Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited October 2020

Jean, you have a beautiful view to enjoy in all seasons but especially in autumn.

Chris, thank you. The last couple of days have been really tough as the reality sets in.

I do hope that you can take your trip to AZ. It would be a great relief from the stress of the remote learning and it would be great to see your new sister and your aunt. Hopefully your daughter can take over the remote learning for a while. I am praying this will happen for you.

There never seems to be a dull moment. I have a mouse living in my bedroom. In the middle of the night I heard something rustling two nights ago. Last night a repeat except this time I actually saw it. I can't set a trap in my bedroom because of Cammie but I did set the live trap. I bought this natural repellant which has very strong cinnamon smell and put that on a paper towel on the floor. I don't know if it repelled the mouse but it was way too strong for me!!! This morning the nasty critter left many deposits by the paper towel with the repellant on it. I think it was sending a strong message that it was NOT happy about my deposit!

PS Cammie is on guard as she tried to get it last night.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2020

Ade, how are you and James doing? Praying for you both.

Woke up to more snow on the roof....no accumulation though. I still have plants in containers to deal with.

Have a good day dear sisters. I think I got my unwanted bedroom visitor....if not him then his cousin.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2020

I found out that the courthouse where I filed my Mom's will had an outbreak of Covid and are closing that office. I called them to see if I had to quarantine and they said no, these people were out sick that are suspected of having it.

I would ask your prayers for an upcoming procedure. I have to have a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis. I saw my oncologist yesterday. She is not too worried but wants to be on the safe side as there are some issues with the adrenal gland and the liver. What I didn't realize is that there is a lot more prep for this than my other CT scans. I hydrate a ton before these procedures that require an IV which this one does. However I can't have any food or water four hrs before the procedure and will be drinking barium stuff. Please pray that I they will be able to get a vein that will work and that these things showing up will be nothing serious.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited October 2020

Nancy, so sorry to hear about your upcoming procedure. I will pray that they find a vein and that you tolerate the contrast and CT well. But mostly, I pray that the results show nothing of concern.

Ade, how are you and James doing? I have been thinking of you.

Still planning on taking the short road trip to AZ. Had a video appt with my onc today and she moved my scan back a month since my results show good, but she wants no reduction in my meds. I guess I just have to deal with the side effects while I am away. It will be good to not have to worry about interrupting Christmas with a scan.

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited October 2020

Nancy, I'm sorry to hear you need a CT scan and pray that they don't find any problems. I also have trouble with them finding a vein for the IV since they can only use my right arm. Besides hydrating well, it helps to keep it very warm and I also pump my arm a bit before they try to find the vein. That seems to help. I sure hope you get rid of your mouse, that would freak me out and I certainly wouldn't be able to sleep if I thought it was running around. Glad to hear that you probably weren't exposed to Covid. It's getting so scary again with the numbers rising. We were actually going to celebrate our 60th anniversary on Saturday with the kids at a restaurant and then of course, the governor stopped indoor dining again. So we got take out instead from the restaurant and ate here. It was a nice evening but I'm sure tired of staying home. I hope you've been able to finalize all the details with your mom's death and that each day gets a little easier for you knowing she is at peace.

Thanks for asking, I think my anxiety and depression are starting to get a little better with this new medication and talking to a different therapist. And for some reason, without going to anymore PT, my sciatica is also a little better. I have been trying to do the exercises on my own and walking on the treadmill and it seems to be helping.

Chris, your trip to AZ sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I'm sure that will be a wonderful break for you and will lift your spirits. It's great that your tests are good but it would be nice if they could reduce your meds so the SE's wouldn't be so bad. Enjoy your trip and I'll pray that you feel good while there.

Jean, I love your autumn picture with the Mountain View. There is something so special about seeing the mountains daily. One of our daughters lives in Idaho and also has a view of the mountains from her backyard. I love visiting there. If we didn't have three other children near us, we'd consider moving out there.

Ade, I think of you and James often.Hope all is okay with both of you.

Love and prayers for everyone here,

Faith (in the future)

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2020

Nancy, I am a "tough stick" too. I pray that your technician is very skilled, the IV goes in without a hitch, and the results are benign.

I've never had a mouse in the house until this year. At least two got into our ductwork. We heard them jumping around in the vents and scurrying about in the trunk lines. We set traps and got one, but it took almost two weeks. I hope they don't have a nursery in there!?

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2020

Chris, thank you. I just scheduled the CT for Thursday, Nov. 5. I have to have blood work and pick up my barium to drink on a day before. Sounds like fun times coming for me. I am a bit nervous knowing all that is involved. At least I now know that the blood work doesn't happen on the same day. I couldn't figure out how all of this was going to work. I hope you have a wonderful time on your road trip to AZ. Stay safe!!!

Faith, thanks for the tips. Since I won't be able to hydrate much right before the CT scan because of the barium it will be in the Lord's hands. Those needles are bigger and that is part of the issue compared with regular blood work which is a challenge anyway. I am so glad to hear you are doing better on all fronts. That is great news and answers to many prayers for you. BTW. I did catch the mouse and actually rather quickly. He found his way downstairs to my trap in the kitchen where Cammie couldn't get to it or at least I am hoping it is the same mouse. I have not hear him in the bedroom since catching the one downstairs. Scroll down to see my post for you.

Teka, thank you for the pretty banner. Yes, she is at peace and that does give me peace. The grief comes in waves and some times are better than others. Are you hunkering down for the cold weather? I am really not ready for this and I am going to try to continue walking in the winter. I don't feel safe joining a new Y to swim just yet.

Hershey, thank you. I am too praying for a skilled technician. I bought these wicked reusable traps on Amazon and there were 10 in a package. They are really heavy duty and they have a little cup to put peanut butter. It has worked for me since I got these last winter. I have two different kinds of mice that have made their way inside and it has worked on both. Field mice and the common gray mice. Mine have not got into the ductwork. That would be a challenge. Hoping no new ones either!!!! I have no idea where mine are getting in. I have plugged up places that I thought they could enter. This is the first mouse of the season so I am hoping it will be the last. I also bought this natural repellent with a strong cinnamon odor which can be used around the house as well.

Have a great weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2020

CONGRATULATIONS TO FAITH ON AN AMAZING 60 YEARS OF MARRIAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• faith-840
    edited October 2020

Nancy, thank you so much for the beautiful anniversary banner. It’s hard to believe we’ve been married so long and yes, we were very young way back in 1960. I’m praising God for all the blessings He has given us in this long life together. Four great kids and ten wonderful grandchildren. I’m a little sad that we couldn’t celebrate as we had hoped with all our family, but I’m just glad that we are all still healthy. Hopefully we will celebrate next year and COVID will be a distant memory.

Thank you again for your good wishes.

Sending prayers for everyone here,

Love, Faith

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited October 2020

Just found out yesterday that my granddaughter delivered a little baby girl. She has moved to Tennessee so I don't expect much contact with this new great grandchild. Her other daughter, 6yr old Valentina is still being raised by my daughter, her grandmother up here in NY. Kinda a mess...prayers appreciated.

• intolight
    edited October 2020

Jean, congratulations on the new great granddaughter. It is so difficult when families are distant and not stable. I will pray for a good outcome for this situation. I remember when we prayed for Valentina. I trust she is doing well.

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2020

Jean, congratulations on a new great granddaughter. I know the circumstances are probably not what you would like but I am thankful that your daughter is raising Valentina and I pray that she is doing well. Prayers for this new baby and that her mother will take good care of her. I know it is hard when they are so far away.

Love,

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited November 2020

Thanks for the prayers ladies. Val's mother has pretty much written me off and it hurts. I can only keep praying for her. She is a very wounded soul. Jean

• faith-840
    edited November 2020

Jean, congratulations on the newest great granddaughter. Sending prayers for you and the family and hope you get to meet that new babysomeday soon. I’m so sorry you are going through this.

Sending prayers for everyone here,

Love, Faith

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2020

Jean, I know this has been very hurtful to you. The saying hurt people hurt people is really true. It doesn't wipe away the hurt but sometimes it can make one realize that is when someone hurts us it is not always about us but more about them. That gives us more motivation to forgive them and to pray for them.

Love,
    Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2020

Ade, we are concerned about you and James. Are you both okay?

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited November 2020

Teka, that's beautiful!

We dropped our ballots off this morning at the local library right after we ran by the clinic for my blood draw. Will go out later to get Granny Smith apples for my husband's birthday pies.

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited November 2020

Joanne - YES! This election is SO important! We voted in person when early voting began a couple of weeks ago. We went early & were the only ones there voting! Gorgeous fall photo!

Teka - we had a rare ice storm a week ago but all is sunny & warm again now.

Jean - I am so sorry for the hurt in your family and will pray for the Lord to intervene in ALL of the lives affected. Thankful for a new baby blessing brought into the world though.

Faith - Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. a testimony of God's faithfulness and love.

Nancy - thank you for asking. We were not ok. I am pretty sure we did have the Chinese virus, though we were not tested as the docs here don't even prescribe anything for those who are compromised, like my friend. It was a long haul but we are almost a week symptom free. Then had to make a Midland trip yesterday - 10 hours - and I am not feeling so great today. One day at a time.

Lord bless and keep you all,

Ade

• faith-840
    edited November 2020

I’m praying for healing in our nation and for an end to this Chinese virus so we might get back to some semblance of a normal life.

Nancy, I’m also praying that your CT scan tomorrow goes easily and nothing of concern is found.

Ade, I’m sorry you and James may have had that virus but pray you are both fully recovered with no lasting side effects.

Dear friends, I could use a few prayers as I’m having a tough time adjusting to this new anxiety medication and all it’s side effects. I almost think I felt better before taking it. I hope my body just has to get used to it. This is getting to be very depressing.

Faith (in the future)

• intolight
    edited November 2020

Ade, I have been praying for you and James. It is a terrible virus.

Faith, I will pray you get your anxiety meds worked out. It is no fun!

Nancy, praying for your procedure, the blood draw, and the prep.

I am in AZ. The car trip over was fine and it has been a good getaway. Had a nice picnic today in the park with lovely weather and I am glad we are leaving Saturday as snow is supposed to arrive on Sunday. I care about politics, mailed my ballot in two weeks ago and checked on it, but I have not been glued to the TV watching the results. I just check online occasionally and pray often. My DH has washed the windows after the painters messed them up (using the scaffolding that is still up four floors high--glad I wasn't there), and managed the install of my new recliners. I am exhausted, struggling a little bit with the elevation and meds side effects, but glad to be here. Praying for you all and our nation tonight.

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2020

Hi dear sisters.

It has been a rough week for me and now I am in that shock stage as we have all gone through. I had my abdomenal and pelvic CT scan last night. My oncologist called me today which is never a good sign. The areas of concern which were the adrenal gland and the liver are stable. However I have a small ovarian cyst on one side and my uterus looks suspicious. I am having a pelvic and abdomenal ultrasound on Monday and will see my gynecologist on Friday to do an exam. With a Dexa scan on Wed it looks like a fun week for me. I am just plain weary and exhausted and sad and frankly scared as well. This ultrasound looks like another cumbersome test. This will be hoping I can retain 32oz of water in the bladder before the pelvic part of the US. That might prove to be the most difficult of these tests so far. I really need your prayers.

Teka, I can't believe all the snow even though I know it is probably pretty typical for you way up north. It is beautiful. I am not ready for the white stuff yet. We are experiencing almost spring like temps which has been wonderful.

Joanne, that is a beautiful fall scene. Unfortunately I have no fall pics this year. My pretty red maples in my front and back yard have all lost their leaves now.

Carol, I hope your apple pies are delicious for your husbands birthday. Sounds yummy. How are you doing?

Ade, I had a feeling that you both were down for the count with Covid. I sure hope you are both feeling better now and won't have any long lasting effects. I have been praying for you.

Faith, I was sorry to hear your anxiety med is causing bad side effects. I was so happy to hear you were doing better in many areas. I will continue to pray for answers for you. This is an anxious time for many, many people so I know you aren't alone in this but that doesn't take away the difficulty that you are going through.

Chris, I can't see your post so I am trusting my memory. I know you are in AZ and I am praying that you are having a wonderful time with your family and I know you were going to see your new sister. I pray this is just what the doctor ordered for you. Sometimes just being with family can be like a healing balm. Stay safe and I am happy you got to take this trip.

Have a good weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• faith-840
    edited November 2020

Oh Nancy, I’m so sorry that your CT scan showed some problems. It is so scary when your MO calls, it’s usually never good news. I am definitely praying that the ultrasound on Monday is easy and doesn’t show any further problems. I can well imagine how sad and exhausted and frankly just overwhelmed with this news you are while still dealing with your mom’s death. Just remember, it’s all in God’s Hands and He will protect and take care of you.

Faith (in the future).

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2020

Thank you Faith. I really do appreciate your prayers. I did a trial run of drinking 32 ounces of water and tried holding it as long as I could. It was really, really difficult. If my scan is on time at 2 on Monday and I drink the water a little later than I am supposed to I might be able to do it but it is going to be a miracle.

I may very well have to have a hysterectomy after reading the lab results carefully. Of course my prayer is that this is not endometrial cancer. My sister and I really need to get serious about cleaning out my Mom's house so we can sell it. This would not be a good time for a surgery. Living alone is always a concern when these things crop up. I know God will make a way for me somehow.

Enjoy your weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited November 2020

Nancy, so sorry to read your news. Know you have my continued prayers. This kind of news is never welcome, and I hope it all turns out to be minor. Wish I lived closer to help you through the tests.

I am home now, a little exhausted but safe. I am thankful I managed it all fine. It is storming in San Diego but we need the rain so I won't complain.

Praying for a kind week for all of us.

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2020

Thank you Chris. I have been praying for you and I am glad you made it home safely. I hope you had a good time with your family. I can't wait to get this test over with. I did another test today to see how long I could hold a full bladder. In all of this I felt like I was getting a bladder infection. I will have to wait until I see my gynecologist on Friday to probably know what is going on. My oncologist told me to set up this apt with the gyny.

I went out with my camera yesterday as I felt like my stress level was off the charts. I got some walking in. Here is a shot from yesterday. The sun looked like a spaceship landing or taking off. There is a good series on Netflix called Away. It is all about the first astronauts going to Mars. It is quite a touching series once you get into it.

Have a good week dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2020

Dear sisters,

I had my ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis this afternoon at 2. My oncologist called me at 5:30. The tech was not able to continue with the pelvic as I was in so much pain. She went to a plan B. She thought she had good enough images but that didn't pan out too well. The results are inconclusive but there is a mass in the uterus and possibly something else in the abdomen but not exactly sure about that. My oncologist said a pelvic MRI may be next but she wanted to give me some breathing room and not push that until I see my gynecologist on Friday.

So I could definitely use your prayers. I am relatively calm right now. It seems like a long ways to Friday.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited November 2020

Oh, Nancy, I'm so sorry you didn't get a "clear pass" with this test. I pray that you will sense God's presence and peace with your "next steps", whatever they may be.

(((hugs)))

Carol

• intolight
    edited November 2020

Nancy, so sorry to read this news. Praying for God's continued presence during this time of uncertainty. Know you are loved.

• faith-840
    edited November 2020

Nancy, I am also so sorry your test wasn’t easy and complete. Adding my prayers to all the others that this turns out to be something that is easy to take care of. As Chris said, “know you are loved” and may God hold you in His loving arms and comfort you and bring you peace and healing.

Love,

Faith

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited November 2020

Dear Nancy, I am so sorry that you were in pain and the procedure was incomplete. I pray that God's peace rains down on you today and in the days to come.