Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• rebecca54
    rebecca54 Member Posts: 67

Dearest Whippetmom,

You were helpful to me as I went through my transfer to the squishy side. I am about 2 1/2 years out and not happy. I am 5'9" and 160lbs. I was very large pre DMX 36 D and a silver lining to all the bad was smaller boobs! Although my current implants are smaller I feel like the diameter is huge and disproportionate to my body.

I met with my PS on Monday and we discussed a few options. Right now I have the Mentor high profile 650 cc, which is 14.4 x 5.7. If we went down by 100 ccs and stayed with Mentor HP would be 550 cc 13.6 x 5.5.

He believes, and I concur, that I would be happier with one of the UHP or higher fill implants that are a bit smaller. We were talking about Mentor UHP 590cc 12.5 x 6.3, or Mentor 535 12.0 x 6.1.

Then my brain imploded and I can't remember the information about the higher fill implants. I am going to Hopkins and they basically use either Mentor or Allergen.

Can you please help me?

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    Rebecca: He is going to need to perform capsulorrhaphies bilaterally to narrow the pockets, otherwise the implants will eventually migrate towards your armpits and be like a rock in a sock, as I like to describe it. So I would not go any smaller than 13,0 cm. I am perplexed, though why these 650 cc implants seem to wide. I have HP 550 ccs, 13.5 cm wide, and my ribcage is 29 inches. They are not too wide. The greater the ribcage circumference, the more width you need with implants. Could you private message me and attach a photo?
  • star2017
    star2017 Member Posts: 370

whippetmom, Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm not sure of the style of width of my TE. How do I determine that? I'm nervous about going too big at 505ccs. The PS was thinking about 460 I think. I'm not sure what you mean by high profile and projection.

• whippetmom

Star: read #2 in the thread header above.

• rebecca54
    rebecca54 Member Posts: 67

Got an appt! You’re the best. Wondering how many of us you have helped over the years. Has to be 10 s of thousands. I am so grateful for you volunteering your expertise. X

• whippetmom

Rebecca: Please give me an update after your appointment! ThumbsUp

• LisaK12
    LisaK12 Member Posts: 18

Hi whippetmom --

Just a quick update. Thank you so much for your advice. I had my bilateral mastectomy and immediate direct-to-implant reconstruction on Tuesday and got out of the hospital yesterday (Thursday). They ended up removing about 530 ccs of breast tissue from each and put in 550 cc implants, Mentor smooth rounds, I believe they are moderate plus profile, using alloderm. My surgeon used vertical incisions so that she could narrow and lift each of the breasts. The width will be narrower than before but the projection will be slightly more than before, but probably not noticeably so. I am very happy that the blood flow to my skin was good so they could go direct to implants without tissue expanders. Overall I am pleased so far but I know I have a long healing process ahead. Again, thank you for your expertise!

• RoJo
    RoJo Member Posts: 7

Hi Whippetmom,

I don't post much, but reading all the information on BC.org has saved my sanity over the last year and half. I've finally come to the exchange surgery. YAY! the PS is pretty happy with the radiated tissue after 2 rounds of fat grafting. I think I have made a choice about the implant size, but since you are a boob whisperer, I thought I'd get your opinion too. Thank you so much for doing this for everyone!

I am 5'8". Normal weight 165#, I have an extra 20# on now after chemo and fast track to menopause. It is slowly coming off now.

Prior to BMX, my bra size was a fairly consistent 36C. I went through many professional bra fittings in the past, and B was always spilling over, and some C cups were perfect, some a little baggy.

I have Allergan TE in place now. Sorry, I don't have all my stats, but I have 500cc in each, I believe the manufacture recommended volume is 400cc for these. They sit really wide and high, and about 1/4 into my armpits! The PS promises he'll get them out of there. he wasn't the one to place them.

I have chosen round smooth implants, they are so soft and squishy! I believe my PS uses Allergan implants, round, smooth. I was hoping to get back to a C, and this time a full C. I'm pretty big framed, large hands, size 10 feet, so petite is not my thing.

So...what would you recommend?

Thanks a million, RoJo

• whippetmom

LisaK

Congratulations! 🎈It is a good implant and you are done! Well....3D tats would be nice

• whippetmom

RoJo

I love your PS for the fat grafting! I would trust him with the sizing also. Since I know you plan to lose that weight 😉, I would probably recommend smooth round HP implants in the 550 cc to 650 cc range. Higher end preferable.But this is based on the limited info... since you are not certain of the TE style and volume. Also, your ribcage circumference is important.

• RoJo
    RoJo Member Posts: 7

Thanks Whippetmom. I've been hesitant to go to the larger sizes, but after playing with the implants in the clinic, stuffing them in my sports bra, I think I may be happier with bigger. These 500cc tissue expanders feel SO big right now, but the implants are totally different once I tucked them inside some clothes. I just noticed you are coming up on 10 years out from your diagnosis this October! So awesome. Congrats. Thanks again, Ro

• whippetmom

Ro: if your tissue expanders are feeling big at 500 ccs, perhaps 550 ccs will be just fine for implants.

• Zoisite
    Zoisite Member Posts: 20

Hi Whippetmom I have Allergan 133 MX-12-T Fill is 400cc. My chest measurement below TE is 32.5 I am 145 lb and 5-7” tall. I have always been small chested I like to work out and don’t want to be to big. I would like to be close to a B cup. My PS likes to use Natrella Inspira round gel SCF style. What would you recommend? Thanks Jacq

• Zoisite

Hi Whippetmom I have Allergan 133 MX-12-T 12 width 11 high and 6.3 projection Fill is 400cc. My chest measurement below TE is 32.5 I am 145 lb and 5-7" tall. I have always been small chested I like to work out and don't want to be to big. I would like to be close to a B cup. My PS likes to use Natrella Inspira round gel SCF style. What would you recommend? Thanks Jacqui

• whippetmom

Zoisite: I do not have access to the Inspira cohesive catalogue right now, but if they are similar in sizing to the soft touch Inspira SRF, the sizing would be 415 ccs (too small I think) up to 485 ccs.

• star2017

Whippetmom, my tissue expander felt perfect at 350ccs. I got the round gummy bear implant Sientra 440 upon my PS's recommendation (I believe you suggested the 505), and while the tissue expander looked like it was about the size of the left breast (that I still had at the time), this implant I got last week just doesn't look right. It's too small or too high or too flat or too something. Maybe it's the lack of a nipple. it's funny because the whole time I was telling my PS to make sure he didn't go too big.

I guess part of the problem is my postpartum body. I was diagnosed while pregnant and am only 5 months postpartium and just not happy with my body shape. I suppose that's one reason things don't look quite right, the proportions are off. I have a follow up with the PS tomorrow and will definitely ask him, but would love some advice for those who may have experienced something similar.

• coachvicky
    coachvicky Member Posts: 984

star2017

I know you didn't ask me ... but ... I never "got" my size until I got nipples and tattooing. I loved my implants but I could not get my head around exactly how they looked on my body.

There is a forum on "nipples" and several women have posted how to get fake nipples. That might help you see your proportions.

Best wishes,

Coach Vicky

• star2017

thanks, coach Vicky! I’ll try it

• lanne2389
    lanne2389 Member Posts: 220

hi star2017,

Hoping you find peace soon! You can order temporary nipple tattoos for $15.99http://www.temporaryareolatattoo.com

I haven't tried it but probably will when my surgeries are done.

Lanne

• Zoisite

Whippetmom thank you I meet with my PS in a few weeks 1 more fill so I am not sure what size he will recommend. It’s hard to imagine how they will look as the TE are a strange shape and far apart. Looking forward to something more comfortable that is for sure. I will probably bug you again when I know more. Thanks again

• Jadalulu
    Jadalulu Member Posts: 32

Whippetmom just wanted to let you know that I had my exchange surgery on 4/18/18 and my PS went with Natrelle Inspira Cohesive SCF 650cc and a little fat grafting. Of course I’m still swollen but for now I’m pretty pleased with the shape, not to big not to little. They do look like large donuts but I think they will settle in place with time :

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

Whippetmom,

I had my revision surgery Wednesday, I parted ways with my original PS because we weren’t on the same page and I felt I needed a higher level of expertise. I had 28 rounds of radiation and wanted him to do FG to help soften the tissue. He told me that it wasn’t possible which I knew differently thanks to this website. After researching I found a fabulous PS and his work is absolutely amazing. Granted I’m 2 days post op but I can already feel and see the difference. I gave my surgeon my wish list just before going into surgery and he checked all of my boxes. He swapped out my implants, released my scar tissue and did a ridiculous amount of fat grafting. I will def have a second round of FG and then nip recon. I shared my PS’s info on a few other pages but wanted to throw it out here too. Dr. John Kim is a top notch surgeon in Chicago, his work is beautiful and will make his patient feel whole. Please feel free to share this I know you help many women rebuild their lives. http://www.drkimsurgery.com/?utm_source=yext&utm_medium=gmb%20physician&utm_campaign=online%20listings

Keep doing what you do.

Michelle

• SLL101984
    SLL101984 Member Posts: 162

Hi ladies,

Did any of you jump right to dmx with reconstruction from diagnosis? I keep leaning that way because I feel like that is the only way I will truly have peace of mind. Glad to see everyone on here recovering and doing well! Hope to be in the other side of surgery in the coming month

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261

I did that and I had only 6mm of pure DCIS. It's never been a source of regret.

• Dmoore39
    Dmoore39 Member Posts: 5

Hello Whippetmom,

I am 40 years old, 5'3", 125 lbs. breast width 12 cm, under ribs 29.5

I had my exchange 3 days ago with Mentor smooth round high profile 400cc. I know it's only a few days out so maybe I should calm down but I'm wondering if these are too wide for me. I think if things stay as they are now, i anticipate having having trouble finding a bra to fit. It seems that in order to get he cup wide enough, I would have to go get a larger band size and then the shoulder straps would probably be too wide set and I have narrow shoulders. I also think I look quite small, especially in clothes. The prophylactic side looks better than the cancer side but perhaps that's because there's a nipple. I'm wondering if extras high profile like natrelle 45 460cc would work? I didn't have radiation so I'm a assuming an extra 60 would be possible. I can send you a pic if it helps. i have my follow up Monday so I'll see what my PS thinks. Thanks

• kbh2241
    kbh2241 Member Posts: 4

Good evening!

Wanted to provide an update and ask for advice. The update is that I had my exchange surgery on 12/20/17 - new boobs for Christmas!!! My PS placed Allegan Natrelle Inspira 800cc implants. They seemed large at the time but I was encouraged to wait a bit to evaluate. Over 4 months in and I've decided they are too big - too wide and they sit outside the frame of my body making me look a bit square. Anyone have experience with downsizing? Risks? Potential issues? I'd like to fix this before I move forward with nipple reconstruction/tattoos.

Thanks, as always, for your insights.

• Imkopy2

Kbh- I just had revision surgery this past Wednesday and all I can say is what a difference. From the moment I had my original exchange I didn't 'love' my results...I gave it time and stepped away from the mirror and really tried to embrace my results. My original PS somewhat dismissed me in the correction I pointed out so I went looking for a different surgeon. At one point I thought I was going to have to settle...but thankfully I found a new surgeon who gave me exactly what I wanted and then some. When I look at my results even 3 days out I can see I'm proportioned correctly and I have female curves and don't have a wide 'masculine' chest.

To give you a timeline...original exchange was March 2017, met with new surgeon December 2017, scheduled surgery for April. Good luck in your decision but remember the choice is yours and you do not have to settle for mediocre results.

Michelle

• coachvicky

kbh2241

Unfortunately, I am from the world that boobs can never be too big. I would get mine bigger but as my PS reminds me, larger will not fit on my chest.

Anyway, have you been fitted by a professional for a bra? I say this because I thought mine were a little to the side also. We have a Nordstrom's in Nashville (about 85 miles north). I emailed the manager ahead of time that I was a BC Woman with implants. The manager set me up with one their staff members trained with implant fitting. Despite a fitting locally, I was in the wrong size. I am very please how I look now.

Coach Vicky

• Imkopy2

Vicky- I had to tell you I followed your advice about the tube tops. My surgeon wants me to continue in my ace bandage until I see him later this week...your tube top idea also works great to camouflage the bandage. I haven't worn one of these in years. Hope all is well

Mich

• coachvicky

Imkopy2

Glad the tube tops worked. I guess I will donate all those stupid sports bars that were suggested to wear! What I really liked about the tubes is that I could place a Carefree pad with the sticky side to the tube top to cover the incisions. I became allergic to tape and broke out. If you try this, everyone please get approval from your MD (Surgeon, Plastic Surgeon ...). My PS read the composition of the pads to ensure there was nothing harmful. I replied, "Really? Don't your think if it is good enough for a private part, it would work on my breasts?" Still, get approval first.

Have a great weekend ALL!

Coach Vicky