implant for a patient who had such large breasts. You are almost assured that the implants will rotate at some point. The skin envelope is just too large and too elastic! Graham Stevens, MD, who was one of the first plastic surgeons to use the anatomically shaped Allergan 410 and Mentor CPG implants in clinical trials, would not use that style in a woman who had previously had augmentation with round implants, or who had very large breasts. It makes perfect sense to me.

You could go with an Inspira smooth round moderate style implant, 560 ccs, and be at around 14.5 cm, but you would lose the projection it sounds like you are lacking. Additionally, the implant, if too small for a large skin envelope, will just be like putting a rock in a sock, if you get my drift. Your PS used this wide and large tissue expander and that pocket is going to have to be aggressively narrowed. Why would he use a too wide TE, if only to later agree he would need to narrow the pockets? I agree about getting a second opinion. You would not be the first to need to do this, in order to get the results you are seeking. Pocket revision is enough of a challenge and I would want the right plastic surgeon to do it.

• star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370

how annoying, minustwo! Makes me realize how lucky I was with my very thoughtful bs and ps

• rachelcarter35

I have requested an authorization from my insurance for a second opinion from a plastic surgeon in San Francisco. I think my plastic surgeon is quite experienced and capable but gives the impression he is close to retirement and doesn't seem to really care anymore. He seems distracted and put out by my questions. I have the time to really be more informed about my implant exchange because of this next 12 weeks of chemo, I wish I had known more going into the mastectomies and TE placement. I've ended up with the wrong width and size and now have to figure out how to get closer to what I want. Its so frustrating. I was a size G before BC and the lemonade for me through this whole thing was that I could finally have reasonably sized breasts that fit my 5' frame - instead PS puts in 700 cc wide- because he didn't take the time to talk to me.

• lanne2389
    lanne2389 Member Posts: 220

rachelcarter35 - oh sweetie I can empathize with you! I was a size J which were huge even on my 5'11" frame. I was adamant that I wanted a C cup. My PS used 650 sized TEs filled to 500 which on me was barely a B cup. 150cc fills later I'm a small D and think it was 50cc to much. But compared to my old boobs, this size is heaven. Find a PS who wants to do right by you! Lanne