Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited August 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hujNAmtA0c

Chris this link above might be your song. It is a powerful but not sure of the exact on you were looking for.

Hershey, praying you can stay safe and that your waiver will be approved.

Have a wonderful weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

Proverbs 3:5-6 King James Version

5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited August 2020

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

Thanks Ade for the beautiful banner. That is one of my favorite verses and the Tiger Swallowtail is one of my favorite butterflies.

Have a great weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

Have a good day dear sisters. There are severe storms coming and I have to rush to the grocery store and I don't have much time before it hits here.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited August 2020

Beautiful banner and powerful scripture,Nancy! I hope you got home before the storms. We had ominous clouds but not a drop of MUCH needed rain. Perhaps tomorrow.

Sweet dreams, ladies,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

Thanks Ade. Yes, I made it home in time but our tornado sirens went off a little later and Cammie and I spent some time in my interior bathroom. She was NOT a happy camper. After seeing the news we got off very well compared to some of the other suburbs. The high winds did a lot of damage with downed trees on cars and houses.

I have my birthday lunch tomorrow and I am a bit nervous about that. We will be outside but they have a lot of people crammed into a very small space from what I can see.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited August 2020

GOD KEEPS HIS PROMISES ~ TRUST IN HIM.

Love,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

Beautiful Ade. What a blessing to get a photo of a double rainbow. So neat.

I had a neat surprise tonight. My sunflower photo that I posted here last week was on the nightly news from NBC 5 Chicago this evening. On a whim I submitted it to Brant Miller's (meteorologist) email address and I said some complimentary things to him regarding the chemistry with his co anchors. I said I feel like I am watching family every night. He emailed me back right away and said you made our day. Then a blurb about your photo might appear on the new cast, website. etc. That part was like a form letter saying they have rights to your photo etc. I waited on Thursday, Friday and Monday and had pretty much given up seeing it. Then today I had my birthday celebration with my friend and was gone a good part of the afternoon. I had things to do when getting home and this evening I just happened to be making photo cards from that sunflower picture. It was getting late and it was around 9:15 and I checked my email. Brant Miller had emailed me around 4:30 today saying your photo will be on the 10 pm newscast. I was shocked and thrilled. I wrote him back saying I just happen to be making photo cards from that very photo and almost missed your email. I sent that some time after 9:15. So during his weather photo segment he shows my picture and said Nancy makes photo cards from her pictures and maybe you will see them on the rack some day. So that was quite a surprise so it was a good day of celebrations.

Love

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited August 2020

What a delightful story, Nancy! I'm so happy for you. You are such a talented photographer, and the greater Chicago viewing area got to enjoy your artistry last night. That's exciting and fantastic news all rolled into one. Congratulations!!

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

Thank you Hershey. I have to say it was pretty exciting. Thank you. My only regret is that I did not find this passion until I was a senior. I am now 69 and that number alone still seems surreal. In my mind I am still in my 30's.........now if my body will act like it is in it's 30's I will be in great shape. LOL

Any word from HR? Still praying you will get your release to work at home.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited August 2020

Nancy, yes that is a great story. I am so glad you are being recognized for your gift. Praying you and Cammie are doing well.

I am having a good day--can't always say that! I have tortilla soup cooking in the crockpot and my granddaughter is practicing writing her ABCs while I am crocheting. That is my simple life right now.

Love and prayers,

Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

Chris, thank you. I am glad you are having a good day. I pray for many more of those for you. Has school started for your granddaughter? I know you mentioned you would be her facilitator. Praying that you will have the strength and stamina for that responsibility.

• ade
    edited August 2020

Chris I am so thankful to the Lord for granting you a GOOD day! It's funny but most of us are amazed if we wake up feeling NORMAL once in a while. I am almost giddy when I have one of those and think, "What can I do today that I can't otherwise - to make the most of this blessing?" Your soup sounds yummy even if it is 100 degrees here! I make that for company sometimes and they seem to love it. I offer corn chips, sour cream, and shredded Mexican cheese to top it. May God bless your heart for being your grandbaby's teacher and helping her mom in this way. I spent most of my early years with my beloved grandma since my mom worked full time and I loved my grandma dearly all of her life. May that be the case with your relationship too.

Nancy - what a wonderful birthday celebration day surprise!!! That must have been a thrill! (We KNEW it was a great shot when we saw it, didn't we, ladies!) A long time ago we took a photo of our then two Airedales frolicking in a deep snow drift against our house and the local news highlighted that. We were thrilled to have two "celebs" under our roof. Also one of Emily's pix made NATIONAL news!!! I was heading down the sidewalk to our garage where she had her photography studio and happened to look up and see a funnel cloud. I ran in and called her out to see it and of course she snapped it. It was just a baby funnel way up high but the close up she got made it look like more. Anyway it made the national news but they said it was taken by "a photographer from South Charleston Ohio". Not much credit there but it was quite exciting for us anyway. Glad you are ok from those terrible storms and sorry Miss Cammie was out of sorts about it...your trying to save her LIFE and all! Maggie is TERRIFIED of the very few storms we get. She wants on my LAP! We have been having some dark clouds, lightning and thunder (even the rainbow) but NO RAIN. It is SO dry that we all fear a repeat of the awful devastating drought fires of 2011. Please pray for some rain and no fires for us when you think about it. Our friends are afraid their well will run dry. (About your b-day, I am also a 30s-something trapped inside somewhere in an old 69 year old body.) I KNOW where from you come! :o)

Blessings on your evening, Sisters,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

Thank you Ade. Yes, it was a thrill. You have had that thrill as well with your two dogs. Your daughter making the national news is really something. Too bad she didn't get the proper credit for it.

With those bad storms that came through I don't think we got a whole lot of rain from it. Some company contracted by the city had to tear up some of my front yard and parkway and seeded with probably inferior seed. Those places look like they could go up in flames with a flick of a cigarette they look so awful. I will pray for rain. Our rainfall has gone from way too much to now not enough. If we could find a happy medium it would be great.

I have finally started to feel good from walking. I have been walking every other night for 2 plus miles and that seems to be the sweet spot for me. The problem is the days are getting shorter so I am going to have to make some changes soon as I don't want to be walking in the dark.

Cammie is doing better but tonight she really didn't want to play much at all. That has been something we have been doing again to keep her stimulated and happy.

Teka, thank you. I have been making greeting cards for quite some time now but I don't sell them. It seems like I always have some occasion to make them and now I have been looking into a backup printer knowing if my photo printer stopped working I would really be at a loss. I have toyed with the idea of selling on Etsy but with me traveling downstate so much it is just not very practical. I don't want anything to take the fun out of my photography. If it starts to feel like a job or too much pressure then that is what I want to avoid.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited August 2020

Nancy, I totally understand your reluctance to sell your beautiful cards. It is the reason I crochet only for family or gifts. I have had several people who want to buy my amigurumi dolls but I refuse to start that. For one thing, they would not be willing to pay me enough for the ten plus hours it takes to make one not counting the materials and time to purchase and sort and store all the materials. And I refuse to add anything stressful to my life if I can avoid it. I am glad you are walking--I need to do more of that. But I did do dishes tonight since my daughter is in the midst of studying for finals. This is difficult for me as bending over to do dishes causes a lot of back pain. She would have done them tomorrow after her two finals but I don't like dishes to remain in the sink overnight. My thing...

Ade, I will add a rain prayer for you. The fires are just now starting up in California and I know Texas is in a bad way this year. We have to use more water to keep things more sanitary to avoid the Covid, but they are beginning to talk about limiting water usage because of drought. I don't know how we can do both! My dishwasher is on sanitizer cycle as I write this.

Tomorrow is another day to thank God for the toilet paper!

Chris

• hersheykiss
    edited August 2020

I've made necklaces, earrings and bracelets for myself and friends over the years. Now that I'm at home more, I don't wear much jewelry and have entertained the thought of selling on Etsy. Everything's already made, so there isn't any time involved to create the pieces. Then again, it's stressful just thinking about establishing an LLC, registering with the State, creating a website, etc. I have enough on my plate, including still not hearing anything official from my HR Department. Ugh.

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

Chris, I bet your dolls are beautiful. I know you are dealing with a lot more than you share here but know that you are in our prayers continually as you go through this tough time. My walking has been good but I have had some terrible insomnia lately and I am trying to figure if my walking in the evening is part of that problem. Nothing is easy is it? Has your granddaughter's e learning started yet? Praying for you in that as well.

Hershey, I hear you on all of those points regarding selling. We have quite a group of talented people here making jewelry, selling jewelry and making dolls. Maybe we should pool our resources and have our on community shop!!!! Just kidding. Continued prayers for a positive review from your HR and hopefully soon.

Remember that some of the things we deal with are the invisible enemy at work. Yesterday was one of those days for me. A big thing and then a couple of little annoyances that caused me quite a bit of clean up. I knew right away that this was the enemy trying to steal my joy and celebration from the photo on TV thing. Sometimes it takes me a while to realize just what is happening but the Lord let me "see" yesterday early on what was happening. Just an FYI. When you make your own coffee if you forget to put that piece in that holds the coffee and filter you are in for a royal mess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our church held a revival weekend last week during a pandemic and it sounded like quite a few people came to the Lord for the first time. I was watching online but many raised their hands according to the guest preacher. He spoke on sheep and the qualities of sheep. He did not come right out and say they are dumb but I have heard other preachers say that. They are very vulnerable and can easily get lost from the herd. I guess "we" are the sheep and it doesn't take too much imagination to realize that was the perfect analogy. Of course Jesus is the Shepherd. He diligently looks after His sheep. We know the voice of Jesus and know when we are lost and have strayed. Very much like the innocent sheep we can get lost without intentionally wandering off the path. We have the assurance that Jesus will leave the herd to find us and save us from ourselves and bring us back to the fold. There is great comfort in that. We don't have to wander in darkness groping our way through life. We have a Savior that is leading us to our eventual home where there will be no more cancer and suffering but only peace and joy in perfect bodies. I don't know about you but that sounds pretty nice compared with this crazy mixed up world we are living in now.

Have a good day dear sisters.

Foots, we would love to hear from you.

Love,

Nancy

John 10:10-11New International Version

10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

• ade
    edited August 2020

Chris thank you for rain prayers. As we walked today we noticed that the rocky dirt road we travel is powder now, not even packed dirt. And the poor prickly pear cacti are thin and emaciated, not plump. The choya cacti are drooping and dieing. You know, for cacti to die of drought - you need WATER and FAST! I don't know how the poor animals can make it. We water the birds, but can't help all the rest of them. Again our big concern is wildfires. They swept through these parts and Fort Davis big time just before we moved here and scorched the land and many houses burned down. We built a stucco house with tin roof and kept the growth back from it for that very reason, but others could be in peril with another fire.

Hershey I am sorry you still don't have word about your exemption. I pray that comes soon in your favor.

Nancy, WOW! TWO miles! But you are probably on sidewalks not rocky dirt hilly roads. On ours I have to "switch into power gear" on a good part of it that is rough and uphill. But to walk on the paved road out front you always have to watch for traffic and it is so nice and quiet on the "around the block" route. I feel better walking too, though, as is probably with you, it is hard to make yourself do it (and I jump out of bed before sun up WITHOUT MY COFFEE and hit the road! We see lots of wildlife and the deer let you walk almost up to them before they flee. Once we saw a PORCUPINE in a bushy tree right by our house! We had no idea there were any here. There are birds that cheer us on. They land on the next power pole, sing, and as we get there they go to the next one - pretty cool!

I love the verses on sheep. The thought of Jesus holding the lambs in His arms and watching over them (us) is so encouraging in this time of history isn't it.

On selling online...I have been doing it on eBay for over 20 years and still love it. I started out selling household things to get rid of them and the things left over from my gift shop. I discovered the joy of creating jewelry and did that for quite a while until China came into the market and undersold us with their cheap things and they got favored status with shipping that we don't have so they crowded us American sellers out of the market. I still have a lot of jewelry for sale but sadly am not making it anymore. When we move I will sell out my millions of beads and findings probably. I do pretty well with my Christian bookmarks, devotionals, journals, jewelry, stickers, note cards and gifts now (Christian things aren't a big market for China so not as much competition there). I have had customers who are wonderful Christian ladies for years and we have become friends through this. I pray to be a good witness to anyone I sell to. I wouldn't even have to leave my house to ship if we had mail service like we did in Ohio. I drive into town 6 days a week to ship. I am looking forward to simply putting shipments into my own mailbox like I once did. I print my shipping labels online right from the eBay site and get a discount for using it. I bought a postal scales from the post office for under $30 and it weighs down to the ounce. So you just type in the measurements of your package and weight and eBay calculates the shipping amount for each mode of shipping for you. It is easy! You do have to take your photos and write a description for your listing but that gets easy with practice too. You also need to register with PayPal but they take any credit and debit cards FOR you which is great so you don't have the hassle of credit cards. I have had no problems with PayPal. Anyway I just wanted to share my own experience with you who have considered selling. I chose eBay over Etsy because they reach so many more people. One of my friends switched to Etsy but didn't do as well and came back to eBay. PLEASE - I AM NOT SOLICITING SALES! I am ONLY sharing the link to my store so you can just see what I do. www.Alpine-Ade-Designs.com

https://www.ebay.com/str/alpineadedesigns/Christian-Faith-Items/_i.html?_storecat=10391222018

Blessings,

Ade

• hersheykiss
    edited August 2020

Ade, are you the artist who is credited on your eBay site with creating the jewelry designs? I really like the copper glass leaf earrings!

• intolight
    edited August 2020

Thanks Nancy. Bria's schooling doesn't start until Aug 31. The date is good as she and her mom get the week off to fly to NY and visit my son before school starts again for the both of them.

Ade, sounds like you are a selling pro! I just don't have the energy. And you are right...we had cholla cacti on our property in the desert. I hated it as the prickles were awful if you got even close, but we knew we were in water trouble when they looked bad.

Here are some pics of my latest dolls. My granddaughter is into My Little Pony but these are very difficult. I had to put them on hold to order the floss to embroider their special symbols on their thighs--too much work for a toy! The Star Wars are the newest ones I am making for my grandsons, and of course Snoopy for the baby. I keep busy!

imageimageimage 1image

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

Wow. Ade. You have a lot of varied things for sale. I looked at almost every page. Many neat things. I especially love the jewelry and abalone in particular. You must be busy going to the PO six days a week so kudos to a successful business.

You mentioned I probably walk on sidewalks. Actually a good part of my walk is in an unincorporated area near me so they have no sidewalks. When I am walking in that area there is very little cars and I don't see many people from the houses which I always find curious. Some of these are the McMansions. I find it very a safe feeling in this pandemic. I am not walking on dirt as you are which would be difficult. When I see people walking with their earbuds in I wouldn't want to do that because I like to hear the sounds of nature like you enjoying your birds singing. At this time of year it is hearing the locusts.

Chris, your dolls are adorable. My Dad loved Snoopy so we would get him all sorts of Snoopy themed things. He would love your cute doll. I can see how you could spend many hours on each one of your beautiful creations. I am glad you have more time before you start school with your granddaughter. Having that week when they will be gone will give you a breather as well.

I do have a prayer request which I forgot to mention earlier. I am having an MRI of the brain on Monday afternoon to check on the brain tumor. I would appreciate prayers for calm during the scan. I have had to fight claustrophobia in the past but have managed to have the scans without sedation on quite a few of them the last few years. I have had trouble with the IV's as well so I would appreciate your prayers for that and of course for no growth in the tumor. Thank you.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited August 2020

Chris, your dolls are beautiful. Sphero and Snoopy are adorable!

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

Thank you Teka. Trying not to think about it. How nice to have a daughter that can make you bracelets. Maybe I can teach Cammie how to do thatHappy.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited August 2020

Hershey I make most of my jewelry (but not the abalone bracelets & earrings). If the copper glass ones you are referring to are the ones I think - I did make those.

Chris your knitted dolls are SO cute - and I bet so much time is into each one. (Seling isn't for everyone - it was just something I could do from home.)

Nancy I pray your IV and scan go PERFECTLY and you have God's peace, and the results are GOOD GOOD GOOD! Be sure to let us know how it went and your results please.

Our son is coming for supper so I need to scram. Pray for the safety of our Border Agents too please. That's a whole different front line and he is out there in the field alone at night with poor communication devices, covering MANY miles. Thanks!

Hugs and prayers,

Ade

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited August 2020

Hello dear friends, sorry I've been MIA again but I've been reading and praying for all of you. I've been going through a tough time with lots of anxiety and sciatica pain and some health issues for my DH. I finally talked to my PCP and he has given me some medication and also recommended a therapist to talk to. I had my first session this past week but as some of you know, nothing happens very fast when your mind is involved. As much as I pray, it seems it's all in God's time and I just have to trust that all will be well.

Nancy, congratulations on your beautiful sunflower picture making the news. That must have been a real surprise and thrill. I'm sorry I missed seeing it. I'm so glad and envious that you are walking so much. I know how healthy that has to be for you. I'm only walking about 20 minutes on a treadmill right now with this leg pain. I am praying that your MRI is easy and has all good news for you.

Ade, I loved your double rainbow picture but I'm sure it's probably partly the result of no rain and much dust in the air and I'm praying you get that much needed rain. But, it's all part of God's beauty and his plan, isn't it? I took a brief look at your website, goodness, I had no idea what a beautiful wide variety of items you sell. That has to keep you really busy. I keep praying that James feels better and that you find the right place to buy in Ohio.

Chris, yes, it is so good to wake up and feel like it's almost a normal good day. I keep praying your new treatment is doing it's job and not causing you too many SE's. That tortilla soup sounds wonderful, I'll have to try it one day. Lately, I haven't felt much like cooking, doing just the bare minimum of old standbys and nothing new. I love your darling crochet animals, especially Snoopy. Back in the dark ages more than 50 years ago, I would make them for friends having new babies. I'd forgotten about that. I hope teaching your DGD isn't too stressful for you and only helps to distract you from what you are dealing with.

Hershey, I keep praying that you get what you need from the HR at your. company. I'm sure you need and deserve it.

I'm having blood tests and meeting my MO this week so I would appreciate a few prayers that all continues to be stable and my anxiety stays under control.

Sending love and prayers to all of you,

Faith (in the future).

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

Thank you Ade and Faith and all who have prayed for me. I walked almost 3 miles tonight and hopefully I will be so tired that I can sleep. I have had terrible insomnia lately and I can't figure out what is going on. I think I am most concerned about my claustrophobia with the MRI since I haven't had one of these scans for a while.

Ade, I know having a son be on the border patrol must be scary. Praying for him for protection. Also praying for rain for the parts of the country that so desperately need it. Praying for you and James always.

Faith, I have continued to pray for you and I am glad that you have talked to your PCP and put some things into motion that will hopefully be a great help to you. I spent 6 or 7 months with a social worker last year and it was very helpful. I am glad that you have someone now that you can talk to and I pray that it will be a game changer for you getting you on a good path. Praying for your blood tests and your MO apt and that all things will be a good news. Thank you regarding my sunflower pic.

Have a good week dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2020

• ade
    edited August 2020

What a beautiful banner, Nancy! Wow you have become quite the walker - and it does help me sleep too. James has very bad insomnia. I don't know if it is his depression (he's on the computer with the VA psych weekly visit right now) or because his blood pressure is up, or something else. I am praying for peace for your scan coming up and GOOD results!

Faith I am so sorry you're having such a rough time physically and mentally - I can empathize! I pray you and your DH are feeling God's healing hand very soon and for His peace for your anxiety.

I fell down our steps the other morning. Nothing like awakening to the sound of a large dog about to throw up and trying to get them OUT the door before they do! I landed hard on cement which lightly sprained my ankle and the arthritic lumbar and cervical spine bone spur weren't too happy about it either. That's getting better but the abdominal pain is back again - so with all that we didn't walk this morning. We take Sunday off anyway. Could always be worse I know.

Please pray for our daughter-in-law, Pam and her 3 sisters and their families. Her dad won't make it through the day. He knows Jesus so it will be a Homecoming, but it is hard on the ones left behind.

Love & prayers for you all,

Ade

• intolight
    edited August 2020

Nancy, beautiful banner. I love those colors. I walked Saturday but paid for it all day with pain and extra fatigue. I know I need to walk more but I suffer when I do so it is a vicious cycle for me. I can manage grocery shopping but have to rest when I get home. So happy you can make it three miles! Wow!

Ade, Praying for your DDIL and family. It is always difficult to lose a loved one. So sorry you fell down the stairs but thankful you weren't hurt worse. You are James are in my daily prayers.

Faith, praying your tests are good and your meeting with your MO goes well and that God sends peace in the midst of your storm.

I know God holds us all in His hands, and sometimes that takes the form of hugs from friends. Thank you for being my friend. I hug you back. Chris