Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited June 2022

Carol, yes it has been a perfect several days in a row as a matter of fact.

Chris, thank you. Some of these sculptures were huge. We went inside of one of them and I think I lost an ear ring in that one. All I know is I got home and realized I only had one ear ring and my necklace set. Oh well.

I am glad your your other Dad was a good one. My great uncle taught me to fish and I did fish with my Dad as well. Some good memories.

I am sorry you aren't feeling well. You have had such a whirlwind month that would exhaust anyone. Praying that you can rest and feel much better.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 704
    edited June 2022

That is an amazing sculpture, Nancy, and you look great in your skinny jeans!

My brothers taught me to fish. We'd take our golden retriever to the lake and fish for crappie and blue gills. Our dog would go for a swim with the mallards and scare away the fish. Silly dog. :)

Chris, I hope you are resting and will feel better soon.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Thank you Hershey. Looks like a few of us enjoyed fishing growing up. I no longer fish but I do miss it. I went to visit the new swan family this afternoon. I did not get the picture that I wanted as Mama was on the bank and the babies followed her. They were so cute as they were napping. Papa was busy preening in the water. I tried to walk around the pond and I took some pics of the babies through the bushes but not great pics. There are only five babies now. One of the workers told us that there were seven but unless something happened to two of them which is definitely possible there are now five. Maybe one of these years I will be able to recreate my swan family photo but maybe not.

BTW Daniel Popper is the artist who did the sculptures. If you google his name and Morton Arboretum you might be able to see several of the sculptures. They are quite amazing.

Have a good week dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2022

Nice photo Nancy!

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Thanks GB. How are you doing? I was doing some yardwork this afternoon and discovered a dead sparrow in my bushes next to my patio. I always hate to see that. The heat and humidity have returned but we had a nice respite for a few days.

Take care.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

This is Papa swan taking it easy swimming on Father's Day while Mama and the babies are on the bank taking a nap. This pond allows for the neatest reflections. I hope one day I can share a good pic of the whole family together.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited June 2022

Nancy, I love it! What a great photo.

• hersheykiss
    edited June 2022

Nancy, those colors are phenomenal. I think you've taken another award-winning photo!

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Thank you Carol. Sometimes I go back and take another look and realize some are keepers that I had not considered.

Hershey, thank you. I may end up making a photo card out of that one. Are you about finished now with your PT? I hope you have found it to be very helpful.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    edited June 2022

I'm ok. Work has been stressful--I have headaches at work everyday--I'd worry about brain mets except it never happens on the weekend. They drive me crazy at work.

Also hurting a lot. This joint pain (or whatever it is) is for the birds. I don't see a point saying anything to my MO since she's rarely helpful with side effects. She told me to do yoga. I tried chair yoga and pulled a muscle in my back. This is how my life goes, lol. I did talk with her nurse navigator who suggested trying CBD. I need to look into that more. Anyway, my ankles hurt to walk and now when I wake up I can barely move my fingers because of pain and stiffness. Considering going to ortho about my ankles (in case it's tendonitis or something). I think what's holding me back is I'm worried whatever PT they want to do will make it worse. That's what happened with a knee injury. I was pushed so hard it didn't heal until they gave up. Then it healed once I rested it. So I'm resting, but I stiffen up very quickly.

Keeping an eye on the bluebirds. They hatched some eggs over the weekend. We're hoping the babies are ok--they hatched during a very hot day last week. I know there's at least one dud egg in there (from pictures we took), so I hope the other babes are ok. The mom and dad are still being attentive (mom is brooding), but we haven't seen anyone removing shell pieces or anything, and haven't noticed significant feeding behaviors. Hopefully it's just when we're not watching. Dad is hanging around the box a lot. I feel if there weren't live babies, they'd have abandoned completely. Hmm

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited June 2022

gb, sorry to hear about your headaches. I don't know your work situation, but do you have flourescent lighting at work? That used to cause me to have migraines. I assume they might cause headaches for you too. You might benefit from using light-tinted sunglasses. Praying it is that simple. I don't know about your joint pains and they sound dreadful. I am getting aches and pains in different places too and have no idea why, but I am on a new dose of meds so I am trying to be patient. My husband and I are also thinking the altitude may be affecting me more than I know. I will try to be patient with that too. I tire way too fast right now.

Nancy, love the swan picture. Animal control was just at a neighbor's house. Their dog has been barking non-stop since early this morning. That is not allowed here... Police have just arrived too. hmmm...

Enjoy a nice summer day everyone.

• hersheykiss
    edited June 2022

GB, I just read an article on nutrition to support joints and reduce pain. The author, an MD, recommended vitamin C and omega-3 fatty acids. He also stressed to keep moving as movement carries nutrients to the joint capsules.

Did your doctor's nurse happen to mention capsaicin cream? It helps some people manage their joint and muscle pain.

Chris, I hope there is nothing serious going on at the neighbor's house. The police presence is a bit troubling.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Hi everyone. I could use your prayers. I am sick with quite a few Covid symptoms. I had ordered some self tests a few weeks ago and they came recently. I am so fatigued I have not even felt like doing the test yet. I know that it is important to seek treatment early and my primary doctor was okay with me not choosing to get the second booster but I did get the pneumonia vaccine.

I was with hundreds of people at this legacy breakfast on Saturday. That was the first in a long time I had not worn a mask at church. Of course I am concerned living alone and trying to figure out how I am going to manage if I have to quarantine. I have been concerned with my cat again.

Teka, your first peony bloom is beautiful. Growing up we had a big peony plant in our front yard. They make a beautiful bouquet as well. How is your knee doing? Actually the friend that I spent the day with at the arboretum is the friend who has an arthritic knee and is walking the Chicago Marathon in Oct. She is also a bc survivor. We are having a scorcher of a day here. I would gladly send you some of our heat!!! Yes. I may make a greeting card from that swan pic.

GB I am sorry you are having so much joint pain and headaches. I had considered CBD and discussed it with my social worker in oncology at one point. I think it is becoming more mainstream. I have had a lot of joint pain but never in my ankles. I think it would be wise to get an ortho evaluation. I have fibromyalgia and I know that nutrition is key in reducing inflammation. If you google foods that cause inflammation there are a lot of things on that list. Sugar is a big one along with foods that normally have gluten. Praying you can get some answers and solutions. I hope you will get to see baby bluebirds soon.

Chris, are you feeling any better? I know you mentioned not feeling well a couple of days ago. I would imagine that it takes some time for your body to acclimate to your new drug and new dose. I am praying that it will work for you and that you will be able to manage the side effects.

I hope nothing is wrong at your neighbors. That does sound alarming. Just a few minutes ago I thought I saw something out of the corner of my eye walking by my patio door. It was a raccoon. It eventually found it's way to my neighbors deck where they have quite an elaborate grill. Many years ago there was a family living under that deck and it was a real nightmare. One of them would crawl up on my roof and leave deposits up there in the hot sun. I remember a friend came over with a long ladder and I had to get up on my roof to remove the "stuff". I sure don't want to revisit that whole scenario.

Thank you for your nice comment on the swan photo.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Hi everyone. I did test positive for Covid. Shocked I just sent a message to my primary doctor. He told me in May that they have effective treatments now. So we'll see.

Teka, I'm glad you aren't doing the flamingo stand anymore. Yeah!!!

I was around so many people these last few days. I don't even know where to begin.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited June 2022

Nancy, I am so sorry to hear of your Covid diagnosis and am praying you have mild symptoms and a quick recovery. They do have medicine that will help you now. My DH got his second booster just before our kids arrived but I have postposed it because I did not want to be sick when they were here. I am also still afraid of attending large gatherings and you just confirmed my fear.

I still do not feel well. Someone on the Verzemio thread told me it often takes several months for one to adjust to Verzenio and to be patient. I am trying. I am also hoping I adjust to the altitude here soon. I know from nefore that it usually takes six months to a year to acclimate. I live at 7000 ft and am still trying to remember how to adjust my cooking. My oxygen levels remain good and I am happy about that. I don't like sitting so much but it is about all I can do. I want so badly to be able to walk our new neighborhood but just can't yet. I have no idea what happened with the neighbor but I haven't heard the dogs since this morning.

• gb2115
    edited June 2022

Nancy--sorry you are sick---I hope you can get some rest and feel better!!!

HersheyKiss--I was looking at trying some Omega 3. The nurse didn't mention the capsacian, but did mention Voltaren gel. I do try to keep moving, with the limited things I can do. Probably touching base with a PT at some point would be helpful. I need practical things I can do at home.

• sunshine99
    edited June 2022

Nancy, I'm SO sorry. I hope you get relief soon! I keep hearing about neighbors getting COVID. So far, we've been symptom free. Regarding the racoons, we had some trying to get under our house last week. My husband had sealed up the perimeter of the house around the foundation where they used to get in. I guess they were trying to figure out how to get back under there.

Our neighbor said they've been stealing his landscape lighting. He finally caught them on his security cameras! One thing we've tried, and it actually worked was ammonia bombs. Take some tennis balls and soak them in ammonia (a zip lock bag works great) and then put them in the areas with the raccoons. It doesn't hurt them, but they don't like the smell. Just be careful not to breathe the stuff when you're making them.

Chris, I hope you're feeling better, too. Altitude adjustment can take a while, from what I hear. I'm sorry the Verzemio isn't being kind do you!

Love and prayers to all,

Carol

• hersheykiss
    edited June 2022

Nancy, I'm so sorry about your testing positive for COVID. I hope that your doctor will quickly prescribe an oral antiviral medication or monoclonal antibody infusion. So much has changed since the start of the pandemic, and many pharmacies offer same-day home delivery. I'm hoping you won't have to venture out of the house for treatment.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Teka, I hope you enjoy your hiatus from the threads. Take care.

I got a message from my primary doctor's nurse this morning. I couldn't sleep last night so I got up and I finally went back to bed shortly before sunrise. I did sleep and got up late. The nurse gave me a ton of info on quarantining and then said to call a number to schedule a video visit with my doctor. I was on the phone for 45 min and I was feeling horrible and getting more frustrated as my calls were repeatedly getting cut off. After talking to the third customer service guy I explained that the earliest my doctor could get me in for a video visit was not until June 28 and that was too late to get in on some of these treatments. I finally said why can't I just go to urgent care. H said I will make an apt for you so I got in late this afternoon. I had been reading up on Paxlovid and it had pros and cons to it. I prayed that God would direct me to the right treatment for me. The NP that treated me I had been treated by her in the past and I had a lot of confidence in her. She spent a lot of time with me and she said I think that monoclonal antibodies would be the best choice for you. I am at high risk for serious illness so I knew I wanted some kind of intervention. I had to read this four page document and I decided to go for it. It was administered through an IV and then I had to be monitored for an hour as strong side effects can occur. I had none which amazed me. She did say that tomorrow I would feel like I had the flu. So it sounds like the scenario where you have to feel worse before you feel better. I felt horrible yesterday and this morning and I do feel some better. I am supposed to report back to my doctor. The nurse that gave me the IV said many of the primary doctors don't want to see Covid patients in person. She said when it is so important to check lungs and vitals she really didn't think that was appropriate. She said if I have any complications or get worse to not waste my time getting an apt with the doctor but to come right back to urgent care. Of course I am concerned about things getting worse or getting long Covid. One of my good friends who used to be a part of this thread has been battling long Covid for a long time. She has made amazing progress but she has been through the ringer in the process. Anyone can get long Covid and from my understanding and researching there is no treatment for it yet which I find amazing since there are so many people that have it.

Thank you all for your support and prayers and posts. I have not entered the inside of a restaurant since pre pandemic times and this past Friday is the first I had eaten inside a restaurant. I was telling all the people that treated me today that. The nurse said we have been getting that a lot lately. She said I think everyone will eventually get it as it will be as common as getting the flu. One thing with this treatment is it makes future vaccines less effective.

Carol, I haven't told my neighbors about the raccoon yet. I know they can wreak havoc. I have never heard of the stealing landscape lighting but I know there hands can do a lot of things the cause humans grief. I just my neighbors tonight as I was driving home from urgent care and I told them I had Covid. I didn't want to get into the raccoon thing as I was fearful of spreading my germs even though I had on a mask. I will tell them via a text. It is their deck that the racoons can get under. I have a patio and they can't get under that.

GB, I can't take much for pain as my stomach just doesn't tolerate it but I have found that I can take Tumeric and that has been very helpful for my knees. I used to use Voltaren when it was prescription. I had some foot issues and that did help as well.

Chris, I am really sorry to hear that you have found that Verzenio takes so long for your body to adjust to it. That has to be hard to hear when you have already been through so much. I do pray that your body will adjust to your meds and the altitude. The one and only time I was in Denver I visited what I think was the continental divide. That was the first I had ever experienced shortness of breath because of altitude so in my very limited experience I just remember it wasn't pleasant.

Have a good night dear sisters. Thanks for your prayers and I would still covet them as I get through this.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2022

Nancy I am sorry that you are battling Covid and you are so brave choosing the IV treatment but I am sure it was the best option, also I enjoyed your pretty pictures you have posted. We are all praying that you are soon on the mend and feeling better.

Praying for you Chris that your body adjusts to the new med and that you feel better soon. I am so glad you had a wonderful time with family.

Also, praying for your work situation GB and for Hershey and Carol as well.

My hands are getting better, they said to massage the incision with vitamin e oil but it seems like a hard little lump and gets sore with too much massaging. I've had a sensitive stomach all my life, and was diagnosed before with dyspepsia. But it's been bothering me more lately and have an appointment for Monday (mostly to make sure it's still the same old story). I did have some tests about 12 years ago and for this same kind of burning sensation in the stomach.

Continuing in prayer for all of you and thank you so much for your prayers!

Wheatfields

• intolight
    edited June 2022

Good morning dear sisters.

Nancy, praying your IV treatment works. I find it a paradox that doctors do not want to see you when you are sick!

Wheatfields, glad your hands are improving and I will pray for an easy solution for your stomach issues.

GB, how are your headaches? Continued prayers for Hershey and Carol also.

My DH has come down with what we hope is just a cold. We have no idea where he caught it but we have pulled out the air purifiers and sanitizers hoping it is not too late for me. I don't feel well still but I did have a small burst of energy last night--enough to do the dishes and put away some clean clothes. I am still having pain in my left side but it is less today. It is usually a result of my IBS so I don't worry too much. Looks like another beautiful day here. We enjoyed seeing the stars last night. Hopefully it meant the fires in AZ are getting under control as we have been getting their smoke here. It crawls over the Rockies and settles here before dissipating.

Have a good day. Chris

• sunshine99
    edited June 2022

Nancy, it sounds like they're getting a handle on this. I hope the treatment isn't too hard on you.

Wheatfields, I'm sorry you're dealing with stomach issues.

Today seems to be starting off a bit better. I did wake up at about 12:40 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. I think I dozed off and on and finally woke up around 7:45.

Wishing everyone a peaceful, symptom free day.

Carol

• hersheykiss
    edited June 2022

Nancy, I'm glad that you were able to receive treatment yesterday. It sounds like the monoclonal antibodies offer the best treatment plan for you. I too have reservations about the oral antiviral (Paxlovid) and its interactions with so many other medications. Long COVID is also a concern of mine; recent research reported that one in five people with COVID end up developing long COVID, and women seem more susceptible to it than men. I pray that you recover from this COVID bout with no lasting symptoms.

Chris, I hope your husband is feeling better and that he is experiencing summertime allergies only. If something other than allergies, I'm praying that you will not contract it.

Wheatfields, it sounds like you're making very good progress in your recovery from hand surgery. Keep up your good work! I hope the indigestion settles down soon and the appointment on Monday eases your mind.

Yesterday afternoon I pulled into my garage and saw what looked to be a dirt clod in the middle of the driveway. It was no dirt clod but a baby robin! One of the parents flew to it and coaxed it into my neighbor's yard. I think there is a nest in one of the evergreens, and this little one is ready to go.

Wishing everyone a peace filled rest of the day.

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited June 2022

Nancy I hope the monoclonal antibodies are helping you feel better. Just prayed for all the needs mentioned here as I caught up on the posts.

• gb2115
    edited June 2022

Hi Chris! Haven't had a headache since Monday, which is definitely an improvement! I think a lot of it is work stress. I wonder sometimes if I should mention it to the MO, but I think mets wouldn't disappear over the weekend. I've been having neck pain too, but I have impressive muscle tension in there. I probably should go get a massage, but to be honest, I don't want to get that close to another person.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Hi everyone,

I am not bouncing back from Covid as I had hoped. I had been feeling better last night and then I got very little sleep and got up very early after getting to bed very late and I feel awful today. My sleep schedule is really goofed up. I feel like I have been sick forever and I realize that it hasn't even been a week yet. I am so fearful of getting long haul Covid that each day I don't feel good is not helping. I know many have quickly recovered from the Omicron variant. I was supposed to check my oxygen levels and I had ordered a pulse oximeter which was supposed to have arrived on Thursday. It never came and now is saying it may be lost. The seller is taking no responsibility and putting it all back on Amazon. Not sure what to do about that. I still have to follow up with my primary doctor and I haven't even attempted to make that apt. I wonder if he will only want to see me by video. A little hard to check vitals online!

My NP at urgent care in her after visit summary said I need to isolate for 10 days. I am not sure why they didn't recommend the new CDC guideline of 5 days but I wouldn't have felt like doing anything after the five days anyway.

Chris, how are you feeling? How is your DH doing? I sure hope he doesn't have Covid. If I hadn't had the home test kit I would have never known as my symptoms started like a bad head cold.

GB, glad to hear your headaches have improved.

Jean, how is your LE therapy coming along?

Wheatfields, I'm sorry to hear about your GI problems. I hope you can get some relief and solutions. I can sympathize as I am still dealing with similar issues.

Hershey, how is your shoulder doing after PT?

Carol, I bet you are working on your next blog. I look at things through a different "lens" now that I am into photography. I bet you do similar types of thinking as you decide on what your next topic will be.

Have a good week dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited June 2022

Nancy, I am so sorry to hear you are still struggling with Covid with little sleep and not having a doctor's support. I can't imaging going through all of it alone. Does your insurance allow for a travelling nurse to check vitals? I think it is something Kaiser started with Covid and I was thankful for it when I went home from the hospital and coudn't get out. I also ordered home testing kits when my DH got sick. I wondered whether he had Covid but he feels better already. They haven't arrived yet but I don't think we will need to test this time. I didn't catch his virus but I still don't feel well. I have had stomach pain for a week now. I see my oncologist July 7th and I hope I can wait that long. Usually it goes away in a couple of days but not this time. I am trying to stay upbeat but am struggling emotionally a bit worrying whether this medicine is working at all. Sometimes it gets overwhelming.

gb, I am glad your headaches are better. I agree with not wanting to get too close to someone with a massage. I was told not to get a massage since my bones are suspect with tumors so I haven't had one in six years.

I am praying for the rest of you, Jean, Wheatfields, Carol, and Hershey. It is good to have a place where we know we have others who know and care about what we are going through. Praying God showers you all with His blessing. Chris

• hersheykiss
    edited June 2022

Nancy, I am so sorry that COVID is putting a strain on your rest and recuperation. Chris makes a good point about the visiting nurses. Would your medical insurance helpline be of assistance in arranging those services?

Chris, I am glad that your husband is feeling better but very sorry that your stomach pain persists. Is it possible to get on the oncologist's cancellation list for an appointment before the 7th?

GB, you are prudent about not wanting to schedule a massage for the time being. I too am uncomfortable with being in a tiny room so close to another person.

Blessings on everyone's week.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Hi again. I had a friend who lives in another state call and find out where I could get a pulse oximeter near me. She happened to find MY pharmacy and found out they had one and they could deliver it. So I called and it was just as much a nightmare as trying to get a doctor's apt the other day. They dropped my call twice after waiting on hold for a long time. I finally ordered it online. I feel worn out just from this whole fiasco. I then got a refund from Amazon. Now I have to clean up the kitchen. I just need a burst of energy.

My insurance is always bugging me about their house calls program. I have always refused as it seemed like a waste of time since I already see so many doctors. This oximeter will be coming tomorrow morning so that will give me something to go on. I will not hesitate to go back to urgent care if I feel like I need to.

Chris, I am concerned about your stomach pain. Hershey makes a good point on trying to get on your MO's cancelation list. I hope you can do that. We will be praying for you.

Take care everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited June 2022

Nancy, I have lived with a pulse oximeter since my lung troubles in San Diego. When we moved to Colorado Springs I checked it nightly because of the altitude but my oxygen continues to be good. That is all part of God's healing grace. I even carried it around in my purse for a couple of months. We bought a new one when we moved to CO as the one I carried around was a little beat up. I am sorry you have had so much trouble getting one.