Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited December 2020

Joanne, trusting God in times of stress is easier said than done. Today's message to me was "I trust God, but does He trust me?" Resonated...wow!

Here is a little peek at our sunset yesterday. I didn't take it, but a friend did. Enjoy!

• intolight
    edited December 2020

Joanne, beautiful rooms! Yes, your fireplace is picture perfect. I don't have the decorating gift, but I use the things I love. The dolls are Simpich by an artist who lived in Colorado Springs when we did. They are collections now as he retired. The picture is the back side of Pikes Peak--a gift from the Bible College when we left. The stockings were hand-knit by my mother-in-law. The animals are part of my Africa collection from our trips there.

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 705
    edited December 2020

Dear ladies, I love seeing your holiday decorations. The reindeer on the cuckoo clock gives me a chuckle.

Nerdy

Other than some lights and a nativity, we are keeping things very simple this year. Your photos are a delight.

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited December 2020

OH MY! Chris & Joanne, your pix are EXQUISITE! (I could get lost in that sunset pic you shared - and Oh the fireplace!!!) Thank you for those. You are giving Nancy a run for her money there! :o) (Just kidding Nancy!)

Well yesterday's onc visit didn't go so well. We arrived an hour early after all that travel and I was an hour and a half in the waiting room - with James having to sit out in the hall. If you remember the last visit I told the doctor about a lump I was concerned about in the breast area, he never even looked at it and called it a cyst. So I didn't bring that up again - and neither did he. I did tell him about my cough. He asked if I had acid reflux and I said yes at night when I lay down. He said that it causes a tickle, thus the cough. I said that this is in my chest, not my esophagus and also all throughout the day, and he just said, "oh". He never even LISTENED to my lungs! He sat in a corner as far back from me as possible with his mask and face shield and like last time, didn't even touch me. Does want me back in a year. I am strongly considering requesting a new doctor. Your comments?

Nancy, any word yet on your procedure? Still praying His peace for you.

I know this isn't about cancer, but I have a prayer request VERY dear to my heart. Our son here works for the U.S. Border Patrol. He has a wife and three girls. In his job he has to travel way out into the wilds (and there ARE wilds here!) alone at night with no one near if he needs help or gets rattler bitten etc. He has training as a firearms instructor and loves that. He is applying for a permanent job in it in his sector here to be a firearms instructor. IF he could get it he would be so much more safe and work day shift too. Our daughter-in-law and we would be so blessed if he was safer. Thank you, sisters!

Hugs to all,

Ade

• intolight
    edited December 2020

Ade, I will pray for your son, and living in San Diego I know first-hand how dangerous border control can be. Also, yes, I would look into a new doctor and explain you do not feel he is sensitive to your concerns and needs. I am sure that will be difficult especially considering your travel time. It is your life. Does your dr's office send a survey? I believe in them! They can really work. Do you have a PCP whom you can visit and share your concerns instead? Use your "cough" as a symptom to get it? Just a thought. The more I get into this dx the more assertive I have become. When I got home from my syncope episode, in talking with my family I realized I did not fully comprehend just what happened and therefore didn't trust what the stranger ER doctor said as I didn't relate it completely to him. All this because they do not allow a family member to go into the ER with a patient because of Covid. I was unconscious so how could I remember what happened! So I set up a phone visit with my PCP so my family could explain it all and he could explain the results better. We all felt so much better after my daughter talked with him. Just a thought.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited December 2020

Okay, I am starting to feel like Scrooge with no decorations at all. LOL I do have a lot of TP for decorating though!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris, that sunset is gorgeous. I love your decorations and the Pikes Peak picture is beautiful

Joanne, your daughter's Christmas card for you looks like a photo from Better Homes and Gardens. I love her decorations with your Christmas Village. Very pretty.

I had to stop using my fireplace 12 years ago when I got Cammie. She was such a little hellion that I could see her jumping into it and then later thinking that wasn't such a good idea. I don't have a mantle. Because the Queen of the house has her cat condo in my living room I don't have room for a tree anymore.

I am usually gone for three weeks downstate with my family at Christmas so I haven't decorated for quite some time but when I had clarinet students coming to my house all the years I was a band director I put up a tree in my music studio. I have a gazillion ornaments from all the Christmas gifts my students would give me over many years.

I will not be doing much this year and I expect I will be home for Christmas. My apt with my surgeon isn't until Dec. 16 and I highly doubt the surgery would be before Christmas but since my doctor is pushing for this to happen soon I really don't know what to expect. It is not elective surgery or emergency surgery but he said it is high priority surgery. I am doing really well and I told my sister I should have surgery more often. I have a fire lit under me and have been like the "white tornado" from the old Mr. Clean commercials getting lots done. No Joanne, I don't have enough closet space to house all of my toilet paper and I just bought two really big packages of paper towels. I refuse to pay $50 or more dollars on Amazon so I ordered from Walmart and it said pick up only and it is quite a ways out of town. Now I realize I have to go INSIDE the store which definitely freaks me out. I thought it was an outdoor pickup. I haven't been to my Walmart since the pandemic started.

Ade, I would definitely be looking into a new doctor. It is hard to imagine that you traveled for 3 hrs one way to see this doctor and he doesn't even examine you is really mind boggling especially since you had concerns. I can imagine it may be hard to find another doctor but he sounds tired or unconcerned. Either one is not good. I will pray for your son that he can get this instructor position that would be much safer.

Jean, thank you your prayers and your post. I hope you are doing well.

I am having full out war with mice in my second story. I finally got my trap set again and hoping to get rid of this other one which is driving Cammie and me crazy.

Enjoy your weekend. It feels like a weekend to me today.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

Here is what my Christmas tree looks like. LOL

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 705
    edited December 2020

Ade, a friend did request a new doctor after experiencing a similar situation. She went to see her doctor for knee pain. The doctor sat on a plastic chair in the corner for the entire time in full PPE (mask, face shield, gown and gloves). Never once did the doctor do an examination. My friend insisted on getting a referral to another doctor who did a thorough exam and evaluation. Based on his findings, my friend may be having a knee replacement in 2021.

Dear ladies, I have a prayer request. My 92-year-old mother has tested positive for COVID-19. Eleven other residents in her assisted living facility have tested positive along with one staff member. My mother is currently asymptomatic and in isolation. I would greatly appreciate your prayers for my mother and the other people affected by this outbreak. Thank you so very much.

• intolight
    edited December 2020

Hershey, I will pray for your mother. What Covid is doing to everyone is horrid. I pray the world wakes up to their need for a Savior before it is too late.

Nancy, I am already leaving "hints" to my family that doing all the "stuff" for Christmas is getting a bit harder for me and to not expect much next year. They are already saying they don't need it.

Thought I would send you a little smile this morning. My middle grandson had a 4th birthday yesterday with a dinosaur theme. Of course I crocheted him one (and two more for Christmas). Here is the picture my son sent me last night. It is worth all the work!

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

Hershey, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. I can certainly appreciate your concern over this. I know that was a big concern we had for my Mother. The fact that she has is not showing any symptoms is a blessing. I will pray that she will stay in that state and come out of this hopefully protected until she can get the vaccine.

Chris, good for you that you are leaving hints. That is smart. I hope that carries over to all the other things you normally do for your family. Your grandson is precious. His delight at all of your hard work I am sure warmed your heart and put a big smile on your face. Well done!!!!

Have a good weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited December 2020

Hershey, I'm praying for your mother. I just heard that Boston is going to start adding Covid patients to their nursing homes! Did they not learn from New York's disaster? Anyway may the Lord protect ALL nursing home patients and staff wherever they are and regardless of horrible political decisions. Thank you for your suggestion about the doctor (pathetic of them in my opinion).

Chris that photo is priceless, and yes, will bring a smile to anyone! You are blessed with a talent that blesses others and I know your heart is warmed by that response. Our grandaughter here (Addison) is into dinosaurs too. I found a pillow pal that looks like a big round stuffed animal (dino) but zipped inside is a kind of furry hooded jacket that's a dinosaur. Fits 5-11. It isn't winter here very long but she can use it as a stuffed animal in warm weather. Hope she loves it.

Nancy I LOVE your "Christmas tree"! SO funny! Shall we call you Charlie Brown? I hope all of your mice will move out soon. Our hardware store sells something that when mice eat it they dehydrate (no stinky dead mice in your walls!) and they move out. Our friend here uses it and says it is great. I don't think it is harmful to pets either (but I don't know the name of it).

Much to do today. Blessings on your day!

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

I found this that I posted several years ago. I apologize for the awful format and the fact I could not edit this to add the last sentence. I may have to post a second post to fit the last part in. I have tried to reproduce this and it is just not working. Sorry. Don't worry about the picture. The words are the important part. image alt="" style="">

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

Sorry about the above post. It did not post correctly. I will type it out again someday but don't have time now.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

Invite Jesus in to ALL of these things and then EXPECT a miracle. Have the FAITH to believe HE IS ABLE.

I don't give up easily. LOL

• ade
    edited December 2020

BEAUTIFUL Nancy! Thank you!

Ade

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited December 2020

I have really enjoyed all your lovely pictures and I’m praying for all your needs. I’ve been a little absent because I’m still trying to finish the virtual choir video for my church choir. I’m about ready to give up, it’s so much harder than I ever imagined. Trying to sing to only a single instrument accompaniment while looking into the camera and not forgetting the words and then coming in at the right measure is more than I think I can do. I actually put on makeup and a red sweater today, thinking I could finish it but I kept making stupid mistakes. I’m going to give it one more try tomorrow and then quit. So while this is not earth shattering, a few prayers would be most welcome.

My anxiety is also giving me lots of problems too. Nancy, I’m going to look for the valerian you talked about.

Have a good night everyone,

Love and prayers, Faith

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

Thank you Ade and Joanne.

Faith, I sure wish there would have been some way I could help you remotely in your attempt to record your part for this virtual choir. I do hope that you were able to do it. If it wasn't for this pandemic I would have offered to go to your house and help you but I did not want to introduce any unknown germs into your home. I know I could have helped you with this and it is very frustrating in these times. I do hope you have not given up on it yet.

The Valerian Root can be purchased at a GNC store. I have bought some online as well. I am currently using a product called Night Time by Andrew Lessman which can be bought from HSN. com which has Valerian Root in it. That is the product I am using for insomnia and it has several other herbs and melatonin in it. I also bought just the Valerian Root 500 mg but it was a little too strong for me. I think I bought that from IHerb.com. I do continue to pray for you.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

I heard on my Christian radio station when the end of the year comes they come out with lists of the best of this or that. They said our famous Isaiah 41:10 was the most go to scripture for 2020.

This verse below is one of my favorites as well.

Proverbs 3:6King James Version

6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

• ade
    edited December 2020

YES, Nancy! That one is one of our best "go to" verses. So thankful we have God's Word, His precious promises to cling to whenever we need them. I am a firm believer that we all need to MEMORIZE as much Word as we possibly can now in view of the political road ahead, as our Bible most likely will be banned as "hate speech".

Faith, I pray the Lord will miraculously help you over this video mountain. I can imagine how daunting it would be for me. I was asked to do a flute medley for our little chapel group on Christmas Eve. Ordinarily it wouldn't be so scary but there will be lots of visitors too. I chose WHAT CHILD IS THIS, ONE SMALL CHILD, & O COME, O COME EMMANUEL. I can play it fine here - and have played in worship teams all of my born again life - but this is a total solo in front of strangers so I will shake like a leaf unless the Lord grants me His peace. Prayers for that are appreciated too! We would love to see/hear your video if it is possible to share a link here when it is completed. You can do all things through Christ Who strengthens you!

Son's family will be here for supper & Christmas gathering in 3 1/2 hours - much to do!

Love you all,

Ade

Oh yes, - the "calmers" I have used successfully are HTP-5 or L-Theanine plus Melatonin for sleep. (From Puritans Pride). They help with the anxiety I have especially trying to get to sleep.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

Ade, I will pray for your flute solo that it will be beautiful and that you can play to the Lord as your most important audience. I was a professional clarinetist in my career and I would still get nervous so I can appreciate that feeling very well. I could actually played better in front of strangers and people I knew made me more nervous. Go figure. Most of those people I knew would also be musicians. My neck surgery in 2001 ended my playing career but I could still play when I was teaching so it worked out.

Have fun with your family celebrating an early Christmas supper. I am sure it will be delicious.

Faith, I echo Ade's mentioning we would love to hear and see the video if possible. The Night Time product I mentioned also has 5HTP in it plus I also take a stand alone in that same product but I have to buy that from my alternative doctor.

You are all going to scratch your head at this but it is true. When I retired in 2011 from my band directing position teaching elementary and junior high students my last concert was a shared elementary and junior high festival. At the concert my current and former students honored me by presenting me with this big cardboard box decorated and it had a slot on top. The students put notes in this decorative box and they did this without me knowing about it. They also presented me with a new baton as I had broken mine during a rehearsal and it was a time of much laughter when that happened. That box sat in my house for almost ten years and I could not bring myself to read all of those notes. I started and then just couldn't finish. I am sure a psychologist could have a field day with that. Well...........drum roll...................I finally today went through all of the letters. I laughed out loud at quite a few of them. The students brought up some fun things we did and some things I was used to saying and some of that I had forgotten. I do still have many, many dreams about teaching and obviously it was a huge part of my life that will always be with me. My students are all graduated from high school now and that makes me a bit sad. I have some that went on to be band directors as well. I had some letters from high school students and a parent and in these cases it was a family that had several students go through my program. I guess it is time to officially close that chapter of my life and will live it only in my dreams.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited December 2020

Nancy I know you were a top notch band director because you had a passion for the students and shared the love of music with them. I started band in the fourth grade and graduated high school with the same band director. He had the bluest eyes and as a grade school student I had quite the crush on him. In high school he led concert band and marching band. He had a little temper though and his broken batons were NOT by accident! (You didn't want to make him angry!) Band was the high part of my week, as was choir and art, and I married a drummer so we both love music to this day and our desire is to glorify God with it as we can. We jokingly call ourselves the fife and drum corps. You must have a real nostalgic feeling having completed the letters. What a cool idea. You have all the memories to look back upon and thank God for all of the good ones. Maybe we will have chairs together in the Heavenly Band someday.

Blessings,

Ade

Thank you for praying for my solo!

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

Dear sisters,

If you have a moment could you pray for Jerry my cousin's husband. He has lost a bunch of blood from internal bleeding which they were having trouble finding the source. He has had several blood transfusions and I hear he is having surgery tonight. It was touch and go with him and I would appreciate your prayers for him to come through this. I don't know if they found the source as I am only getting screenshots of a FB post my sister sent me or if this is exploratory surgery.

• faith-840
    edited December 2020

Nancy, I will certainly pray for your cousin's husband that the Lord May guide the doctors to find the source of his bleeding and repair it so he may heal. Thank you for your prayers for my video adventure. I know you would be a great help but unfortunately, we can't do that now. It must have been really hard for you to give up your band director position. I'm sure you were very good. I love the story of your box of letters. I can just see how that must have been a big wonderful surprise. It's wonderful that you have those letters to save and enjoy even if they bring a few tears. My youngest grandson has played trumpet and French horn through Jr. high and then 4 years in high school, so we've been to many of those combined concerts you mentioned. It's wonderful to see how the students progress. He was in District 204, so you probably didn't have him as a student. We marvel at how much talent these students have. He has graduated and is now studying engineering at Un.of Il in Chicago.

Well, I certainly got off on a tangent. Ade, I can understand your nervousness about playing the Christmas solo. It's hard to do when you are out there alone and not in a group. I'm sure with God's help you will do fine. I have only done a few short vocal solos and was very nervous every time. I thought I would have a heart attack the first time, my heart was beating so hard. I will be praying that all goes well. Enjoy your Christmas dinner with your son's family. I'm still not sure how we will be celebrating with family or without family this year. Everything is in Gods hands.

I still haven't finished my choir video yet and am not sure if I'll be able to finish it in time to submit. I was going to do it again tonight but felt sick to my stomach so again it didn't get done. Even if I don't participate, I'll try to find a link for everyone to watch because my choir is really very good and I'd be proud to let you hear them sing.

Thank you for sharing those beautiful psalms, yes Ade, we need to memorize more of the wisdom of the Bible. Nancy, you are in my prayers for your doctor visit this week. Have a good night dear friends,

Love,

Faith

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

Dear sisters,

Thank you for those who prayed for my cousins husband. He had surgery and the doctor was able to find the source of the blood loss. I believe he had another surgery after that and he is improving. The family thanks everyone for praying.

Faith, I am praying that you will get you video made. We are all pulling for you!!

Ade, I hope your Christmas supper was a great time of family celebration and good food.

Joanne, thank you for that banner. I need that now.

Love,

Nancy

• ab45
    ab45 Member Posts: 153
    edited December 2020

I heard the most wonderful saying today from a Pastor, I would love to share with you. I hope this brings you a little peace

"God is the author of your life, trust him in your next chapter!"

Much easier said than done sometimes

Prayers

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

Welcome AB45, Thank you for sharing that. So true and so good. Please feel free to share YOUR story with us.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2020

I saw my surgeon for the first time in a consult today. I will make this short and to the point. He thinks it may be sarcoma which is a cancer in the muscles of the uterus wall or it could be nothing. If it is cancer I don't think the prognosis is very good from what I have read but I have gone down this path before and read wrong things or out of date things. I won't know my surgery date but I am hoping they let me know tomorrow. He wants it soon. This type of cancer if that is what it is is aggressive from what I have read.

So I would really covet your prayers during this time before knowing what I am facing. I may chose to stay in the hospital when he said before Covid that is what we did. He said I could not go home unless someone was staying the night with me. Actually I would prefer staying over night even with Covid at this hospital. So we'll see. My niece has offered to come from Iowa if she could get off work and depending when it is. My cousin who is a retired nurse downstate has offered if I can't find anyone. I have friends who I know want to help. I made need them later if chemo is in the picture.

I heard today that some place in TX and AZ have had more snow that we have here this year. We had a few spitting flakes and that was it. My snow guy has found another job so I am not shedding any tears for sure. I didn't get anyone because I thought I could do it. Of course that was before I knew I had to have surgery.

Take care.

Love,

Nancy

• faith-840
    edited December 2020

Nancy, I'm sure you know we are all praying that this turns out to be nothing of concern.

Love and prayers,

Faith.