Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited February 2022

Ok, here’s my bird contribution. I can rattle off bird names alphabetically from A to J. Why? Because I live on Falcon Street.

Here’s my list: Albatross, Brant, Curlew, Dove, Eagle, Falcon, Goldfinch, Hawk, Ibis. Jackdaw.

I don’t know why it stops at “J”. There’s also a series of tree street starting with Ash. I think they stop with Nutmeg.

😁

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited February 2022

Carol, LOL. I never heard of some of them. So I will have to look those up. See what one might learn without even trying!!!

• sunshine99
    edited February 2022

Nancy, I know, right? I never knew some of those were bird names, either.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited February 2022

Those are fun street names!!

Nancy, too funny about that squirrel! We had squirrels trying to get into the feeder for a few months but now they seem content to eat ground leftovers. The leftovers are plentiful. The woodpeckers and chickadees appear intent to carefully select the best of seeds, tossing many aside on their quest.

My appointment was ok. She didn't say much about the surgery other than everything was clear, so she must have read the report. I didn't push her opinion on it since she brought it up and then moved on. Zoladex was ok. Sort of hurt but it was more weird than painful. I start exemestane in a month. And I'm to get Zometa infusions every 6 months starting next month when I get my next Zoladex.

• sunshine99
    edited February 2022

gb, good to hear from you. Have you had Zometa before? I can offer you a few tips if you'd like. I get it monthly and although the first one or two were a little rough, they're now sort of a non-event.

I'm glad your surgical report was "clear" and that the Zoladex was at least "OK."

• gb2115
    edited February 2022

Sunshine, I have not had Zometa. Any tips would be appreciated! I'm nervous of course.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited February 2022

gb, I get Zometa every three months. It is not a tough drug. It is an IV drip that typically takes 15 minutes but they usually run some saline first. If they will do it ask for a longer time to drip as it helps lessen the minor aches you sometimes have the next day. Also take some Claritan the day before and the day of the infusion if you can. This helps too. Most of the time the next day I never notice I had it done.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2022

Chris, what time is your surgery? I am guessing you haven't had it yet or you would say.

GB, I can't weigh in on your meds and infusions as I have not had experience with any of those.

My squirrel is probably singing a sad song now. I let him/her have a little more time pigging out on my bird food before sludging through the snow to put the bird feeder back up. I poured some on the ground for him. We'll see if I am the one singing a sad song if he knocks it down again.

Chris, I have been praying for all to go well today.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited February 2022

Good morning. I can't see much through this bubble wrap glasses but the aurgery went well. Should know more this afternoon. I also got cleared to fly without extra oxygen so yank you all for your prayers.. I will phone talk with my oncologist.in Friday to get her recommendations on my next steps for treatment as my progression is more than we had hoped. So this is good news and bad news. We fly to Colorado Saturday and I will seek a new oncology team immediately. I appreciate prayers nd trust Go's will lead me to the best

. Thank you all for sticking with me through this. May God shower your day with many blessings.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2022

Chris, I am glad the surgery went well. I hope you will be able to see a big difference in your vision. I will definitely be praying for you to find the best oncology team for you. I have been praying for your next treatment and have for some time. This has been a long and arduous journey for you and I pray that once you get to CO and get settled in that things will not be so stressful. I am glad you are cleared to fly without extra oxygen. When you think of how crazy your life has been starting the the tenting and all that was involved with that it has been one challenge after another. You need a break from all of this and I pray that will come soon.

Love

Nancy

• intolight
    edited February 2022

I am praising God. The pulmonologist took me off all Prednisone (steroids) today and told me the diabetes should resolve since my numbers stayed low though it is no guarantee. She also cleared me from all Oxygen and altitude restrictions. I am free to fly to Colorado on Saturday. My Cataract surgery has gone well and I can see better already.

Now I can concentrate on my next cancer treatment. I will talk with my CA oncologist tomorrow to get her recommendations. I spoke with my Medicare agent this morning and we are ready to find a new oncology team and get started. Now to fly to CO and get a hug from my daughter and granddaughter. It has been a long five weeks. Thank you for your prayers. At times I felt battered and exhausted, but God is teaching me to trust. He knew I needed this time to heal my lungs learn to lean on Him.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2022

Chris, I am so happy to see your post tonight. I have been praying that all of the pieces of the puzzle would fall into place and that is happening now. You have been through a great trial of trust but God is seeing you through and will continue to see you through all of your challenges. I know you will be so happy to get hugs from your daughter and granddaughter. You will be in CO for Valentine's Day and I bet it will be a very special and memorable one.

Keep us posted.

Love

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2022

Hi dear sisters,

Here is an email I got from Ade. She still reads our posts and she suggested some videos of birds by Tim Janis who is also a photographer and videographer after reading our posts on our backyard birds and in Chris's case her balcony birds and ocean birds which now will be quite different in CO.

Ade, it was great to hear from you and we miss you on our little community. Thank you for sharing with us.

I know this was Chris's moving day to CO so we are all praying that your flight has gone well and that maybe you are now settling in to your new home. I know you will be so glad to see your daughter and granddaughter.

Hi Nancy,

How are you feeling after your detox and was it worth it? James' twin brother and his wife do that periodically so they must think it is beneficial.

Upon seeing all the discussion on birds on the blog I wanted to share this with you, and feel free to share with the ladies. Tim Janis, whom I think is a believer, has WONDERFUL photography and videography featuring birds and flowers and scenes of nature set to music (another love we share). James and I put these on as we do our morning devotional and Bible readings. I think you would love them too. The one we watched this morning was filled with birds so I share the link with you. Enjoy! (He has MANY on You Tube!)

Praying for you and all of the ladies with love,

Ade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDlwgS4pFNI

Peaceful Instrumental Music, Relaxing Nature music 'Song Birds of Morning" By Tim Janis

Peaceful Instrumental Music, Relaxing Nature music 'Song Birds of Morning\" By Tim Janis. My instrumental music can help you find deep relaxation, relieve anxiety, and find peace. My music incorporates relaxing sounds of nature and features flute music, piano music, harp music, \u0026 violin music. This is music from my new CD \"Celtic Heart ...

www.youtube.com

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2022

Happy Super Bowl Sunday and ........................

• gb2115
    edited February 2022

That is a lovely video!

My husband bought a bluebird feeder this weekend, so hopefully he'll get that installed this week. Our blues are about to be very happy. Need to fill up the main feeder as well. It's been empty for a few days and the chickadees keep coming to check it out. They peer into each section and even underneath to check for seed.

It was warm on Saturday before the cold front came through, so I was able to go for a "bird walk" in the neighborhood. With the help of the Merlin app, I was able to ID by sound (but not sight because I couldn't find them), a yellow-bellied sapsucker, a white breasted nuthatch, several tufties, and two extremely noisy Carolina wrens calling to each other. The app also picked up a house finch near my yard, but it was hard for me to hear it through the exuberant tufty voices. I think we have a lot of tufted titmice in our yard, or a few that stick around because that's mostly what I hear. I haven't been able to pick up the bluebird songs yet, but my husband claims to hear them frequently.

Nervous about this week---dentist appointment on Wednesday. I had to cancel my regular cleaning in the fall because of low white counts. It got rescheduled to January, then it was cancelled because of surgery. I'm deeply hoping that I don't need any dental work done. I want to ask my dentist about the Zometa thing too...

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2022

GB, I bet you will love your Bluebird feeders. The meal worms would creep me out a bit but I guess it is no different than a robin eating worms in the ground in the summer. I'm glad you have found a hobby that I bet will turn into a lifetime hobby you can have fun with for decades. Hope all goes well at your dentist apt.

Teka is a smart cat. Keeping warm in the sun. She is adorable. Or is it he? I can't remember. Cammie had to go to the vet a few days ago to check on her chronic pancreatitis. She has to be sedated as otherwise she turns into a wild animal when she is terrified and feels threatened. I was shocked when the vet said she had lost almost a whole pound in a year. She wanted to do a thyroid panel. I cannot give Cammie any pills........just not possible. The vet mentioned meds to rub in her ear. That is not easy either. I was so thankful when I got the call that her bloodwork was fine as far as the thyroid. Her pancreas panel will take two weeks to come back. I thought she was doing well so we'll see.

I am on my last week of the Detox and we had our last zoom meeting tonight. Then next week I start reintroducing one food at a time and wait for 2-3 days and record any symptoms. Then onto the next food and so for. It will take many weeks to finally get a good picture of what I can or can't eat.

I hope everyone had a good Valentine's Day.

Have a good night

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited February 2022

Nancy, I'm impressed. I don't know if I could or would want to stick with the program as you have.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2022

I just received this email today from the Forest Preserve District that I have competed in their photography contests for several years so I am on their mailing list. GB and others might be interested in this. I know it is last minute notice to take part in the Webinar tomorrow but anyone can do this.

EYES TO THE SKIES FOR THE ANNUAL GREAT BACKYARD BIRD COUNT

2/11/2022

(Photo by Anthony Schalk)

It's time once again to count the cardinals and Canada geese — and all the other birds — you see in the name of citizen science. The annual Great Backyard Bird Count is back, and bird lovers all over the world are invited to set aside some time to record bird observations over the event's four-day span from Friday, February 18, to Monday, February 21.

The Great Backyard Bird Count is a joint effort of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, National Audubon Society and Birds Canada. The first year for the citizen science project was 1998, and it expanded to a global initiative in 2013 when organizers began entering submitted data through eBird, one of the world's largest citizen-science biodiversity initiatives. Last year, people from 190 countries participated, the National Audubon Society reports.

Participants need not be birding experts to participate, although familiarity with common birds is helpful. If you like contributing to citizen science projects like this, you're in luck, because it's the first of several held each year. Others include Global Big Day, which is held every year in May, and the Christmas Bird Count, held over a two-week period every year in December and January.

To participate in the Great Backyard Bird Count, you don't have to limit yourself to your own backyard, although you certainly can go no further than your kitchen window. Any place where you can spend at least 15 minutes over one of the four days is fair game, including backyards, preserves, parks and other natural areas.

To help get participants ready for the count, organizers are holding a free webinar from 1 to 2 p.m. Wednesday, February 16. Experts will give refreshers on bird identification and also provide counting tips.

HOW TO PARTICIPATE

Anyone can take part in the Great Backyard Bird Count, from anywhere in the world, as long as they have at least 15 minutes to count birds over the four-day data collection period. To get started, visit the Great Backyard Bird Count website and create an account. If you've participated in the past, there's no need to create a new account. You're already registered and can use your existing account to participate.

During the collection period, spend at least 15 minutes on one of the four days counting birds, taking note of the number of individual birds of each species you see during your counting time. You can spend as much time as you want counting over the four-day period, but you should submit a different checklist for each day and each location or for the same location if you count for more than one time period each day.

The data you record can be submitted in one of several ways. New participants can use the Merlin Bird ID app. Previous participants can use the eBird app or website. The Great Backyard Bird Count website includes tutorials on how to upload data with each of the available apps and websites on its How to Participate page.

WHY IT MATTERS

Bird populations are always in flux, which makes them difficult to study. The data collected through the bird count and other citizen science birding events helps document bird movement and distribution, which is why it is so useful to scientists, the Cornell Lab reports.

RELATED: BIRDS ON THE BRINK DUE TO CLIMATE CHANGE

Information gathered through the bird count and other citizen-scientist programs, such as eBird and Project FeederWatch, creates a real-time picture of bird populations. Scientists can use the data to help understand "big-picture" topics, such as how weather and climate change affect birds, the timing of migrations among different species, bird diversity in different types of habitats, and how diseases are affecting birds in different regions.

The information collected through the Great Backyard Bird Count becomes more useful to scientists the longer it is collected, because it helps identify trends and changes over time, according to the Cornell Lab.

2021 RESULTS

The 2021 Great Backyard Bird Count was held against the backdrop of the global COVID pandemic, but despite this it was a record-setting event. More than 300,000 people from more than 190 countries submitted 379,726 checklists, according to the 2021 Great Backyard Bird Count Summary.

All told, 6,436 bird species were identified in the count. Colombia was the country with the most recorded species, at 1,167. The country with the second most species was India, with 960. More than 600 species were documented in Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica, Ecuador and Mexico, and more than 500 species were documented in Australia, Thailand and the United States.

The country with the most checklists submitted was the United States, with more than 250,000 checklists from all 50 states. Other top contributing countries were Canada, with more than 43,000 checklists, and India, with more than 33,000.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2022

Teka, I remember you telling me what the name Teka meant. YIKES So is Teka a he or a she. Cammie is content with being an indoor cat as well. This morning a squirrel came up to the patio door and Cammie flew over to it. I love when that happens. In the summer the chipmunks will be running all over my patio and I have two patio doors so Cammie runs from one to the other as if she is on the hunt for the chipmunks.

Carol, I had NO idea exactly what was involved even after watching the zoom meeting before it started. I had initially committed to the 10 day and thinking that is going to be tough. LOL On the second day of my ten days after reading through the info I knew ten days wasn't going to achieve the purpose of it so I transitioned into the five weeks. I don't think I realized how loooooooong the whole thing would take to find out your food sensitivities but I am in over my head now and almost done with the detox part and I am committed at this point. Ten years ago I did a similar program but it was all based on a blood test which tested many foods. I reacted to 100 of them so I have had issues. That was a four day rotation diet which I found extremely difficult so even though this has not been a piece of cake it hasn't been as difficult as that. I lost 20-25 lbs back then and so far on this I have only lost 6 1/2 lbs. I will continue to drink the smoothies probably for breakfast with their protein powder and detox pills which is safe to do long term. Inflammation is the root of all diseases. I think has been generally agreed upon. Getting rid of those foods which can cause allergies or sensitivities is a big part of this program. Healing the gut is a big part as well. So with that said I am motivated. I do wish I could have seen more weight loss for the effort put in but I do plan on dropping more pounds as I go along. Even though I eat fairly healthy I will think twice about running out to get carry out when I am tired. It will not be worth all these weeks of effort!!!!

I hope your blog is going well. Let me know when the second post comes out.

It is bright and sunny today and I bit warmer than it has been. I have cabin fever so I have to get out even if it is driving just to get outside of the house.

Have a great day today everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    edited February 2022

I love the idea of this---I can't do the webinar but I think I can manage the bird count!

• gb2115
    edited February 2022

My dentist appointment got rescheduled for next week. They tried to tell me the next available is May, but I might have thrown a bit of a fit on the phone. They suddenly came up with a cancellation. With starting Zometa I can't wait until May....I would not feel comfortable starting it without dental clearance.

:-( One of my teeth started hurting a bit yesterday. It could be from grinding/clenching, or I have a giant cavity. I don't know. My fillings have always been sensitive to biting pressure, so I don't know if it's new, or I just noticed it because I'm thinking about. At least I have another week to keep an eye on it and see if it's actually a problem.

• sunshine99
    edited February 2022

Nancy, the ornithology photography sounds so cool! I'm not a birder, nor a photographer, but I do enjoy looking at other people's work.

gb, I have a neighbor who is really into birding and has taken trips (pre-COVID) to count birds. We have mockingbirds in our neighborhood. I was sitting on my porch one morning with a neighbor and she commented on how many different birds were chirping and singing. It was actually just the ONE mockingbird. I didn't tell her that.

I have a friend with food issues who can basically eat about three things (OK, maybe more than that) without reacting. I hope you can eventually add back some things that you actually like.

Thank you for checking on my blog. I did publish my second post, which is "Roller Coasters and Thrill Rides" on February 6. My sister told my dad about it and told him that I was a really good writer (blush). I gave him the link to it, but I don't know if he's looked at it. He may never look at it – it's just too hard on him emotionally. I'll let my sister ask him if he's read it. I think he's afraid it will be gloom and doom, although the name suggests that it's anything but that. He knows that I'm not a gloom and doom type of person, and I think he knows that that's by the grace of God.

Wishing everyone a blessed day.

Carol

• gb2115
    edited February 2022

Hi Carol---I never thought about mockingbirds...I guess if you have mockingbirds and you hear bird song, you can't know for sure if it's the bird you think it is unless you spot it singing?! The only bird I've visually caught in the act of singing was a Carolina wren. It was up in a dogwood tree singing it's heart out.

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
    edited February 2022

Hi ladies,

I wanted to share with you that one time when I was logging into BCO my eye caught a post by a lady who was diagnosed with DCIS for the second time and is very scared and it was so sad to read her posts because I don't think she knows the Lord and there is little hope out there. But I'm sure there are many in that situation. I'm enjoying the pictures and posts of birds, personally I've had a great fear of birds since I was a child and so it is nice to see them safely on the computer screen and read about the variety and the songs they sing. Praying for your detox program Nancy, and so admire your determination to complete and extend the program. Also, to share a band director story with you, I have a severe hearing loss since birth, but always wanted to play in the band, so when I was in junior high school a band director determined that I could play the drums and he let me play the cymbals and bass drum during school concerts, so by watching him carefully, since I couldn't hear where they were in the song, he would point to me directly and I would put together the cymbals or the hit the bass drum, whichever I was doing, and I was so happy :) Praying that you are safely in CO Chris and all is working out with a new team of doctors and you have a peace that passes all understanding and the joy of being near family. Also, GB that your dental appointment goes well and all medications are tolerated well. And Carol, I'm impressed with your blog and it is going to be a real encouragement to many. I am so glad I found this site and have each of your names in my prayer journal.

Have a blessed day and stay warm!

Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2022

Hi ladies,

I logged on last night to post and my kitchen timer went off. Carol I was reading your blog and burnt my rice on the stove!!!!!! So I never did get to post. The rice was okay but the burnt pan was a bear to clean. LOL

Carol, your blog was really good. Even though I have communicated on a regular basis for the last eight years with stage 4 breast cancer ladies and sometimes their husbands who post for them on BCO there were some things that shed a different light on things for me and for you in particular. I loved reading the comments of people in your actual life (as opposed to your cyber friends) who you have inspired. You are a good writer and I am happy that this idea has come to fruition for you. I have been praying regularly that this would be a cathartic experience for you and a mutually beneficial thing for you and the reader. You are an inspiration to all of us here even though we all aren't stage 4. We do all have scanxiety no matter what stage we are in. For those of us who have had a couple of scares that never seems to go away. So I can only imagine that the level of your anxiety is way off the charts compared to mine. Blessings on your future blog posts. I loved hearing your mockingbird story.

GB. you will laugh at this. My cat quite often lays on my foot rest of my recliner as I am in it. She hates ANY sound coming from either my cell phone, home phone or my laptop. The TV is fine. Go figure. Anyway I subscribe to Birds and Blooms magazine and they are always sending emails with neat articles. They had a big article on Carolina Wrens which I don't know if we have here. There was a video clip of their songs. Cammie didn't like that at all when I listened to it but I could tell she was a bit confused looking outside even though I think it was dark then. LOL She usually tries to bite my wrist to make it STOP. She just left in a huff. She is all about drama!!

Wheatfields, I was going to reach out to you and I was glad to see your post. I continue to pray for you regularly. I hope you are doing well. Yes, there are many women out there that have absolutely no hope at all because they are either people who have not met the Lord or straight out Atheists. I would bet my life that many of them check out this forum just out of curiosity. You never know what might happen in their hearts as they stay behind the scenes. I love hearing your band story. Kudos to that band director who touched you in a powerful way. That is awesome. i am so glad you got to be a part of the band. I had a little boy who was autistic and he had a teacher's aide who would go with him everywhere. He was not able to learn an instrument but he really wanted to play in the band. So I did the same type of thing. I had him play in the percussion section and he just beamed. It was a great learning experience for all of us and I will never forget his big smile when he played. Thank you for your prayers.

My detox has been going well. I could actually do this part of it long term just eating one meal at night and drinking power packed smoothies with veggies, fruit, almond butter, almond milk with their vitamin fortified protein powder. I have lost 7lbs as of today and I plan to keep this going as I start adding one food at a time in starting on Monday. I have been walking 2.5 miles in my house (yeah I know, sounds crazy) for weeks as well. I really do have days of feeling great which is such a blessing. That was the whole reason for me doing this. I am sleeping so much better with less sleep. Go figure that one.

Well I have to scoot. I have a doctor's apt today and have to get ready.

Take care. Chris I will be anxious to hear how you are doing once you get settled in.

Faith, I pray for you always and am concerned how you are doing.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited February 2022

Wheatfields, what a wonderful story about your band leader!

Nancy, I'm so sorry that you burnt your rice. Burnt rice is indeed a pain to clean! I appreciate your support and your prayers.

Your story about Cammie and the bird sounds. Cats can be really good at leaving in a huff! They crack me up.

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2022

His is one of my prized photos. Not because it is a great photo but it was a very rare occurrence for me in my backyard. This is a Rose Breasted Grossbeak and it was migrating through I believe in May quite a few years ago. I went down to stay with my Mom and low and behold I saw one in her backyard too the same month. There is a Mourning Dove peeking in the frame as well.

I actually haven't taken many pics of my backyard birds after getting into photography. I guess I got so picky with myself I wanted a better background etc. and shooting through glass is not ideal. This was taken before I really became passionate about photography.

I don't know a lot about this bird but I imagine the warmer climates is where it hangs out.

Have a nice night.

Love

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2022

Teka, I can just hear you saying "now try one with your head lowered to the left" LOL I actually think he was flirting with your cat statue!! I guess I was wrong. (with the spelling also) They go north and not south for the warm months. Interesting. I did finally look them up. They are so beautiful. Lucky you to probably see them definitely more than I do.

We got another big snow for us. I was coming home from my doctor apt this afternoon. When I was driving there the snow hadn't started yet. By the time I got to my car to go home it was coming down pretty hard. I got to my turn into my neighborhood and my car wouldn't stop so I guess the guy behind me probably wondered why isn't she turning......that's because I was skidding right through. I knew then I better go straight home as it was getting treacherous fast.

Thanks for sharing your grosbeak pic too.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited February 2022

Nancy, I am glad you are safe from your treacherous snow slide. Stay safe!

It snowed a little here but not enough to be dangerous, just very cold. This San Diego girl needs thicker blood!

I miss seeing the birds and have been too busy househunting to even notice them. I feel good just making it through another day. I know my cancer is back as my back pain is increasing from my spinal tumors. My new insurance kicks in March 1st and then I can start making appointments. I appreciate your prayers I can be seen quickly.

• gb2115
    edited February 2022

Nancy, your kitty wanted that bird!!! Back when we had cats we had one of those bird DVDs for cats. One of the cats would repeatedly look behind the tv trying to find the birds!!

As I sit here (6:30 am) drinking my coffee I can hear the wrens talking back and forth. They do this every morning. Discussing the sunrise? Exclaiming "I'm a BIRD!!!". What jubilation I hear outside. Little do they know the feeder is getting filled today in preparation for the backyard bird count!