Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 704
    edited July 2022

Chris, congratulations on the newest addition to your family! I remember all too well the house training of puppies. I don't think I'm up for that anymore. When you have a chance, please post a photo. I'd love to see the little pup.

GB, I'm glad the MRI went well. A skilled technician can make all the difference, and I hope you receive favorable results soon.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited July 2022

GB, I'm glad everything went well for your MRI from the IV to tolerating the machine. That is awesome how God has answered prayers. Praying for a good result.

Wheatfields, how is your stomach doing?

Carol how are you doing? I have been having some insomnia issues resurface and I know how disrupting that can be to your day. Are you still having those issues too?

Chris, I'm glad to hear your back pain is improving. I would also love to see a picture of this new addition to the family. I can imagine that this would contribute to some fatigue! I am continuing to pray for that. I have been walking at night and I have been seeing so many dog owners on my route. This poor guy I have seen two nights in a row with a dog that just didn't want to move. This poor dog only has three legs and it pains me to see it walk but apparently it was not having anymore walking when I saw them and had laid down in the grass on someone's lawn. I hope both dog and owner made it home safely.

I was pretty disturbed yesterday after my experience at the DMV. My license was expiring next week and I made an apt at the DMV understanding that seniors get priority in moving along the line. I was waiting to get over Covid and to get a hair cut before making the apt. As soon as I made it our Sec. of State gave an extension until Dec. because of the backlog with Covid, I decided to go ahead. However I wanted to get a Real ID and found out just a couple of days ago that my birth certificate from the hospital is NOT acceptable for this Real ID. So that means another trip to the DMV when I get my certified copy which I have applied for. When I got there, there already was a big group of people waiting outside. A worker was putting us in groups and when she told me there is about a 2hr wait I said I have an apt. Apparently that meant nothing. They were turning people walk ins away so I was glad to have it. I did get moved along much faster that I was expecting but the kicker was when I got to the eye test. I had not given it a second thought. Usually it is a piece of cake for me. Four years ago no problem. I had to take off my glasses and when she said read line 5 I couldn't make out the first letter so starting in a hole already. I was stunned. She told me to put my glasses on and read it and I had no issues. She said you will have restrictions on your driving and you will have to have glasses or contacts to drive. I was very disturbed by this. I don't see my eye doctor until the later part of August. I was diagnosed with macular degeneration last year for the first time but I also have a second cataract forming as my cataract surgery was over ten years ago and I will need a laser procedure to correct it. I don't know which of either of those things are coming into play but it is very concerning as this is happening when I could conceivably be driving for many more years. When I got home I started doing some research and found out in IL you can have 20-40 vision with no restrictions. I was able to read an eye chart online that was 20-40 without my glasses so I don't know if I want to make a stink about this or not. On that chart it was line three. The lady I dealt with when I walked up to her counter she said next victim. She was NOT smiling. No one seemed to be in a good mood. I heard this lady in front of me saying one of the workers didn't believe her when she told them her weight! While I was sitting waiting to be called a policeman came up to me and said do you have a number. I showed him my number. He didn't ask anyone else. UMMM Did I look like a criminal or a confused senior sitting in the wrong section? Then when I was done I was trying to find out how to get to this exit I had seen others go out and another policeman said what are you trying to do. I said I am trying to leave. He very rudely pointed to an exit sign I hadn't seen and had a snide remark for me. When I was telling my sister about this whole experience she said you should have said to this policeman "I just failed my eye test what do you expect." I will have to go back to this place when I get my birth certificate in the mail. I think I will have to do it all over again. O Lord have mercy on me!!!!!!

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited July 2022

Nancy, I am so sorry you had such an aweful experience at the DMV. It can either be good or very bad! I was scared to get my CO license when we moved, but it was one of those good experiences. The first time through they told us their photo machine was down and we would have to back---this after waiting 30 minutes. We called a couple of days later and were finally able to get it. I feared my vision test and passed it although I know I guessed a couple of letters. My DH had all our paperwork so we sailed right through and were able to skip the wait since we were there before and were given fast passes. I was told CO only gives out Real ID anymore, but everyone has to have all the paperwork. But I know your fears and will pray this mountain gets moved for you.

Here is the photo of our puppy named Princess. Sorry, it is the best picture I have so far. She is a "multipoo" which is part poodle so she won't shed. She will only grow to about seven pounds max. She is doing ok although it is difficult getting her outside with the daily rain we are having. She is my granddaughter's puppy so of course Bria is in the picture.

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2022

OH Chris, that is truly one of the cutest puppies I have ever seen. It has the sweetest face. Bria looks very content with Princess. How is she adjusting to CO, a new house and new school. It has been a big adjustment for all of you.

My biggest fear with all of this DMV stuff is that I am losing my sight. What is truly crazy is that my sister and her husband who are downstate in IL didn't have to take the vision test at all. Nobody was because of Covid at their facility. My brother has macular degeneration pretty bad and we were all wondering if he would even pass the eye test. I have actually spent much more time in their DMV when I would have to get my sticker for my plates every year because it is much smaller and less hectic. Now the State wants you to do it by mail.

I am getting together at a friends house tomorrow with others coming to celebrate my birthday coming up. My sister and I would always go to our hometown three day festival that would land around my birthday so we would go a couple of nights and hear outdoor Christian concerts. After years of this outdoor celebration they have decided to discontinue it. With nothing during the last two years of the pandemic I guess it was a convenient time to just say sorry, no more. That was one of the few times my sister and I got to do something special. I will miss that.

Enjoy that cute little puppy. She looks like a little Teddy Bear.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited July 2022

Chris, what a sweet picture! Princess looks like a cuddly stuffed animal, and Bria seems so happy with her new little friend. Seven pounds max and no shedding sound perfect to me!

Nancy, I'm so sorry your trip to the DMV turned into an ordeal. The employee calling for the next "victim" was inappropriate. Little wonder that the DMV has a reputation for customer NO service. Is there an option to go to a different location for your follow-up appointment?

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited July 2022

The DMV is the worst. Well, maybe the IRS?

I caved and looked at the MRI report. Looked good! I see the surgeon tomorrow. Off for Zoladex #7 this afternoon.

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2022

Hi ladies. I have had some good days and not so good days. I finally made it to church on Sunday after missing five Sundays. I made it to the Butterfly House on Friday and I finally got a picture of a Blue Morpho Butterfly with it's wings open to be able to see it's gorgeous color. It is one of the largest butterflies in the world. I had one land on my arm which I will post later. That pic really shows it's gorgeous color. This one has too much sun on it but I am not complaining as I was thrilled to get this pic.

Carol, I enjoyed your recent blog post. Celebrating the small things that are good things is a great way to live each day to it's fullest. Thank you for your wise words.

GB, I hope your scans were good and that you got a good report from your surgeon.

Hershey, how is your Mom doing after having Covid for the third time? I had a contractor here this afternoon and he got Covid in April and he said he pretty much had no symptoms except he lost his voice for one day. Everybody has such different experiences. I hope your Mom is doing well. I hope your shoulder is doing well.

Chris, I hope you are enjoying the new puppy and she is not wearing you out.

Have a good night everyone. I am praying for each one of you.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited August 2022

Good morning, ladies! Nancy, that is a beautiful photo!

We're out in the desert for a couple of days with my dad. We are replacing all of the exterior swing doors (not the sliders) and it's supposed to take a couple of days. It's hot here, but not too hot (for the desert,) but we'll have the doors wide open in a little while so no AC. Could be worse.

• hersheykiss
    edited August 2022

That butterfly is beautiful, Nancy! I don't think I've seen one so intensely blue. Am I imagining things, or does the butterfly have blue eyes too?!

My mom has recovered very well from her recent bout of COVID. In fact, she visited a museum on Friday and then attended an ice cream social!

Thank you for asking about my shoulder. For the most part, it feels like it's moving more freely. Yesterday it seemed more restrictive, but I also worked a 9-hour day at the office. Thankfully a long day is the exception, not the rule.

Blessings on everyone's day and week!

• intolight
    edited August 2022

Sunshine, working in the heat is not pleasant but sounds like you have a good handle on things. Take care.

Nancy, beautiful butterfly. I love the brilliant blue! So happy you are able to get out a bit.

Hershey, I can't imagine working with everything else. I am glad your shoulder is improving.

Today is the first day of school for my granddaughter--yes, they start early. This school district takes two week breaks between semesters which is nice. (Two weeks in the fall, Christmas, and Spring.) The puppy is settling in but the training is still difficult. At least she sleeps eight hours at night. I am feeling pretty good and see my oncologist tomorrow for the official discussion on my PET results. The medicine still gives me side effects but if it keeps the cancer quiet I will take it!

Enjoy the week. Love, Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2022

Here is the pic of the Blue Morpho on my arm. I had to use my cellphone camera as I couldn't get a pic with my camera and my long lens. It was a struggle to take this. Not the shot I wanted but it does show the true blue color and scale of the butterfly. I do have to say it was a very special moment having this butterfly on my arm in all of it's beauty. Hershey, I don't know if it has blue eyes. I will have to go through my pictures again because I do have some really close up shots with their wings closed. You would not believe what they look like with wings closed. God's creation never ceases to amaze me.

Hershey, I am glad to hear your Mom is doing well. Glad to hear your shoulder is improving. Nine hour days..........ugh. Glad you have some days off now.

Carol, being in the desert with no AC sounds tough. Hopefully the project will go quickly and smoothly.

Chris, I continue to pray for your side effects and that your body will eventually adjust. Is Bria's school considered a year round school calendar? I hope she is doing well in her new school. Glad to hear the puppy is sleeping at night. I have never had to train a puppy before but I can imagine it is a challenge. As I walk past many dog owners with their dogs there is quite a difference in how they all behave. (The dogs that is)Winking.

Tomorrow is my birthday and I had hoped to do something fun but rain is predicted all afternoon. I did celebrate with several friends a few days ago so that was fun. I miss going downstate and having some quality time with my sister as we would attend the town's outdoor celebration and attend the Christian concerts at night. With the pandemic and all the town decided not to do the celebration anymore. We will really miss that.

Have a good rest of the day everyone. Hope you enjoy my arm candy. LOL

Hershey, I went back to look at my first post of the butterfly and tried to enlarge it and it does look like it has blue eyes!!

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited August 2022

Nancy, that is stunning! The color is unreal!!!

The first set of doors went into the casita. It took the installers almost all day, but they did an awesome job. Tomorrow they will do the two sets that go out toward the golf course. Then they'll come back next week to install the double front door. These guys are amazing. I had no idea how much work it would be. Silly me thought they'd just pop the old door out and pop the new one in. Shows how much I know!

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2022

Thanks Carol. It is stunning. To see dozens flying around is truly a magical experience. I feel like I am in a Disney movie they look so unreal. Installing doors takes some skill for sure. Glad they are doing a good job.

Teka., thank you. I'll take a slice of that triple layer cake. Sugar free and gluten free hopefully!! Nine candles. I take that. How is your knee doing? I hope your pain meds are working.

Have a restful night everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    edited August 2022

What a beautiful butterfly!!

I agree no AC in the desert sounds like a rough time. Our AC was broken last month during a Mid-Atlantic and it was so miserable I didn't think we were going to make it. The medication hot flashes didn't help either.

Appointment with the surgeon went fine!

I have my long awaited (delayed for a year) endoscopy today. This is to assess long time GERD and off and on somewhat odd swallowing. I'm nervous because of IV sticks (you all probably understand that one) and because I did become aware during an endoscopy once and recall the choking and struggling against the scope in my throat. I suppose I should tell them about that today. My appointment is at noon (EST) so I'm in my clear liquid phase for a bit longer.

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2022

Happy Birthday Nancy! The butterfly is beautiful and a great picture. Your birthday is close to mine which is Saturday 😊. Hope you have a special day!

GB praying for you today and a painless procedure with good results. Chris, the puppy is so sweet and so is your little grand daughter. Hershey, so glad to hear of your mom's recovery and feeling back to normal. Glad to hear your shoulder is doing pretty well too. Carol, keep cool in all that heat and sunshine!

Praying for you all!

Love, Wheatfields

• intolight
    edited August 2022

Nancy, Happy Birthday. Enjoy this day to the fullest!

Happy Birthday Digital Card Happy Birthday e-card Birthday image 1

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2022

Thank you all for your birthday wishes, banners and comments on my butterfly photos. I couldn't sleep last night so I finally got up around 4 and made a greeting card for a friend. Not a great day to start off my birthday but the weather forecast changed and now the rain is not coming until later so now I am back to figuring out what fun thing to do. It is miserably hot and humid so that may limit what I would like to do.

GB, praying that your endoscopy was not too difficult and that it will help your doctor figure out what is happening. Yikes, waking up during that procedure is stuff of nightmares!!!! Hopefully that didn't happen today. I too have a swallowing problem post neck surgery in 2001. That was a typical side effect which was supposed to go away. Mine never did and really no solutions even after the tests. I have learned to swallow pills on one side of my throat. Hopefully you will get your situation resolved.

Wheatfields, how is your stomach burning? I know you won't have your scopes until Sept but I am praying already.

Have a great day everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited August 2022

Happy birthday, Nancy! I hope you get some relief from the heat and humidity. It's warm here with the doors open and no AC but it's not too bad. It's only 98F right now with a high of 110. It could be worse!

• hersheykiss
    edited August 2022

Carol, a high of 110?! Swoon! But it's a "dry" heat, right? ;-)

Happy birthday, Nancy! I hope you have something fun planned for the rest of your special day!

• sunshine99
    edited August 2022

The thermostat says it is 94F in the house, 39% humidity. Outside it's 107F with 20% humidity. High clouds are starting to build. Looks like a possibility of thunderstorms tomorrow. Guys are getting close to getting done today and we'll be able to turn the AC back on.

• gb2115
    edited August 2022

Happy birthday Nancy!

It went ok. IV went right in. I had blood vessels burst into a little rash under the BP cuff. Doc said to get platelets checked. I see oncology in a few weeks for my next Zometa infusion. I guess I can call and tell them what happened to see if they want to add that to the blood they're drawing. I personally think the cuff was too tight, but still....

I have a small hiatal hernia and an over relaxing LES, so there's the GERD. She said the swallowing things sound like an autoimmune things that can happen with the esophagus. Not sure what to do with that. I will ask her more at the follow up.

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2022

Thank you for more Birthday wishes. I may not have family close to celebrate as in the past but you all are like my second family so I do appreciate all of you so much. The rain and basically awful weather prohibited me from doing what I would call fun on my birthday. I did have a big splurge and had my first sweet treat since Jan. I am still on my detox diet. I had a chocolate frosty from Wendys. Wooohooooo. I paid for it all evening so I will think twice before doing that again. I was having terrible computer issues and knew I needed to call the Geek squad. This morning two miracles happened. My computer had a Chrome update and now it is working just fine. I had figured out it was a Chrome issue but wanted the tech people to deal with it. Then my landline phone that hadn't been working for several days is all of a sudden working. Thank you Jesus!!!

Carol, I hope the door project is all finished so you can have AC. Yesterday we had humidity of 75 and when I finished my late night walking I was drenched when I got home. I have not experience dry heat before so I don't know what that is like. I have experienced Florida in July and Texas in July and after those experiences decided I could never live in either of those places!!

GB, I am glad your IV went fine. The blood vessels bursting is interesting. Hopefully no problem there. When you mentioned a small hiatal hernia I completely forgot I have one of those too. My new gastro didn't have me do the upper scope and when the colonoscopy was all over I don't think I even realized maybe he made a mistake and didn't read my records carefully. Hopefully you will get some answers when you have your follow up. Are you on an acid blocker for GERD? I have had that in the past and was on the meds for a long, long time and then read that you are only supposed to take them short term. So I just stopped taking the meds. My gastro is long retired now who prescribed that. Sounds like you have quite a few issues to deal with. Hopefully nothing serious.

Have a good day everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2022

Teka, I am glad that you were able to get in much sooner. Obviously you need the knee surgery and hopefully this will be a solution to get you out of pain. I know no one likes the thought of facing a big surgery but I am glad this doesn't have to be more long and drawn out as it could have been. You tried the more conservative route and that worked in the short term. Now hopefully you will do fine and it will be a good long term solution. My Mom had a knee replacement quite a few years ago and she did really well. I will be praying that your surgery will go well with a good result. In the mean time I pray that you have good pain control.

PS I have not tried the sugar free and gluten free candles. LOL It might be an "enlightening" experienceWinking

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    edited August 2022

Nancy, I've been sticking with pepcid as I've been afraid of long time Prilosec (or similar) use. She said I could up my dose since the reflux pain has been breaking through. I can try Prilosec if that fails. We'll see. She didn't see any damage from the reflux so that's good.

My nose has been crazy runny from the oxygen nasal cannula. I looked that up and apparently it's a thing that can happen. I hope it stops happening soon. I think my coworkers thought I had covid yesterday, lol. I have a ton of patient facing work to do today, so running back and forth to blow my nose is not the best situation. I doubt I'm sick because I went to the endoscopy with a clear nose and woke up stuffy 20 minutes later. The oxygen flow felt really high. I should have said that to them.

• intolight
    edited August 2022

gb, I have gone back and forth with Prilosec use. I have been on it for a long time prescribed by my doctor. It is the only thing that helps, My doctor said it helps prevent cancer of the esophagus in severe cases and we have to weigh damage there to other side effects. She monitors it. My GERD has been doing better on this new medicine so I may try to get off it again. I have tried in the past with poor results.

TEKA, I am glad you got in sooner.

• gb2115
    edited August 2022

I suspect I will eventually end up on Prilosec. I guess I need to see everything else fail first!

At least my runny nose is getting better. I was able to have a productive day at work yesterday so that was good.

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2022

• sunshine99
    edited August 2022

Thank you, Nancy. I needed that today.

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited August 2022

Carol, this was the verse God gave me when I was pretty certain I had cancer and it was just a matter of that being confirmed the next day on the phone. It really did give me peace at that time and still is a good reminder of this truth for me and for everyone.

As we all know too well, God doesn't exempt us from problems and suffering but He does promise to be with us as we go through them. My goal is to feel His presence always and I realize that this will be a daily challenge and effort and I fail miserably on many days. I am thankful God is patient and merciful.

I have my brain MRI on Wednesday to see if my brain tumor is stable. I have honestly not thought about it too much but now that it is coming soon I am. I think I am a bit more scared of my eye apt in a couple of weeks to see if my macular degeneration has gotten any worse.

I pray that we all have a good week as many are starting school in our area this week and I know Chris that Bria has already started. It is mind boggling that the summer has flown by.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
    edited August 2022

Thank you Nancy for the lovely banner and the very special verse we all need to remember. We will be praying for your MRI and a good report and also your upcoming eye appointment, that nothing has gotten worse.

Praying for each of you!

Wheatfields