Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

I know I cant be the only lesbian out here?

Comments

• Lisa614
    Lisa614 Member Posts: 17
    edited July 2012

VVH:  Yay, just one to go!!!  You're in the home stretch.  Good for you.

• Cyndielou
    Cyndielou Member Posts: 1,459
    edited July 2012
    Good Luck Tomorrow Lisa!!!!! 
  • Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2012

Been watching and reading this thread for a while. I am amazed that there are so few of us wandering down this path, good in some senses. But on the other hand is there really only a handfull of lesbians with BC. Either way lets kick it arse into touch.

Great to know there are others

• Cyndielou
    edited July 2012

Hi Hils.... Here's to Kicking Cancer's ASS!!!!!!  IM with ya girl!

• outfield
    outfield Member Posts: 235
    edited July 2012

Hi you all.  I'm thinking about what Hils wrote.  I bet there are a lot of us, probably like me, who find ourselves more drawn to some other part of the boards at some particular time.  I think my sexuality has definitely colored how I experience breast cancer, but it's just one piece of it.  

But I do value that this forum is here.  

• Hils
    edited July 2012

Cyndielou thanks for the welcome and it is great to be a part of the FB community as well, I know it is early days but it always good to see a group grow. Outfield I am sure there are more of us out there on the BCO forum, but I think we go to where we need the support at the time and sometimes our sexuality comes second to all of the stuff that BC throws at us.

For all of you undergoing treatment and ops I hope all goes as planned. I am just waiting for my last op then tatoo to complete my UMX and then hopefully it will just be a matter of being checked on a regular basis. As it has been deemed that I do not need any hormonal treatment. Just hope they have got it right, as I know if I was in America or the UK I probably would be on Tamoxifen for the next five years.

Don't you just love this rollercoaster ride ;)

• cooka
    cooka Member Posts: 62
    edited July 2012

Yeah Outfield, I feel that I am drawn to other discussions equally, if not more...but I am glad we are here:)

Lisa, thinking about you on your first chemo day. Hope you are weathering it ok. I felt relieved to get the first one over with, hope the same is true for you. 

• Lovegolf
    Lovegolf Member Posts: 75
    edited July 2012

Hi

There was an active thread years ago when I was going through treatment...it helped alot.  There are many of us here. It has been over three years for me. For those you going through it now there is another side. You will get through.  It does change you. There is calm strenghth that comes to you. 

• Cyndielou
    edited July 2012

Outfield..you are absolutly right about sexuality coming second in all the other things we have to deal with in this exclusive club we have all been invited to join.  Yes, I will be on Tammy for two years than Arimidex for 3.... hysterectomy in a couple of weeks....roller coaster ride... totally agree. 

Lisa, hope you did ok with your first Chemo...was thinking about ya.

• Lisa614
    edited July 2012

Hi all,  

My first chemo yesterday and I made it through.  The hardest part being walking through the door and then sitting in the chair.  Thankfully, I had my ex and good friend with me to keep me company.  

Didn't feel too bad last night.  A little queasiness around 4 am but had some crackers and went back to sleep.  

Went into work today, late...but in just the same.  Did ok but ran out of steam before lunch time.  Worked till 4pm then up to Dr. for my Neulasta shot.   Around 2pm my steroid medicine (given IV before chemo) decided to kick in and my face became flushed and my legs started feeling like I have restless leg syndrome.   I had to go lie down in one of our treatment rooms for about 15 mins. just to calm down.   Now I just am having some indigestion and bloating.  Shouldn't have chewed that 1 piece of gum at work.

My niece is here till tomorrow morning.  We are spending some great quality time together.   She is going to be cooking me a nice baked fish dinner.    Hope my appetite comes soon.  

Glad #1 is over...1/4 of the way there...thanks for all your kind support.

Hi to all the newcomers.  

Lisa 

• cooka
    edited July 2012

Glad to hear it is going ok Lisa. Did you get some Biotene mouthwash? That worked wonders for me.  Also, plan on maybe geting some flu-like symptoms Monday or so...may want to leave room in your scheudule to take it easy the early part of the week.  Glad you've got support:)

• outfield
    edited July 2012

Lisa, hang in, sounds like it's going pretty well.  

That's impressive that you're at work. 

• Cyndielou
    edited July 2012

Great to hear from you Lisa.....hang in there Kiddo...

• Hils
    edited July 2012

Excellent news Lisa, great to hear that you have great support during this time. Hope everyone has a great weekend

• virginiab
    virginiab Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2012

Hello to everyone!

I am just at that wierd stage of figuring out the treatment protocol. Then it will be on to chemo, radaition, hormonal stuff. I'm lucky to have great support from my partner of 24 years (who is now my wife thanks to our neighbors to the north who let us marry in their fine land, Canada). Her workplace is being terrific about letting her rearrange her schedule to go to appointments with me. She ommented that she couldn't imagine how someone in the closet at work could make it through having a partner with cancer!

I look forward to having the chance to pop in here from time to time. Thanks for being here.

Virginia

• Cyndielou
    edited July 2012

Hi Virginia,

24 years?? Thats Great!! Kudo's to you and congratulations on your marriage! Good luck with your treatment.

Cyn

• Lisa614
    edited July 2012

Cooka, yes have the Biotene mouthwash and toothpaste.  Noticed yesterday that my gums are VERY sensitive and I can hardly use the toothbrush on them.   Will try but mostly using the mouthwash for now.   I'm worried about my oral health now.   Oh well, I guess I will just have to deal with whatever happens after it's all over.  

Spent most of yesterday on couch mostly because I think I just felt lazy.  I was a little achy but not too bad.  I did have to take my niece to airport in Ft. Lauderdale (1-1/2 hr.) away last night.  She drove up but i had to drive back and I can tell you that I was just exhausted when I got home.   I'm sad that she's gone but feel so loved and blessed that she came all this way from Syracuse NY to be with me and help.  She is truly special.  She said she is going to come back down for treatment #2.  

Today is going ok.  I didn't exactly feel rested when I woke up but it's going ok.  Made light breakfast and now just hanging out.  I am debating on whether to attend a pool party at 1:00.   I would really like to see some friends but feel I might overdo it (even if all I do is sit there).   Would be easier if it weren't 45 minutes away.  

I do plan on going to work tomorrow....as a physical therapist assistant, my job is pretty physical but everyone there is very understanding.  I'll let you know how that goes.   I was also told day 3 after Neulasta was going to be the worst for flu-like symptoms too...thanks for the tip as well, Cooka.

A big congratulations to Virginiab and her wife!   Sort of jealous in that I moved from NY state and now they have legalized marriage!  well, maybe someday.....

Take care everyone and happy Sunday.

Lisa 

• virginiab
    edited July 2012

CyndiLou-- Thanks for the welcoming words.

Lisa614-- I'll be thinking of you and hope your day at work goes well tomorrow.

Hugs to all!

Virginia

• Lisa614
    edited July 2012

Not able to go to work today....yesterday started with the body aches and joint pain.  Take Clariten but doesn't seem to help.  Feels like I have the achy flu.   Woke up today and could barely walk the dog.   I hope this doesn't last for too much longer.  

• cooka
    edited July 2012

Sorry Lisa, it's not fun when it starts to do it's thing. You will probably start feeling a little better tomorrow, then pretty solid Wednesday.  I'm pretty sure that's that's the Taxotere kicking in. I had the flu stuff even before I started taking Neulasta.  For me, the Neulasta kicked in 7-8 days after infusion...but my chemosabis said that was pretty unusual timing.  Hang in there, I did a lot of walking (as much as I could stand) and yoga and drank tons of water to get that crap out of my body (even though I appreciated its efforts to nuke the little cancer buggers).

Congratulations Virginia on 24! My partner (she hasn't made an "honest woman" of me yet) and I are at 17. Couldn't have made it without her.  

• Hils
    edited July 2012

Lisa hope as the week goes on it will get better for you  

24 years is great Virginia, my partner and I have been together for 22 years and has been my rock during this time, although it has taken the two of us on a roller coaster ride. We had our Civil Partnership in 2006 and have to say even though it is not quite the same thing as a marriage. I have to say when we got together back in 1990 I never thought we would ever be able to have a CP or a marriage, I am so glad the world has changed and continues to change. But there is always room for improvement Smile

Hope the week is kind to you all

• TrailGirl
    TrailGirl Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012

I just found you all! I can't believe how many forums are on this site.

I just completed chemo 3 weeks ago today. I still have a lot of pain in my legs and finger joints. But that's about the only side effect left...besides my hair. I'm getting some hair growth on my head, but nothing to write home about. I'm still losing eyebrows and eye lashes...that started the last 4 weeks of chemo and is continuing. I always used to say that I wanted to shave my hair off to see what it was like to be bald...be careful what you wish for!!

I have an appt with the BS on the 23rd to get a date for surgery.

My partner of 16 years has been taking fantastic care of me. I always knew I was lucky to have her, but this experience truly seals the deal! 

• Lisa614
    edited July 2012

Hi Trailgirl....congratulations on finishing your chemo.  It must be a big relief.  

• TrailGirl
    edited July 2012

Lisa614...chemo was the worst experience I've ever had. After getting through that, I'm pretty confident that surgery and rads will be easier.

• virginiab
    edited July 2012

Hey, trailgirl--

Welcome! I've sometimes admired the girly versions of a butch haircut and wondered how I would look in one, so I think I'll give it a one-week trial before shaving my head. I'm just starting chemo this week and it's always good to hear from those emerging from the other end!

• PinkyWI
    PinkyWI Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2012

Hi Ladies!

Recently diagnosed and have been perusing the various threads.  Glad to find this one.  I am a PFLAG mom and chapter leader and I am sending each and everyone of you tight or gentle (depending on where you are in treatment) HUGS!

Hang in there everyone!

• TrailGirl
    edited July 2012

Virginian... Are you not getting the Adriamycin?

I had Adriamycin and Cytoxan for four treatments then Taxol for four. I did not have a good time with chemo...pretty much on the couch the whole time.

I hope you are one of the lucky ones with minimal SE's!

• outfield
    edited July 2012

Lisa, have you tried putting your toothbrush under hotwater while you brush?  It softens the bristles.  Few seconds under the running water, then a little brushing, then back to the water again, etc.   My mouth was very sensitive too.

• virginiab
    edited July 2012

TrailGirl--

I am not doing Adriamycin. Just Cytoxan and Taxotere for 6 cycles of 3 weeks each. I was offered a clinical trial of AC/T vs CT, but I opted to just go for the CT.  And I asked my doc whether we really know that 6 sessions are better than 4 and she said it is not a settled issue. We know that 6 sessions of AC are better than 4 so we're guessing that is also true for TC. Shesaid that if I choose to, I could decide to quit after 4. I love my doc. She shares information and takes my questions seriously.

• Lisa614
    edited July 2012

Outfield, thanks for the toothbrush tips! Will give it a try next round...which is Wednesday! Oh boy. I am thankful that i am having a good week and feel well enough to do things this weekend. It makes it so much more tolerable.

I began to lose my hair yesterday morning in the shower and throughout the day so i had my co-worker's wife shave it off last night. Still getting used to the different sensations my scalp is having. Getting used to the looks and questions. I feel that i have now "come out" of the closet as a cancer patient. Sporting a nice Nike Dri-fit hat at work and a dew rag at home...feeels ok. Another adjustment along the journey.

Here's hoping everyone is doing well and having minimal SE's...for those under treatment.