Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 704
    edited June 2022

Nancy, I hope the pulse oximeter arrives on time today. I'm so sorry the pharmacy's phone system dropped your calls and made things difficult for you. A phone call to the pharmacy should be as uncomplicated for patients as possible. I pray that today is a more peaceful day for you.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited June 2022

Nancy, praying that you feel better soon.

Regarding not wanting to get close for a massage, I feel the same way about a haircut. I have pretty wild chemo curls that I will need to eventually deal with. But I haven't wanted to go in. Everyone keeps telling me I look good though...but I don't know what to do with these curls!!!

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited June 2022

This was in my Susie Larson Daily Blessings for today and I resonated well with me today. I thought I would share...

Daily Blessing

You may be walking through a storm, but you're going to be okay. You may feel like you're in over your head, but you will make it to the other side. You may feel like you have to be perfect to deserve God's intervention but you're wrong. He guards and guides you not because you're perfect, but because He is. You may wonder if God sees the mess around you, and He does. He's working out every nuance, every detail, for your good and for His glory. You may wonder about a lot of things, but never wonder about His love. He's mighty to save, powerful in love, and forever on His throne. He is committed to you, invested in your life, and fully prepared to see your story all the way through to its beautiful completion. Rest assured today.

Psalm 91:1-2 NLT ~ Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
    This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I trust him.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited June 2022

Where to start? I wasn't here yesterday, and I missed so much!

Chris, WOW, and thank you! Your post gave me goosebumps and brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful reminder of the love, care, and compassion our Father has for us.

Nancy, I'm so sorry you've been suffering with yucky COVID stuff and can't even get your pulse oximeter delivered. I have one and use it fairly often, depending on how I'm feeling. I hope yours gets delivered today!

I'm trying a new/different Intermittent Fasting plan. While I have tried it before, my fasts weren't "clean." "Clean" means that my morning coffee is drunk black, with NO milk, and NO sugar-free eggnog latte syrup. Boo-hoo. I'm not enjoying the coffee but am starting to get used to it. Fasting is water, black coffee, tea, etc., all of which are unflavored and unsweetened.

I was getting so frustrated at this 15-pound weight gain (I know it may not seem like a lot) and the jelly roll/muffin top around my waist - all since my MBC diagnosis and the COVID chaos which both started around the same time.

Anyway, it's good to catch up on all the posts. I apologize for not mentioning each one of you specifically. Know that you are loved.

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited June 2022

Wheatfields, praying for your scans for tomorrow. Do you think your dyspepsia could be aggravated by the stress of these scans. I sure hope that you feel better and praying you will.

Chris, your devotional really resonated with me and I know it did for you too. Praying you feel much better and by some miracle get into your MO earlier than expected.

I slept really well. In fact another very late start to this day. When I was laying in bed I thought I want to get up get a bath, wash my hair, get dressed and do some laundry which hasn't been done for days and water my flowers outside. Then when I actually got up and realized I may need to rethink all of that. I did get my oximeter and I need to take a bath and eat and then figure out how to use it.

My internet went out a few minutes ago but it is thankfully back up and running now. I will make some decisions after I have eaten and bathed.

Thank you for your concerns and your prayers.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited June 2022

Chris, your daily devotion is encouraging and comforting. God has all things in hand!

GB, my stylist cuts clients' hair outdoors at their houses or hers. Would yours be open to something like that? If not, maybe hop on Nextdoor. Someone may know a stylist or is one and will do a cut outdoors for you.

Carol, you are more disciplined than I am when it comes to morning coffee. Black coffee with no sugar-free sweetener? Say it isn't so!! ;-)

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Hi everyone.

I did get a bath, washed my hair and got dressed for the first time in several days. I actually did a load of laundry too so if I have to go to the hospital at least I will have clean underwear!!!!! (just joking- I am NOT expecting to go to the hospital) I don't feel great and some of my symptoms have returned but I feel like I am going in the right direction. I got my oximeter up and running and so far no oxygen issues. I actually made some coffee which I haven't done in a while. I have discovered Nutpods as a better creamer for my diet. Hershey, I am with you..........NO black coffee. Carol, I hope your new fasting regimen works.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
    edited June 2022

Chris, I loved your devotional - it is so very meaningful and comforting for every day. Thank you for sharing it. I'm praying for an earlier appointment for you and that your DH is feeling much better.

Nancy, I'm glad the oximeter is here and praying that you are feeling better each day. With all that you accomplished it does sound good, be careful not too overdo. Yes, I think stomach issues could very well be aggravated by stress. I did go to a gastroenterologist today and he took some blood and ordered a stool sample (he said we will start with simple tests). I don't think of blood work as simple but the Lord did provide for me. Thank you for your prayers!

Carol - I'm praying that your fasting works out for you real well, it does sound hard to do clean fasting.

Praying for Hershey and GB too and thank you all for your prayers.

Love, Wheatfields

• sunshine99
    edited June 2022

Hi everyone,

Nancy I'm glad you are starting to feel better and well enough to bathe and do some laundry! That's a lot! And sleeping well is a big one!

Hershey, although I'm not enjoying my black coffee like I used to enjoy my milk plus sugar-free eggnog latte syrup, I'm getting used to it. I supposed I could have it during my eating window, but that doesn't start until after 1:00 pm. Maybe I'll have it this afternoon.

Wheatfields, I prayed for you and your scans today.

Love and prayers for GB and all of you dear sisters!

Carol

• hersheykiss
    edited June 2022

Wheatfields, it sounds like your appointment went well and the gastroenterologist took a reasonable approach. I hope he has an answer for you soon and the solution is a straightforward one.

Carol, I'm rooting for you and a successful fast!

Nancy, I hope you are feeling better and stronger today.

Wishing everyone a blessed evening.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Wheatfields, I hope you get results from your scans very soon. I hope your gastro tests will reveal something that could easily be treated. You are now sounding like a pro having blood tests. Good for you. Praying you feel much better.

Last night I had plans for today of doing more laundry and maybe even some cleaning but it was not one of those days. I didn't get dressed and have had very little energy.

I have had my pulse oximeter all of two days so I am still trying to understand how it is reading. Yesterday it was reading quite well. Today I was a little alarmed that it kept getting lower and lower. Because of my low thyroid I usually always have cold hands and feet so I was aware to try to warm up my fingers before taking a reading.

I did make an in person visit with my doctor. I won't see him until next Wed as I didn't want to see him really early in the morning and was hoping I would feel better before driving. He said I could see him either in a video visit or in person.

Thank you for your posts and prayers.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited June 2022

Nancy, what kind of pulse oximeter are you using? I have the finger-type. It's kind of like the kind they use at the clinic.

I hope you start feeling better. It's worrisome when your O2 sats are dropping. I'm glad you're seeing your doctor in person. Video visits are good for some things, but not so much for other things.

Carol

EDITED to add I just went on Amazon and looked at them. There are lots of choices - including one that "lets you sleep with no hard feelings." That one cracked me up!

• wheatfields
    edited June 2022

Thank you everyone for your prayers. The scans did turn out good and I'm so thankful. Continuing to pray for all of you!

Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2022

Wheatfields, so glad to hear your scans were good!!!! I bet you will breathe a lot easier and hopefully your stomach issues will improve as a result as well.

Chris, how are you feeling? Your DH?

Carol, my pulse oximeter is a finger one like at most doctor's offices. It is a Walgreen's brand and it got a lot of good reviews. Their others were quite expensive and this was over twice what I paid to Amazon for the one that got lost. It doesn't work while I am sleeping though. LOL It is still reading leaving me scratching my head. I will be glad to be checked out by my doctor next week. I am feeling better today but I am very dependent on Tylenol still to keep my temp down. I finished another load of laundry so that is a good sign. I can't imagine those poor souls that were hospitalized for months with Covid. I know how isolated I feel now and what they must have felt like only seeing medical staff in all of their suites looking like a scene from ET!!!! I asked the nurse that gave me the infusion of monoclonal antibodies last week if she still gets nervous around people with Covid since she only had on a mask. She said not really but initially I know that wasn't the case. I don't know if I mentioned this but she told me she thinks eventually everyone will be infected with Covid. That was a chilling statement. I do know that Omicron is so much more contagious and that the vaccines are not protecting us from that variant very well. She mentioned people getting Covid multiple times. I think I will be living with my mask on for a very long time when I do go out. Actually any Covid vaccines for me now will be ineffective for 90 days because of this treatment. I just know I don't want to get this again!!!!

Take care everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited July 2022

Glad to hear about your scan, wheatfields!

Nancy, hoping you feel better soon. I agree with that nurse, that everyone will probably eventually get it, including the asymptomatic cases that no one knows about. My case in Dec wasn't as bad as yours, but it was still pretty bad and I would not want it again. I'm happier in a mask and when others are wearing them around me. I was disheartened when I was called into the chemo room this week (zoladex shot), and the nurse had her mask hanging around her mouth. In the chemo room. I kind of stared at her and tugged at my own mask to make sure it was secure, which then reminded her, apparently, to pull hers up.

• intolight
    edited July 2022

Hooray Wheatfields! So happy to hear about your scan results!!!

gb, I agree with you that we will all get Covid either for the first time or again. I think I got it before Covid became well-known, but am unsure. I have not had it that I know of during the pandemic even though I was heavily exposed several times. My daughter, the new RN, says most nurses aren't overly concerned anymore. They think it is inevitable, like the flu, and go to work even when sick. I don't agree, but I can't fight the masses. I wear my mask in the hospital/doctor setting but rarely anywhere else here in Colorado but wore it always in California. People are more spread out here, and we were surrounded by young twenty-somethings in Cali who were not as careful. That was the beach community culture. I do use sanitizer a lot and keep my distance. I have not had my third booster yet and am debating whether to get it...

I am feeling better. The stomach pain is gone--probably IBS flare-up. I never called. I am still weak but I think that is meds--part of the reason I hesitate to get the booster. MY DH has really stepped up with the housework and anything else I need. It has improved my daily outlook. My daughter wants a puppy so we will see how that goes! Our city is celebrating the Fourth of July today with fireworks, etc., so we are having a family Bar B Que here at our house. I've been told we will have a great view from our balcony.

Have a great day dear sisters in Christ. Celebrate our freedom and cherish the peace.

Love, Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2022

Thanks GB. I wish I could say I am better but I am not.

Chris, I am glad you are not having the stomach pain that you were. I hope you had a good celebration with your BBQ and fireworks.

Poor Cammie was so scared last night. Someone in the empty field behind my house was shooting off fireworks non stop for a very long time. I imagine tonight will be a repeat of that.

Carol, I read your blog. I could so identify with that. When I was first on this forum in 2014 there were many stage 4 ladies and then there was me. I made the mistake of not acknowledging my own disease because it certainly dimmed in comparison to theirs. I had many other physical challenges but again nothing stacked up to theirs in my mind. So what is the answer. We are called to love everyone around us in the best way that we know how. Feeling guilty is not the answer even though it is like telling someone who is depressed to just be happy.

Today I am feeling depressed and will just put it out there. I am not well like I "should" be and the fear of that is encircling me like an ominous dark cloud. I know I need to retest but I am afraid of what it might show. I am discouraged at all the yard work that is still not done and all of the bags of mulch still stacked in my driveway. My master bathroom desperately needs cleaning and I have cleaned a tiny bit of it so I won't go crazy!!! I am tired of being alone. I am having my groceries delivered today again and I am thankful that I have that option now. I am thankful that I can still have church online. I am grateful that God saw fit for me to see a tiny baby bunny on my patio to lift my spirits. I have reminded myself many times before that this too shall pass. I just wish that I could be given a date!!!!!

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited July 2022

Nancy, I feel sad that you are struggling today and am praying God will lift your depression. I know first-hand what it feels like to not get things done...to have things hanging over you like an ominous cloud. When I look around at my half-decorated new house I know my life has changed. I no longer am able to do most housework and instead watch my husband struggle to learn and do all the things I have done for the last fifty years. This is not what I envisioned our retirement to look like. My servant heart wants to do for him as he ages but that is not to be. I wanted to travel more and even do some missions work in Kenya. I thought I was called to that, but today I can't even leave my house to attend church. I don't go on outings with my granddaughter for fear I will get sick when I am out and embarass everyone--well, me.

What I have to remind myself is to look for little joys like your baby bunny: To let God send me small blessings and draw on His daily strength. I was under the misunderstanding that I was the strong one and could do anything. But God wants me to rely on Him. He wants me to allow Him to show me that He can take care of me, His tiny sparrow. I just told a friend yesterday that God is always the Rabbi teaching in every situation. The hypocrit in me realizes He is teaching me too. Yesterday I had a great day with family in my home, something that we haven't enjoyed in over ten years. Even though I had a rough morning, God allowed me some good time so we could eat and enjoy the fireworks. We had an amazing unobstructed view of our community firework display right off our balcony. The neighbors started their fireworks at least an hour before that, and we could watch all that too. One neighbor just now got visited by the local police (anything that leaves the ground is illegal) so I am hoping he won't continue on after eleven o-clock tonight like he did last night. But I got to enjoy that too!

gb, I am stage IV but I don't want you to feel any guilt over anything that you can't control. God told Peter only that "What is that to you? You must follow me" John 21:22. It makes me happy you are doing well with your treatment. I am also happy my 98 year-old aunt is doing well. I sometimes feel guilt when I see the news, or think of my best friend dying of cancer after only an eighteen-month battle, but then I remember I am only here by the grace of God. Do I want complete healing? Yes of course, but more than that I want to be obedient and to glorify God in all that I do. God has changed my heart and my wishes. Things that make me happy now have changed from when I was healthy. I am thankful for the dynamic love of God. He makes all things new. Chris

• wheatfields
    edited July 2022

Nancy I am so sorry you are struggling and not feeling good either, we will surely lift you up in prayer and pray also that the Lord would provide many small blessings like the little bunny and your heart would encouraged.

Chris, I'm glad you are feeling better and enjoyed family and fireworks. I always loved Colorado and am hoping you will too. I've flown through Denver many times and there was a bakery in the airport on second floor that had wonderful chocolate chip cookies and I would get a couple dozen to freeze at home and allow myself one per week. But now with the virus I haven't been flying where I have to change planes.

Wheatfields

• hersheykiss
    edited July 2022

Nancy, I'm so sorry that you are feeling discouraged. I pray that today will be a better day and you will soon turn the corner on COVID.

Chris, I am happy that your July 4th celebration with family was a good one. I can imagine that the view from your balcony was fantastic. Not having to drive to and from a fireworks show sounds wonderful to me!

GB, I too feel safer when others around me are wearing masks. I live in an area with high community transmission. All my doctors and their staffs wear masks, but not my pharmacist, the pharmacy technicians, my physical therapist, or the PT aides. That I do not understand, so I continue to wear my mask in public.

My PT sessions ended on Thursday. Thank you for your prayers! I have my exercises and stretches that I do twice a day, so unless something quickly goes downhill I feel pretty confident in the home treatment plan.

Wishing everyone an enjoyable (and relatively quiet) Independence Day!

• sunshine99
    edited July 2022

Dear Nancy, I'm so sorry you're not feeling better yet, and that depression is hanging over you like a cloud. I pray that God sends you little shafts of light and that no one implies that you "should" just be happy. I wish I could help lift the cloud over you. I'm glad my blog post spoke to you. Guilt - especially for something we can't control - is such a heavy burden.

Intolight, wheatfields, gb, hersheykiss, I wish for all of you a peaceful day. (My apologies to anyone I left out.)

Carol

• intolight
    edited July 2022

Nancy, I am praying for you today and that God sits beside you and His presence lifts you up.

I hope my words did not imply to just "be happy"... that was never my intent and is wrong in so many ways. If I hurt someone with my words, please forgive me and throw them away with the chaff. If I could I would sit with you all and cry with you.

I read this morning the words written just before a friend died of a brain tumor... "Are you running towards life or running away from death?" I have to sit and chew on this for awhile.

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2022

Thank you all for your prayers. I really appreciate them and your posts. I went to bed with a bad headache and woke up with one too. I have to get out today and pick up some things at the store. My grocery delivery this weekend goofed on one of my orders so now I need to get more food to last for the week. I have to go to the vet and get Cammie's needed appetite stimulant meds which Chewy online was out of stock. So this will be my first time out and I hope I am up to it.

I did do another covid test today and have tested negative which I was relieved. I did hear from a friend that she knows many people who have contracted Covid in the last few weeks and has been hit pretty hard with it. Not that I want others to suffer from this but it made me feel a bit better knowing it is not just me that is struggling and that maybe it is going to take a while to recover from this. I did find a landscaping business that is obviously a Christian based operation. They had a unique approach in that you would get $20 off if you read this particular passage from the Bible which was on salvation. We are expecting rain for several days in a row so I may wait and see if I see a dramatic improvement in the way I feel before reaching out to them.

Chris, you didn't say anything wrong in your post. I am so sorry that you have been struggling so much. I am feeling emotionally better than that day I posted so I am relieved about that. If I could feel physically better it would help. Yesterday I am sure most of you have heard on the news that there was a mass shooting in a Chicago suburb that happened during this town's July 4th parade. This has been upsetting on many levels. I have endured three nights of fireworks from my neighbors which has been frustrating to say the least as Cammie is terrorized by this. Yesterday there were fireworks going on outside my bedroom window at 5am and I am pretty sure I know who was the culprit. I was fuming as sleep has not come easy to me these last two weeks. Is this another test I did not pass????

I hope you all enjoyed your holiday weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2022

Hi everyone,

I thought I would send you my last picture taken before getting sick. Actually this brunch at my church celebrating our 55 yr anniversary is where I think I contracted Covid. They honored a Christian lady who has had a huge impact on my life as a teacher, counselor, psychologist and now an ordained pastor. She leads mission trips all over the world and is just an amazing and inspirational person. She organized this huge event where hundreds were in attendance. At our table were beautiful roses and she made sure that we ALL went home with something on the table as she hates to waste anything. So I decided that day that I would pick out a rose worthy of making into a card to send to her as she was recuperating from back surgery and still managed to organize this big event.

I saw my doctor on Wed. and when the nurse came in she said it is taking people a long time to get over Covid. The doctor told me it would takes weeks to feel better. When he could tell how discouraged I was he said well in your case since you are in good health he predicted two more weeks. I didn't know if that was just a pep talk or what. Yesterday I felt better than I had been feeling and decided to go about my day doing my normal things. Well by evening when I had to get my garbage containers to the curb I could hardly make it out there. So thinking I could just will myself better obviously didn't quite work out like I thought it might. He told me to slowly get back into my walking which I haven't done yet.

Chris, I think you were seeing your oncologist yesterday. How did that go? Will you have scans anytime soon to see if your new med is working?

I have prayed for all of you and I hope you are doing well. I can't believe it is Friday already. Have a good weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited July 2022

Nancy, beautiful rose picture. I am sorry it is taking you so long to recover from Covid. I am hearing the same thing from others. It is wonderful to have someone in your life who is such a blessing and that you were able to see her but I am sorry you ended up with Covid from it.

My oncology appointment went fine and I have a scan scheduled for the 22nd to see if the Verzenio is working. Thanks for asking. Meanwhile, I can do things in 15 minute increments, then I sit a while. At least I can do that. I rarely go out if I can help it just in case I need a bathroom close by. It is what it is.

Have a blessed weekend everyone. Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2022

Thank you Chris. I am sorry to hear others you know are suffering from the ill effects of Covid. I can't imagine dealing with what you are for such a long time. For me acceptance of what is was the part I needed to come to terms with. It sounds like you have done that and know your limitations. I am still trying to figure that out. I know it took me a long time to get to the kitchen tonight to fix dinner and now gaining strength to clean up is another battle.

I am still dealing with GI issues so I understand what you are saying. Without TMI my issues are not the same but still ones that make it hard to be in public for very long.

Are you adjusting to the altitude any better? Continued prayers for you.

Have a good weekend.

Love

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited July 2022

Good morning, lovely ladies! Chris, I have you down for the 22nd for your scan. That's this month, (July), right?

Nancy, I'm sorry you're deaing with GI issues. I don't like that we need to plan our days around bathroom locations! I heard from two more neighbors yesterday that they have COVID.

Wishing everyone a restful day with minimal (or just normal) bathroom visits!

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited July 2022

Hi dear sisters,

I am doing better but still dealing with fatigue. I have done some work in my yard and replaced flowers that bit the dust when I was not able to properly take care of them. I have been enjoying my hummingbirds. Yesterday late afternoon I finally got up my cascading fountain in my front yard. That felt like a great accomplishment and I was so grateful that it was probably the easiest time I have ever had putting it up. My solar equipment is now almost impossible to find. Either things have been discontinued or are out of stock. Last year I bought some backup parts just in case so I had those to use this year. I was so thrilled after watching this YouTube tutorial on how to repair fountain pumps. It was getting to the point where I was buying a new pump every year (I have two water fountains) and after watching these videos I took some of my old pumps that were sitting around and actually got them to work!!!! I was so thrilled. I am still waiting to get one more fountain up but that takes my neighbor next door to lift it up for me. I did mention it yesterday to him and he is willing to help. It will take him all of a minute to do. I am thankful for neighbors willing to help. If you love hummingbirds you might check out Robbie from S.Cal on Youtube. Her place is loaded with hummingbird feeders and birdbaths. If you google Robbie and hummingbirds I think you will find them. It always gives me a chance to smile while trying to have patience is this recovery.

Have a good day everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited July 2022

Nancy, it sounds like you are doing much better. Simple yard work tasks can be tiring even when one isn't dealing with fatigue. I'm impressed with your pump repair skills! My husband frequently uses YouTube for home maintenance jobs and repairs. It can be a wonderful, cost-effective resource. I'm glad that you found helpful videos to successfully complete the repairs.

Chris, I'm happy to see that your oncology appointment went well and praying that you receive a good scan report on the 22nd.

Wishing everyone a peaceful rest of the week.

• intolight
    edited July 2022

Nancy, so happy you are feeling better. I would love to be able to do some light yard work but I can't bend over without getting sick, so sadly it is not to be, I miss working with my flowers. We have a short growing season in Colorado anyway.

Hershey, thank you for thinking of me. My scan was moved to tomorrow. There is no rush, just availability. I gladly took it as the one on the 22nd was scheduled for 6:45 am and I don't do mornings well. This one is 1:30 pm yay! I had my faslodex shots yesterday so I am hoping I don't have pain from them the next couple of days. Last time was a little rough.

I never sent the picture of the mini fake anniversary cake my aunt made of the replica of my original one 50 years ago, so here it is. The cake wasn't all that big, but she made four full-sized sheet cakes to serve with it back then. The cake toppers are my original one and my parents. The only original picture has our pictures in it also and it is not real clear.

. The gold teapot was from my grandparen'ts 50th anniversary. I think three generations of 50th anniversaries is amazing!

imageimage