Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• Scarlett40
    Scarlett40 Member Posts: 1

hello, I just read your comment. I am getting ready to have 195 cc implants. I want TINY breasts. I had a mastectomy 11 years ago and bigger implants before....one ruptured. can I ask if yours are still too big? I am worried, because I do not want much...very small.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Scarlett - who are you asking? If you're looking for advice from Whippetmom, please read the header of this thread and post answers to all the questions listed so she can review your situation.

Ofelia - So sorry for all your troubles. It looks like you're half way between LA and Phoenix - with good doctors in both locations. Maybe Las Vegas is another option. Below is the link for NCI cancer centers so you can see what's available. I'd definitely look for a PS who does LOTS of reconstruction.

https://www.cancer.gov/research/infrastructure/can...

• traceyb409
    traceyb409 Member Posts: 4

Hi Whippetmom,

I'm hoping you can help me on whether or not I should be done with expander fills. Here are all my stats:

Height: 5'3 Weight: 135 Ribcage: 31.5
    Tissue Expander: Sientra Opus Mid Height, Suggested Fill Volume 310-370, Width 12, Height 9.8, Projection 5.2-6.0.

My previous size was a 36B and I would like to be a small C. I currently have 330 cc in my expanders if that makes any difference. During my fills my PS has been doing 60 cc and at my last one I had him do only 30. I thought I was going to be done after that one, but now I'm having second thoughts and I'm worried that I'm not going to be a C (and it's so hard to tell what you are going to be with expanders). I'm now wondering if I should get the other 30 cc which would put me at 360 cc. Thoughts?

I believe my PS will use Sientra mid height for the implants as well.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Ofelia: I recommend that you drive to Scottsdale and see Dr. Steven Turkeltaub. He specializes in breast revisions and he does beautiful work.

https://www.turkeltaub.com/breast-implants/breast-revision-surgery-results-in-a-woman-who-had-a-prophylactic-mastectomy/

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Deborah

• whippetmom

Scarlett: 195 ccs are very small implants. In fact, I believe they are the smallest available.

Deborah

• whippetmom

STACEY:

Please read below the chart

imageTracey: With regards to fill volume, it really does not matter, as long as you are happy with the current size. I think you need implants with at least 425 ccs to 450 ccs. Let me check out the Sientra implants. They are rarely used anymore. I will edit this post when I check it out for you.

Deborah

Okay...you need AT LEAST a moderate plus profile. I think you would be happier with a high profile in Sientra. It should be a smooth round implant. Not teardrop, not textured In high profile, I have attached the sizing. You probably could use 440 ccs in the high profile style. Compare the dimensions of the tissue expander with the implant.

• whippetmom

Minus Two: There are no links to plastic surgeons on the cancer.gov website. Did you mean to post another website

• minustwo

Ah ha. No actually I was thinking that people could call up the NCI hospital closest to them and look at their list of plastic surgeons. It's not a personal recommendation, but maybe a start.

I found my new OB/Gyn by researching the docs who practiced at my preferred hospital and then reviewing their education, age, areas of interest, clinical publications, reviews, etc.

• whippetmom

MT: Yeah....I spent about twenty minutes navigating around those cancer center sites and none of them had any referrals to or lists of plastic surgeons.

I think, honestly, that the easiest way to ferret out possible plastic surgeons is on www.realself.com. It is a website where plastic surgeons help people who have questions about various cosmetic and reconstruction procedures. Some of the finest plastic surgeons in the US donate their time to answering questions. I have compiled my own list of plastic surgeons in the US, which is now six years old, from cases I have observed on this bc site and from my own research. But for the lay person, Realself is a pretty good site to just skulk around and find names. Then, I can always do additional research, if requested.

• minustwo

We are so lucky to have you as a resource. THANK YOU for everything you do.

• traceyb409
    traceyb409 Member Posts: 4

Thanks Deborah! I found out at my appointment today that my PS will use Allergan Natrelle Softtouch Ultra High Profile. He will bring a range from around 430cc to about 550 cc.

• whippetmom

Tracey

Sizing sounds good to me!👍

Debora

• scs208
    scs208 Member Posts: 5

Hi Whippetmom (and anyone else who may have experience with this question),

Boy, I wish I had jumped into this thread a month ago! You have great information. My surgery is next week so i am locked into my fill size and implants but I'm hoping you can reassure that everything will be ok. I'm feeling a little anxious (for some reason I am more anxious about this surgery than I was the mastectomy).

• I am 47 yo, 5'5", 135 lbs, rib cage is 30.5"
    • pre mastectomy breast size was a droopy 36B - I had single mastectomy so have remaining breast that will be lifted and small implant placed for symmetry
    • current and final fill volume is 300cc - I have been really worried about being too big or augmented looking but now am worried I went too conservative. I wish I hadn't passed on a final fill at my last appt.
    • TE - CPX®4 Smooth, Medium Height, Breast Tissue Expander with Suture Tabs, Style 9200 (volume size 450cc) - w 12.3, H 12.9, Proj 6.5
    • My PS has ordered Mentor MemoryGel Xtra Smooth Roung Moderate Plus in a range of sized from 115 (for left breast) to 370 (for right breast). I don't know exactly what was ordered and was only told the range.

I am happy with my projection (probably around 4.5 cm) but would like a little more fullness. I think I may lose a little projection and that's ok. I am currently filling out a 36C bra nicely. I would like to ask my surgeon to please use the 370cc implant. I didn't have radiation and I think my skin has good elasticity.

Looking back at past messages I think I read that your implant was actually more ccs than your final fill volume. Is that correct and can you describe your experience? I imagine things will be a little high and tight for awhile but will, hopefully, drop and relax within a couple of months as the skin relaxes. Do you feel like the look of your volume increased after the exchange because you went with a larger implant than your TE volume? I'm hoping I get just a bit more fullness.

• whippetmom

scs208:

Yes, it used to be quite true that with the tissue expander to implant comparisons, as far as width and projection were concerned, it required a larger implant to match the dimensions of the TEs. That has changed somewhat, with the newer generations and styles by Mentor and Allergan. It also is a completely different issue with a single mastectomy. The issue is no longer size, but it is symmetry. So even though you will be getting a small implant on the native side, the amount of ptosis(droop) needs to be factored in with the implant on the MX side. So I think you are limited to 370 ccs to 405 ccs in the Mentor Xtra moderate plus. Best to you with your exchange next week

• scs208
    scs208 Member Posts: 5

Thanks Whippetmom!

Surgery was yesterday and I'm home and feeling surprisingly well. I ended up with a 370 on mx side and 190 in my remaining breast. Both implants are Mentor Xtra Moderate Plus. Now I just can't wait to see what they will look like in a couple of weeks when the swelling goes down. Thanks so much!

• whippetmom

SCS:

Sure; Looking forward to a good report!

Deborah

• ktcow
    ktcow Member Posts: 3

Hi Whippetmom - let me say you are doing an incredible service....15 months ago I had a double nipple sparing masectomey with nerve grafting, immediate implants Natrelle Inspira SCM 345, no expanders ....

pre surgery was probably a 36A /B (thinking I was a full B - you know how VS lies and tells us what we want to hear, LOL) I asked for a full C .....

needing revision and looking to swap out implants for larger size - I like my current overall shape just think I need more cleavage and projection

Measurements = 5'4" tall

under breast/ribcage = 34"

weight varies 150-158lbs but carry it all over - slim build

My Dr is hesitant to lager that 400cc but another Dr said he would recommend 660cc

what would you recommend ?

thanks again for your insight

• MEM127
    MEM127 Member Posts: 18

cpuett - Perfect timing. I was just looking up posts to see if anyone had a similar build to me and what implants they had. I had a single mx 4 weeks ago with TE, and thinking I may want to go up a size. (I had an excisional biopsy on the other side, and would need a smaller implant to match, so I am still debating). Anyway, I am 5'5, 150-155, and similar prior bra size, so I think we are probably similar in size/body shape. Were your prior implants 345 cc? My surgeon also uses Natrelle. I was guessing I'd need to do 400-450 cc to be a full B/small C, but I'd love to hear what whippetmom recommends. She is the expert! Thanks in advance!

• whippetmom

cpuett:

Going from 345 ccs to 400 ccs will do absolutely nothing. It is not worth the effort. I think you should go with the other plastic surgeon, who sounds more realistic. At least 550 ccs will be nice on your frame. Also, NOT a SCM - or other equivalent, because moderate height is too flat. You want a high profile style next time

Deborah

• whippetmom

MEM127:

A single Mx has a different criteria. Your PS needs to expand the tissue expander to a sufficient size to give you enough of a bit of ptosis (droop) to match the native breast. I do not know what that native breast looks like and I do not know what size of implant you might need to augment and match the mx side. I need to know about your tissue expander. See Item #2 in the thread header.

Deborah

• MEM127

Thank you whippetmom! Here's the info, or at least what I have:

SMX on right side; they took out just over 300 grams.

1. 5'5", 155 lbs, ribcage 34. Trying to lose 15 lbs, to get back to where I used to be until the past year, but it's slow-going. Middle age and pandemic life is a bad combo!

2. 300 cc Allergan Natrelle tissue expander serial #24422674. There was no notation of the style number in the surgical note or on the card they gave me. The PS said they can overfill the TE. Currently getting 50 cc a week. I'm only at 150 now - they could only do 50 during the MX because I hadn't healed from the lumpectomy a few weeks earlier, and I didn't give them a lot of skin to work with anyway. She said my skin is very tight.

3. I don't remember if the PS specified a certain brand of implant, but I'm assuming it's the same as the TE. I know it's over the muscle, non-textured, and silicone.

4. I wore a 36A before. I'm thinking/hoping to upsize to a full B or small C, which will require an implant on the left side.

Let me know if you need further info. I appreciate your input!

• whippetmom

MEM127

500 ccs to 550 ccs in a smooth round, high profile silicone implant.

Deborah

• MEM127

Whippetmom - thank you! You are a treasure on this site.

• ktcow

Thank you so much - this is so helpful ..... I have an appt with original surgeon to discuss sizing next month fix the droopy water balloons - I feel that the breast pocket is too big for the implant .....when I try measuring width I keep coming up with larger than the 12.5cm of the SCM345 -

I really like her and she does amazing work looks very natural for the most part you can't tell there has been a surgery but we will see if she is afraid of the sizing issue

Can you recommend a surgeon in California in case she is - I am centrally located in the San Joaquin Valley so I have to travel (North or South) to get good Dr.s so that is not a problem .... in fact current surgeon is in San Francisco ....

I like the idea of the 550 range .......You mentioned a high profile what your thoughts on the Natrelle Inspira SCF or SCX in the 550

Do you feel that having the implants over the muscle (pre-pectoral)with aloderm is going to create sizing limitation

• ktcow

Hi Mem127 - I didn't have implants prior .... the 345s are giving me a flat droopy B/C and that is with a moderate profile, like wippetmom recommend I feel either a high profile (extra full) or moderate profile 550

......from what I've read we can't beat wippetmom's recommendations this site would be lost without her knowledge and help

• whippetmom

ktcow:

You know, I think that the advancements in over the muscle placement make it possible to achieve more projection, than they have been with submuscular placement. The use of Alloderm, to sort of form what one Mayo plastic surgeon coined “the Allobra", could certainly aid in that department.The submuscular approach has always been problematic, from a cosmetic standpoint, because of the compression of the implant against the chest wall. So projection was always something rather elusive and always a hot topic of conversation. So a high profile SCF might give you sufficient projection.. A concern might be (and please discuss with your PS) that the skin integrity overlying the implant must be sufficient for coverage. So this might dictate the selection of sizing and profile of the implant. Your PS could go over all of that with you.

Deborah

From my list: List based on results I have observed....

Northern Cal: Kind and Chang plastic surgery

Yvonne Karanas, MD or Carl Bertelsen, MD, with Stanford Health Care

• wildmountains
    wildmountains Member Posts: 9

Hi Whippetmom,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Back in July 2015 my PS brought all 3 sizes in and ultimately went with Mentor Smooth Round High Profile in 800ccs. They were great, wide enough, only issue was rippling after 3+ years, and not much side profile but I was good with them. I was good size, full D size.

In late 2019 almost had an explant issue due to feeling implant edge bottom left side. Unbeknownst to me PS never put in the allodern slings for extra support back in July 2015.

Went ahead with exchange 2/6/20, on both sides to what I thought were the same implants Mentor 800ccs I had mentioned that I felt my implants were going into my armpits could we tighten the pockets. He said he might use slightly smaller implant and increase fullness but never showed implant to me at last visit. I then woke up from implant exchange surgery with newer Mentor Memory Gel Xtra High Profile in 790 cc and did alloderm ( dermal slings) no fat grafting he wanted to wait till I settled. My PS said they were fuller, great side profile and less rippling. Thought they would be a good option for me?

After swelling went down felt like I lost cup in chest size in width and shape, they are still big ( guessing large C) but look narrow and have no side breast fullness. They are not as wide and on my chest so to me they look too small, especially with my broad shoulders. In clothes look like I have higher pointy chest, but missing lower width and side fullness. So not a nice shape at all. Due to covid had to wait until now to look into revision.

Now yr later they are firmer, sit higher, have good side profile, no rippling, no issue of implant edge at all but they look too narrow on my chest. I look good in bra but horrible in clothes, lose shape and size and look flat forget wearing anything baggy.

Are they really that different from my previous ones, or can by fixing pocket to be bigger and adding fat grafting fix this issue of not being full enough? Really not happy with them and will be getting 2nd opinion from another PS. Trying to figure out best option do I stay with Mentor or look at others maybe Allergan Natrelle Inspira ? Thanks again

• whippetmom

wildmountain:

The original 800 cc implants were 15.5 cm in width and 6.0 cm in projection. Your current 790’s are 14.8 cm in width and 6.7 cm in projection. So we are looking at nearly a cm in width difference, which should not make such a distinct difference. However, the projection is significantly greater, and so it can give the appearance of diminishing the width. I am wondering if the pocket narrowing (called a capsulorrhaphy) was exaggerated. Do you want to send me a photo via private message?

Deborah

• Ctrunningmom
    Ctrunningmom Member Posts: 4

hi there - found your post a day late! Curious as to what you might have suggested - weight 141lbs currently heavy for me, usually 125 and will get back once done with all this, originally an a cup, expanders were 250cc and we ended up doing 330 mentor 334-1104 memoryshape tall height high profile, rib cage is 34,thoughts

• lmcmorrow
    lmcmorrow Member Posts: 2

Hi Whippetmom,

I'm wondering if you can help me with sizing. Here are all my stats:

Height: 5'3 Weight: 128 ribcage: 32
    Tissue Expander: Allergan reference # 133mx-11T - I am not sure what the fill volume is but I was a 36B previously and would like to be a small C. I am currently filled with 150cc each and that is pretty flat. Any thoughts?

Thanks!